Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LOST HOUR  (Read 34067 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LOST HOUR
« on: April 04, 2004, 12:01:08 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've reset your clocks, your clocks have reset you, and now it's time to post until the cows come home because we've lost a fershluganah hour.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 12:02:17 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LOST HOUR
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 12:10:20 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  Happy Daylight Saving time.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 12:17:32 AM »

Grilled sea bass with some kind of ginger sauce was my fish dish. The garlic noodles -- to die for.
It's rather strange walking over fish (unless you're the son of God, I suppose). A lovely evening.
To anyone who has not read the notes, (bad!)this will be an incredibly strange post.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 12:18:22 AM »

Has anyone noticed that today's date, written numerically, is 04-04-04?

Not that it means anything.

Some people might say otherwise about the date two years, two months, and two days from now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 04:06:27 AM »

Well  I for one forgot to chnage my clocks. Thanks to all the wonderful DR who posted about it yesterday. I caught up on those notes first and then went onto today's notes and postings. My computer automatically adjusts itself for the change over but now I have to go and change the other clocks around the house.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 04:14:42 AM »

I listen to the Melbourne cast recording of A Little Night Music lst night. It is a limited edition pressed for the cast and crew of the show and was recorded live. A sort of strange duck live recording. Some songs have applause at the end of the tracks and some don't. It follows the Broadway version so there is no My Husband the Pig, Table Conversation, The Glamorous Life that includes both the stage and film versions or Silly People that find their way into other productions. I also believe (Without looking at the script) that it is song complete including the first cast recording of the complete sung overture. (see my next posting)

Which brings me to the queery from yesterday, which I think confused some people. I was not asking if the Quintet was an optional (They are important for the action) but rather when the show is performed is it necessary for the overture to be sung by the Quintet or can it be played solely by the orchestra. I always felt that is a device used by the director at the time and should have to be followed by future directors of the piece.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 04:44:26 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 04:24:10 AM »

Good morning, all!  Well, my computer's clock automatically changed over but this body knows full well it's really 6:25 am no matter what the damned clocks say!
I'm up, but barely moving.

Sorry I was E&T yesterday, but everyone seems to have had a good day: Freddy was safe, Jay saw my multitalented friend Jason, Swishy became a true activist, Jenny saw ASSASSINS, Dear Friend BK and DR Panni had a lovely dinner, and I spent the day pricing new VCRs since mine ate its final tape Friday night:  it was Joan Sutherland's dreadful "Merry Widow" from Australian Opera so I won't miss it.

Looking forward to chat tonight, I hope to see a lot of you there!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 04:31:21 AM »

Getting back to the wonderful and well sung cast recording. It even has the ever so brief reprises of songs (Weekend in the Country, Every Day a Little Death, Soon, You Must Meet My Wife)

But I just realized that they do not have the Night Waltz 2 (The Sun Sits Low) which are brief snippets like the above. Now were they in the show and dropped from the recording or dropped from this production. Too bad because it would have made this recording most complete out there.
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 04:33:19 AM »

Clocks, schmocks!  All I know is that I get hosed out of an hour this weekend...!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 04:38:44 AM »

Sounds like you enjoyed the Cd Michael. I'll try and remember to dig out the programme and check if Night Waltz 2 was included.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 04:53:42 AM »

The musical numbers list in the programme is not as detailed as that listed on the Cd Michael. Can't remember back 6 years!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 06:29:43 AM »

That description of dinner made me so hungry. Now I must eat!

I also forgot to change the clocks.  When I woke up it was 7:45am, but my VCR said 8:45am.  I'm now gonna go clean for Passover and probably watch Trump on SNL.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 06:59:09 AM »

This week's new Broadway Radio Show will be up later this afternoon and this week is a literary detour as famed author Bruce Kimmel joins us to read passages from his new tome, "Kritzer Time."
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 09:02:36 AM »

Twelve posts?  It MUST be Daylight Savings Time.  Let's get some topics going, shall we whilst we search for the lost hour and the lost chord.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 09:12:11 AM »

I, too was totally E&T yesterday as I spent the entire day helping a friend get his home theater set up. Very complicated as he had some pieces of it already (HDTV, DVD player, some speakers), but totally lacking in others like center channel speaker, subwoofer, and the like. I've done this work for others of my friends, but his was the most complicated and presented the most problems. By 2 a.m. (which was 3 a.m. courtesy of DST), I was home diving into my bed from total physical and mental exhaustion. But we got it done and everything setup properly.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2004, 09:13:36 AM »

Since I didn't get to answer yesterday's TOD, let me say I'd loved to have been on the set of A STAR IS BORN (Garland version) and HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE both before and after the Joan Crawford debacle. That had to have been one of the most fascinating sets ever.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2004, 09:16:57 AM »

Good morning. A small noodle world. I took the wonderdog to the park this morning. The usual group was there. There are several people who have become "dog buddies" in the park. We basically know each other's first names and our dogs' names (Max, Riley, Duggan, Lucy, Abie the Wonderdog, etc.). So, as the dogs frolicked I mentioned to Duggan's owners that I'd dined at Crustacean last night. They both looked at me, eyes glowing with early morning hunger, "Did you have the garlic noodles?!"
The noodle that built an empire.

Panni

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 09:25:57 AM »

I just glanced over at my classic movie posters calendar and the poster for April is THE PAINTED VEIL with Garbo, Herbert Marshall and George Brent. (There's an exciting choice of lovers - Marshall or Brent. I never could figure out the allure of George Brent.) Anyway, my point, and yes I have one, is to ask the DRs if they've seen THE PAINTED VEIL. I never have and am curious. The description on the poster sound intriguing: "An adaptation of W. Somerset Maugham's story of a love triangle about an adulterous wife and her embittered husband in mysterious and alluring colonial Asia."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 09:26:37 AM by Panni »

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2004, 09:26:04 AM »

Jeez, now I'm going to have to have dinner some night soon at Crustacean, and eat the garlic noodles. Can't believe how my mouth is watering so early!!!

Another day of hacking through brush... but, oh, how lovely the garden is looking! Back after clippage and haulage. Can't wait to burn the brush pile some evening in May!!!

Jane - I'm thinking Wednesday...

LA Haninsies, see you next weekend!
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2004, 09:50:41 AM »

Yes, DRPANNI, I have seen The Painted Veil - and it is Garbo looking lovely, but a bit of a mess story-wise.  It was remade years later under a different title with Eleanor Parker!

I like it because it has Herbert Marshall - who of course played Maugham most famously in the 1946 version of The Razor's Edge.  It shows now and then on TCM, and you can check their website to see if it's scheduled, or request it!

Freddy the Cat!  One time my cousin and her daughter returned home from a weekend trip.  The cat seemed to be missing.  My cousin Lana asked:  "Gina, do you know where the cat is?"  Gina replied: "I didn't want him to run away so I put him in the record player."  It was a suitcase type phonography.  Lana tapped lightly on the top, no sound, she slowly released the latches and began to lift the lid!  Suddenly the cat jumped straight into the air several feet, bounced off all the walls of the room and tore through the front door screen, never to be seen again.  And don't you, somedays, feel just like a cat in a phonograph?  I know I do.

Although it's not a movie, and since I was E/T yesterday, I would love to have been on the set for an I LOVE LUCY episode, probably "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" or "Lucy is Enciente."  And if I HAVE to choose a movie, "The Long Long Trailer".

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2004, 09:51:38 AM »

Td we enjoyed the movie as always.  Have you done research into Lawrence’s life?  Did he really go a bit mad during that time?   From what we can tell he was fine once he returned home.

SWW are they replacing the table for you or are you now on a hunt for a new one?  We rarely buy things that need construction, especially furniture.  It seems the furniture store should have assembled the table to make sure there wasn’t a problem.

I think Jay & DearReaderLaura need to exchange cell phone numbers for these spontaneous trips. :D

Panni which park do you go to?  I can’t resist asking.  Did Bruce share the whip cream or eat it all himself? ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2004, 09:52:30 AM »

Penny call on Wednesday & give us a time.

Panni

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2004, 09:58:07 AM »

I just got the following e-mail query   ???  from a teacher friend in New Mexico. Thought this would be the perfect place to throw it open for ideas:

"I have a group that gets together to watch and discuss great films.  For an upcoming such event, I am considering a change in the format:  instead of watching a whole film, we would watch some great passages --scenes, vignettes-- from a good handful of different films.  These passages --of a duration up to, say, 10 minutes-- would presumably be chosen for their being powerful/interesting/meaningful in a way that would make them worthy of exploration by a group that is interested in using film experience as a way of going deep into the truths of our existence.  Or some such formulation of "worth discussing."  

Do any really good scenes of this sort come to your mind?

One that came to my mind today I'll describe briefly just to provide an illustration.  In CABARET there is a scene where a young and beautiful German boy starts singing a bright and innocent song to this wholesome looking Germanic community, and over the course of that song the character of the music, and the faces of the people change until the original sweet-sounding hymn becomes a menacing and militaristic Nazi style rally.  I found it breathaking when I first saw it, and can imagine that some good conversation might be sparked by watching such a passage."

...Suggestions, DRs?

Panni

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2004, 10:04:51 AM »

Jrand53 - "Somedays, I feel just like a cat in a phonograph." -- I LOVE it. And how true!

Jane - The park is off Beeman. I go there twice a day, 7 days a week, so you'd think I could be more precise! I think it's just called Studio City Park.
As for the whipped cream - there wasn't much - and no one Bogarts the whipped cream when I'm around. Bruce shared very nicely.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2004, 10:49:03 AM »

CAPRICE was the last movie shot in the original CinemaScope process, just so ya know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2004, 11:17:31 AM »

In a phonograph for 2 days and nights even!  

So many scenes worthy of mention for your friend's group DRPANNI.

But I think I would mention the party scene in the 1946 RAZOR'S EDGE where all the characters are introduced and Larry (Tyrone Power) tries to explain his new-found spirituality to an uninterested Isabel (Gene Tierney).  Neither of the stars were more lovely (except maybe in a Technicolor feature) and they both shine!

And just because of that....Gene Tierney's confession scene to Cornel Wilde in Leave Her to Heaven, wherein she admits to him that yes, she killed his younger brother AND their unborn child because she could not bear to share him with ANYONE ELSE...and that she will never let him go.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2004, 11:43:10 AM »

I always hate changing the clocks ahead.  It takes me about a week to adjust my internal clock to the new time--I want to stay up an hour later and then I suffer in the morning.  And the first day always seems like the longest day in the year.  With today's awful weather here in Philly, it's going to feel longer than usual.

Yesterday I attended the first game held in the Philadelphia Phillies' new ballpark named (ugh!) Citizens Bank Park.  For watching the game, the place can't be beat--there's not a bad seat in the joint.  Even as you move through the other areas around the concession stands or the rest rooms, there is always a view of the field.  If there is one thing wrong with the place, it's that it seems to lack any kind of defining character--architecturally, it's on the bland side and doesn't reflect any kind of Philly flavor.  But aside from that, there's a real grass field, a great deal of the seating is at field level, and a feeling of wide-open space that was sorely lacking in the late and unlamented Verteran's Stadium.  It's a real pleasure watching a game there.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2004, 11:47:31 AM »

Td we enjoyed the movie as always.  Have you done research into Lawrence’s life?  Did he really go a bit mad during that time?   From what we can tell he was fine once he returned home.

Actually, I've done more research into David Lean than I have into Mr. Lawrence, although I have read a monster of a tome on Lawrence. , by Jeremy Wilson which I can heartily recommend.
For the most part, I love all of Lean's films.  Since it happens to be "Free-for-All" Sunday, post-wise, I will say that my favorite Lean films are:

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
SUMMERTIME
GREAT EXPECTATIONS
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
A PASSAGE TO INDIA
OLIVER TWIST
BRIEF ENCOUNTER
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2004, 12:04:42 PM »

Good morning all
DR Jed and I had a wonderful time at Millie last night.  The show is a thoroughly enjoyable one...it sets off to make the audience smile, and it succeeds.  Overall the cast was very strong, and our own Juliana was wonderful, of course.  So sorry that we couldn't see her on a Millie night.  
I must soon be off to an afternoon rehearsal for a few hours, and I'm sure DR Jed will post a longer review for you all while I'm gone.  

TCB - I see you're still online, at least at the moment.  Please let us know how things are going for you before you lose interent access for awhile.  You have been on my mind a lot in the last few days, and I send many many good vibes your way.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up