Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MEN WITH LOUD MACHINES  (Read 39327 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:MEN WITH LOUD MACHINES
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2004, 01:35:04 PM »

Oh....The Fountainhead.  Yes, and when oh when will we have the Atlas Shrugged movie.

I agree with DRCHARLESPOGUE that Gary Cooper was the ideal choice for Howard Roark.  I also like the story that Patricia Neal tells that after one preview, Virginia Mayo came up to her and said:  "Oh my, weren't you bad..."  Neal accepted it as a compliment, until she thought about it a bit longer.  I love The Fountainhead.....the very definition of berserk.  And of course Ayn Rand threatened to blow up the Warner Bros Studio unless her script was done exactly as she had written it....Ayn Rand IS Howard Roark....  Of course she is also Dominique Francon and John Galt and Hank Reardon and most of all Dagny Taggert...a woman who ran a transcontinental railroad and fell in love with the man she had sworn to kill...
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2004, 01:35:51 PM »

Oh, and used up the rest of my store credit and snagged Half a Sixpence, The Little Prince (it's amazing how cheap these DVDs are), Meet Me in St. Louis, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (which I didn't even know was out) and the new DVD of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.  I only got the latter to see if the transfer is better than the French DVD (which is terrific but several years old) and whether the 5.1 sound is great (the French DVD has only a PCM track).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2004, 01:43:26 PM »

As usual, the brisket made me sick so I had to skip most of the seder.  ::)

The highlight of the evening occured as my mother was serving the gefilte fish.
Me: What is it, fish?

LOL.  You had better give the book to your mother to read. ;D

Why do you eat brisket it it makes you sick? ???

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »

Third page celebrate with a shower!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Robin

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2004, 01:47:00 PM »

There are men with loud machines all around me today. Across the street they are cutting down palm trees. Next door -- I'm not sure, but  I think they are digging up a swimming pool.

I identify, BK...a condominium is going up on the lot next to ours.  It's big, and it'll be ug-lee!.  The neighborhood association did everything it could to prevent its' being built in the first place, and then to at least get it down to a reasonable size...all to no avail.  For the last few months (with a respite during the coldest months of winter), we've been treated to men with loud machines every day of the week.  Yes, they work weekends.  

On to happier things with the Topic of the Day:

For movies, I was going to go with Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, which I genuinely, truly adore.  But since someone else has taken it, I'm going to choose Tim Burton's Mars Attacks!, a movie chock-full of disreputable satire...and lots and lots of Hollywood stars dying hilarious deaths.  I honestly think Mars Attacks! is Tim Burton's finest movie to date, and just may be a work of genius.  But apparently, I'm the only person on earth with that opinion.  

For musicals, I'm going to stay with my first choice, even though some one else (oooooooooohhhh!) beat me to it: Dear World.  

For play, I'm going with Dracula by Balderston and Deane.  It's really not all that great, but I've enjoyed many productions of it over the years.  

For book, I'm going to choose something really obscure.  A science-fantasy novel called Autumn Angels by Arthur Byron Cover.  I've loaned copies of this one-printing, paperback-only original out over the years, and they never, ever get returned.  And every time I see a copy of it in used bookstores, I always buy it.  If anyone on this site has actually read this book, I will be bowled over in delighted astonishment.  

For CD: I'm happy to say I totally love Rhino's Golden Throats anthology.  William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"?  Leonard Nimoy's "If I Had a Hammer"?  Sebastian Cabot's "It Ain't Me, Babe"?  Pure genius.  But nothing is quite as brilliant as Jack Webb's "Try a Little Tenderness".  Absolutely, utterly priceless.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2004, 01:49:58 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto your Seder by Gord was a touching, bittersweet story.  How better to get through the first Seder without your mother.

Jay & Stuart together equal twice the fun, double the laughs. ;D

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2004, 01:50:05 PM »

Why do you eat brisket it it makes you sick? ???

I'm Jewish.  It's a rule.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2004, 01:50:08 PM »

DR Matt H - Thank you for the correction... I shudder to think what Fernando Lamas would look like without his shirt off... now.

Ewwww...

-Time to head back into "Eden" for a few hours...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2004, 01:53:43 PM »

I'm Jewish.  It's a rule.

;D ;D Not in this Jewish house-no way! ;D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2004, 01:54:34 PM »

Guilty Pleasures?

TV: King of Queens
Movie(s): Matt Helm series
Book(s): Unauthorized celebrity biographies
Musical: A tie: How Now Dow Jones; Anya

Add my name to the list of Al Carmines fans. Promenade is a pleasure, but there's no guilt by association.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2004, 02:02:06 PM »

BK, MAGNIFICENT MEN has been out for a few weeks. Look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

I popped in YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH today and was disappointed with yet another Columbia transfer. Lots of dirt and no effort to clean it up at all that I could tell. Looking at something like DARK PASSAGE and then at this makes me boiling mad. I know, negatives of different films are in different states of disrepair, but it's maddening to see some of these half-hearted efforts from Columbia.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2004, 02:08:45 PM »

I spent at least to hours at the vets today.  Yesterday Echo had her stitches removed and last night one of the incisions completely opened up.  She is now stapled shut & Keith is calling her Frankenstein.   Since her surgery it has been one thing after another.  First it was blood in her stools so we took her off the antibiotics.  Then she stepped on something, possibly barbed wire, and received a puncture wound between her toes which had to be flushed.  She didn’t like that at all and was hurting all night but we couldn’t give her any aspirin because of the blood.  Because of the puncture wound we put her on an herbal antibiotic, something I had never heard of.  Now, thanks to the stapling, she is on another antibiotic along with pills for her stomach and a special diet for stress induced colitis.  Once again she isn’t allowed to run & play, not that she feels like it today.  I’m sure tomorrow she will return to her happy, energetic self.  But for today we are all tired, frustrated and feeling a bit blue.  

Jane

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2004, 02:13:13 PM »

Oh, and to add to today's fun, our neighbor was a real     .

Nope, I won't say it.  Let's just say he upset us. ::)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2004, 02:48:05 PM »

Oh Dear Reader Jane....

I hope you and DD Echo are back to being yourselves real soon.

Perhaps DR/DB Stuart and I can regale you with stories from when we each were learning to drive to cheer you up.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 02:48:59 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2004, 02:52:30 PM »

Good Recovery Vibes ECHO, Echo, echo .................

And to DR Jane's neighbor: Cool It!

Jane

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2004, 02:52:35 PM »

Please do :D

Jane

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2004, 02:53:43 PM »

Thanks Dan-in-Toronto 8)

Emily

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2004, 03:04:11 PM »

Speaking of guilty pleasures...

With my pockets empty and my mind turned to mush from paper writing I have become especially prone to the curse of trashy reading.

Yes dear Hainsies, I have begun to raid my grandmother's book shelf.

So far I have read a highly self-indulgent Katherine Hepburn autobiography AND a tell-all about Wallis Simpson from the early 70s called... drumroll please... "The Woman He Loved".  

I feel dirty. I also have the sudden urge to get involved with a married or otherwise unattainable man ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 03:05:02 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2004, 03:06:52 PM »

Get well Echo!

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Robin

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2004, 03:07:08 PM »

Good Recovery Vibes ECHO, Echo, echo...

...echo, echo, echo...

When our cat, Bruiser, was ill altogether too recently, I was so distraught...but a decent vet, a special diet and some patented HHW "good vibes" seemed to be just what the beast needed...

So here's some "In the Pink"  GOOD VIBES!!!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2004, 03:10:45 PM »

DR Jane,  I'm sending all my good thoughts today to Echo.  I hope everything turns out well.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2004, 03:13:03 PM »

The very best of healing vibes to Echo from Magnus & Fosca.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2004, 03:14:05 PM »

Poor Echo! My golly but he has had it rough lately! Well here are some very good vibes being sent his way...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D   :D   :o   :D  :D  :D   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D [/move]

And I thought you lived out in the country and didn't have to deal with neighbors! Well, I hope your neighbor quickly gets over whatever is getting his/her knickers in a twist!

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2004, 03:15:57 PM »

Singer Sylvia Froos passed away at age 89 in New York. Among other things she appeared opposite John Boles doing a lovely but sad duet in my favorite musical STAND UP AND CHEER (1934).

Don't know if you all are familiar with her or not, but she had a lovely voice.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2004, 03:18:08 PM »

Emily, thanks and the picture is oh, so cute.

Robin, thank you and we are glad Bruiser is now feeling in the pink himself.

Elmore3003 Echo & I thank you for the good thoughts.  

:D    :D    :D

Jane

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2004, 03:22:34 PM »

All these good vibes are making me feel better already. :D

Echo is taking a nap now so I will thank Magnus & Fosca for her.

MBarnum, so far there is only one house on our street. ;D
And thanks for the vibes.

Laura II

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2004, 03:32:21 PM »

DR Jane, good health vibes to Echo! [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

DR Jenny, don't be embarrassed about the book title! I've always wanted to read that series, just haven't gotten around to it.

I used to love the Betsy-Tacy series. Is anyone else familiar with it?
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2004, 04:23:55 PM »

Finished writing for the day.  Didn't move forward much, but added five pages over four different chapters to flesh out certain things.  I find it hard to believe but I'm in the home stretch of this thing, nine weeks after starting it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2004, 04:25:09 PM »

My brain is behaving poorly - I thought there were over ninety posts a few minutes ago.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2004, 04:38:02 PM »

90 posts?

But this is only 89!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up