Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT  (Read 16164 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:42 AM »

Good morning, all! I think perhaps I will walk down to the Juilliard Bookstore today and check out the Finale 2010 situation. I like browsing among the music and books so I have an additional excuse to go now.

I believe the battery on my carbon monoxide monitor was dying last night; it began chirping around 1 am and continued until I got out of bed, removed it from the wall and removed its battery. I jyst put a new battery in and it seems to be happy once again.

DR TCB! It's good to know you are well and it sounds as though you are having a good time. I am loking forward to the photos.

I learned to read around the age of three or four and the family parlor game was to have me pull records. In 1949 my favrite recording was Khatchaturian's Sabre Dance from the ballet Gayne, recorded by the Boston Pops. It's still one of my favorite pieces and I'm still fond of ballet music, particularly Tchaikovsky, Delibes, and Stravinsky. I'm also still fond of the excellent underrated conductor Arthur Fiedler and the wonderful Boston Pops whose silly recording of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" turned me on to the Beatles. This morning I am listening to Jorge Bolet play Lizst piano pieces; surely the "Mephisto Waltz" is the the source of Sondheim's vamp for "A Weekend in the Country"?

And Elmore- Andrew Lloyd Weber(Sir?) In PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Stole a whole melody from Puccini's opera  LA FANCIULLA DEL WEST

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2009, 08:05:07 AM »

You are correct, DR DRUXY....SONG WITHOUT END.....I was mixing up my movies.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2009, 08:05:58 AM »

DR JMK - I guess I missed the interim.  Are you selling your house because your offer on the Chez DeLuxe was accepted?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2009, 08:08:06 AM »

Cool and rainy here today.

It only took me about half an hour to do what I needed to do - electronics wise.

My up convert DVD had its sound going into the television, and I wanted to send it through the sound system.  I had two VCR's hooked up from back when I would make Video copies of this and that - and neither VCR was run through the sound system.

So....NOW....my up convert is through the system, one VCR is gone (the oldest one), and the newest Toshiba VCR, still probably 9 years old, is working through the sound system and showing up on my TV screen.

Voila!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........DR CP has intrigued me.  I looked up Williams' Anartica Symphony.  There were several recordings available, so I bought the Baitink version which seemed to have several high ratings.  It also doesn't contain any narration, which it seems others did have.  So....I shall soon have a new CD!

DAW

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2009, 08:20:31 AM »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:23:55 AM by DAW »

td

• td
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »

I am so happy to be on virtual vacation with DR TCB.  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2009, 08:23:02 AM »

Has anyone taken the time to watch UP en francais?  Charles Aznavour provides the voice of Mr. Frederickson.  I enjoyed watching UP for the third time last night - the French version.

Julie

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »

DR Julie, I meant to answer your FR inquiry. I doubt I'll be at the show tomorrow. I know this cold is getting passed around backstage and I know that several of the cast have been out because of it. I think I'll stay away for a few more days.

Larry I'm sorry to hear about that.  Does that mean I should anticipate a lot of principal understudies?

td

• td
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:11 AM »

I'm going to ask for some extra special HHW vibes today.

With only about 10 minutes of training, I am going onto the floor at Borders today for an 8 1/2 hour shift. 
I am officially, as of today, a Borders' bookseller.  (Not to mention cashier and barrista).

DAW

« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2009, 08:26:41 AM »

~~~EXTRA-SPECIAL SUCCESS VIBES~~~
FOR DR td!!!!!!!

Your natural personality should win over any customer!!!!!     :)  :)  :)

Julie

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2009, 08:27:36 AM »

Congrats to DR td -  and vibes for a great first day.  I am sure you will be wonderful at it. 

Laura

« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2009, 08:30:49 AM »

Vibes for td.  You'll do fine!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »

Bookselling vibes for DR td. 

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2009, 08:45:11 AM »

Not a classical music memory, but one of my earliest "listening" memories had to do with the first television I remember from my toddler years.  It was a gigantic blonde Sears Silvertone black and white console (on metal legs)--a big, square boxy thing with what was probably a 20 inch or so screen.  The top lifted up and there was a record player inside (not, of course, a stereo, and I don't even think it was officially a "hi-fi").  My parents had a stack of old 78s they kept in the living room and I remember to this day putting on the old Edward R. Murrow "You Can Hear it Now" 78s, only to discover the tonearm had no needle in it.  So I then discovered if I placed my fingernail ever so gingerly on the record, I could actually hear it!  I still remember the sensation of the sound vibrations on my finger and how funny it was to hear the radio broadcasts emanating from my fingernail.

Did you feel like Helen Keller?

I'm not sure...how does Helen Keller feel?

(Very carefully).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2009, 08:46:17 AM »

DR JMK - I guess I missed the interim.  Are you selling your house because your offer on the Chez DeLuxe was accepted?

Offer not accepted yet...hopefully we'll know one way or the other this week.  That said, we're (hopefully) selling this house one way or another.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2009, 09:02:49 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........DR CP has intrigued me.  I looked up Williams' Anartica Symphony.  There were several recordings available, so I bought the Baitink version which seemed to have several high ratings.  It also doesn't contain any narration, which it seems others did have.  So....I shall soon have a new CD!

Jrand, the first time I heard it was with narration by Ralph Richardson.  Just brief quotes between the movements.  The one I currently have has no narration.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »

That's funny.  Apparently 1:30 a.m. is not the best time to find Haineses online.  We just docked in Sardinia and the day is beautiful.  The termperature is supposed to get into the mid-Seventies.

Ron, I wish you had told me yesterday about all Italian men having wives but still taking calls from strange men.  Davide would have been worth making a pass.

Oh well, there are other Davides in the sea.

Ciao, babies!

Ah, TCB.  I lived/worked  in Italy 9 1/2 years in my military career.  Had I known much earlier that you were going to be spending time there, I'd have prepared a briefing sheet "for your eyes only" on things to see and do, interesting Italian expressions, etc.   Did you by any chance see the house of the Vetti brothers in Pompeii?  There is a very (in)famous mural there of Priapus using his "asset" on a set of scales.  It clearly came out in his favor although the other side of the scale was heaped with gold or some other commodity of value.  LOL.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »

Thanks, DR CP.  The Baitink single disk got some really good reviews, others with good reviews were Williams sets that were more expensive.

So we shall see.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2009, 09:22:40 AM »

Happy Birthday to Mr Rock Hudson.  :'(

JMK

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:21 AM »

All of RVW's Symphonies are wonderful.  I highly recommend No. 4 (I have the Previn-LSO which is quite good).  JR, I have that Haitink and it's excellent.  If you're unfamiliar with RVW, spend an afternoon with the ravishing Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.  Easily one of the most gorgeous examples of string writing ever.

FJL

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »

Speaking of classical:  Has this conjoining of Mary Poppins with Electric dreams-style sounds ever been posted here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Za-V_lhwGg

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2009, 09:32:44 AM »

DR Julie, I meant to answer your FR inquiry. I doubt I'll be at the show tomorrow. I know this cold is getting passed around backstage and I know that several of the cast have been out because of it. I think I'll stay away for a few more days.

Larry I'm sorry to hear about that.  Does that mean I should anticipate a lot of principal understudies?

No, so far as I know. Cheyenne was out one day last week and Taylor went on for him but I gather the understudies are getting put up to snuff to jump in when needed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2009, 09:34:46 AM »

Three southern belles on MILLIONAIRE - question....which playwright worked in the 1930's at a Missouri shoe company with a man named Stanley Kowalski.

They thought it must be Arthur Miller.....but their phone a friend at least knew it was Tennessee Williams.  Even then they used their double dip....at least they finally tried Williams.

What kind of TEST do they give these people? 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »

I'm up and shall shortly toddle over to the postal office and hope for no line.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »

Vibes and xylophones for td.

FJL

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »

Vibes upon vibes for td!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »

All of RVW's Symphonies are wonderful.  I highly recommend No. 4 (I have the Previn-LSO which is quite good).  JR, I have that Haitink and it's excellent.  If you're unfamiliar with RVW, spend an afternoon with the ravishing Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.  Easily one of the most gorgeous examples of string writing ever.

His "Serenade To Music" in it's original setting for 16 voices  and orchestra, which is far superior to the version without voices, is so beautiful. It was supposedly written for the 16 best singers in England at the time and their names, not their vocal type like soprano or tenor) are listed in the published score. The text is from THE MERCHANT OF VENICE,

My copy of Symphony No 7 (Sinfonia Antractica) is conducted by Leonard Slatkin
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »

Of the Back Bay Slatkins?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »

I'm going to ask for some extra special HHW vibes today.

With only about 10 minutes of training, I am going onto the floor at Borders today for an 8 1/2 hour shift. 
I am officially, as of today, a Borders' bookseller.  (Not to mention cashier and barrista).

Give 'em hell, DR td!

And when people ask for the Sarah Palin book, direct them to the humor section.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up