Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 43916 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2004, 09:55:43 AM »

Yes DRStuart, Dory Previn sand the VOTD theme song on the album.  Helen's song on the album was by Eileen Wilson, and Gail Heineman...I think that is the singer's name.  So when you get the CD, you don't get a lot of the songs that you MIGHT have enjoyed in the movie.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2004, 09:55:58 AM »

Good morning. May I rant?  :o  I just saw an interview with Nia Vardalos (MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING). Her new film, CONNIE AND CARLA, is about two performers on the run from the mob, who become stars in a drag show, as men posing as women (who are actually women). And a guy falls in love with one of them...You fill in the blanks.  In other words, SOME LIKE IT HOT meets VICTOR/VICTORIA.
I have one simple question (two really) - Is there an original film idea left in the world? And - How can they get away with this?
(Same rant goes for the new Jennifer Garner film - 13 GOING ON 30 - "A 13 year old girl plays a game on her 13th birthday and wakes up the next day as a 30 year old woman."  aka BIG.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2004, 10:03:43 AM »

But Panni, those ideas are TOTALLY different.  It's WOMEN instead of MEN.   ::) ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2004, 10:12:40 AM »

LOL....yes I had my VOTD album before the movie was released!  Probably in November, 1967, or so.  

RLP check out SquareDeal.com you can give the transaction number and the problem and THEY contact the other party and deal with them.  It's free and it works!

Worst movie musical for me is LOST HORIZON, because I love the original film so much, and with the cast they had, I thought it would really be good.  And I think with different composer/lyricist, it might have worked.

A CHORUS LINE is close, but there are some moments in there that I like.  And of course I like all the Beach Party movies!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2004, 10:13:21 AM »

I have to say I was a little surprised that it took until Post #12 to get to A CHORUS LINE.  It's just horrible!

Likewise Annie.  Another case of an Oscar winning director being rewarded with a valuable project despite not being at all an appropriate choice.

I also think the Broadway Melody of 1940 is incredibly dull, with the exception of the tap segment of "Begin the Beguine"

I'll go along with DR Ben who mentions Sweet Charity as the bad movie musical favorite.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2004, 10:17:14 AM »

DR Dan (The Man):  ACH!  I'm wounded!  "The Broadway Melody of 1940" is dull?  Ohmygosh!  With all those great numbers???  And all that mugging by George Murphy???? I find it endlessly entertaining! :D

BK:  There have been a couple of more exchanges on the "Daisy Clover" thread...checkitout!

"American Idol" slipped in the ratings last week.  Instead of finishing one-two, it finished two-three (Tuesday and Wednesday editions).

No doubt it's because DR Pogue did NOT watch last week!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2004, 10:21:39 AM »

RLP, I have responded over there - even with the irrefutable proof he STILL doesn't admit he's wrong.  A bit of a psycho-sociopath, I'm afraid.  And he wrote me an e-mail and STILL thinks he's responsible for MGM doing La Mancha and I Could Go on Singing in their proper ratio.  Unbelievable.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2004, 10:22:16 AM »

Well my suggestions for the reading of Kritzer Time....after much deliberation are:

Page 236 from the *** to the end of the chapter.....

Chapter Six....when Benjamin writes his first song....and don't forget to play the CD!

And the other part....you can't read because it would reveal a MAJOR book development....but it is the graduation ceremony.

Yesterday DRCHARLESPOGUE mentioned that Scaramouche is his favorite George Sidney movie...and I enjoy it as well.

But that leads me to a question:  the leading lady is Eleanor Parker.  She is a beautiful woman, she is a good actress, but I could never really warm to her as a performer no matter what character she is playing?  Does anyone else feel this way about a performer?  She does everything right, but she seems a bit cold in everything I have seen her in, even CAGED!

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »

DR JRand: Are you sure that website is right?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2004, 10:26:37 AM »

DR Dan (The Man):  ACH!  I'm wounded!  "The Broadway Melody of 1940" is dull?  Ohmygosh!  With all those great numbers???  And all that mugging by George Murphy???? I find it endlessly entertaining! :D

Yeah, "dull" was a poor choice of words.  Maybe just "disappointing", considering it had Astaire and Powell.   For me, it just lay there like so much fish.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2004, 10:28:56 AM »

Thanks Jrand - I'll check out those sections.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2004, 10:29:57 AM »

Likewise Annie.

OOoooh, I forgot about ANNIE being as bad as it is.  I did like the TV version, though.

And thank you for the info on VOTD, DR JRand.  As much as I like all of the ladies songs on the album, I my think my favorite musical moment on the album is the incredibly cheesy, Vegas-y intro arrangement for "Come Live With Me."  (Interrelated is one of my favorite moments in the movie, which  is the ultra-focused pin spot  in which Lee Grant is sitting as her brother makes his entrance to sing above-referenced song.  Plus the expression on her face.)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2004, 11:02:26 AM »

Musicals related question:[/b] I'm interested in examples of movies with characters who are based on Betty Comden and Adolph Green - a platonic couple who write together.  I think The Bandwagon's one.  Others?

There are the Carole Cook-Joe Bova (?) characters from 42ND STREET, but they were so badly set up in the original production I remember being amazed that they were in the show-within-the-show as well as writin it.

And how could I have forgotten the dreadful MOULIN ROUGE as well?  I guess because my mind for safety's sake always thinks of the John Huston film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2004, 11:04:05 AM »

We own the Tony Scotti album on which he sings again Come Live With Me. We think he made two albums (he may have made more) but we have only seen the one we have Starring Tony Scotti, featuring the Theme from Valley of the Dolls. High camp value here folks.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2004, 11:05:24 AM »

I think we just broke through and are at Message Number 37,002. Larry E. made it message 37,000 and these two make it 37,002

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2004, 11:07:01 AM »

...I do enjoy the film version of Sweet Charity. Don't know why, but I always enjoy it when I see it.
Part of why I enjoy Sweet Charity is the joy of watching Bob Fosse discover a new toy, having so much fun directing his first film.  "I'm a Brass Band" is spectacular.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2004, 11:10:24 AM »

MattH, I love THE PIRATE! After SINGING IN THE RAIN, it is my favourite Gene Kelly musical.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2004, 11:23:25 AM »

I don't know if it was good or bad because no one ever mentions it and I never saw it.. BUT it popped into my head just now... So, has anyone got an opinion on NEWSIES?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2004, 11:24:11 AM »

And that's what makes horse racing and why I do these here topics.  So much fun.  

I'm glad someone is keeping track of our marvelous posting record - I'm only doing the landmarks, so our next real celebration (and it will be a biggie) will be the rapidly approaching 40,000 post mark.  

My least favorite movie musicals:

Lost Horizon (but it IS a guilty pleasure)
A Chorus Line (the absolute worst)
Annie
Moulin Rouge (even though it's not a real musical)
At Long Last Love
Man of La Mancha (shame on all of them)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2004, 11:25:57 AM »

I think Newsies could have been good with a director and choreographer who knew what they were doing.  Kenny Ortega just doesn't cut it and the film doesn't work at all.  I've watched it a few times and I really like some of the score a lot, but it needed a surer hand and someone who could have worked with both screenwriter and songwriters to make it flow better.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2004, 11:27:18 AM »

DR JRand: Are you sure that website is right?

No....it's SquareTrade NOT SquareDeal....duh!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2004, 11:28:30 AM »

And how could I have forgotten the dreadful MOULIN ROUGE as well?  I guess because my mind for safety's sake always thinks of the John Huston film.
That's because everyone's giving the wrong title to the more recent film.  The Huston film of '52 is Moulin Rouge, the Lurhmann film of '01 is Moulin Rouge! with self-hyping exclamation point.

Let's just say the difference between the two is the difference between Jose Ferrer and John Leguizamo...with the latter in a tiny (oops) supporting role.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2004, 11:34:04 AM »

For some reason, der Brucer is listening to the LP of Applause.  Great cast.  Hearing the score coming from another room, it's amazing how much Bacall sounds like Davis!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2004, 11:35:06 AM »

I like the NEWSIES CD in part...."Santa Fe" is such a pretty want song!  But the dancing is so out anachronistic, it spoils the movie for me....and then, as much as I love her, any movie made after 1990 in which Miss Ann-Margret plays a sex object is just misguided....  Again, I love her, but her career as a hot box has bottomed out.

DRBEN I also have that Tony Scotti album....and yes I love Lee's pinspot at the club!  Is that Johnny Williams at the piano in that scene?  And how about that tux - what the hell color is that?  I like "Come Live With Me" especially the arrangement later on in Jennifer's suicide scene....  But of course Helen's big number is the best part of the evening....what the hell IS that supposed to be?  Is it a revue, is it a book musical?  It has to have scenes because that's all Neely has left if they cut her song, but what the hey?  HIT THE SKY!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2004, 11:37:12 AM »

Let's just say the difference between the two is the difference between Jose Ferrer and John Leguizamo...with the latter in a tiny (oops) supporting role.

I'd simply say that the Huston film good and the faux MOULIN ROUGE!!!  is rotten.

DR CharlesPogue, I love THE PIRATE, too, if only for Judy's line "he asked for me" and nothing else, but the Nicholas Brothers and Kelly are amazing in it, and Minelli's work as baroque and over-the-top as the play demands.  Since the original Behrman play is so good, I've always wondered at why this wasn't turned into a stage musical.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2004, 12:11:21 PM »

Off to Todai for lunch.  Keep the home fries burning and the posts coming so I have lots to read upon my return.  Thanks ever so, you dear dear people out there in the dark.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2004, 12:20:46 PM »

I never really had any problems with Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge.  To me it was a toy of a movie, a wild ride, an extension of the good, surreal MTV videos of the 80s.  And at it's candy center was a harmless romance plot.  I had fun watching it.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2004, 12:23:56 PM »

FANTASIA (the first, not the sequal) is a great Disney film.  Whatr was it being voted on for?

BK---
I just read the interview.  Why not make "Casting the KRITZER Movies" a topic of the day one day next week.

Also, if you want Joel Grey to read the book, send it to him at the Gershwin Theatre where WICKED is playing.  He's not on stage that much, so this would give him something to read in his dressing room between scenes.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2004, 12:37:53 PM »

WEL thanks for the care package that arrived today!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2004, 12:44:46 PM »

Der Brucer has moved on to Baker Street, with a pre-Benson Inga Swenson singing beautifully.  But I think she had better material in 100 in the Shade.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up