Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK FAIR  (Read 15024 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THE BOOK FAIR
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 06:39:26 AM »

Any movie that ends with Ruby Wax hot starting a '63 Thunderbird with a bobby pin - then two nice looking men doing forward rolls on the hood and driving out into the fog from a movie set......that movie is ALL RIGHT with me!

DR JRand59, ever a sucker for cheep drama!

I detest cheap sentiment.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 06:40:03 AM »

Good morning!

Very cold here (32) during my walk this morning, and I should have worn something warmer on my head than a baseball cap. Also will need gloves if I'm to not have frostbitten fingers. I had to keep my hands in my pockets during the entire walk. It's not getting out of the 40s today though it's a beautiful day otherwise. It IS December, so the cold temps aren't that big a surprise.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 06:41:30 AM »

Page Two Margo Channing Dance

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 06:43:20 AM »

Real estate vibes for DR elmore. 

DR elmore, I have a question for you: What is "Toyland?"

Angela Lansbury fans:  Katie Couric is interviewing her on CBS Sunday Morning in a few minutes.

Kevin

DR ELMORE is gone - TOYLAND.....DR ELMORE is involved in research for a book on Victor Herbert's BABES IN TOYLAND.  I think it includes or may focus on a restoration of the score as well...

I should add that DR JRand59 is correct about the book as well; I would like to turn the research into a book about the show's creation, the collaborators and cast, and its path on becoming a household title. I've really enjoyed the following similar books:
    OZ BEFORE THE RAINBOW by Mark Evan Swartz
    LADY IN THE DARK: BIOGRAPHY OF A MUSICAL by bruce mcclung
    OKLAHOMA!: THE MAKING OF AN AMERICAN MUSICAL by Tim Carter
    EVERYTHING WAS POSSIBLE by Ted Chapin
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 06:44:57 AM »

I had not read the book ANGEL HEART, so the De Niro revelation certainly came as a surprise to me. Yes, in hindsight I could see the clues, but the first time through for me, I was swept up in the menacing atmosphere and weirdness of the entire film. I've always found it an effective crime drama. Rourke has  always been an excellent actor with decent material and a good director. In the wrong hands, he could be lazy and walk through roles, but he's done good work even in movies that were dogs (HOMEBOY, for example). What he did to his career was criminal, but they were his choices right down the line, so I have no pity for him.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 06:46:12 AM »

Real estate vibes for DR elmore. 

DR elmore, I have a question for you: What is "Toyland?"

Angela Lansbury fans:  Katie Couric is interviewing her on CBS Sunday Morning in a few minutes.

Kevin

DR ELMORE is gone - TOYLAND.....DR ELMORE is involved in research for a book on Victor Herbert's BABES IN TOYLAND.  I think it includes or may focus on a restoration of the score as well...

I should add that DR JRand59 is correct about the book as well; I would like to turn the research into a book about the show's creation, the collaborators and cast, and its path on becoming a household title. I've really enjoyed the following similar books:
    OZ BEFORE THE RAINBOW by Mark Evan Swartz
    LADY IN THE DARK: BIOGRAPHY OF A MUSICAL by bruce mcclung
    OKLAHOMA!: THE MAKING OF AN AMERICAN MUSICAL by Tim Carter
    EVERYTHING WAS POSSIBLE by Ted Chapin

I would buy such a book in a heartbeat.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 06:47:29 AM »

I think THE GRIFTERS is a near-masterpiece. Three really nasty people on the road to oblivion. It impresses me all over again every time I watch it.

KevinH

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 06:49:04 AM »

DR elmore--sounds like a huge undertaking!

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 06:52:50 AM »

Today, being a day off from work, will likely be made up of a mixture of watching unwatched films plus some holiday favorites off the shelf. Haven't yet decided what my Blu-ray of the day will be, but I do plan to watch the Finney/SCROOGE tonight. With review work looming tomorrow, this may be my last day off for a while. Even if nothing else comes in tomorrow except G-FORCE on Blu-ray, I'm going to go back through BLAZING SADDLES and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN to get that Mel Brooks box set review started.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 06:55:16 AM »

Lots of TV on tonight including new episodes of BROTHERS & SISTERS, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, (as DR Jennifer noted) THE AMAZING RACE, and COLD CASE (now on at 9 p.m.) CBS has dropped THREE RIVERS from the schedule and is replacing it with reruns of their crime dramas until something else moves to Sunday nights at midseason.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 07:01:40 AM »

DR elmore--sounds like a huge undertaking!

well, the book idea is mine, but I've had wonderful collaborators on the edition. we're also working on Victor Herbert's THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER and Jerome Kern's OH BOY!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »

The Grifters is a great, great movie.  Did not care for Angel Heart.  Though the book is better, I had problems with it when I read it (could see it coming from a mile off) and hence turned down the chance to write the script (which was why I was reading the book in the first place).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 07:13:41 AM »

Who needs AVATAR when we have all of these great movies to revisit?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 07:14:30 AM »

On IFC I am watching SHANKAR a Hindi "homage" to The Godfather - which means - the director borrowed almost everything about it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 07:16:21 AM »

For DR MBarnum, here's Joel Edgerton, who's playing Stanley Kowalski opposite Cate Blanchett at the moment. Never heard of him but i'm sure DR MBarnum would like to interview him.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 07:19:38 AM »

Who needs AVATAR when we have all of these great movies to revisit?

Ain't that the truth!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »

I'll be heading downstairs in a minute to continue my rearranging project to put the ever-expanding Blu-ray library in some kind of sensible order. Then, I'll start with today's fun viewing line-up.

WBBL.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 07:25:06 AM »

Tax work is under control for the weekend, although not by any means finished.

Looking forward to seeing RAGTIME today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »

So THAT'S Stanley!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »

I can see things from both sides of the "speeding" through neighborhoods issue.  I was similarly accosted down the street a few years ago by an insane lady who came out waving her arms as I drove by at 15mph in a 25mph zone.  I stopped my car, rolled down the window and screamed right back at her that I was 10mph *under* the speed limit.  She shook her head and returned to her home.  On the other hand, our street is 30mph and as some of you know we've experienced the horror of having one of our kids hit by a car (not on this street, but still), so I have also been out on our street screaming at people driving by at up to 50mph (especially if they're going down the steep hill part of our road).  I will say that it's very hard to judge a car's actual speed when you're just standing by the side of the road, and my hunch is that cars appear to be going faster than they actually are.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 08:20:30 AM »

I see that ALL ABOUT EVE has put us in widescreen.

A pretty interesting feat since it was shot in the academy ratio.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 08:22:40 AM »

It's rather chilly today in Boca Raton. It's only 77 degrees. :-)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »

Listening to BK's produced cast album of Do I Hear A Waltz?
This is the first time I have listen to a cd via my Blu Ray player. To my ear the sound quality
is better than listening it through my standard cd player.

I think this is my least favorite musical that Sondheim supplied lyrics only to
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 08:29:42 AM »

I saw Angel Heart when it first came out in Montreal. Quebec was the only place in Canada or the US that showed the uncut version of the film.

I saw it with a group of friends and I got the twist right away when Robert de Niro first appeared.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »

I was afraid it might.....but it's only for one page....and it IS Bette Davis!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2009, 09:11:14 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm watching "The Amazing Race"... Season 9... On the Fox Reality Channel... Since there's really nothing else on TV right now that I want to watch, and I don't like committing to a DVD right now either.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »

As for "Angel Heart"...

I still remember all the fuss over Lisa Bonet - a.k.a. "Denise Huxtable" from "The Cosby Show" - playing an "adult" in an "adult" movie. Meh.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »

For DR MBarnum, here's Joel Edgerton, who's playing Stanley Kowalski opposite Cate Blanchett at the moment. Never heard of him but i'm sure DR MBarnum would like to interview him.

...In about 50 years.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »

I can see things from both sides of the "speeding" through neighborhoods issue.  I was similarly accosted down the street a few years ago by an insane lady who came out waving her arms as I drove by at 15mph in a 25mph zone.  I stopped my car, rolled down the window and screamed right back at her that I was 10mph *under* the speed limit.  She shook her head and returned to her home.  On the other hand, our street is 30mph and as some of you know we've experienced the horror of having one of our kids hit by a car (not on this street, but still), so I have also been out on our street screaming at people driving by at up to 50mph (especially if they're going down the steep hill part of our road).  I will say that it's very hard to judge a car's actual speed when you're just standing by the side of the road, and my hunch is that cars appear to be going faster than they actually are.

And he or anyone would have the complete right to scream if someone were driving that fast, especially if there were kids in view.  The one or two times I've seen that happen, I've yelled at the speeders.  But this isn't that - and it doesn't only happen to me.  The looks these baboons give is shocking - they are so stupid and I'd guess they drive exactly the same speed in their cars while talking and texting, with their kids in the car - THAT'S the joke.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

I had a lovelier than lovely night's sleep with very amusing dreams - one of them took place at what looked like the Wilshire Ebell Theater, but could have been the Shrine Auditorium.  I was there - I was just hanging around, a little miffed that I hadn't been asked to direct the show, and since they were having terrible audio problems, I believe I was smirking just a bit, and telling everyone that would not have happened if I'd been there.  Several big acts were leaving, refusing to perform.  Then the news came that they'd fired the host of the evening - Jimmy Kimmel.  I suggested that I host and that it could be really funny if I said that Jimmy had become indisposed and in a panic the producers had asked if there were any other Kimmels in the venue.  I woke up before finding out if they'd let me do it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up