Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAM NOTES  (Read 36102 times)

MBarnum

Re:DREAM NOTES
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2004, 09:16:18 AM »

DR Charles Pogue those are wonderful photos of your stage work! What year(s) are they from?

Hmmm....the 1970s....love the music of the 70s....the movies, however, just don't click with me. I do love ANAND (1970) and BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1970) but other then those two I can't think of a thing.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2004, 09:16:36 AM »

Yesterday we went to the museum. Here is the dinosaur we saw.

Looks like someone I know before he's had his first cup of coffee.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2004, 09:19:03 AM »

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day here in Philly.  I hope the weather's just as nice out in Glendale for the signing (will there be any singing at the signing?)

Our family first got cable installed at about 1978, and between the two premiums channels we had (HBO and Prism), I got to see and fall in love with a lot of films like Three Women.  Unlike BK, I was a big Altman fan and I loved MASH and Nashville (though the latter was mostly because I was a Lily Tomlin groupie.)  I also like a couple of his lesser efforts, Health and A Wedding.

Other Fav 70s Films (without mentioning the obvious ones):
The Fortune
Girlfriends
(w/Melanie Mayron)
An Unmarried Woman
Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Being There
Interiors
Day of the Locusts

Lordy, there's too many...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2004, 09:20:54 AM »

LOL Jay!!

And speaking of films I will travel up to the Land of Port today, after the easter egg hunt in Uncle Mike and Freddy's back yard, and see THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA at the Hollywood Theater and then mosey on downtown to see Ozu's THE END OF SUMMER  (1960) at the Guild Theater which, by the way, co-stars Akira (GODZILLA VS THE THING) Takarada and Yumi (RODAN) Shirakawa! Everything has to have a B movie connection with me doesn't it! LOL!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2004, 09:39:32 AM »

MBarnum, from 1970 to be exact which would have made me 20. Not even legal yet...actually in Kentucky, you were legal, at least to drink beer and vote.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2004, 09:45:00 AM »

So, BK, any rough idea of the headcount expected at the reading today?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »

My favorite films of the 1970's come from my favorite filmmaker of the decade, Woody Allen.

Annie Hall, Manhattan, Love & Death, Play It Again Same (which wasn't directed by Allen, but he wrote it and stars).

I also like All That Jazz.

I agree that the early 1970's were a golden age for Hollywood, and once Jaws and Star Wars led the way into a blockbuster mentality, the art was diminished.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2004, 10:04:42 AM »

I just got up a few minutes ago.  Nice long sleep catching up on all the sleep I'd missed the day before.

I never have any idea of head count because people who say they're coming invariably don't show up.  Hopefully, it will be a nice group, but however many people are there it's the perfect number.

Thanks to all for the vibes for the reading.

Very interesting lists today, and what great movies there were.  I'm surprised at MBarnum's disinterest in that decade -I'm curious if you just don't like the films or you haven't seen many of them.  That said, I do run into people from time to time who just don't care for that decade's movies.

Did anyone mention Manhattan?  That's the Woody that I'd include, along with Love and Death.  Looking at the lists, the amazing thing is that three quarters of those films which rank as my faves would never be made today, or be made in the way they were.

The hyperlink to The DVD Place in the notes has been fixed.  I had a comma where I should have had a period.  I hate when that happens.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2004, 10:04:53 AM »

CP. Jennifer Garner is the Golden Globe winning and twice Emmy-nominated star of ALIAS. She was married to Scott Foley until recently, but as he's also a show biz person under 30, I guess you wouldn't know him either. She has a movie about to open, so I suspect if you turn to the movie ads page of your local newspaper tomorrow, you'll probably see her face.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2004, 10:09:10 AM »

Yes, I mentioned MANHATTAN, and I believe someone else had as well.

I left off NASHVILLE, I think, and I definitely want to rectify that. I think it's one of the masterpieces of the 1970s.

Far be it from me to tell anyone what to like or not like, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice, DR MBarnum, if you don't check out some of the films we've named.

Or maybe you've seen them and not liked them. My, the world is an interesting place full of very interesting people. Our likes and dislikes truly run a wide, wide gamut.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2004, 10:18:45 AM »

I guess I'll watch Nashville again - haven't seen it since it came out and I didn't love it back then - I enjoyed it and MASH, just not as much as the movies that I LOVED, like Chinatown and The Godfathers, and The Parallax View.  I also love Jaws and Close Encounters (only in its original theatrcial version - I think all the other redos lessen the film).

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2004, 10:32:20 AM »

BK and MattH, I have seen some of the films listed but for some reason they just don't do anything for me. That isn't to say that  I think the 70s is a bad decade for films or anything, but I think I just prefer the glossy sort of look of the films from the 30s, 40s, and 50s for the most part...that unreal sort of aura. It seems like in the 70s (and a lot of 1960s films too) there was a definate slide into gritty reality in the look of the film. I don't know if I can explain it or not, but it is just a look and feel that never appealed to me, even as a kid. I have no doubt there is a lot I am missing out on by not having seen Chinatown or the Godfather movies and I know many people like them...but then you guys know my taste in films is a bit, shall we say, different...LOL! I think that is why I like the Bollywood films so much..they, in most cases, avoid the gritty reality and instead are very much like the glossy films of old.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2004, 10:37:55 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I just finished the interview, and now that I know you're on the DVD, I'm going to buy it ASAP.  I think you should give NASHVILLE a try again; it has some amazing performances, especially the ladies Lily Tomlin, Ronee Blakeley, Barbara Harris, Barbara Baxley, and Gwen Wells, but I love the cast and the songs. Maybe it's my family's Grand Ole Opry listening from my early childhood, but the film has a lot of resonance for me, and I still think it's timely, from the politicians, to the War, to the violence.

Break a leg today, make 'me laugh, make 'em cry.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2004, 10:37:59 AM »

I understand your points MBarnum.  But you owe it to yourself to see the DVD of Chinatown - it would have been great in any decade, as well as the original Godfather, which is just as much a sixties film as a seventies film.  They both transcend decade and are both masterpieces.  And if you've never seen Manhattan or Annie Hall, those too would be up your alley.  Isn't it funny that three of the films I've just mentioned have photography by Gordon Willis?  Chinatown is John Alonzo and is also brilliant, photography-wise.  Did you know the original cameraman on Chinatown was Stanley Cortez, the cameraman of The Magnicent Ambersons?  He was fired just a few days into shooting.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2004, 10:40:59 AM »

Break a leg today, make 'me laugh, make 'em cry.

Well, that should have been make 'em laugh; you already make me laugh.   I can't believe I left THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL off my list; it's probably because I saw it after I moved to New York and I think it's an 80s film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2004, 10:42:19 AM »

I understand your points MBarnum.  But you owe it to yourself to see the DVD of Chinatown - it would have been great in any decade, as well as the original Godfather, which is just as much a sixties film as a seventies film.  They both transcend decade and are both masterpieces.  And if you've never seen Manhattan or Annie Hall, those too would be up your alley.  Isn't it funny that three of the films I've just mentioned have photography by Gordon Willis?  Chinatown is John Alonzo and is also brilliant, photography-wise.  Did you know the original cameraman on Chinatown was Stanley Cortez, the cameraman of The Magnicent Ambersons?  He was fired just a few days into shooting.

You are probably right BK. I do have a Bollywood movie titeld Chinatown coming in the mail at any time...does that count?? LOL!

Of course I still need to see CASABLANCA! But you know me...if I have a choice of seeing that or BLONDIE MEETS THE BOSS you know which one is going to get my attention! LOL.

One day I will catch up on these films, I have made myself that promise!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2004, 11:05:42 AM »

CP. Jennifer Garner is the Golden Globe winning and twice Emmy-nominated star of ALIAS. I suspect if you turn to the movie ads page of your local newspaper tomorrow, you'll probably see her face.

Watch the commercial for "13 Going on 30"

td

• td
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2004, 11:27:41 AM »

Although I've already mentioned it, I must come to the fore once again and heartily recommend giving NASHVILLE another try, BK.

I was lucky enough to have seen it on a huge, properly curved screen at the old Pittburgh Warner Theater on its initial release.  
The Warner was also the only screen in town which could properly show Cinerama films.  
I saw NASHVILLE with a female companion on its opening day's matinee; after it was over, we went out for coffee and discussed the film.  THEN, we returned for the early evening showing.
Since then, I saw it countless time, always finding something new in it, and on dvd, it is indeed a real pleasure.
I can't think of a thing in the film that I don't like - performance or song or storytelling-wise; but, to me, Ronnee Blakely's tender, emotional performance is a major highlight, as is Barbara Harris' story arc.
Even though it's a 70s flick, I believe that NOW more than EVER, we need NASHVILLE.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2004, 11:33:31 AM »

Miss Jennifer Garner
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2004, 11:51:35 AM »

Nice pic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2004, 11:52:07 AM »

Soon we shall be reading, signing and eating cake, and I will have photos galore to post this evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2004, 12:14:20 PM »

Keep the home fries burning whilst I am away - I want lots of reading matter for my mental delectation upon my return.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2004, 12:18:07 PM »

Have a great time at the reading, BK!   :D  Wish we could be there.   :'(

DR CP: Jennifer Garner can also be seen acting in the film Catch Me If You Can, which BK and I (and several others) enjoyed a lot.  She's only in one scene, playing a high-ticket hooker, but she gets a lot of milage out of that one scene.

I have a glass of ginger ale sitting on my desk, next to my bed.  Buster, who is on the bed, keeps swiping slurps when he thinks I'm not looking.  He loves ginger ale.  Silly dog.   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2004, 12:22:44 PM »

Buster is so cute :D

Jane

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2004, 12:24:48 PM »

Bruce, waiting to hear the book signing went well.  Wish I could have been there.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2004, 12:39:49 PM »

MBarnum have you seen PLAY IT AGAIN SAM?  It might have the old movie feel you enjoy.  To appreciate it, you might need to be a Bogart fan, or at least have seen his movies.  Speaking of which, please see CASABLANCA.  If it’s the only way, next time you are in town, we will have dinner at Kim’s, then watch CASABLANCA.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2004, 12:39:50 PM »

Anyone in the Los Angeles area who is not at the reading deserves a severe dirty look.   >:( >:( >:(

The address, if anyone has forgotten, is 238 N. Brand Blvd., in Glendale, Ca.  (Just up the street from the world-famous Alex Theater, the place with the silvery spire, so if you can find the Alex you're in the right neighborhood!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2004, 12:42:15 PM »

Buster is so cute :D
Thank-you, Jane!

Not being able to attend the reading, we'll be doing something else special in a few minutes: we're taking the whole pack for a walk.  The weather is wonderful today here in Rehoboth, warm and clear.  The walk will do them all good (not to mention that der Brucer and I need the excercise, too!).

Jane

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2004, 12:46:23 PM »

Dan (the Man) I forgot about this fun movie, Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?

Michael Shayne, another good movie I forgot about, Westworld.  Your list is great and I love you broke it down by years.  I noticed The Tin Drum on there.  Is it better than the book?  I’m not a fan of the book and so passed on the movie.  My son liked both.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2004, 12:49:51 PM »

Well, it's a nice picture but it doesn't look much like The Lovely Wife to me.  The Lovely Wife primping for FLEA IN HER EAR:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up