Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAM NOTES  (Read 37236 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:DREAM NOTES
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2004, 05:12:13 PM »

I hope lots of books were sold as well!!

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2004, 05:19:17 PM »

I am not a happy camper.

I apologize for the rant that I am about to post.

On friday, my sister convinced me to take the train to Boston to spend the weekend with her (she's a Harvard student).  I wasn't going to go, but then I remembered that a dear friend who I haven't seen in two years is playing the title roll in "Rocky Horror" this weekend in Cambridge, so Liz and I decided we would go see him.  I got in last night at around seven, and we immediatly went to see a student production of "Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead" (good production, but I really don't like the play).  Then we spent some time with her friends, and went to bed.  Today, even though she promised to spend time with me, she ended up spending the entire day with friends, leaving me to wander aimlessly because I don't have a key to her dorm.  Then we were supposed to spend the evening together, but she decided to go to a chamber concert so I decided to go see another student production.  I couldn't get tickets.  Then she cancelled on seeing "Rocky".  

Oh, and of course she'll be busy all day tomorrow too.

So, putting aside momentarily the fact that I'm furious with her, what should I do tonight?  I could take the T (which I've never taken before) to some random town to go see  movie, but that's probably not a terrific idea.  I could hang out in her room all night, but that's also not a great idea.  And should I go see "Rocky" alone?  That's awfully depressing.  I do want to see Bobby dance around in gold underwear, but it's the whole audience participation movie thing and I'd be really uncomfortable seeing it alone.

Or I can just sit in a corner and, as my sister would say, "cry about it".

---

I hope that BK's book signing went incredibly well!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jane

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2004, 05:19:33 PM »

While The Lovely Wife and I give to many animal charities, I refuse to give to PETA.  I find them abrasive, overwrought, offensive, and many of their tactics and claims suspect.

That is why, though tempted, I did not mention their name.  Years ago I was a member until the day I called to inquire if it was true they were against all dog breeders, not just the breeding farms & irresponsible breeders.  They said yes as there are too many homeless dogs and no one should buy a pure bred.  I said I couldn’t give my money for that and I wanted to designate my donations for spay & neuter programs.  At which time the woman hung up on me & I never heard from them again.

Jane

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2004, 05:35:01 PM »

Jenny can you call Bobby and see if he has a friend to sit with you?  I say go to the play if you have nothing else to do and start talking to people.  It might be depressing, or you might meet someone new.  You could always call your parents and have them make your sister be more responsible. ;)  I don't think they envisioned you wandering around on your own.  Does your sister have a friend who might want to go with you?  I hope she is usually nicer than this.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 05:37:58 PM by Jane »

Jenny

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2004, 05:47:21 PM »

Does your sister have a friend who might want to go with you?  I hope she is usually nicer than this.

Eh.  the only friend who was interested bailed on us, causing my sister to bail.  I think that I'm going to go anyway (and spend the next few hours shopping for rice and feather boas!) because I have a really good present for Bobby that I bought him three years ago but never gave to him and it's about time!  (I'm really proud of this gift.  Bobby is a gay Eagle Scout, and I found a set of cocktail napkins with a picture of two little boy scouts on it saying "While Billy grew up to be an Eagle Scout, Robby grew up to date one.")

Sadly, though I love my sister dearly, she is always like this.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2004, 05:48:17 PM »

Hey DR Jenny feel better!  I am surprised that your sister would not be more responsible for you since you are only 15 right?  I don't think calling your parents is a bad idea.  As DR Jane said, I'm sure they didn't expect your sister to just leave you stranded.

If you want to see your friend then I would definitely not miss out on Rocky Horror.  Going alone isn't so bad (as long as you don't have to travel alone too far).

I would defintely talk to your sister and tell her how you feel.  Maybe she doesn't even realize what she's doing.

Hey good luck. And let us know what happens.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2004, 05:54:33 PM »

Jenny, good for you!  I’m sure Bobby will be glad to see you and will enjoy your gift.  Next time you visit your sister, take a friend with you.  My sister use to do the same thing to me, leaving me stranded at her house with nothing to do while I waited all day for her to get off the phone.  At least you are in a great town with things to do.

Danise

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2004, 06:09:05 PM »

Evening all!  I am dog tired tonight.  I was a very busy bee today.

First, I have a promise to keep.  Here is my review of Kritzer Time.  I posted it at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and All Access World.

When one begins to read a trilogy, you make a commitment to being on a journey with a character or set of characters on a voyage of discovery.

In my case, I did not know I was committing to such a journey when I read the first two books by Mr. Kimmel.   Benjamin Kritzer and Kritzerland were to only two books he had written and to be quite honest, I had my doubts about them.

As one of the newest members of the HHW.com community, I read references to the books but privately thought that since the author was on the board, of course people would praise them.  Being a “tell the truth and shame the devil” type, I resisted reading them being afraid that they would be horrible.  What would I honestly say to Mr. Kimmel’s “face” if they were?

My curiosity finely got the better of me.   Feeling very much like a doubting Thomas; I decided to read the first book, Benjamin Kritzer.  You can not imagine my delight when I found myself in his world. The story was charming and I would catch myself nodding my head in agreement when this situation or that one arose that mirrored experiences I have had myself.  The characterizations and descriptions were so rich and believable that I felt like I had taken a step back in time.  

There was no hesitation on my part to read the second book,  Kritzerland.  I enjoyed my return to BK’s life and world as much as the first time I was there.  

I highly anticipated the third books (Kritzer Time) release but when I finely received it, I found myself reading it very slowly.  Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to know what was going to happen but I didn’t want the story to end.  Alas, as with all things, end it did and my journeys with Benjamin Kritzer are now over.  If yours are just beginning, I envy you.

Kudos, Mr. Kimmel, because Benjamin isn’t the only one who deserves them.

I'll be back with a post about my day in moment.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jenny

« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2004, 06:11:39 PM »

Thank you, guys.   :)

...It's a damn shame that I'm coming back in three weeks!  :o

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2004, 06:22:53 PM »

I am back from the signing and also from eating a rather obscene amount of Mexican food (a treat for signing day).  

The signing/reading went very well.  So many lovely people there (and, of course, so many of the usual suspects who said they'd be there and didn't show) and the reading got lots of laughs.  Afterwards, we all had cake and cheese bits and crackers and various and sundried liquid refreshments.  We actually sold a fair number of books, so that was the icing on the cake, to quote a Kritzer Time line.  I'll post pics as soon as I figure out the new way I have to get them on my computer.

Thank you, Danise, for your lovely thoughts.

Danise

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2004, 06:25:25 PM »

Evening all!  I am dog tired tonight.  I was a very busy bee today.

I went to the vet and picked up some HeartGuard and thyroid meds for B & B.  Bear is the one on thyroid meds.

Then I went to Walmart to buy dog food and dog goodies.  Picked up a few things for Mom  & myself.  Bought a strap for my suitcase as a just in case.  

Then I went to the Mall.  I went to a cosmetic counter in one of the larger stores there and wanted to make quite a large purchase.  There were 3 girls at the counter.  When I asked for some help and said I wanted to make sure the shades matched they said I needed an appointment!  I'm a little up set with that.   Guess I wasn't dressed good enough for them to bother with.

Then I went to the Ren Fest.  Ahhh.  I truly enjoyed myself there.

I guess I’m more tired than I thought because I’ll have to tell you all about this tomorrow.  I’m to tired to type and theres lots I want to say.

Have a good evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2004, 06:26:02 PM »

Jenny, do you have to?

Danise

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2004, 06:28:45 PM »

Glad you had a good signing and that you liked my review, Bruce.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2004, 06:29:49 PM »

Okay, here is photo one.  The assembled, although there were several people out of camera range and a few had already gone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2004, 06:30:48 PM »

Next:  The Author at his reading table.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2004, 06:38:41 PM »

Then I went to the Mall.  I went to a cosmetic counter in one of the larger stores there and wanted to make quite a large purchase.  There were 3 girls at the counter.  When I asked for some help and said I wanted to make sure the shades matched they said I needed an appointment!  I'm a little up set with that.   Guess I wasn't dressed good enough for them to bother with.

Often you need an appointment if you want to have full make-up applied, but not for what you asked for.  I would complain to the store.  They might refer you to the actual cosmetic company.  Do you know which counter you were at?  You implied the counter wasn’t busy making their behavior rather surprising.  Service like that really annoys me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2004, 06:48:51 PM »

Dear Friend BK, I loved the photos, and I even recognized a few suspects there.  You look very contented,  I'm thrilled it went well, and I look forward to more details.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2004, 06:57:09 PM »

Looks like a fun time was had by all there at the signing. !

Jane, I guess they thought they would have do a full make-up to see if the shades were correct.  Since there was 3 of them standing around (I was the only customer in sight at that counter) I don't understand why an appointment would have to be made.

Guess they just didn't want the sale that badly.  I made the blasted appointment for next Sunday.  They were "booked" for Saturday.   Estee Lauder was the brand.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2004, 06:57:35 PM »

Um, are we supposed to recognize anyone other than DR Jay? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2004, 07:28:51 PM »

Well, dear reader Panni is amongst the crowd.  As is dear lurker VinTek.

td

• td
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2004, 07:34:25 PM »

Well, dear reader Panni is amongst the crowd.  As is dear lurker VinTek.

OH?  I thought that was Frances McDormand!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2004, 07:35:20 PM »

Danise, you might want to contact Estee Lauder and complain.  Maybe they will give you a gift certificate towards your purchase.  If those girls were not busy they should have helped you right then or explained they had appointments in the next few minutes.  Many times I have had to be insistent I did not want a makeover.  Be careful they don't pile it on. ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2004, 08:07:27 PM »

bk is perhaps too humble to say how very well the reading went. Okay, I know he said it went very well. But I underlined my "very." Excellent selections read. Lots of laughter. And a record number of books for a Kritzer reading were sold. Hearing bk reading really solidifies the idea that the Kritzer trilogy would make terrific Books on Tape. Wouldn't they be fun to listen to as read by the author?

BTW - I demand my credit on the bk photo. Rather lovely with the roses and all, don't you think? So under that photo should be...
"Author's photo by Frances McDormand."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 08:18:18 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2004, 08:13:28 PM »

For you dog lovers, you might notice next to me in the photo is a white ball of fur. This was Casey, a very cute dog belonging to bk's cousins. Casey is quite a literate dog and has been to a number of poetry readings. But this was his first prose outing. He thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon, paying total attention and even laughing a number of times.
Just proves -- All creatures love the Kritzer books!

Michael

« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

This Bruce Himmel guy looks like our own BK
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 08:21:40 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2004, 08:20:11 PM »

More DR's at the reading - in the group photo, FS Pogue is in the back, wearing sunglasses. In front of him is the lovely wife.

Robin

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »

Man, oh man...am I ever tired!

First off, the Significant Other and myself hied off to the googolplex to see The Alamo.  Great actors.  Bad script, poorly paced, and deadly dull.  I did get about fifteen minutes or so of sleep during the running time of this epic, so maybe I missed all of the good parts.  

Second off, we spent altogether too much time at Best Buy, looking at widescreen teevees, and doing calculations in our heads as to what we can (and more importantly, cannot) afford.  No decisions were made.  Unless of course, not making a decision is in fact making a decision to put off a decision.  In other words, we weren't decisive.  

Third off, I noticed that the covers of the Penn and Teller: Bullshit! deeveedees stocked by Best Buy are censored.  Yup, the word Bullshit! has a black CENSORED mark through the ....shit! section of the word.  Now, the copy of the set I bought at Borders a week or two ago didn't have this bit of ridiculous nonsense.  I have to roll my eyes at this one...this kind of nonsense just gives me the creeps.

Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2004, 08:31:41 PM »

Don't you love when books (I presume the photo is from the book on Bewitched) and their authors and editors don't do their homework.  Nice pic, though.

Panni

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2004, 08:37:08 PM »

This Bruce Himmel guy looks like our own BK

Gott im Himmel, that's a Kimmel!

Michael

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2004, 08:38:09 PM »

Actually when the mentioned Kimmel in the chapter they got it right but the picture caption was wrong
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up