Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: FAREWELL 2009, HELLO 2010!  (Read 38688 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re: FAREWELL 2009, HELLO 2010!
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »

The people who own the apartment in the marina where I am lucky enough to be staying for a ridiculously low rent are back in town, so I'm at Rikki's - and said couple have invited me to partay with them and some assorted friends tonight on their 72-foot Italian wonder of a yacht. I've spent many a splendid afternoon and/or evening aboard this vessel - stem to stern the loveliest of lovely water crafts - glove leather upholstery, deep and soft white wool carpeting, granite countertops, gleaming woodwork, sparkling glass, and gorgeous artwork - some of it by our most gifted hostess, herself. It's pot luck, as usual - I'm bringing five really scrumptious cheeses and assorted fruits, including pineapple, three kinds of berries, grapes, and some hand-dipped chocolate covered strawberries - white AND dark chocolate - some of them I did a tuxedo design - wish I could take a picture and show you - I'm so proud of them!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »

Ah!! A 6th page Tango!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »

And the weather is still clear - fingers x'd I get to see the Blue Moon tonight... as in once in a blue moon...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2009, 01:44:35 PM »

Off I go to try to do something festive with my appearance... laters, skaters!
PennyO

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

Hi, Penny! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2009, 01:46:03 PM »

I'm starving, but have to wait till Mr. Handy Man returns from two short errands I had him do.  I had to put a new battery into the old motor car - the old battery, which was, I realized, over five years old, was shot from when I left the headlights on for an hour.  It never recovered.  So, my darling daughter gets an early birthday present of a brand new battery.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »

As soon as he gets back, I'll go grab a sandwich at Jerry's, I think.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »

Or maybe I'll go to Gelson's and get some assorted foodstuffs, although frankly that doesn't sound very appealing to me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »

The meeting with the producer was interesting - she's a bit of a kookie gal, but has, I think, a good heart and knows the current world of TV.  We talked about a few things - she really loves the books and wants to protect them, and that I like.  She's very keen to sell them and has a ton of energy and passion for them, and she has my blessing.   She asked me about writers and actors I like. 

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »

My afternoon surf is over, so I'm jumping off-line now and getting some writing done. Then back downstairs to find some things to watch. It'll likely be more documentaries from the GWTW package. The documentary on 1939 movies and ossibly the Vivien Leigh documentary, too.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »

Power to spare!
Power to spare!
EverReady Batteries have power to spare!

I don't know if BK put an EverReady battery in his old car or not but that old jingle popped into me head after reading his posts.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »

DR RLP, I can understand being annoyed about your mail. But wait till they talk to your mail carrier. If he doesn't know what's up then i'd start to freak out!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2009, 02:00:14 PM »

Glad I bought snow boots!

Julie, our screening is on Sunday the 3rd...10 people crammed into a tiny conference room. And I leave the afternoon of 5th. I feel bad that I'm dragging Greg up there and we haven't had a chance to arrange to do anything but he's also been so swamped that we'll have to figure it out as we go. We would love to see any and all who have time for us, apart from the night of the 2nd and on the 3rd...

OK.  Any chance of an HHW get together Mon evening Jan 4 for some dinner at a restaurant TBD?  Would that work for you and Greg, Amy?  Who else is interested?  Larry? Jose? FJL? Ben? DAW? Vixmom?  Who are our other NYers?

That would work for me---Greg, unfortuantely has to fly back on the 3rd. He has a shoot the next day. But I would love that! Anywhere is great with me!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2009, 02:00:53 PM »

Back from running my errands and doing some last minute shopping.  I bought myself some socks, two belts, candles and two calendars.  I'm all set for Y2K+10.

Now what channel is Guy Lombardo on tonight?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »

Count me in as one who will start exercising again as of the new year.

I was biking every day for around a4 months. Then i got sick, and had no energy. So i have not done regular exercise in more than a month.

The weird part is that i feel like i've maybe lost weight since i stopped exercising. It doesn't make sense. Although i guess walking around the mall a lot could count as exercise.

Edisaurus

« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2009, 02:01:03 PM »

Oh, and I'm in NY so THANK YOU for all the travel vibes; they really worked this time. The flight was only 1/2 hr late and the cab ride was harrowing but fast!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »

Good Afternoon!

It's been an errand- and shopping-filled New Year's Eve afternoon here in Richmond. The rain stopped, but it's still quite gray/grey outside.  Steve and I made stops at my parents' house (they weren't home - ?), Bed Bath & Beyond (gotta love those 20%-off coupons!), Panera (for lunch), the bank, For the Love of Chocolate (more 1/2-price Christmas candies - I'm practically addicted to these "sugarplums" they have there), and, finally, Ukrop's for some foodstuffs for tonight.

Right now, Steve is prepping from turkey legs for baking, and I'm here on HHW.  -And I'll most likely take a nap before we head to the Carpenter Center later. I won tickets via Twitter to Jim Brickman's New Year's Eve concert here in Richmond, so... It should be a nice evening.  Since Carytown is not having their big public outdoor NYE's celebration this year - and since no other city organization picked up the ball - we'll probably just head back here after the concert, snack on some pimiento cheese and potato salad (both from Ukrop's), and watch the festivities in Times Square on TV.  -Which should look spectacular on Steve's new HD set. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »

Although i did get some exercise today. My niece got a sled for Xmas. So i ran around for 1 hour and 20 minutes, pulling her and running around outside.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2009, 02:03:41 PM »

* * * * * MAIL VIBES FOR DR RLP * * * * *
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2009, 02:03:55 PM »

DR PennyO i'm curious what you did to cover the strawberries with chocolate. Was there any special way you melted the chocolate?

Sounds yummy.

Ben

« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »

We have been watching The Judy Garland Show in order over the past few weeks.  I think we are up to show #8 or 9.

Do you have the entire series? We have been trying to gather them together through various libraries but since they are out of print the entire collection is not easy to get. We have Volume from the Infinity re-release, which is different from the original Pioneer Arts release. It contains Count Basie and Liza Minnelli instead of Mickey Rooney and Liza Minnelli. We don't have Volume 2, which has the Lena Horne show. We have Volume 3 (the Christmas show) and Volumes 4-8 (Volume 6 is listed as the "Legends" show with clips instead of entire episodes). We don't have anything after that. The annoying thing about the initial release, IMHO, is they didn't release the "Volumes" in show order. They released them in the order in which they would sell best, I guess, so you can't get Volumes and get Show Order (except for the initial Pioneer Arts release which has the Mickey Rooney show which was Show Number 1 but they didn't use it as the first broadcast program). My head hurts! I just want all the Judy shows on DVD. I've seen them on Amazon (I believe) for a LOT of money (of course, they are out of print) but as much as I want them I'm not going to pay those prices. I look at Academy when I go but they rarely turn up.

We will be leaving for dinner soon. We are going to one of our favorite Chelsea locations, Lasagne, for an early NYE dinner and then a movie when we return home. We just don't know which movie yet.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2009, 02:04:29 PM »

DR PennyO - Does your cellphone have a camera?  -Maybe you could someone at the party to snap a pic of the tray of goodies before people start digging in, and then have him/her email it to you.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »

DR EDISAURUS the cast of HAIR will be performing in Times Square tonight!
Oh wow...I'm sure we won't be able to get close enough to see them but it will be great to HEAR them!

Laura

« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »

It smells very soupy in my house today.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Edisaurus

« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2009, 02:09:03 PM »

DR edisaurus - Hope you're having a wonderful day, a wonderful New Year's Eve Morning!  -And I'm sure you and Greg will have a wonderful and most memorable evening.

I'm sure it will be memorable...just hope it's in a good way!

At least I'm not planning to take my wallet to Times Square. Sage advice from DR Elmore!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »

DR EDISAURUS the cast of HAIR will be performing in Times Square tonight!
Oh wow...I'm sure we won't be able to get close enough to see them but it will be great to HEAR them!

DR edisaurus - Try to grab a spot in Times Square close to the subway train (station) you eventually want to get on to head back downtown.  The NYPD starts restricting access across the Square around 12:30 - "Please leave via the closest exit." Otherwise, you could be in for a good walk to get to the subway.  -Although, walking up and down 8th Avenue after midnight is great for people-watching too. :)

Stay safe and warm tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2009, 02:10:53 PM »

Oh...

Welcome Back To New York City, DR edisaurus!

*And ain't those fast and harrowing cab rides just the best? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

I thought they were rereleasing THE JUDY GARLAND SHOW DVDs.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2009, 02:11:51 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - I hope your accumulated mail finds its way to you soon.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2009, 02:14:54 PM »

We have been watching The Judy Garland Show in order over the past few weeks.  I think we are up to show #8 or 9.

Do you have the entire series? We have been trying to gather them together through various libraries but since they are out of print the entire collection is not easy to get. We have Volume from the Infinity re-release, which is different from the original Pioneer Arts release. It contains Count Basie and Liza Minnelli instead of Mickey Rooney and Liza Minnelli. We don't have Volume 2, which has the Lena Horne show. We have Volume 3 (the Christmas show) and Volumes 4-8 (Volume 6 is listed as the "Legends" show with clips instead of entire episodes). We don't have anything after that. The annoying thing about the initial release, IMHO, is they didn't release the "Volumes" in show order. They released them in the order in which they would sell best, I guess, so you can't get Volumes and get Show Order (except for the initial Pioneer Arts release which has the Mickey Rooney show which was Show Number 1 but they didn't use it as the first broadcast program). My head hurts! I just want all the Judy shows on DVD. I've seen them on Amazon (I believe) for a LOT of money (of course, they are out of print) but as much as I want them I'm not going to pay those prices. I look at Academy when I go but they rarely turn up.

I know what you mean.  One of the CDs that was stolen from my garage this summer (or whenever it actually happened ::)) was the original 1990 studio compilation, "Hey, Mr. Producer," the tribute to Cameron Mackintosh.  Either it's not available or it's extremely expensive (there was one on eBay for more than $150!)...I'm not paying that much to replace one item.  Anyway, I went to Amazon today and someone listed a copy with the correct picture (below) for only $20 + shipping!  Hoo and Ray! 

Now, it just better actually be that actual item!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21   Go Up