Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T FORGET  (Read 58545 times)

Jennifer

Re:DON'T FORGET
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2004, 09:23:49 AM »

Good health vibes to DR Jose ~~~~~~~~~~~

Good financial vibes to our favorite DR TCB ~~~~~~~~

Oh and DR Danise, that festival you went to yesterday sounds great!

Btw, is poutine french food? :)

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2004, 09:27:01 AM »

Page Two dance!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :) ;) :D :o [/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]   :P :-[ :-X 8) :o :( ;D :D ;) :) :-X [/move]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 09:31:06 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2004, 09:41:24 AM »

Good luck on the door prizes DR Panni!

I am trying to think of exotic foods I've tried.  I've definitely had food like escargots and frogs legs.  But I guess I'm not too daring, because I'm drawing a blank.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2004, 09:43:06 AM »

Tony winner Jane Krakowski has joined the cast of NBC's "A Christmas Carol".

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=B02KTEEI5TKNICRBAEKSFEY?type=topNews&storyID=4801040

(link didn't work the first time :()
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 09:46:32 AM by Jennifer »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2004, 09:46:41 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Thank you all for the Good Health Vibes, they seem to be doing their magic.  However, I'm still not back up to snuff - and even though I did "sleep" about 14(!) hours last night, it was not the most restful.  I even had chills now and then - not good.  So, once I'm more awake and less achy, I'm going to head to the doctor's office.

I know, I know... poor, poor, pitiful me..  :P

As for food - I really can't think of food right now... I'm just not hungry... I just don't want to eat right now.  ???  Hopefully, my appetitite will return once I get back from the doctor's office.

Good vibes to TCB too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2004, 09:50:26 AM »

http://www.lamc.org/concerts/040615.html

Heard from Jason Robert Brown today that Disney Hall is doing a concert called The New Broadway with him, Sondheim, Michael John LaChiusa, Ricky Ian Gordon and Adam Guettel - in other words, the Usual Suspects.

I do not begrudge Mr. Brown his success, and, if I'm in L.A. at the time, I'll attend the concert at Disney Hall.  I've posted the link so you left coasters can attend.

But why why why why why (that's five whys) is the focus, once again, on The Usual Supsects?  Somebody (whom I feel is lacking in taste) annointed these four wunderkinds "the voices of the new Broadway" and, it seems, everywhere you turn, someone else is following suit.  It doesn't matter that Gordon and Guettel have never had any work on Broadway, they're "the voices of the new Broadway" or that all of LaChiusa and Brown's work in New York has failed commercially (with the possible exception of Songs for a New World).

Yes, it's a familiar rant.  I'm sorry.

Let me state this more positively:

Lynne Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty deserve to be called "the voices of the new Broadway" and two of their shows, Once on This Island and Ragtime, had substantial Broadway runs.  My old pal Jeanine Tesori this month becoms the first female composer to have two shows running on Broadway at once (correct me if I'm wrong) and, when she did incidental music for a Shakespeare production, she nabbed a Tony nomination.  And since this concert's in Los Angeles, I might as well support the notion that a Californian composer I despise, Frank Wildhorn, counts as one of "the voices of the new Broadway" since he's had three shows on The Street, two of which ran for many months, and his songs are frequently performed.

I know we don't want to argue about Brown.  Fine.  Can any Dear Reader state that he's actually enjoyed a Ricky Ian Gordon musical in the theatre?  I'd even like to hear of someone liking a LaChiusa work.  (He, at least, is friendly.)

End rant.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2004, 10:32:14 AM »

http://www.lamc.org/concerts/040615.html

Heard from Jason Robert Brown today that Disney Hall is doing a concert called The New Broadway with him, Sondheim, Michael John LaChiusa, Ricky Ian Gordon and Adam Guettel - in other words, the Usual Suspects.

Sondheim is "New Broadway"?!?  He's been composing and/or lyric-ing since the 50s, for Pete's sake.  

I more or less enjoy the works of all the authors you've cited with the sole and very definate exception of Wildhorn.  I would also throw William Finn, Andrew Lippa and Craig Carnelia into the mix.  While there are only a couple of complete scores that these people have worked on that have thouroughly clicked for me, I still look forward to any new work that they do.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2004, 10:44:48 AM »

Yes, Sondheim as a "new Broadway voice" is pretty ridiculous.

Lynne Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (whom I love) and William Finn are much more deserving of the title.
Maury Yeston had NINE in 1982, but he seems to have many wonderful shows left in him to compose.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 10:46:00 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2004, 10:57:37 AM »

The Los Angeles Master Chorale is not promoting Stephen Sondheim as "New Broadway," but rather as a muse for these "usual suspects."  The text reads:

The genius of Stephen Sondheim has inspired a new generation of composers whose brilliant works dazzle audiences both on and off Broadway. Hear the sounds that have re-energized the musical theater world, performed by some of Broadway’s most exciting stars.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2004, 11:11:48 AM »

These people have re-energized the musical theater world?  Not for me, they haven't.  Not a single solitary one of them.  

Jed

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2004, 11:18:43 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has seen any of the three versions of Stop the World I Want To Get Off (Tony Tanner, Sammy Davis, Peter Scolari) and does anyone know if there are any other musicals that have been filmed three or more times and the caveat being that more or less uses the original book and the score. (Anything Goes has bee done three times but the plot has been drastically change in two of them and the score has song added by other composers.)

Seen the Tanner version a number of times, and rather enjoy it.  Have not seen the Davis.  Saw the Scolari (co-starring Stephanie Zimbalist) when it first aired (on A&E, I believe)... totally forgettable.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

It seems like we've been on page two for hours. :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2004, 11:39:49 AM »

Yes, well it's Monday and know all about Mondays.  Can't trust that day.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2004, 11:43:12 AM »

I am glad Lent is over.

I gave up bad taste for Lent.

I gave up potato chips and chocolate and I'm surprised how little I missed the former.  I just had a bag of Herr's chips with my lunch and I feel like I had a mouthful of salt.  Blechh!

I'm not much for exotic meals, either.  But if properly coaxed I will push my gastronomic envelope.  A few years back , some friends pulled me into an Irani restuarant in the Wall Street area (I'm sure that it's gone now.)  I was famished when we ate there and I went wild on the spicy hummus that I though was an appitizer, but turned out to be the first of many courses.  Not full blown courses, though--more like they brought you a little bit of everything that they made in the kitchen.  One of the more tastey things I remember was a plate of slightly curried shredded lamb.  It was kind of tough but I didn't mind having to keep chewing it because it was so flavorful.  Another dish-ette was a kabob with very tender cubes of beef and pieces of pears.  This was all served with cups of strong bitter coffee and glasses of sweet wine.  There was no desert, but there were plates of various dried fruits and a creamy lemon sauce that were on the table the whole time.  The only thing I remember not liking was a plate of finely-chopped squash that seemed rather bland and pedestrian compared to the other courses.  In any event, enjoyed the meal overall.  I fell asleep in the cab ride uptown.

As far as French food is concerned, I prefer the heartier country provincial-style of French cooking to the Escoffier haute cuisine that most French restuarants offer.  There is a great place over in New Jersey that I like a lot that serves the former style of food.  Wonderfully full-bodied beef stews and big thick lamb chops with hearty mustard.  Yummmmmm....
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2004, 11:44:43 AM »

The Los Angeles Master Chorale is not promoting Stephen Sondheim as "New Broadway," but rather as a muse for these "usual suspects."  The text reads:

The genius of Stephen Sondheim has inspired a new generation of composers whose brilliant works dazzle audiences both on and off Broadway. Hear the sounds that have re-energized the musical theater world, performed by some of Broadway’s most exciting stars.

Ohhhhhh.  That's very different.  

Never mind.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2004, 11:44:45 AM »

We just need 15 more posts to get to page 3 (this post will make 45 and we hit page 3 at 60). I'm listening to the Broadway Radio Show right now and having lots of fun listening to shows which opened at the Broadway Theatre.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 11:46:23 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2004, 11:56:21 AM »

From www.kwy1060.com :

In Polish-American Communities, Easter Monday is ''Dyngus Day''

Happy Dyngus Day.

What's Dyngus Day?

It's the day after Easter, when Polish-Americans get together for parties and show affection in unusual ways.

On Dyngus Day, it's a tradition for women to smack their favorite guy with a pussywillow, while the guys return the affection by squirting the ladies with water.

Dyngus Day is an unofficial holiday in and around Buffalo, NY, home to a large Polish-American community. The day features parties with traditional Polish food and polka bands to entertain the crowds.

The tradition carries on the joy and feasting of Easter Sunday, after the often restrictive observance of the Lenten
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2004, 11:57:20 AM »

I can do 15 more posts. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2004, 11:58:24 AM »

Now that you started talking about food again, I realize I am very hungry as I forgot to eat lunch.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »

The two most exotic food I ever had were...
1. A banana. I was quite young, maybe 6 - in Hungary. In those days, under the Communists, bananas were a huge luxury and rarely found. I had a very wealthy but extremely cheap great aunt - my grandmother's sister - who lived in Munich. I had never met her and she came for a visit. Her present for all the kids - myself and three cousins - was a banana (It was probably two bananas - but my cousin Eva and I shared a banana - so I only remember one.) ...I had never even touched a banana before, let alone tasted one. I will never forget the explosion of taste in my mouth. Zowie!

Number 2 on the exotic list was Jello. I had never ever seen Jello. When we escaped Hungary and wound up in England, being fed in part at the Salvation Army, I picked up a bowl of Jello there. Wow! The most exotic, pretty, shaky, shiny food I'd ever seen. The taste wasn't too exciting, but who cared.

As for French food. When I lived in LA the first time, there was a little chef-owned French restaurant on Ventura, across the street from the Hilton Hotel, now the Galleria. There was only one dish - a very thin steak with unbelievably delicious gravy, made from a secret recipe passed down by the chef's French father. I do not like steak, but this was to die for. Served of course with the most divine pommes frites.

Feed me, Seymour!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 12:06:15 PM by Panni »

Ben

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2004, 12:03:06 PM »

I had half an eggplant stromboli for lunch and then an apple with a glass of water.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2004, 12:16:56 PM »

I don't know what it was, but it was at the Chinese Food buffet.  It was good and I went back and got some more.  The tag over the container was missing....so it might have been something I would have never tried if I knew what it was.  It was green.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2004, 12:23:47 PM »

Great descriptions DR Panni.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2004, 12:27:35 PM »

What's exotic to me is something I've never tried....I imagine that would be something like that poisonous fish the Japanese have turned into a high gourmet delicacy, or whale meat or otter's feet.

I've tried many different foods in my lifetime, and I'm totally in love with oriental cuisine, middle eastern cuisiine, Italian cuisine, Greek cuisine, Turkish cuisine, Indian cuisine, Mexican cuisine, Fremch cuisine, German cuisine and good old US of A cuisine.

I'm not a fan of pemmican.  I've never had an Idi Amin burger and will never try one.

That said, there are probably countless delicacies in each of the aforementioned cuisines that I've yet to try (and probably a few of them I would not try).  For instance, I'm not now, and never will be, enticed to try mountain oysters or chitlins (chitterlings).  I'm not inclined to munch on escargot, either.  I've not had rattlesnake or gator.  And I don't wanna.

I have had buffalo burgers.  And assorted wild game that my host saw fit NOT to name (so I MIGHT have had snake, but don't know it).

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2004, 12:30:59 PM »

I don't suppose Mexican food counts as being exotic?

It was when I first moved to New Jersey, from So. California, in the late seventies. :o

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2004, 12:33:52 PM »

I think part of the problem, re "New Broadway," is that Broadway itself has very little that is new these days.  So much is being retreaded, whether as revivals or revisals or reviews, that new material isn't likely to get produced.

What we should be using as our catchphrase is "New American Theater Music," which allows the rest of the nation to get involved.  Guittel's works, which I enjoy, aren't "Broadway" in sound or production, but they are being produced in regional theaters.  Same is true of LaChuisa, although he's getting more NYC play.  I consider these composers to be in the vangard, and as such they get vangard press.

I've enjoyed Tesori's work, and Finn's and that of Flaherty and Ahern.  They are, perhaps, more "accessable" than those usual suspects, and easier for the press to ignore as a result.

But the real problem isn't who, but where.  At some point, we're all going to have to face the fact that NYC and Broadway are not necessarily the focus of American theater any more.  Regional theater has much to offer, and can distribute the live theater experience better (and more affordably) than a trip to the Big Apple.  The glitch is that so much of the press is still based in NYC.

And by that I don't just mean the newspapers and magazines, although they have much to do with publicizing what is happening.  I also refer to getting works published, in the form of scripts and recordings.  For our national theater to thrive, works have to have productions in several diverse locales; in turn, this requires that the scripts and music be read and heard by theater directors, so that they can elect these works for production.  By getting these shows recorded and out to the general public for their listening enjoyment, a desire to see these shows on the boards can also be built.

And who knows?  Maybe by nurturing works away from the glare of Broadway, they can then be brought into the City and revitalize NYC once again.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2004, 12:35:06 PM »

I don't know what it was, but it was at the Chinese Food buffet.  It was good and I went back and got some more.  The tag over the container was missing....so it might have been something I would have never tried if I knew what it was.  It was green.
So is mold.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2004, 12:42:38 PM »

Thanks SWW....  Now I don't feel so good.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2004, 12:44:29 PM »

Number 58

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2004, 12:44:34 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I'm glad I went to the doctor... A fever of 102(!), and a look of "Wow! Whoa!" from both the nurse practitioner and the doctor after they looked at my throat.  -I'll spare you the details.

So, I'm on antibiotics for the next 10 days, and, I'll just have to make sure I don't come in contact with any actors tomorrow night at the theatre - the show must go on.  And lots of hand-washing.

The strep test came back negative, but there's definitely something back there this time.  Not just my usual spring allergy attack.

So... I headed to the grocery store and picked up some comfort foods: chili, salisbury steak with mac 'n cheese, strawberry pound cake, and some yogurt - had to get something healthy in there.  Oh, and the Hershey's with Almonds were on sale!   And an Almond Joy too! ;)

If anything, I am feeling better now that I know I truly am sick... if that makes sense.  But I'm amazed my fever was/is so high - just doesn't feel that "warm" to me.

Well, time for me to curl up on the couch...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up