Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T FORGET  (Read 57035 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DON'T FORGET
« on: April 12, 2004, 12:01:53 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've forgotten the notes, you've tried to remember the notes and you're losing your mind.  So, now it is time to post until the Duck ala Orange comes home.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 12:01:17 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:DON'T FORGET
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 12:20:00 AM »

Good good vibes to TCB.

And a good goodnight, to all.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 12:24:11 AM »

BK, I have never seen the party all the way through, but what I've seen I've liked.  My pal Denny Miller who played the cowboy star in it said Peter Sellers for some reason took a shine to him and it remains to this day one of his favourite movie experiences.

I'm not an exotic food guy. The most exotic I get is probably Indian food and even then, it the usually meat and tandoori dishes.

For the most part, I find French food a little heavy and a bit fancy.  

Easter I spent a while at a party of some old Kentucky theatre friends where a bunch more Kentucky theatre friends congregated.  My friend Kathy Foley, who reviews theatre for LA TIMES, regaled us with tales of an horrendous HAMLET she had seen at the Tamarind Theatre where no one knew their lines and apparently the director had walked out and the owner of the theatre had cast himself as Hamlet in the vanity production of all vanity productions and was terrible. But rumour has it, this waiver theatre production had a 300,000 dollar publicity budget.  Maybe you locals have seen the billboards advertising it all over town.  Anyway, you might want to look for Foley's review in the Times.  Also at this gathering was the actor...who, forgive me...I can only remember his first name, Bill...who you might remember as Larry with the two brothers named Daryl from the Bob Newhart Show (the 2nd one).  He's also currently in Deadwood. Very nice man.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 03:24:03 AM »

Also at this gathering was the actor...who, forgive me...I can only remember his first name, Bill...who you might remember as Larry with the two brothers named Daryl from the Bob Newhart Show (the 2nd one).  He's also currently in Deadwood. Very nice man.

William Sanderson who was also in Blade Runner
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 03:49:11 AM »

Not a big fan of French Food, but I guess I will have to also say Duck a la Orange as well.

Exotic foods I like Thai if it is considered to be exotic. Pad Thai is my favorite dish and the spicy soup with coconut milk
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 04:00:59 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has seen any of the three versions of Stop the World I Want To Get Off (Tony Tanner, Sammy Davis, Peter Scolari) and does anyone know if there are any other musicals that have been filmed three or more times and the caveat being that more or less uses the original book and the score. (Anything Goes has bee done three times but the plot has been drastically change in two of them and the score has song added by other composers.)
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 05:50:16 AM »

Good morning, all!  I think the pollen has finally landed in NYC.  My eyeballs are itching this morning, and I may have to buy some of dear friend BK's allergy tonics.

Another food day after Easter and Passover dinner discussions?  Well, let me think here for a moment:

1.  French:  there was a great restaurant in Cincinnati, Maisonette, and I remember wonderful crepes filled with seafood and a light, creamy sauce.  Tres wunderbar!  I had a nice lunch at a French restaurant on the cxorner of 9th Ave and 46th Street with Louis Botto, editor of PLAYBILL, and press agent Robert Ullman, but I remember more about their stories of Merman and others than the lunch.

2.  There used to be a Thai restaurant on Broadway in the high 90s, and they served wonderful Pad Thai with lots of shrimp and noodles in a great spicy blend, but I really have no idea of what else made up the dish.

3.  Indian:  there are so many excellent restaurants in the East Village, not very costly, and the portions and menus are quite generous with a variety of items.  I couldn't tell you the name of nearly anything on the menu, but the breads, condiments, and a cucumber-yogurt dish are really tasty.  I usually end up with some form of shrimp curry.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 06:11:51 AM »

I love French Fries and French Toast.

When did Peter Scolari (not one of my favorite performers) film STOP THE WORLD... and why?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 06:14:34 AM »

I don't suppose Mexican food counts as being exotic?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 06:26:24 AM »

I'm not that big on exotic food.  I don't think it's so much that I'm not adventuresome enough as that I loathe spending the money to order something I've never before had, only to wind up unhappily surprised...and famished.

Once when we went out with some friends to a Chinese place, somebody ordered jellyfish and urged everyone at the table to try some.  Since everyone made faces as they chewed and said things like, "I feel like I've got a mouthful of old rubber bands," I declined the honor when the plate was passed to me, whereupon I was immediately the center of "fraidy cat" remarks.  If people had been exclaiming over how wonderful the jellyfish was, I would have no doubt tried it; but I didn't see the point in eating something everyone seemed to dislike, just so I could proudly claim, "I've eaten jellyfish!"

I have had tandoori chicken at an Indian place in London and Tibetan food of some stripe (I cannot for the life of me remember what the dish was...only that snow peas were involved) at a restaurant in Bloomington, Indiana.  That's about as exotic as I get.

I adore French Onion Soup (with a hunk of French bread and melty mozzarella on top, nicely browned) and brie (preferably topping Carr's Distinctive Flavour Assortment crackers).  I used to love duck l'orange when I was a young'un but now find duck meat too greasy.  The crispy skin combined with the yummy orange sauce is still wonderful, however.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 06:29:38 AM »

Forgot to mention that I once tried steak tartar and found it repulsive.

Also that I love sushi rolls but don't care for sashimi.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 06:30:45 AM »

My Ethiopian food experience was not the best, but I'm willing to give it another shot. We have an especially cheap acquaintance, Beverly, with whom we used to go to the theatre. We set up a system of having a post-matinee dinner - with each of the four in the group selecting a cuisine and then picking up the tab. It started with French, then moved on to Italian and then Portuguese - all somewhat upscale restaurants. Then cane Beverly's turn. She opted for Ethiopian, and before any of us could study the menu ordered the "house special" for everyone. The special wasn't, consisting of the same meat dish in different shapes. For vegetables we munched on the lettuce and tomato garnish. The restaurant was conveniently unlicensed, and we skipped dessert.

I don't know if this qualifies as an exotic dish, but my friend Gino's mother makes zucchini-blossom pancakes, which I look forward to every summer.

When I was last in NYC, my friend Patty took me to an Afghani restaurant on the upper west side. (I believe it's in DRs Noel and Joy's neck of the woods; east side of Broadway, around 100th Street?) We both enjoyed the largely vegetarian dishes we had.

I love  French cheeses, "frites," and just about any variety of flan.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 06:37:53 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ben

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 06:50:41 AM »

I was errant and truant all weekend. We were out on the Isle of Long for Easter. Had a nice relaxing time, going to the library on Saturday (we lead such exciting lives lol) were I found the DRG CD release of the 1972 Lyrics and Lyricsts seminar with Dorothy Fields. We also found some records (remember those?) including one from the Smithsonian Archives consisting of an archival recording of Whoopee w/Eddie Cantor. We had a lovely Easter dinner w/Anthony's relatives yesterday and took a late train back to the city. I'm still catching up on notes and posts so I'll come back later w/thoughts on French food.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 07:07:25 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~VIBES OF THE GOOD VARIETY TO TCB~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~VIBES OF THE HEALTH VARIETY TO JOSE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

But, of course, "French" fries are Belgian, as any Frenchman  (François, ou est-tu?) will tell you.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 07:08:39 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 07:13:42 AM »

That should be "où est-tu?"
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 07:30:34 AM »

I am sadly lacking in French food knowledge. I know that I went to a French place in San Francisco a couple of years ago, but I don't recall what I had other then the escargot. I know that I enjoyed the meal, whatever it was I ordered.

I am quite adventuresome with exotic foods and when I visited Japan I hate lots of stuff I couldn't identify...and it was all tasty. I would say that the blackened mudfish (head, tail and all) is one of the more exotic dishes I had....and it was also one of the most delicious...and at $65.00 it had better have been (I was at a very fancy restaurant).

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 07:40:17 AM »

This little gem seems topical:

Now that I'm 'older' (but refuse to grow up), here's what I've discovered:

1. I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

2. My wild oats have turned into prunes and All Bran.

3. I finally got my head together; now my body is falling apart.

4. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

5. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

6. All reports are in; life is now officially unfair.

7. If all is not lost, where is it?

8. It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

9. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

10. Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant.

11. I wish the buck stopped here; I sure could use a few...

12. Kids in the back seat cause accidents.

13. Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

14. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

15. It's hard to make a come back when you haven't been anywhere.

16. The only time the world beats a path to your door is when you're in the bathroom.

17. If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

18. When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does everyone decide to play chess?

19. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

20. It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

21. The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

22. These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter... I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.

23. I AM UNABLE TO REMEMBER IF I HAVE POSTED THIS OR NOT!

24. Funny, I don't remember being . . . . . absent minded...

der...what's that name again...
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004, 07:47:29 AM »

I am glad Lent is over.

I gave up bad taste for Lent.

Now I have ordered "The Attack of the Puppet People" DVD.

Some DRs are a terrible influence!

And spaeking of "taste", for those of you with a taste for biting satire I offer the following from Andrew Sullivan's blog:

THE UNFAB FIVE: Yes, it's Ralph Reed, Pat Buchanan, Rush Limbaugh, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell - all here to help rearrange the lives of young couples who aren't with the religious right program. Right Wing Eye for the Liberal Guy. Enjoy the movie.

der Brucer (wondering if their is a connection between the Puppet People and the Religious Right?)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 07:54:37 AM »

Well, DR Michael Shayne, it all depends on what you call "filming." ANNIE GET YOUR GUN has been done three times: the 1950 MGM musical, the 1957 Mary Martin TV spectacular that was kinoscoped, and the Ethel Merman revival in 1966 that was taped and shown on TV. Is that what you're after?

CINDERELLA has been done three times on TV with Julie Andrews, Lesley Ann Warren, and Brandy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004, 07:56:57 AM »

The most exotic dish I've ever had was turtle which I rather liked. As far as most exotic cuisine, I guess it was Cuban.

THough I don't have it often, I've never had any French dish that I didn't like as heavy as it has usually been.

I should be able to be at chat for a little while tonight. Looking forward to participating.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2004, 08:07:41 AM »

Does anyone have the Criterion DVD of Olivier's RICHARD III? I just read a review of it that raved about the picture quality, and since this is a nothing week for new releases, I may have to treat myself to this disc for my week's purchase.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2004, 08:09:48 AM »

But, of course, "French" fries are Belgian, as any Frenchman  (François, ou est-tu?) will tell you.

And the very best fries are cooked in Horse Lard, as any  (perverse) gourmand will tell you.

der Brucer (sorry, Jane)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2004, 08:44:39 AM »

Hi, my name is Jeff and I am a Reversi addict.  There, I've said it.

Here's a semi-humorous exotic food story--I was a teenager touring Europe by my little ol' lonesome and when in Rome I had a coupon for some nifty restaurant right next to the ruins.  The only thing the coupon would cover was some multi-named thing with "Penne", "Alfredo" and a bunch of other really hoity-toity adjectives.  I ordered it and what should I get but a big ol' steamin' bowl of mac 'n' cheese.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2004, 08:46:11 AM »

Matt H:     I mentioned the Criterion Richard III here a few weeks ago--it's really good, most of the missing footage has been restored, but my fave part is the white horse-delivery truck about 11 minutes before the end of the film, right as Bosworth is getting started.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2004, 08:48:07 AM »

Claudine Longet always "seemed" sweet.

But, of course, former Olympic skier/professional ski instructor Spider Sabich found out otherwise.

http://www.swinginchicks.com/claudine_longet.htm

But, by all means, "Hello, Hello..."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 09:07:59 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2004, 08:55:24 AM »

That should be "où est-tu?"

That should actually be "où ES-tu?" :P

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2004, 08:57:35 AM »

Richard III looks very good, very sharp and nice color.  It was shot in VistaVision.  Excellent score, as always, by Sir William Walton.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2004, 09:01:49 AM »

I ordered RICHARD III this morning. Thanks for the info. I thought I remembered the topic coming up on the forum, so I knew some Hainsies had it. I haven't seen it in years, so I'm looking forward to a sterling video presentation.

Panni

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2004, 09:08:05 AM »

I won't be at chat tonight because I'm going to the Annual Membership Meeting of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. This is not the kind of thing I usually attend (make that NEVER) - but the Academy is not far from where I live, so getting there is no big deal AND they're offering rather good door prizes. (They're no fools - who the hell would attend otherwise?) Among the door prizes ("including but not limited to" according to my invitation ) are tickets to Thoroughly Modern Millie and to concerts at the Walt Disney Hall. I'm feeling lucky!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 09:12:16 AM by Panni »

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2004, 09:21:14 AM »

Well I've read the notes and yesterday's posts.  But I'm posting this before reading all the posts from today.  Is that allowed? :)

If I have something I want to remember I try to jot it down.  It seems to work better than thinking I will remember something, and then forgetting it.

If there are a few things to remember and I have no paper I sometimes make a word out of the first letters!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up