Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLEARY WEARY EYES  (Read 21649 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: BLEARY WEARY EYES
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 06:53:59 AM »

TOD:

Hmmmmmmmmmm..........probably a very nice metal model of a propeller airliner, sort of like the one in THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY.  The top came off and there were seats and people, etc.  It was pretty large, at least to me, and it was fun to take flights around the world.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 06:55:26 AM »

My work project today is THE BOYS ARE BACK, a Clive Owen domestic drama that didn't do much at the box-office last fall. I like him so much as an actor, however, that I'm looking forward to seeing it. There aren't many bonus features on the disc, and the movie itself isn't that long, so I should be able to finish it all this afternoon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 06:56:49 AM »

TOD:

Probably the Robby the Robot toy that I got when I was 7 or 8. Could this be why I adore the movie FORBIDDEN PLANET so much now as an adult. Maybe!

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 06:57:52 AM »

All of the broadcast networks have new episodes of their shows this evening. The CW is introducing a new drama, and I'm looking forward to the continuation of '24,' CHUCK, and CASTLE.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 06:59:01 AM »

I'm also looking forward to rewatching the men's figure skating finals which I didn't erase from the DVR after I watched them last evening.

They never really did show the short programs in their entirety, just little snippets from them which continued to irritate me to no end.

The ladies (and I assume the dance) skate next weekend, a first I think with them dividing the national championships into two weekends.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 07:05:25 AM »

Happy Birthday to Charles Pogue...even though we don't agree on Alan Ladd.

;)
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 07:07:10 AM »

TOD:

I don't think that there are any toys that I would want from my childhood.

Maybe my comic books, because they would be worth a hell of a lot of money today.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 07:07:32 AM »

No USPS mail service today! Argh!

UPS is running, but I'm not expecting anything.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 07:09:42 AM »

DR elmore--looking foward to the Finian's Rainbow CD! 

It's good, it's really good!

DR Matt H, the boys are on OLTL today and tomorrow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Julie

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 07:14:05 AM »

'morning!

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 07:14:19 AM »

DN Laura left about half an hour ago to drive back home to Illinois.  Her 2 days' work at my Mom's were a huge help.

In other niece news, our DN and goddaughter Lauren turns 21 today - there's a big party planned for Friday evening.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 07:14:31 AM »

DR ELMORE what was the stage manager doing out in the audience?

During the run, Tripp watched performances of the show weekly the show to keep up the opening night standards, check on the standbys, and give notes, as well as covering the standby rehearsals while his assistant called the show. I guess Tom called the show so Tripp could go out and watch the final performance yesterday. Tripp occasionally posts on castrecl and I think he's one of the best. I really like him and I think he's very good juggling the show, supporting the cast and crew, and answering inquiries from others like me on the production.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Julie

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO CHARLES POGUE!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 07:15:31 AM »

Toys? Mr Machine!

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »

TOD - I'd like to have back my old clunker hand-me-down Schwinn, not for the bike itself, but for the nice wicker basket I bought to attach to the handlebars.  Someone borrowed it and never returned it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 07:20:34 AM »

DR Matt Hough

I think you are making mistake by not going the see Avatar in a theater. It is not the best film I've ever seen, but it deserves to be seen in 3D and if possible in IMAX. I don't think the film experience can be duplicated by watching it on a TV set.

As a film reviewer who might review the blu-ray/dvd I feel that you should see it so you can compare the experience of watching both film formats. As a consumer I would like to know what the differences are and whether or not I would buy a copy.

Thanks for reading

But it's not my job to review AVATAR as a theatrical experience, only as a home video experience. And where will it stop? Why wouldn't I also go see it in a 2-D theater so I could compare it to the 3-D and later to its home video incarnation.

The fact is I have limited time and limited money. Fox is not sending me a press pass to see the film in a theater (unlike when I reviewed movies for a newspaper where I was entitled to gratis attendance), and if I start that with AVATAR, it wouldn't be fair to the other three hundred DVDs and Blu-rays I review every year that I'm not watching the films in a theater first either. I am not and would not make an exception for AVATAR no matter how spectacular the experience may be in a theater.

Aside from the fact that I really didn't like AVATAR as a movie, I found the 3-D process to be both distracting and annoying.

The visuals are, indeed, spectacular, as is the 3-D process, but the novelty wears off very quickly.

I was looking at my watch during the film's first half-hour.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »

Toys? Mr Machine!

I had a Mr. Machine, too!  I loved how you could take him apart and put him back together.  In fact, because of Mr. Machine I began dissembling and reassembling all my toys which in turn led to doing the same to electronic equipment.

Yes, Dan (the Man) played with electricity!

...and survived!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »

DR elmore--looking foward to the Finian's Rainbow CD! 

It's good, it's really good!

DR Matt H, the boys are on OLTL today and tomorrow.

As FINIAN'S RAINBOW is one of my favorite all-time scores from the GOlden Age of Broadway, I cannot wait for this release.

Thanks for the heads up on the fellas. I'll be watching (via DVR, of course).

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »

Now, I need to head downstairs and get cleaned up. Not sure if we're doing lunch today since best friend John is at home with his kids who are off from school, but I want to be ready in case he decides he wants to do lunch.

WBBL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »

DR Matt Hough

I think you are making mistake by not going the see Avatar in a theater. It is not the best film I've ever seen, but it deserves to be seen in 3D and if possible in IMAX. I don't think the film experience can be duplicated by watching it on a TV set.

As a film reviewer who might review the blu-ray/dvd I feel that you should see it so you can compare the experience of watching both film formats. As a consumer I would like to know what the differences are and whether or not I would buy a copy.

Thanks for reading

But it's not my job to review AVATAR as a theatrical experience, only as a home video experience. And where will it stop? Why wouldn't I also go see it in a 2-D theater so I could compare it to the 3-D and later to its home video incarnation.

The fact is I have limited time and limited money. Fox is not sending me a press pass to see the film in a theater (unlike when I reviewed movies for a newspaper where I was entitled to gratis attendance), and if I start that with AVATAR, it wouldn't be fair to the other three hundred DVDs and Blu-rays I review every year that I'm not watching the films in a theater first either. I am not and would not make an exception for AVATAR no matter how spectacular the experience may be in a theater.

Aside from the fact that I really didn't like AVATAR as a movie, I found the 3-D process to be both distracting and annoying.

The visuals are, indeed, spectacular, as is the 3-D process, but the novelty wears off very quickly.

I was looking at my watch during the film's first half-hour.

I saw AVATAR again this weekend, this time in the True D format and enjoyed it even more!  I generally avoid 3-D showings because they leave me with eye strain and a headache and the effect usually is not worth it.  But I had no ill effects from AVATAR.  And Cameron doesn't use 3-D for moments of cheap gimmickry but rather to add an overall depth to the entire film.  If I have one complaint it's that the glasses do tend to fade the color some.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2010, 07:43:07 AM »

I find it funny that my love for toy robots stemmed from the fact that my mother always bought them for me, whether I asked for them or not.  I know they were all the rage back then and most parents were picking them up for their children.  But my mom was never one to go along with the fads so I would think that there was something about them that attracted her, too.  I need to talk to her about that one of these days...
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2010, 07:43:30 AM »

Happy birthday to DR Pogue

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2010, 07:48:40 AM »

Happy birthday, DR Pogue.

I am off in New Orleans for a couple of days of relaxation in a place just at the jazz end of the Quarter. Heard some great music last night at a club about two blocks away, which is as much a soul restorative as one could want.

I can't think of any toys from my first, second or third childhoods that I would want that I don't still have, but there are a few books, such as an old edition of "Glenda of Oz" and an illustrated edition of "Around the World in 80 Days" that I read and re-read many times.  And some albums, such as a fold-out edition of "Mary Poppins." Lost treasures, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:59 AM »

I wanted to have a Mr Machine.....but never got one.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2010, 07:52:40 AM »

DR CP - I highly recommend an animated series called ARCHER that airs on FX on Thursday nights at 11 p.m. EST, check your local schedule.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2010, 07:53:16 AM »

Good choices DR JOHN G.

Thanks for the explanation DR ELMORE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 07:53:59 AM »

Off to do my workout.  So that will have to suffice for the Page Two Dance.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »

I just had a major mental block at Staples while I was doing some photocopying: first I lost the wallet insert holding all of my social security, credit and various other cards and I had to have a clerk help me find it and then I went over to the counter to deal with some binding and left my wallet on the copier. What's runa away with my mind?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:52:55 AM by elmore3003 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »

DR JOSE wasn't there a party at your place last night?  How was it?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »

I wanted to have a Mr Machine.....but never got one.

What is a Mr. Machine?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up