Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BETTER FOR IT  (Read 49161 times)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
Re:THE BETTER FOR IT
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2004, 01:35:43 PM »

I forgot to mention earlier that I did actually have a pretty interesting lunch break...although it's raining and cold here today, I walked around the neighborhood, gawking like a tourist at all the historical spots -- the Bull (whose balls I rubbed, just like I said I would), the ticker-tape parade honorees' sidewalk placards, Pearl Street, Standard & Poor's, and even found an amazing little hole-in-the-wall pizza place on Battery Place, I think, called New York Pizza Factory, that had the best New York pizza I've had in a long, long time -- maybe ever.  It was a nice crispy brick-oven style in a historical building.  So despite the weather, I had a lovely lunch.

Only DH Noel will know what this is:  somewhere near the Fraunces Tavern is a modern building that was built over the site of an old colonial governor's tavern.  The architect of this building preserved the stone foundation and part of the walls of the tavern:  in the plaza in front of the building, as you walk on the ground you see that part of the ground is a set of glass panes, through which you can see the stones and some of the artifacts they found while excavating.  They also preserved, in much the same way, an old cistern a few feet away.  Fascinating.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 01:46:26 PM by Joy »
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2004, 01:35:58 PM »

LULU...I agree.  Release all of the SCTV on DVD, both NBC and syndicated stuff.  Funniest satire since South Park

I want John Candy's Peter Pan!

DR Charles Pogue, I just got your HOUND OF THE BASKETBALLS (old Mad Magazine ref) today from Movies Unlimited.  Did you and Ian ever discuss your production of MARAT/SADE?  I worked with him and Sir Ian MacKellan in 2001 on a complete recording of BABES IN TOYLAND, and we talked briefly about his 1976 Henry Higgins, which should be released on CD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2004, 01:39:52 PM »

A HAPPY DANCE FOR TCB!!! HURRAY! HURRAY! AND HURRAY!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D [/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D  :D  :D  :D[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* [/move]

Panni

« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2004, 01:44:07 PM »

Look at that happy face!  I trust you.

Thank you, Larry. I'm actually not a credit - or debit - to my race in that I'm scrupulously honest and trustworthy. (And no, that's not a lie.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2004, 01:44:39 PM »

The score wasn't "lost" the orchestral parts were "lost".  I got the music for the title song directly from the composer and we did the lyrics that were on that music.  Perhaps they revised it later, although I like "the lights of lower Broadway" better.  I didn't really love any of the other songs from the show, which is why I never went back to record them for future volumes.

Last year you wrote:

Yes, it's Sherry! My recording of the title tune is on the first Unsung Musicals, performed by Christine Baranski and Jonathan Freeman. The show was written by Laurance Rosenthal (music) and wait for it, James Lipton (yes, James Lipton, he of the Actor's Studio), book and lyrics. I tried to do a full recording of it years ago but the works got mucked up by another record producer. He eventually recorded it but I don't know that the vocals were ever finished (the tracks were done overseas) and it's been sitting on a shelf for three years or more now. However, that is that producer's m.o. - his Breakfast at Tiffany's and Mata Hari sat on a shelf for close to five years. As compared to my recording of Drat! The Cat! which came out six weeks after it was recorded. It can be done, you know.

Posted by bk @ 10/13/2003 01:58 PM PST

Why would you want to do a full cast recording if you didn't like the other songs very much?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 01:53:16 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2004, 01:47:24 PM »

More time spent at HHW.com and I WOULD be better for it. Alas, not as much as usual.  Anyhow, question for BK... I'm reading Kritzer Time and I had a question about your relationship with your brother.  I can tell by the books that your childhood relationship wasn't great, but has time and adult-maturing aided in a better relationship as adults?  

Congrats TCB :)

Woody - LOVED the American "YODEL" remark earlier.  

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2004, 01:48:30 PM »

Tarantino is guest judging on AI tonight?  Geeze, Kill Bill #2 must be a Fox film or an advertiser.  I hate this kind of  transparent cross-promotional crap.  I like a lot of Tarantino's movies but what does he know about singing pop idols?

I don't think it's cross-promotion.  I think he's just a huge fan of the show.  And it's MOVIE songs night, which is the tie-in.

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2004, 01:58:05 PM »

Wowee and hurray TCB! I am so happy that things have improved for you my man! Many, many happy days to you!!!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2004, 02:00:54 PM »

Yeah, Tarantino's a huge fan of the show...who just happens to have movie coming out this week...Pardon me, if I'm cynical....

elmore, Ian Richardson and I did not discuss MARAT/SADE, though both he and Brian Blessed regaled me with wonderful stories about working with Peter O'Toole on Man of La Mancha.  There was apparently a part of Impossible Dream where O'Toole kept wanting to go down instead of up...He referred to the song as "To pass the impassable turd". And Ian was furious that they had dubbed him in Dulcinea...because he had laboured mightily rehearsing the song.

I believe I had an old college friend, Kevin Dearinger, who was in the original Ian Richardson My Fair Lady.  I'm not sure, but I think he may have eventually gone on to play Freddy in either that production or a touring production.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2004, 02:02:53 PM »

Well, if it's not cross-promotion, it's a heck of a coincidence. KILL BILL VOL 1 came out yesterday on DVD (when the show was supposed to air live) and his new film premieres this Friday. What do you want to bet it's referenced tonight more than once?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2004, 02:11:45 PM »

TCB: Hoo and ray.

RLP: Even thought I didn't think the rest of the score was very good, I'd planned to do it as a limited edition (like the VS club) and I knew it would sell.  Sometimes commerce comes into play as well as art.

My brother and I are fine now, and he's really liked the Kritzer books and thought I was being more than fair to him.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2004, 02:13:05 PM »

Tarantino is guest judging on AI tonight?  Geeze, Kill Bill #2 must be a Fox film or an advertiser.  I hate this kind of  transparent cross-promotional crap.  I like a lot of Tarantino's movies but what does he know about singing pop idols?

Out of curiosity DR CP why do you dislike the cross-promotion. I would think it would be a very good idea to do that sort of thing when you have a movie or book or play or something coming out, and of course it has been going on forever.

Now, I am not a fan of Tarantino (other then he was able to get the Trio channel to show the June Kenney movie THE CAT BURGLAR a while back, which is a movie I have wanted to see for many, many years). I also have no plans of seeing Kill Bill #1 or #2 and I don't even watch AI. I am just curious as to your full thoughts on the cross promotion.

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2004, 02:13:17 PM »

Re: tarantino

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that they wouldn't mention his Kill Bill movies.  I just meant that I didn't necessarily believe that he was only on because FOX had something to do with the movie he made.

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2004, 02:15:45 PM »

Interesting article about Vanessa Olivarez (from last year's American Idol) who is now starring in Toronto's Hairspray.

http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040405/HAIRSPRAY05//?query=vanessa+olivarez

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2004, 02:18:11 PM »

A little bird told me the song line-up for AMERICAN IDOL tonight. (Not necessarily sung in the order listed):

George - "Against All Odds"

Diana - "My Heart Will Go On"

Jon Peter -"Jailhouse Rock"

Jasmine - "When I Fall in Love"

La Toya - "Somewhere" from WEST SIDE STORY

Fantasia - "Summertime" from PORGY & BESS

John Stevens - "As Time Goes By"

Jennifer - "I Have Nothing"

Robin

« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2004, 02:19:04 PM »

First off...To DR TCB:

We're all so glad your financial woes are abating.  We're all the better for your presence!

Second off...To DR Joy:

Knock 'em dead at the audition.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2004, 02:21:36 PM »

Thanks MATTH - TCM looks better and better.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2004, 02:21:49 PM »

Oh and did you watch KISS ME DEADLY yet?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Robin

« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2004, 02:22:23 PM »

As to Quentin Tarantino:

I didn't like Resouvoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown.  But I did like Kill Bill, Volume One quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to the second half.  Go figger.  

Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2004, 02:25:03 PM »

I had KISS ME DEADLY all laid out to put in and put my hands on LA STRADA instead. KISS ME tomorrow more than likely.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2004, 02:30:43 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :) :) :) :) :) :) :)[/move]

[size=10]YAY FOR TCB!!![/size]

I just did a happy dance all over the room in your honor!

What wonderful wonderful news!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 02:33:41 PM by Ann »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2004, 02:36:15 PM »

Great news, TCB!!  We are always happy to hear our good vibes work!

Break legs, Joy!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2004, 02:44:52 PM »

Thaks, one and all.

Oh, a question for MattH (sorry, BK), I probably shouldn't complain, because none of the wrinkles show, but what did I do wrong to make my new photo look blurry?  The regular photo looks clear.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2004, 02:50:27 PM »

Why I dislike cross-promotion...Because it's ninety percent what TV has become: someone plugging something else.  Every network even shows endless promos of their own shows.  I remember the days of Jack Paar and early Johnny Carson when people just came on the show and gabbed without any other agenda.  You'd get wits and raconteurs and if anyone had something to promote, it was done with discretion and good taste and not the blatant, in-your-face kind of hucksterism that is inflicted on us now.  TV is has always been about advertising, but between the advertising you actually used to get your money's worth of entertainment instead of endless promotion or self-promotion and five minutes of commercials for every five minutes of show.  Remember when a half hour show only had three one-minute commercials.  And an hour show only had 6 one-minute commercials.  And they weren't blaring, over-produced, assaulting affairs, but low-key and folksy?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2004, 03:02:01 PM »

Excellent news, TCB. And that's excellent news for HHW, too.

Panni

« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2004, 03:10:59 PM »

Good vibes to Joy! Break that leg!

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2004, 03:19:58 PM »

I thought the blurry TCB photo was a result of too much Gin.  Either  the subject or the viewer! Maybe the photo was distorted by all the vibes being sent to Washington.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2004, 03:20:06 PM »

Tarantino is guest judging on AI tonight?  Geeze, Kill Bill #2 must be a Fox film or an advertiser.  I hate this kind of  transparent cross-promotional crap.  I like a lot of Tarantino's movies ....

Hasn't he only made four or maybe five movies?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »

S. Woody...doesn't Good Eats run twice a night...and that is what VCR's are for...You can watch one show  while you tape another.  
There's been a schedule shift over at FoodTV.  Good Eats is now stripped at 7:00 pm nightly, moved from it's 11:30 pm/3:30 am showings.  In the 11:00 pm slot, they're stripping Iron Chef, cause for late-nite indigestion.

The Wednesday prime-time show continues at 9:00 pm, however.  This is the slot where new episodes show up, and tonight is a new one.  They've also started showing a second episode on Wednesdays, at 9:30 pm.

Thus, three episodes tonight: a 7:00 rerun of "Berry from Another Planet" (eggplant), the new ep at 9:00, "Toast Modern," on various kinds of toast, and at 9:30 a rerun of "The Muffin Man", re English and blueberry muffins.

I don't think I'll have to tape tonight, since der Brucer is fighting a cold and has been tucked in bed all day.  He can watch Yodel on the set in his room.

(Yeah, I know, too much information, but I love GE.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2004, 03:22:28 PM »

;D Best of Luck to DR Joy And Congratulations to TCB!!!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up