Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BETTER FOR IT  (Read 47745 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE BETTER FOR IT
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2004, 07:28:52 PM »

Footnote to the previous post: within two years, Wherehouse didn't even carry LPs.  The entire store had been converted to CDs, well, with a section walled off for cassettes, which were also disappearing.

Now, it's hard to even find a Wherehouse store!  I think they had bankruptcy issues.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2004, 07:31:31 PM »

Page Six Dance!
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
;D
:D :D
8) 8) 8)
::) ::) ::) ::)
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2004, 07:33:02 PM »

When I was still in college, two buddies and I went to a small boite on the west side of Amsterdam Avenue in the upper 60s called Rainwaters (or something like that.)  We went to see Miss Cissy Houston.  Toward the end of her set, she introduced her young niece Whitney, who was just getting started in her career.  She sang a couple of numbers and my friends and I were impressed.  Neither I nor my friends are so impressed with the younger Miss Houston any more.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 07:40:11 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Emily

« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2004, 07:38:09 PM »

First CD bought with my own money: Tom Cochrane's album with "Life is a Highway" on it when I must have been about 9 or 10.  It was the first "popular" song I remember liking and getting excited about when I saw the video on tv.  Ah... what an awful, boring song when I look back...

First Cast Recording bought: hmmm... (I used Kazaa for so long!) Oh wait!  The "Songs from Ragtime" quasi-OCR which cut a lot of songs and fits all into one disk.  It took 2 months to get it after ordering it from the Nicholas Hoare Book Depot in Ogilvy's department store.

First Play: again a major hmmm... I remember being taken to Shakespeare in the Park a couple of times when I was reaaaaaaaaaallly young.  If that counts since I understood none of it but liked the idea of being in the park after dark and watching a bunch of crazy people running around with swords and pointy hats.

First Live Musical: Oliver! as performed by the Royal West Academy Drama Club.  Surprisingly not bad if I remember.

First Live Broadway Musical: Ragtime (hence the OCR purchase)

Jenny... the idea of a 7 year old playing Mama Rose is slowly unfolding in my mind.  Keep that tape!!! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2004, 07:40:12 PM »

Blatant vibe request for my final exam in Canadian Public Administration tomorrow morning!!!

I need all the help I can get with this one... it appears to be made up entirely of abbreviated budgetary management terms.  All of which start with the letter "P".  Oy.  

Envibe me please!!!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2004, 07:45:43 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Exam vibes for DREMIILY!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2004, 08:05:10 PM »

I am shocked!  I am appalled!  I am horrified!  For the first time in my life, a teacher just called my mother!  This wasn't my mad chemistry teacher calling to complain about my grades or even my math teacher to say that I don't do my homework!  It was my european history teacher, calling to say that I have a rotten attitude!

Me?!  A rotten attitude?!  :o

I'm incredibly polite to all of my teachers, especially compared to the dreadful hoodlums that they normally deal with.  I am constantly helping teachers grade papers, carrying their supplies, contributing to class discussions, taking class attendance, and, most importantly, I always wish my teachers good morning upon entering their classes and tell them to have a nice day when I leave.  Every monday, I ask if they enjoyed their weekends.  No teenagers do this, especially not in "Valley Queens" (one foot in suburban Valley Stream, one foot in Queens, meaning that half the student body is made up of mean rich kids, and the other half scary gang members).

Today, I made the mistake of mumbling "I didn't deserve this grade" as I exited class after being given a 70 on a paper that I worked very hard on.  Her only comment on the entire paper regarded my sentence structure.  She clearly felt that I comprehended the material, and I don't think that it's appropriate for a history teacher to take off thirty points for simply not enjoying my writing style.  How does she reconcile this with my 95 average in english?

I left her a note after school explaining my frustration and apologizing for expressing it inappropriatly, but she called my mother anyway and told her that I'm disrespectful and rude!

My school is weird.  Three years ago, I was suspended for saying about a teacher "I hate her!  I could just kill her!" after school to a fellow student.  Zero tolerance is really annoying.   ::) (But necesary, I understand...)

Sorry for rambling.  :-\

He appreciates the well wishing, and will get to the chemistry homework the moment he feels better.

That's what I like to hear!  A man with priorities! ;)

Jenny... the idea of a 7 year old playing Mama Rose is slowly unfolding in my mind.  Keep that tape!!! :)

It's truly brilliant.  I have every intention of pulling a Gypsy Rose Lee and telling everyone that it's actually me on that tape, seeing as we are nearly identical.  She sings "Rose's Turn" in a dress almost identical to Rosalind Russel's from the movie, and you should see those six year olds belt out "You Gotta Get A Gimmick" in their hot pink bike shorts!  There's nothing like it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 08:10:48 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2004, 08:06:30 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~Vibes for DREMILY~~[/move]
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2004, 08:23:34 PM »

Well, I didn't feel anyone on AMERICAN IDOL did badly tonight. Some did better than others obviously, but there were no ear gripping, horrendously off pitch, bad songs, and that's the first time this has happened this year. The truly worst singers (Leah, Camile) are gone. Now it's just putting the less great singers out of the competition.

And that means John Stevens, Jasmine, Jon Peter, and Diana. Not one of them disgraced themselves tonight, but none was outstanding either. Diana's phrasing partially ruined "My Heart Will Go On" (plus the fact the songs's been sung to death.) Jon Stevens' voice just isn't distinctive anough and is just too immature to compete with these powerhouses. Jon Peter is cute and bouncy, but I think he's played that card about as long as he can. And Jasmine's weak low notes on her song made a lovely song just OK.

George gets props from me for trying something different. The song was not an inspired choice. Someone chose it last year on the movie show, and it was just as uninspired then.

Did not like Latoya's altering the tune to "Somewhere" as  much as she did. Ruined the lovely simplicity of it. Jennifer also had some low note troubles but finished strongly. Fantasia's "Summertime" stole the show and was by far the evening's best performance.

Of the eight remaining, only Fantasia's line stayed constantly busy throughout the night. I got calls in on everyone else easily.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2004, 08:26:25 PM »

My first CD purchase: the OBC of CAMELOT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2004, 08:31:34 PM »

::Nods positively::

Mm-hm!  I want to see Alice Horton in her prime, and Hope when she was still a chubby ice skater, and I want to see all the various actors who have played Roman!

I am of a like mind about the earlier days of General Hospital, when the soap was primarily about Steve Hardy and Audry and Tom Baldwin and Jessie Brewer (who has to hold the record as being the character most times unjustly accused and tried for murder.)  This was years before Luke and Laura entered the picture.

My first CD was Peter Gabriel's So.  My first cast recording on CD was The Mystery of Edwin Drood.  My first LP, I think, was the Mary Poppins soundtrack.  I never got into 8-tracks, but I bought a lot of cassette recordings.  I still have most of them, but just about anything from Columbia seems to be unplayable.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2004, 08:50:29 PM »

And of course Miss Allison Hayes played Priscilla Longworth.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2004, 08:51:48 PM »

I've fallen behind in the vibes requests--

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]FULL MONTY WOOLEY-BOOLEY VIBES FOR DR JOY![/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
FEEL BETTER VIBES FOR DR DERBRUCER!
[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
EXAM ACE-ING VIBES FOR DR EMILY![/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]VIBES FOR ALL FOR THE HELL OF IT!!![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2004, 08:55:14 PM »

As a computer moron, something interesting has just happened on my eMac:  using Netscape, all the photos of the DRS at the left margin of the post have vanished from my screen.  When I go to Internet Explorer, the photos are there.  What could I have done, or is it Netscape's problem?  I'm sure I'm to blame, so how do I fix it?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2004, 09:04:09 PM »

My school is weird.  Three years ago, I was suspended for saying about a teacher "I hate her!  I could just kill her!" after school to a fellow student.  Zero tolerance is really annoying.   ::) (But necesary, I understand...)
So, zero tolerance means that anything a student is feeling is supposed to be kept bottled up, unexpressed, right?  Put things on the back burner if they're not acceptable, where they will simmer away until there's no more juice left in the pot, and you're lucky if ten years with a brillo pad or a shrink brings it back to usability.  Or maybe the heat under that back burner is just a little higher, and things boil over and you've got oatmeal acting out all over the place.

Ain't metaphors fun?

Michael

« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2004, 09:04:18 PM »

Robin: There are less than a handful of tracks that didn't make various albums.  There's one on the Guy Haines album -Here's that Rainy Day, which I just wasn't happy enough with, both arrangement-wise and vocal-wise - it was replaced with the simple and much more effective You Must Believe in Spring (done in one live take).  There was a track on Paige O'Hara's Jerry Herman album which didn't work (Dancing).  And there was a track on Laurie Beechman's No One is Alone album that I found to jarring and strange to include, a duet with Ken Page.  I think that's about it.  There have been more than a few instances where I just said to folks, here's a song (something that hadn't been planned), let's see what we can do with it, and then we'd just play around and record whatever we came up with - those tracks have always made the albums.

And a Guy Haines track of a song from Busker Alley from the Sherman Bros. Album
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2004, 09:18:31 PM »

On tonight's "American Idol":

George:  You just can't gospelize everything!  He started creaking last week with Elton John and tonight just wasn't his night.

Jennifer:  Sing OUT, Louise, and e-n-u-n-c-i-a-t-e!  I don't care how powerful her voice is, I cannot understand the words.

JPL:  Fun and lots of it.  He has a terrific vocal quality that is made for songs such as "Jailhouse Rock."  Yes, he needs training, but his voice is probably the most distinctive in the competition.

Diana:  Simon has been hateful to her all this time, and finally tells her she's too young to be singing so maturely.  She's 16 and sings like she's in her 20s.  Well, guess what!  So do all the pop stars!  And that's what this show is supposed to be looking for....ISN"T IT?

Fantasia:  For me, "Summertime" is one of those songs that has been sung to death and nothing can interest me in yet another rendition of it.  Thankfully, it was short and inventive.  But not magical for me.  And sitting down while singing it doesn't make it the performance of the night.

John Stevens: Oh, go away.  Please.  

Jasmine:  Quentin Tarantino pegged her perfectly.  She can't win it by singing Natalie Cole/Nat King Cole songs every week.

LaToya:  Yowza!  "Somewhere" works for her!  She's wonderful.  

Everyone was pretty good tonight.  I had the MOST FUN with Jon Peter Lewis -- the dude can move on stage and has the best personality of any of them.

Sadly, John Stevens may hang on another week.  If so, Jasmine or Diana will probably go.

Also...George may find himself in the bottom three for the first time.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 09:19:21 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2004, 09:38:40 PM »

I didn't list the Busker track since I don't feel that album has anything to do with me - it's a travesty of what could have been a fantastic album.

Jenny, you tell that pig of a teacher that she will NEVER EVER be allowed her at haineshisway.com and you tell her that if she EVER does something like that again I will ridicule her mercilessly and publicly for the rest of her born days.

Just finished Kill Bill - I will have much to say about it in tomorrow's notes.

Jed

« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2004, 10:25:37 PM »

Mm-hm!  I want to see Alice Horton in her prime, and Hope when she was still a chubby ice skater, and I want to see all the various actors who have played Roman!

Ahh yes, I remember chubby ice skater Hope.  My mom used to be a devoted viewer in the late 70s through mid 80s, so I grew up on the stuff.  I can only think of 3 Roman's over the years... the "real" Roman, then the current John Black, and the most recent one (who I'll always think of as Chris Kositchek, the same actor's character 20 years ago!).
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2004, 10:27:14 PM »

Where in tarnation is everybody???
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2004, 10:44:02 PM »

Good exam vibes to Emily!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2004, 10:53:35 PM »

Good article in USA Today about the tendency to "borrow" plots in recent films. Worth reading!

www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-04-13-remakes_x.htm

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2004, 11:35:54 PM »

I must say there are way too many Wussburgers out there tonight.  Where in tarnation IS everyone?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2004, 11:40:41 PM »

I have been out most of the day. You know how it is.

Re colorful birds: What can be more beautiful and colorful than, say, a northern shoveler?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2004, 11:42:03 PM »

A southern fried chicken?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2004, 11:42:03 PM »

What bothers me isn't when plots get recycled.  Heck, even Shakespeare did that.

I am bothered when the reviewers don't know where the plots are being lifted from.  In a recent preview of Connie and Carla, every drag film was mentioned save one, Some Like It Hot, which is exactly what C&C is retelling with the genders switched (two girls on the lam, hide out in Hollywood pretending to be two drag queens).

What was embarrasing was that the preview was in Camp Rehoboth, the local gay community newsletter!  They hadn't heard of the Lemmon/Curtis flick?  Sheesh!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2004, 11:42:13 PM »

A yellowheaded blackbird, perhaps?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2004, 11:43:19 PM »

Re colorful birds: see my post above.

;D

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2004, 11:44:49 PM »

Or maybe a northern pintail?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2004, 11:51:34 PM »

What are we, the Audobon Society all of a sudden?  Wussburgers, come out, come out, wherever you are.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up