Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MELON BALLS  (Read 16466 times)

Cillaliz

Re: MELON BALLS
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »

I think the threats against Johnny Weir (the US Figure Skater) because he wore fur are ridiculous.  Can someone explain how death threats against humans helps the cause of not killing animals? 

Perhaps I am the only one who thinks that the threats against Johnny Weir seem a bit convenient.  Mr. Weir loves the spotlight, and perhaps his showing in Spokane made him scramble to put himself back on the front page.

I did consider he is using it for attention. 

Johnny went out of his way to let the press know that the ugly dab of fur on his shoulder was "real fur."  Otherwise, I doubt anyone, including PETA would have noticed it.

Interesting considering complaints regarding the fur on his costumes have been lodged before.  This has nothing to do with the situation, however, overall I don't care for his costumes.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Don't be sorry, TCB, you could be right

Cillaliz

« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »

PAGE 6 Watching the Luge dance!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »

I began my evening with today's work project: HUNGER on Blu-ray. It's a brutal film, but I have to say the Blu-ray transfer is the best color one from Criterion that I've seen. Nothing showy or overly contrasty about it - just a solid, clear, precise image with great detail.

I enjoyed seeing the movie again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »

I think the threats against Johnny Weir (the US Figure Skater) because he wore fur are ridiculous.  Can someone explain how death threats against humans helps the cause of not killing animals? 

Perhaps I am the only one who thinks that the threats against Johnny Weir seem a bit convenient.  Mr. Weir loves the spotlight, and perhaps his showing in Spokane made him scramble to put himself back on the front page.

I did consider he is using it for attention. 

Johnny went out of his way to let the press know that the ugly dab of fur on his shoulder was "real fur."  Otherwise, I doubt anyone, including PETA would have noticed it.

Interesting considering complaints regarding the fur on his costumes have been lodged before.  This has nothing to do with the situation, however, overall I don't care for his costumes.

Sorry, just my opinion.

lol, why are you sorry?  I agreed with you ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »

I checked out the bonus features. They're all in HD. One interview with the director and the trailer were in 1080p. The others were in 1080i.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »

Then I watched THE UNINVITED. It's an OK ghost story, and I'm glad I finally saw it. Not one I'll be keeping for the archives, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2010, 07:13:59 PM »

I noticed on the DVR I still have PSYCH, THE OFFICE, and the next episode of SPARTACUS left to watch. I'll probably watch PSYCH tomorrow while I eat lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2010, 07:15:21 PM »

And tomorrow will bring me to the last of the Criterion Blu-rays for the month: REVANCHE.

Looks like the rest of the week will be given over to their DVD releases for the end of February: MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW, GEORGE BERNARD SHAW ON FILM, and HOWARDS END.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »

I've been reading and proofing, not necessarily in that order.  Don't really feel like watching anything, but I suppose I'll try.  Or I could just finish proofing - I've got another 120 pages to go.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »

Off to watch something with Keith.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »

I'm going to finish up a few things upstairs and then head down to go to bed.

Good night!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2010, 08:08:34 PM »

I just sketched out our proposed driving trip this summer to visit Betsy's parents at their cabin in Northern Wisconsin.  It works out to:

Portland to Spokane
Spokane to Livingston, MT
Livingston to Bismarck
Bismarck to St. Paul
St. Paul to Minocqua

Longest day is 7.5 hours which I think I can handle.  A couple of 5 hour days, which is perfect.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2010, 08:10:55 PM »

How old are the kids?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »

How old are the kids?

11 and 13.  They do fine on these driving trips.  They have their electronic doo-dads to keep them entertained and we always bring books on CD.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2010, 08:27:42 PM »

I hope it's a fun trip!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2010, 08:45:18 PM »

BK, the new set-up at the Hollywood Show sounds awful, it's the mingling and overlap that makes it fun.  Did any the stars complain about the isolation?  How were the dealers?  Doesn't sound like the good old days, and you were right about the line-up...not that good.  Peter Harrington has always been outrageous.  Were the folks from Nigel Williams there?

Cillaliz

« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2010, 09:17:56 PM »

Sounds like a fun trip, JMK

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:54 PM »

Today, my niece and I went to Portland, the main reason was to go to the SweetPea Baking Company, an vegan/organic bakery.  They sell donuts, but only on Saturdays.  My niece wanted to try them (and get some for Valentine's day tomorrow for her and her mom).  I had a raspberry glazed donut and a custard-filled, chocolate glazed donut.  They were very good.  We both also had a vegan grilled cheese sandwich, which we ate there.  They used soy cheese, but my niece said that it's better than what she's been able to get here in town.  It was actually pretty good.  We had absolutely no trouble with traffic and the directions got us to our destinations very easily...no unintended side trips.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »

Afterward, we went to the Lloyd Center mall.  We mainly just went there to walk around, but my niece ended up going ice skating.  I've never gone, and today was not the day to try it out.  There were too, too many kids all around.  My niece said that some kids skated in the wrong direction.  How rude!  While we were there, I bought some CDs at Barnes & Noble.  I now have new copies of the original Broadway cast recordings of A Chorus Line (with the new extended sections), Company (with the Larry Kert bonus track), A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (with Laurie Beechman as the Narrator) and the 2-CD reissue of both the on and off-Broadway recordings of Hair (which was on sale for only $10.99).  Actually, two CDs cost $12.99 and the other three cost only $10.99 each...and no sales tax!  Nice!

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »

When we got back to my sister's house, we ordered calzones from a local pizza place.  I got one with pepperoni and it was very good.  It was so big (and I wasn't quite hungry yet, after the vegan grilled cheese and the breakfast that I got before I even picked up my niece) that I could only eat half.  The rest is now in my fridge, waiting to be my lunch tomorrow. :)

George

« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2010, 09:30:24 PM »

And that was my day.  I just watched the latest episode of "Psych," and nothing else.  I'm very tired from having to get up so early (and not getting to sleep easily, last night), so I will probably go to bed very early tonight.  I don't have to get up at all tomorrow morning, so I'll be able to sleep as long as I want!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2010, 10:22:51 PM »

Pogue, Nigel wasn't there.  I would love to have seen him.  The three West Side Story people had removed their black side curtains - and I'm told there were a lot of complaints, from celebs and dealers. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2010, 10:31:07 PM »

Just finished proofing and reading and boy did I have an interesting reaction to the last twenty-nine pages - reading them, I knew instantly what had bothered Margaret about them.  We thought we'd solved it, but I can see the problem she had so clearly now and can't wait to discuss it with her.  My gut feeling is I'm going to do what my instinct was when she first brought up how she felt - cut the twenty-nine pages down to about five to ten pages and make them part of the book's epilogue.  I think that's going to solve her problem completely and I think it might just be the right thing to do.  As I went through those twenty-nine pages I just got really impatient.  The stories are all good and the kernels of them will remain, but not in the book proper, which just seems to want to end at the place where she began having problems.  In any case, we shall see what we shall see.  One way or another, this twenty-nine pages is getting cut by two-thirds.

George

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook "9 hours ago" and it's funny!

Trust me...you need to do this...it is hilarious...Call the Nestle Hotline at 1-800-295-0051. When asked if you want to continue in English or Spanish, wait quietly for about 10 seconds and I PROMISE you will smile. Keep going and press 4. Then press 7. Don't ruin the surprise for ...others. :) Seriously... makes you want to purchase stock in the company!

After you hear the option to press 4, you can actually press any number from 1-7.  But after you listen to the selected option, it ends the call and you have to start over.  I highly recommend it for a few moments of funny! :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:25:05 PM by George »

George

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2010, 11:38:41 PM »

If you have about forty minutes, total, this is truly incredible.  I thought I would check it out quicly, and then move on; but I was hooked.  If you start with Part 3, I think you will want to see it all.

http://www.airportappraisals.com/

Win Perkins, a real estate appraiser who specializes in airport properties, has posted on his Web site a video he created of Charles Lindbergh's famous and risky takeoff in the Spirit of St. Louis.   According to Perkins, this is unlike any other presentation of the takeoff footage.   Perkins said he "painstakingly assembled news footage from five cameras that filmed Lindbergh's takeoff from Roosevelt Field, Long Island" and "mixed it with enhanced audio from the same newsreel sources."

After you watch the "Takeoff Video (Part #3)", be sure to 'click' on "Contact" on the Left side on the web page to view all of the Videos "Parts #1 thru #4".

My hunch is that after you watch the "Takeoff Video (Part #3)" ... you will want to see the others.

And then, ask yourself: "Would I have had the guts to have done it?"

I haven't watched all four parts, but part #3 is pretty cool! 

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2010, 11:39:32 PM »

I have a hunch the third course is not on my Heart-Healthy diet - but it does have fruit!

der Brucer

I have a hunch that NONE of this is on your heart-healthy diet.

Sure it is - Shrimp and Lamb are ok, there are lots of veggies and the beer is grain based.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2010, 11:41:27 PM »

Good Evening!

So...

I walked into City Bakery earlier this afternoon, and Maury Rubin, the owner and CEO of City Bakery - a.k.a. The Hot Chocolate Wizard - stops me...

"You've been here almost every day, haven't you?"
-Well, I did miss a couple of days last weekend when I was out of town.
"Do you know what flavors you missed?"
-Well, I know that the Banana Peel is coming back. I'm not sure about the others.
"Well, since you're one of the "chosen", just check which flavors you missed, and if there's anything you'd like to try, just ask.  I'll mix it up special for you."

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »

I have a hunch the third course is not on my Heart-Healthy diet - but it does have fruit!

der Brucer

I have a hunch that NONE of this is on your heart-healthy diet.

Sure it is - Shrimp and Lamb are ok, there are lots of veggies and the beer is grain based.

der Brucer

Denial just ain't a river in Egypt.

*Seriously - Be sure to check for any possible drug contraindications with the food and ingredients you'll be eating.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2010, 11:47:56 PM »

And while I was at City Bakery enjoying my Milk Chocolate Hot Chocolate (and their amazing Grilled NY Cheddar on Rye with Pickles and Mustard), my friend, Brendan came in with his roommate, Bryan, so we ended up chatting for a while.  Then a little while later, I noticed that my friends, Fernando and Jennie, came in for some pre-Valentine's Day hot chocolate. So, I had a nice little catch up session with them too.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2010, 11:55:03 PM »

Denial just ain't a river in Egypt.

*Seriously - Be sure to check for any possible drug contraindications with the food and ingredients you'll be eating.

Only potential drug interactions with food are with grapefruit - and than only of you over indulge (more than a quart of juice!)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up