Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LOVELY DAY OFF  (Read 23587 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE LOVELY DAY OFF
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2010, 09:40:21 AM »

I meant to mention this yesterday, but Tuesday night (the night of the men's short program), AMERICAN IDOL beat the Olympics over the course of their shared two hour time block by 5+ million viewers. That was a surprise.

Doesn't surprise me one bit.  This prime-time smorgasboard without defined sections where someone can say, "Oh, we'll tune in later to watch that" is very off-putting.  Since it's all tape-delayed anyway, their attempts to offer up a little bit of everything has viewers tuning in to program blocks that make sense to them...programming on other channels..

It would be like a network giving us 15 minutes of one program, then breaking away for 10 minutes of another program...a lookt at their daytime soaps in a recap...and then back to 10 more minutes of the first program.  Doesn't make sense that way, and neither do the games, each event of which is a complete program, be it trials, semi-finals or finals.   They could be blocked that way and offered to people to watch at specific times of the evening (or day). 

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:25:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »

bk - As for posting at "midnight" - Are you able to "pre-date/time" your Notes? I know most blogging platforms allow you to schedule your posts.  Does SMF have this capability (too)?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2010, 09:42:41 AM »

In the pet peeve phrase dept., (although I wasn't peeved) I used to work with someone who often used the phrase: "and yet but still" very quickly as though it was one word. Of course, we adopted it at our house, along with words like "chimbley' (chimney)  and then sometimes forget that they aren't real words/expressions and use them in front of strangers. A little embarassing...

One of the pairs figure skaters was being interviewed about how well they had skated in their first Olympics.  She was trying to find the words and said "...it was like a dream come to be." 

I like that.:)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »

TOD:

FIVE FINGERS (I wish they'd release that on DVD).

I believe it's available in other regions - I have it.  Wonderful movie.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »

Yes it is Jose, however I would really like to be able to reach over my head one day.  Heck, I would like to be able to reach the butter dish in the frig.  I have to use my head to hold the lid up while my left hand gets the butter & puts it away.  It is amazing how skilled I am now. ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »

Which leads to a question for Ask BK Day...

Do you think a weekly series - such as "Lost" - could work in a two-hour format? -If budgets and scheduled were not an issue, of course.  Do you think there would be enough viewers each week to justify viewing a mini-movie each week over the course of 15-23 weeks?

I actually think that's a really good idea and someone should try it.  A series that's designed to last let's say two seasons, three tops.  Endgame in sight from the beginning so they don't go awry (even the writers/producers of Lost admit they've gone way awry a couple of times and wish they hadn't).  I'd be all for that, presuming it were done well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2010, 09:47:27 AM »

Yes it is Jose, however I would really like to be able to reach over my head one day.  Heck, I would like to be able to reach the butter dish in the frig.  I have to use my head to hold the lid up while my left hand gets the butter & puts it away.  It is amazing how skilled I am now. ;)

Keith really needs to film that and put it up on YouTube. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2010, 09:47:42 AM »

bk - As for posting at "midnight" - Are you able to "pre-date/time" your Notes? I know most blogging platforms allow you to schedule your posts.  Does SMF have this capability (too)?

I can't schedule the notes to post, but I can fix the time and day easily, which is what I do when I'm in NY.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:55 AM »

Keith really needs to film that and put it up on YouTube. ;)
;D  That's ok thank you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  Sky is blue.  I am a good detective and found the photographer, Miss Kathy Amerman.  We're going to chat when she gets back to LA (she's out of town visiting her sister), and I'm going to see if she'll take new photos of me - they'd be my first real professionally done photos in probably twenty-five years - and, as I said in the notes, this gal was the best.  She's since become pretty well known, having photographed lots of celebs.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »

In other news...

I just found that I'll be attending tonight's concert by the New York Philharmonic, as well as tomorrow night's next concert by the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra.  -I guess having a friend who has a sick friend is a good thing sometimes. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2010, 09:55:25 AM »

-Which, of course, means that I'll be spending a lot of time with my DVR on Saturday morning. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2010, 10:06:10 AM »

And back to last night's "Lost" for a second/post...

What about that "Old Spice" commercial?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »

A small plane has crashed into an office building in North Austin (I'm in South Austin.) that houses an IRS office.  They're saying that it could have been an intentional act.

And, I thought that Austin was supposed to be a peaceful city.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2010, 10:09:56 AM »

A small plane has crashed into an office building in North Austin (I'm in South Austin.) that houses an IRS office.  They're saying that it could have been an intentional act.

I was about to ask you about this, DR Druxy... Apparently, the pilot had set his house on fire this morning before heading to the airport... :-\  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »

DR JMK - ~~~~~HEALTH AND HOUSE VIBES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2010, 10:20:40 AM »

I was about to ask you about this, DR Druxy... Apparently, the pilot had set his house on fire this morning before heading to the airport... :-\  ???

That info wasn't mentioned when I read the news earlier :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »

Do any of our movie buff dear readers have the Variety Film Reviews set?  I need one review.  For some reason I though you could access that stuff online, but I can't figure it out or it's not possible.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »

Do any of our movie buff dear readers have the Variety Film Reviews set?  I need one review.  For some reason I though you could access that stuff online, but I can't figure it out or it's not possible.

I have one volume, I doubt it would the right timeframe for you 60's obsessor, you.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »

I'll let y'all guess which volume I have.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »

In today's exciting genealogy news, I have spoken with the nice people at the Jewish cemetery outside of Toronto and they will be taking high res pics of my grandmother and grand-aunt's headstones (they're buried side by side) so that we can decipher the Hebrew.  Then I had a very long telephonic conversation with the Toronto Jewish archive, who will check their extensive cross referenced database and perhaps point me to some living relatives.

JMK

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »

I will simply say that for the most part Variety reviewers loved, loved, loved Miss Frances Farmer, even when her films were hideous.  ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2010, 10:44:40 AM »

And this just turned up... Basically's it a suicide note... :(

Internet note posted by man linked to plane crash
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2010, 11:05:30 AM »

Congrats to DR Matt on his milestone!

Now, that is a milestone!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:18 AM »

And this just turned up... Basically's it a suicide note... :(

Internet note posted by man linked to plane crash

I just read this.  Wow!
You can dream…or you can do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »

I know that DR Danise came back a few weeks ago, but has she been back since?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »

I meant to mention this yesterday, but Tuesday night (the night of the men's short program), AMERICAN IDOL beat the Olympics over the course of their shared two hour time block by 5+ million viewers. That was a surprise.

Doesn't surprise me one bit.  This prime-time smorgasboard without defined sections where someone can say, "Oh, we'll tune in later to watch that" is very off-putting.  Since it's all tape-delayed anyway, their attempts to offer up a little bit of everything has viewers tuning in to program blocks that make sense to them...programming on other channels..

It would be like a network giving us 15 minutes of one program, then breaking away for 10 minutes of another program...a lookt at their daytime soaps in a recap...and then back to 10 more minutes of the first program.  Doesn't make sense that way, and neither do the games, each event of which is a complete program, be it trials, semi-finals or finals.   They could be blocked that way and offered to people to watch at specific times of the evening (or day). 

Do you have a DVR/PVR where you can start recording NBC but then just fastforward through the things that don't interest you.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »

BK, have you been watching any of the Olympics or do they not interest you?

Maybe this sounds odd, but i just can't imagine anyone not being interested.

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »

Btw, that AMERICAN IDOL contest that was supposed to be disqualified (i posted about it the other day) seems to be back on the show. I find this odd since it was widely reported.  Although another guy WAS disqualified.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up