Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A WORLD WITHOUT LAWRENCE WELK  (Read 19929 times)

Jennifer

Re: A WORLD WITHOUT LAWRENCE WELK
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 06:37:20 AM »

Vibes for DR JohnG's friend. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 06:41:33 AM »

DR Jose, re: your comments yesterday about AMERICAN IDOL. I'm curious who are the ones you think are actually good.  There are not too many that i actually care for much.   For some reason even though they praise michael lynche. He still does nothing for me.

I did like casey a lot, although less now. I am so disappointed with andrew garcia. I agree with what kara said last night. He had so much potential. But he peaked in hollywood and has been trying to catch up unsuccessfully.

I sort of like lee dewzye. But i think my favorite voice is alex lambert. He is so inexperienced. And i hope he starts acting more comfortable. But i love the sound of his voice.

As for the girls the only one i love is didi benami. I think crystal bowersox and lilly scott are interesting too.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »

I started to watch Lawrence Welk regularly when he was on locally on Saturday night....I had my favorites of course...Guy & Ralna, Clay Hart, and the girl trio Sandy, Sally, and I forget the other girl's name....and the dancing, although Bobby kind of did what Judy Garland said Ray Bolger did:  "Different music - same goddamned dance."

Mary Lou Metzger.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:03 AM »

Good morning!

Another overcast day today, and we're supposed to have rain mid morning, but it hasn't happened yet. Walk went just fine and yet again I didn't need any kind of jacket as the temps are definitely warming up.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 06:57:18 AM »

I'm not ashamed to admit I watched LAWRENCE WELK every week. Sure, I knew the singers were mostly bland cover artists and the dancing was routine. But it was a reliable place to hear Broadway music even during the rock and roll era. SOmetimes you have to make do with what was available, and since Ed Sullivan didn't have Broadway folks on every week, the WELK show was it.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 06:58:57 AM »

I decided during my walk this morning that I would take the day off (providing nothing came in the mail or UPS). I have a large window of time open to get the remaining discs in my review queue handled, and I'm just going to relax and enjoy the day.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 07:00:59 AM »

Most networks are programming new episodes tonight, but the CW is still in rerun mode so no new SUPERNATURAL this week. That will help me not have to watch GREY'S ANATOMY "live" and I can fast forward through the personal stuff that irritates the crap out of me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 07:09:44 AM »

TOD:  Here's something that has never been explained to me.  Why do you get bonuses for failure?  Bonuses should only be for success.  If you get them whether successful and not, then it's just outrageously stupid salary.  This idea that people should still get their bonuses for failure is absurd; they should be fired.

The bailout was necessary.  The safeguards and checks and balances that have kept getting rolled back since the Clinton administration are more important and need to be reinstated and have real teeth for violation.

The other thing is that all CEOs should take severe pay cuts.  It used to be a CEO made thirty-to-forty times the average worker in his business.  Now they make 300-to-400 times that.  We've outsourced jobs, cuts jobs, etc.  So the profit margin can be larger and the fatcats at the top can make more money in a year than any ten normal people could spend in a lifetime.   I can still remember when I was on the board of the WGA one year when Michael Eisner walked away with more in salary, bonuses, and stock options than the entire Guild received in residuals for entire membership.

Laura

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 07:10:03 AM »

DR Sandra loves Lawrence Welk. I enjoy Arthur Duncan. Not that I see the show very often.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 07:10:31 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Richard and I went on a nice little date last evening - to the library, to Milano's for dinner, to Dorothy Lane Market, to Cook's Wares, and to Graeter's for ice cream.  I'd received a Facebook notice about their new Turtle Sundae flavor, but didn't see it on the menu board.  When I asked about it, the cute young man said, "It's in the back - would you like some?"  So, I had the very first serving at the Springboro location and it was FAB-ulous:

"It's our Caramel ice cream (we cook a mixture of premium brown sugar and fresh cream until carmelized, which infuses the entire batch with an intense caramel flavor), PLUS it has roasted and salted pecans and our famous chocolate chip chunks!"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:21 AM »

I'm heading down now to get cleaned up for my lunch out with friends. I should have time to watch SOUTHLAND while waiting for my lunch ride to arrive.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And now I'm wishing I had had a bowl of Graeter's Turtle Sundae Ice Cream for breakfast instead of a bowl of oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts.  Thank You, DR Ginny. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:26 AM »

Happy Birthday, DaNiece!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:33 AM »

~~~~~GOOD HEALTH VIBES FOR DH GREG'S FATHER~~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 07:40:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: COUNTERMINOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THE HOUSE I LIVE IN

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »

DR elmore - Have you called 311 here in NYC or checked NYC.gov for any advice and/or possible recourse regarding your upstairs neighbor?  Or at least to check what "noises" and "activities" fall under the Noise Ordinance (PDF Summary).
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 07:51:10 AM »

Vibes to the DF-i-L of DR Edi!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »

DR Jose - the Turtle Sundae ice cream was good, but I don't think I'd eat it for breakfast!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »

DR Jose - the Turtle Sundae ice cream was good, but I don't think I'd eat it for breakfast!

To each his own. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »

I hated Lawrence Welk when I was growing up.  It didn't keep up with the times...and there are always BETTER shows on opposite his.

IMO, of course.    :D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2010, 08:15:26 AM »

The "bailout" seemed like a logical move at the time...especially since these major financial institutions were seemingly on the verge of failing and sending us into another depression.

Of course, in hindsight, it's all too clear what a lousy, manipulative scheme it was.  Many gave back the money rather than follow the terms of the bailout agreements.  And some of those posted record profits shortly thereafter.

There's more wrong in our federal government and major financial institutions than can be imagined, I fear.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 08:17:35 AM »

My Happy Birthday greetings go out to Maestro David Newman, one of the Newman Clan who are a dynasty of musicians and film composers in Hollywood.   David is one of the sons of legendary composer Alfred Newman.

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:54 AM »

My senior year at Michigan, I traveled to LA with my parents to attend the Rose Bowl (Stanford 13, Michigan 12  >:() and Lawrence Welk was Grand Marshall for the Tournament of Roses parade.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 08:22:47 AM »

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »

TOD:  Here's something that has never been explained to me.  Why do you get bonuses for failure?  Bonuses should only be for success.  If you get them whether successful and not, then it's just outrageously stupid salary.  This idea that people should still get their bonuses for failure is absurd; they should be fired.

Many of the bonuses at AIG were "retention" bonuses. These were offers in lieu of salary to many of the managers who were most knowledgeable about the tangled web of financial instruments that got them into so much trouble. Their unique knowledge was needed to unwind the packages and clean up the mess. It is a bit like bribing a crook to tell you where he stashed the loot, but is can be a wise investment nonetheless.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2010, 08:43:30 AM »

From MBARNUM's collection of Haiku:

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »

Awwww...

R.I.P. Merlin Olsen
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2010, 08:51:39 AM »

However I dislike Mr Moore's tactics and one-sided "documentary" film making, that I get mad if I agree with him on ANYTHING, so I don't watch his movies.

Ditto. His claptrap of radical propaganda only appeals to those predisposed to accept conspiracy theories - a limited audience. Those of us he would most like to influence ignore him. He is a candidate for the "Effete Propagandist of the Year" award.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:54:21 AM by DERBRUCER »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2010, 09:03:38 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! I have to deide how to handle the situation above me on West 82nd Street and I appreciate your sympathy and advice. I'm having some coffee before I head to Radio City and my barber because I am truly dragging myself around today from lack of sleep.

The good news from the McGlinnventory today is that in the move to new offices, several uncataloged cartons of paper ephemera showed up. In one of the cartons we discovered a complete set of orchestra parts from the Witmark Music Library for Victor Herbert's THE FORTUNE TELLER that I feared had been lost forever, meaning that chances of reconstructing a score were minimal. I had been told that of the only three sewts of parts in existence two were in McGlinn's possession and presumably lost forever, while the third set was in the hands of Adam Aceto, andf the Library of congress was supposedly to make arrangements to become theur final home. That transaction appears to be in limbo, but the discovery of a complete set of orchestra parts makes life a bit easier today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2010, 09:08:34 AM »

Our cleaning person has been in since yesterday, and, as usual after his visits, I don't know where anything is! I don't have time to locate what I need. In fact, I had no plans to show up at Toyland at all today but we finished the McGlinnventory early. Now I'm off to the barber and then the No. 7 bus to my doctor.

I need a nap.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up