Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NACHOS AND THE METAPHYSICAL  (Read 10262 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: NACHOS AND THE METAPHYSICAL
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »

My Aunt Betty's obituary.

http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/obituaries/index.php

Thanks again to all for the lovely thoughts.

Wow, married since 1947...and to the same man! My mom was married that same year, but she managed 3 different marriages since that time.

And I was born that same year.  In a trunk - in the Princess Theater.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:22 AM »

I'd like to die at 93.  but maybe I'll change my mind when I'm 92.

I just don't want to outlive my good health or my money.

:)

I've already outlived those.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 08:49:35 AM »

Have we told this old joke lately:  (I may have missed it if we did)

An elderly couple walks into a lawyers office and announces that they need his assistance in a quick no-fault divorce. He says he would be happy to help, but wonders why they are making this move after nearly 70 years of marriage.

“Well…” the old man explains, “we haven’t gotten along in years.”

“That’s right.” the lady continues, “but we wanted to wait until the children were dead.”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »

Quote from M Barnum
I am watching the 1926 silent film THE MAGICIAN starring Alice Terry and Paul Wegener. It is quite good.

Word of warning for Mr. Barnum:  No matter what age Paul Wegener was in that movie, he is too old for you now!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »

So, there's this site where they do screencaps to compare various dvd and blu-ray releases.  His image capture software is horrible and none of his caps ever actually look like the film.  But at least when he "reviews" a transfer it's quick and to the point because he's not the brightest bulb on the planet.  But he's got this other guy there also "reviewing" - one Leonard Norwitz.  This guy is perhaps the biggest nincompoop I've ever had the displeasure of reading on these sites.  Note to nincompoop: We want to read about the transfer and sound, not your inane thoughts on film.  He pontificates, he cannot put a sentence together, he is just in love with the sound of his own thoughts.  In the following "review" of Red Cliff, he repeatedly calls the film Red Bluff.  I print it here as an example of everything I loathe on these sites:

The Film: 7
So, the question is: Is John Woo's four and a half-hour, two-part original version of Red Bluff unnecessarily long or have sufficient padding that it not only could stand some cutting here and there, but perhaps benefit from it? I can't say I feel I know the film well enough to comment definitively – not after a single viewing of both the original "International" and the American Theatrical cuts. But I have never felt that Woo's ideas about pacing are gospel, though they are his. I feel he is more in love with the beauty of a scene than its place in the overall arc of his movie. His finales seem to have an inertia of their own, almost in defiance of the needs to resolve things of everything up to that moment. I have always felt the lengthy motorboat chase at the end of Face/Off to be destructive of the tension. Excitement should not devolve into exhaustion, but Woo worries the question more than most.

Cutting internally is another matter. Subplots, fleshing out of characters, extended metaphors for this or that relationship – these have special cumulative power in a film, as does the intercutting between scenes. If you pare away at scenes A & B, and cut between them, as he does with Cao Cao's invasion of the village where Liu Bei's wife and child are trying to escape, the effect on the audience will have to be different. In the truncated version, for example, wife and child aborted escape are abbreviated to a few gasps; we don't even see how she dies. And we are proportionally cheated out of General Zhao Yun's heroic attempts to rescue both wife and child, just as his sudden appearance on the battlefield wreaks havoc with our sense of time and space. There are risks and dangers with cutting. Enough said.

While the case of the old truncated American cut of Seven Samurai immediately comes to mind, my impression (for now) is that it had a better chance of making sense and standing on its own. While Red Bluff is no Seven Samurai, what hopes it has of offering a completely satisfying dramatic experience is trashed by such evisceration that would make even RKO blush. You think The Magnificent Ambersons had it rough! Whatever we feel about Red Bluff in its American version, it is clear that the International Version takes time to reflect and develop stories within stories and relationships that enhance our sympathy for what is at stake for both sides of the war.

One more thing: The home theatre experience is different from the Cineplex experience in a way that doesn't get much play in these columns: At home, we can stop and start a movie as we do reading a novel. A five-hour movie isn't likely to be watched in five hours of real time, and it might not even be seen over only two uninterrupted sittings. Even Wagner's Ring cycle is performed over four nights, and each act is separated by a substantial intermission. We can watch the movie again and again, replaying scenes - as encores or for clarification - in the middle of things. We might even openly engage in discussion with others in the room – something we are expected not to do in the theater on pain of raspberries. So, even though I make noises about tension and arc and all, I know that everyone's actual mileage is likely to be different, as it will be every time we see it.

The story pf Red Cliff (named for the fortress held by Yu Zhou) takes place in the early part of the third century and centers around a legendary battle that would bring about the end of the Han Dynasty (and eventually spawn Luo Guanzhong's classic 14th century novel "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.") Power hungry Prime Minster (now "General") Cao Cao (Zhang Feng Yi) has convinced the young and easily intimidated emperor that two southern warlords, Liu Bei (Yu Yong) and Sun Quan (Chang Chen) represent potential insurgencies and a threat to the throne. To add some spice to the hunt, Cao Cao also has designs on the beautiful Xiao Qiao (Lin Chi Ling), the wife of Viceroy Zhou Yu (Tony Leung Chui Wai.) Kong Ming (aka: Zhuge Liang, played by Takeshi Kaneshiro), the brilliant military strategist to Liu Bei, attempts to unite the southern forces with those of Zhou Yu in a defense against Cao Cao, who armies and navy greatly outnumbers the combined armies of the south.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »

I already outlived my good looks!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 09:33:11 AM »

Have we told this old joke lately:  (I may have missed it if we did)

An elderly couple walks into a lawyers office and announces that they need his assistance in a quick no-fault divorce. He says he would be happy to help, but wonders why they are making this move after nearly 70 years of marriage.

“Well…” the old man explains, “we haven’t gotten along in years.”

“That’s right.” the lady continues, “but we wanted to wait until the children were dead.”

Elaine Stritch told basically the same joke on FOLLIES IN CONCERT video.

But I still laughed. ;D
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »

Continuing to watch Mission Impossible
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »

I shall shortly be on my way to a book signing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 10:29:01 AM »

Larry, did I miss something?  is your upstairs neighbor intentionally trying to get your goat now, or is this just the usual?

The usual. Nearly every goddamned night since January 1, 2010.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 11:13:38 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! Traffic in the City is a mess today due to some event, so I took the subway.

While I am here, I will work on the BABES IN TOYLAND Main Report and pick up a few things to work on at home tomorrow while the super is painting my bathroom ceiling. On my way back uptown, I'll stop at 59th Street, walk to the Lincoln Square Cinema and pick up the tickets for THE HURT LOCKER.

I'm listening to the Doris Day-Robert Goulet recording of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN and wondering why Doris is singing laundered lyrics to "Doin' What Comers Natur'lly." Grandpa Bill has become Grandpa Dick who died at 93, as opposed to Grandpa Bill who at 93 is doing what comes naturally. There's not a single lyric in this song I recognize.
I stopped buying "Annie Get Your Gun" recordings at number eight and drew the line at this one. OK, I lie; if I ever see it for $3.98 at a used CD shop, I'll buy it, too. But not full price. At least I hope not. Maybe if I ever get another job, one with a decent wage ...
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »

Matt H, I love FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, both the movie & the novel.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 11:28:44 AM »

From Cilla:
It looks like he's trying to bite the head off a lamb!!!

LOL-guess that is why Keith titled the photo "love bite"  It is a long monkey I found at the pet store.  Sherlock fell in love with it and carried all the way across the street to the car & it is still one of his favorite toys.  It has a squeaky in each of the front paws & in the middle a quacker.  It is funny that it quacks like a duck.  I was looking for something just that shape and was pleased to find it.  I knew it was what Sherlock wanted :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »

I feel EXACTLY the same way, Druxy!

JMK

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »

Larry, did I miss something?  is your upstairs neighbor intentionally trying to get your goat now, or is this just the usual?

The usual. Nearly every goddamned night since January 1, 2010.

He's working his way through the Manhattan phone directory.  Good news:  he's almost 1/8 of the way through the A's.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »

So, there's this site where they do screencaps to compare various dvd and blu-ray releases.  His image capture software is horrible and none of his caps ever actually look like the film.  But at least when he "reviews" a transfer it's quick and to the point because he's not the brightest bulb on the planet.  But he's got this other guy there also "reviewing" - one Leonard Norwitz.  This guy is perhaps the biggest nincompoop I've ever had the displeasure of reading on these sites.  Note to nincompoop: We want to read about the transfer and sound, not your inane thoughts on film.  He pontificates, he cannot put a sentence together, he is just in love with the sound of his own thoughts.  In the following "review" of Red Cliff, he repeatedly calls the film Red Bluff.  I print it here as an example of everything I loathe on these sites:

The Film: 7
So, the question is: Is John Woo's four and a half-hour, two-part original version of Red Bluff unnecessarily long or have sufficient padding that it not only could stand some cutting here and there, but perhaps benefit from it? I can't say I feel I know the film well enough to comment definitively – not after a single viewing of both the original "International" and the American Theatrical cuts. But I have never felt that Woo's ideas about pacing are gospel, though they are his. I feel he is more in love with the beauty of a scene than its place in the overall arc of his movie. His finales seem to have an inertia of their own, almost in defiance of the needs to resolve things of everything up to that moment. I have always felt the lengthy motorboat chase at the end of Face/Off to be destructive of the tension. Excitement should not devolve into exhaustion, but Woo worries the question more than most.

Cutting internally is another matter. Subplots, fleshing out of characters, extended metaphors for this or that relationship – these have special cumulative power in a film, as does the intercutting between scenes. If you pare away at scenes A & B, and cut between them, as he does with Cao Cao's invasion of the village where Liu Bei's wife and child are trying to escape, the effect on the audience will have to be different. In the truncated version, for example, wife and child aborted escape are abbreviated to a few gasps; we don't even see how she dies. And we are proportionally cheated out of General Zhao Yun's heroic attempts to rescue both wife and child, just as his sudden appearance on the battlefield wreaks havoc with our sense of time and space. There are risks and dangers with cutting. Enough said.

While the case of the old truncated American cut of Seven Samurai immediately comes to mind, my impression (for now) is that it had a better chance of making sense and standing on its own. While Red Bluff is no Seven Samurai, what hopes it has of offering a completely satisfying dramatic experience is trashed by such evisceration that would make even RKO blush. You think The Magnificent Ambersons had it rough! Whatever we feel about Red Bluff in its American version, it is clear that the International Version takes time to reflect and develop stories within stories and relationships that enhance our sympathy for what is at stake for both sides of the war.

One more thing: The home theatre experience is different from the Cineplex experience in a way that doesn't get much play in these columns: At home, we can stop and start a movie as we do reading a novel. A five-hour movie isn't likely to be watched in five hours of real time, and it might not even be seen over only two uninterrupted sittings. Even Wagner's Ring cycle is performed over four nights, and each act is separated by a substantial intermission. We can watch the movie again and again, replaying scenes - as encores or for clarification - in the middle of things. We might even openly engage in discussion with others in the room – something we are expected not to do in the theater on pain of raspberries. So, even though I make noises about tension and arc and all, I know that everyone's actual mileage is likely to be different, as it will be every time we see it.

The story pf Red Cliff (named for the fortress held by Yu Zhou) takes place in the early part of the third century and centers around a legendary battle that would bring about the end of the Han Dynasty (and eventually spawn Luo Guanzhong's classic 14th century novel "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.") Power hungry Prime Minster (now "General") Cao Cao (Zhang Feng Yi) has convinced the young and easily intimidated emperor that two southern warlords, Liu Bei (Yu Yong) and Sun Quan (Chang Chen) represent potential insurgencies and a threat to the throne. To add some spice to the hunt, Cao Cao also has designs on the beautiful Xiao Qiao (Lin Chi Ling), the wife of Viceroy Zhou Yu (Tony Leung Chui Wai.) Kong Ming (aka: Zhuge Liang, played by Takeshi Kaneshiro), the brilliant military strategist to Liu Bei, attempts to unite the southern forces with those of Zhou Yu in a defense against Cao Cao, who armies and navy greatly outnumbers the combined armies of the south.

As I've mentioned (repeatedly), if you moved on to *reputable* sites like Blu-ray.com or HTF  ;D, you'd be treated to much more incisive, better written reviews.  Blu-ray offers screencaps (I don't think HTF does, at least not when I was reviewing there), which we take via a proprietary hardware/software system.  I also highly recommend my former colleague Adam Tyner's reviews at DVD Talk.  Adam also rips images off his Blu's for his reviews and his writing is among the most polished on any site.

JMK

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »

I will say that I find the reviewers on Blu-ray.com generally the best all around review writers I've encountered, especially Ken Brown, who repeatedly does incredibly detailed and well reasoned work.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »

Well, the rain started right on cue, and it's been off and on since mid-afternoon. I have a feeling I'll be mowing the grass next weekend.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »

Greetings from Toyland! Traffic in the City is a mess today due to some event, so I took the subway.

While I am here, I will work on the BABES IN TOYLAND Main Report and pick up a few things to work on at home tomorrow while the super is painting my bathroom ceiling. On my way back uptown, I'll stop at 59th Street, walk to the Lincoln Square Cinema and pick up the tickets for THE HURT LOCKER.

I'm listening to the Doris Day-Robert Goulet recording of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN and wondering why Doris is singing laundered lyrics to "Doin' What Comers Natur'lly." Grandpa Bill has become Grandpa Dick who died at 93, as opposed to Grandpa Bill who at 93 is doing what comes naturally. There's not a single lyric in this song I recognize.
I stopped buying "Annie Get Your Gun" recordings at number eight and drew the line at this one. OK, I lie; if I ever see it for $3.98 at a used CD shop, I'll buy it, too. But not full price. At least I hope not. Maybe if I ever get another job, one with a decent wage ...

The two stars are perfect casting for the two roles, and it's a shame they are mired in a rather hapless audio production of the show. (I do love Day's version of "Moonshine Lullaby.") I would LOVE to have seen Robert Goulet in his prime on stage as Frank Butler. I don't think he ever did it, but he should have.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 01:12:45 PM »

Matt H, I love FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, both the movie & the novel.

I started something else, but I may put this in when I finish what I started.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched last night's CASTLE rerun. They plucked this one from early in the first season. Good episode about the murdered nanny.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 01:17:59 PM »

Then I watched FINIAN'S RAINBOW. Looked just fine except when they took out the soft focus filters for Petula Clark, but what's weird is that they only used them sporadically, not consistently throughout.

I love Don Francks in the film. His voice has that dusky quality that I find very sexy and very appealing, and I still think his and Petula's version of "Old Devil Moon" is the best. Too bad he's wearing a very obvious wig that is too flat for his face.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »

When I finished that, I put in LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME. Yes, for the millionth time, but it never pales in entertainment value. I've always loved the movie, and I wish it were one being considered for Blu-ray release. Looks very nice upconverted, but high def would make some of those numbers really pop.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2010, 01:28:11 PM »

Back from the book show - the usual nothing for me - although someone came up to me with a copy of Writer's Block to sign, so that was fun.  I saw some friends and had a good time, though.  Now I'm home for just about fifteen minutes and then I'll be on my way to the recording session.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »

When I finished that, I put in LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME. Yes, for the millionth time, but it never pales in entertainment value. I've always loved the movie, and I wish it were one being considered for Blu-ray release. Looks very nice upconverted, but high def would make some of those numbers really pop.

A few years ago, there was talk about remaking LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME w/Al Pacino in the Cagney role.

Thankfully, it never happened.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »

Now, I don't know if anyone has noticed but we are still on page two and nowhere near page three.  This, of course, does not make me happy and it's best to have a happy BK in these matters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »

So, if I were certain errant and truant people I would get off my lazy ASSES and get some postin' goin' on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »

Man, what is with this board right now - just took forty seconds to get each of those two posts through.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »

I am thinking
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »

that it's time
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up