Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM  (Read 14741 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:11:33 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were early and had worms, and now it it time for you to post until the early cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »

And the word of the day is: ESEMPLASTIC!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:33:20 AM »

First post. Huzzah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:34:05 AM »

Saturday is a work day.

And I will probably spend this evening loading software onto the VAIO just to see how well it does....if it knows what's good for it, it will behave and work properly!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:36:10 AM »

TOD:

I like most different kinds of art, although I can't say I have seen lots of ART in person.....just reproductions and the like.

I did see a small Leonardo da Vinci and the National Gallery in Washington D.C. along with many Monet paintings which were beautiful....

I shall await some other DR's choices.

Of course the Seurat painting that inspired SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH (not DR) GEORGE is a favorite as well.

Laura

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 05:34:14 AM »

TOD: I enjoy art the most when DR Kerry is with me. He helps me to look at it and notice things.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the big art museum in NYC when my sister and I went there on a rainy day.

Sometimes I think "art" is really just decorations -- like when they put the giant broken dishes on the freeway walls.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 05:35:49 AM »

And now, I must get ready to go hiking.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 05:39:54 AM »

tod

Leonardo Creo is one of my favorites. I even own one
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:46:56 AM »

BK, I definitely don't think that you should stop talking about the staged reading.  And it's interesting hearing about the long musical. Although i do understand others points about the negativity sometimes re: the latter. But it's still interesting.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 05:52:39 AM »

Re: the women's short program figure skating at the World Championships

DR MattH i'm glad i didn't see your post last night before i watched (i guess we're opposite on this, cause i hate knowing the resuls before i watch). But OMG. I never in a million years would have believed what happened  yesterday. And i cannot understand it.  I'll be curious if someone can explain it (was there something wrong with her skate?).  It's interesting to me because for the most part when you watch ice dancing the leaders can be so much more confident and daring. Because they don't have to worry about the jumps. But for pairs/and individual skating much of it is about will they or won't they fall.  But for some reason with Yu-na kim you never had to really worry because she was so amazing. What i saw last night was just incredible. Her first jump was very good. But then ... she couldn't even do her footwork properly. I truly was stunned. I don't really see how she could win now. Although that said her long program is probably much more difficult than most of the others. So if she skates it perfectly i wonder if she could gain the points. I think the finals are on here this afternoon. So i will definitely check it out tonight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 05:58:35 AM »

I do own a nice Helen Frankenthaler print which is nice.

And now to work.

Oh well.

Laura

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 06:23:15 AM »

TOD: I own a real Hughes piece that hangs in my living room.
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 07:06:50 AM »

I have a fondness for Turner and have seen his work in the National Gallery in London.  I love Fantasy artist, Frank Frazetta, and have seen some of his original sketches and a King Kong painting of his that hung in Stan Winston's studio.

BK, is Kansas City B-B-Que as good as Dr. Holy-Wogly's?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »

Good morning, all! I have a rehearsal at 1, so until then I have two projects. One is to finish moving the books around that I started last night and the other is the continuation of the Montgomery & Stone edits. David Montgomery & Fred Stone are the first musical comedy team I can think of; they were vaudeville performers in the 1890s who reached a modicum of fame before Julian Mitchell cast them as the Tin Man andScarecrow in his 1902 production of THE WIZARD OF OZ, which made them huge stars. they stayed with the show for three years and then had a huge success with Victor Herbert's THE RED MILL, which was produced by Charles Dillingham, who became their manager. Dillingham produced THE OLD TOWN for them, a rather poor, but enormous, show that Montgomery & Stone carried pretty much by themselves. Their next show was THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER in 1912, which co-starred them with Elsie Janis, and in which they played two characters modeled very closely on the OZ characters: Montgomery & Stone played a pumpkin and a scarecrow that Cinderella's wishes have brought to life; at the end of the musical, the Fairy Godmother turns them into human beings, In Act Two the team had a medley to reprise some of their hits and the medley, which I'm currently editing, has songs from THE RED MILL, a couple of things I cannot find in OZ or THE OLD TOWN, and two currently popular songs of 1912: "Everybody's Doing It" and "Oh, You Beautiful Doll."

David Montgomery died in 1917, during the post-Broadway tour of their successful CHIN-CHIN, based on the story of Aladdin. He never married although gossip columns at one point had announced his engagement to Anna Fitzhugh; I've always thought he might have been gay. Fred Stone married Allene Crater, one of the replacement OZ actresses as madwoman Cynthia Cynch, and they had several daughters: Dorothy became a star playing opposite her father in THE STEPPING STONES and her final Broadwat show was, I believe, replacing Claire Luce in THE GAY DIVORCE; Paula Stone and her husband became Broadway producers, producing successful revivals of THE RED MILL and SWEETHEARTS, both by Victor Herbert, in the 1940s. Fred Stone, after deciding he was too old to do athletic comedy, ended up doing character roles on Broadway and in Hollywood. I've only seen him as Katharine Hepburn's father in ALICE ADAMS.

This afternoon I have a rehearsal with two singers to hear several Herbert songs they will record in late 2010. I may watch THE SEAGULL on the Chekhov BBC set tonight. I wish the film with Vanessa Redgrave and David Warner were on DVD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 07:26:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: ESEMPLASTIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  PUTTING IT TOGETHER

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 07:30:42 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And the tea is steeping and the laundry is a-drying.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 07:34:53 AM »

My laundry is done.

By the way, good morning all.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 07:35:49 AM »

I'm not really an "art" person.

About the only artist I really like is Al Hirschfeld, and I've discussed him here before.

But, this subject has reminded me of a very funny story that I'd forgotten, which I'm going to add to my book of Hollywood memoirs before I send the final version into the publisher.

Thanks, BK.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 07:37:37 AM »

I've got 2 more episodes (including the 2-part finale) of the final season of MONK to watch...and then it's over.

Makes me kind of sad.  It's such a great show.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 07:40:19 AM »

I didn't do laundry last night. We had other commitments. I did it this morning. I went out in the 20-something degree weather and walked to the corner and deposited my quarters. I got a cup of coffee from 7-11 and read the paper while the laundry laundered. I put the laundry in the dryer and came home to my husband checking e-mail on the computer.

I went back and folded the laundry, brought it home and put it away. My husband put away his laundry.

Now he's transferring a 1955 Mae West LP to computer so he can burn it to CD and I'm in the other room giving you excerpts from our exciting life.

We will be uptown this afternoon/evening. I am setting up a technically challenged friend with high speed internet. She uses dial-up right now but her building is wired for high speed and wi-fi. She didn't know this until Anthony took the laptop over a few weeks ago and he logged. She had been thinking of getting Time Warner or Verizon high speed but since her building is wired (it's part of her maintenance, she checked with management) all she needs is a USB Wireless card which I will install.

And that, dear friends, is an overview of our day.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 07:41:33 AM »

Good morning!

It was very chilly this morning on my walk (33) though I enjoyed it, and my legs were not as exhausted as they felt two days ago at the end of the walk.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 07:41:43 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I'm very much a Francophile when it comes to Art - at least paintings: Seurat, Degas, Caillebotte, Monet, Manet, etc.  I could and have spent hours in the French galleries of the Art Institute of Chicago and the National Gallery in DC.

Otherwise, basically anything that is on view at MoMA;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 07:44:41 AM »

I spent a good two hours this morning working on my federal tax return. I've been debating whether to continue with it today or carry it over until tomorrow morning. It is not as complicated as last year's return but I still have several pages of entries to go. I may cut my evening viewing short tonight and go back to it then. We'll see.

I'll definitely finish up with it this weekend, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »

I am taking the day off work projects today, so nothing to review. TOmorrow I'll work on the DVD of SUMMER HOURS, a 2008 film I haven't seen. It stars Juliette Binoch.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 07:48:37 AM »

Well, Picasso is my favorite artist and I have seen his "Guernica" in NYC, but I enjoy all art really and have seen "The Blue Boy" and "Pinkie" in LA and lots of great paintings and sculpture all over NYC. I'm not enough of a scholar to know much about it, but I know what I like.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 07:49:43 AM »

GRAN TORINO is coming on HBO-HD tonight, so I'll likely record it. It's another film from 2008 I'm just now catching up with. And next week is DUPLICITY which I also didn't get a chance to see when it came out early last year.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 07:50:52 AM »

If SHERLOCK HOLMES doesn't arrive today, I'll probably rent a copy of BROTHERS for tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »

DR Jennifer,

Kim Yu-Na said she felt her left foot vibrating during the skate and that's why she was so distracted. Clearly something was amiss because she was making errors in simple things like entry in a camel spin and her footwork that she seemed to get lost in doing. As I said last night, she was given very generous marks, I thought, with the kinds of basic mistakes she was making.

But certainly she can still win or at least land on the podium if she skates her very best and is helped along by generous judges while others don't do their best. Stranger things have happened.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »

NPR's "Weekend Edition" ran a story on the latest (U.S.) edition of "Hellraisers: The Life and Inebriated Times of Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole, and Oliver Reed" this morning.  It was quite an interesting and entertaining way to wake up.  The audio of the story won't be available until later today, but there's a text version HERE.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 07:56:57 AM »

P->U->S->H->....

*Not by Sapphire.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up