Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AT LAST, MY ARM IS COMPLETE AGAIN!  (Read 65839 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AT LAST, MY ARM IS COMPLETE AGAIN!
« on: April 21, 2004, 12:00:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've eaten the notes, you want more hot pies, and now it's time to post until the meat pies come home.  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 12:01:19 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:AT LAST, MY ARM IS COMPLETE AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 12:06:32 AM »

Somehow, I've been the lad to finish the posts for the last couple of days.  Am I the first for this round of posts, as well?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 12:06:44 AM »

And a very wonderful birthday wish to dear reader Jane's ever-lovin' Keith.  I've known them both since they were knee high to a grasshopper and they are both splendidly splendid.  Hopefully Jane will tell us all about the birthday doings.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 12:11:13 AM »

I had a hunch I would be.

A question for our esteemed BK: How do you think the DVD of Sweeney Todd in Concert (with Mr. Hearn and Ms. LaPone) stacks up in comparison with the Hearn/Lansbury taping of the full (or nearly) production?

Second question: Which Sondheim related DVDs do you consider essential for anyone who loves musical theater?

(I won't ask which ones you think should be ignored completely, because that would be rude.  Someone else can ask that!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 12:11:13 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  Are your arms complete again?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 12:15:02 AM »

A question for our esteemed BK: How do you think the DVD of Sweeney Todd in Concert (with Mr. Hearn and Ms. LaPone) stacks up in comparison with the Hearn/Lansbury taping of the full (or nearly) production?

Second question: Which Sondheim related DVDs do you consider essential for anyone who loves musical theater?

(I won't ask which ones you think should be ignored completely, because that would be rude.  Someone else can ask that!)

I'm on record as not being a fan of the Hearn/LuPone concert version - I found it annoying - I watched it once and that was enough.  As I said in today's notes, the Hearn/Lansbury is the essential version, even with its faults.

I guess I'd have to say Sunday in the Park, even though it's not a favorite of mine - it does have an interesting commentary track.  And Into the Woods is fun.   Not essential (if its ever released) would be the film version of A Little Night Music.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 12:20:25 AM »

Wussburgers, come out and play!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 12:25:21 AM »

What am I, doing a monologue?  Don't make me have an Epiphany.  I am my own frenzy.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 12:28:19 AM »

I'm out and playing, but I am no Wussburger!  I'm about ready to go to bed, though.  I will post more tomorrow, I promise.  :)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 12:29:50 AM »

And both of my arms are complete, thank you

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 12:33:25 AM »

Hmmm...Interesting.

Perhaps I could have asked the question another way, by making a list of Sondheim DVDs and asking which you would recommend.  My fault entirely, not setting the question properly and asking you to work from memory.

I'll be back later with a better list.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 12:38:50 AM »

And I shall answer whatever you wish.

Jed

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 12:45:36 AM »

Question for all DR's...  What does everybody around here drive?

As for myself, I now have a red 1990 Toyota Corolla... Your turn (oh, a Pacific Overtures reference)...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 12:51:47 AM »

All right, then:

Which of the following Sondheim-related productions would you recommend the proverbial lover of musicals have in their video collection?

FILMS:

West Side Story
Gypsy
, starring Rosalind Russell
Gypsy, starring Bette Midler
A Little Night Music
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Dick Tracy
(hey, he won an Oscar for that song!  It counts!)
The Last of Sheila

STAGE PRODUCTIONS PRESERVED ON FILM (OR TAPE):

Sweeney Todd
Sunday in the Park with George
Into the Woods
Passion
Putting It Together

OTHER PERFOMRANCES:

Bernadette Peters in Concert (a.k.a. "Mostly Sondheim")
Original Cast Album: Company
Sweeney Todd in Concert

Go ahead, get catty if you want to!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 12:55:57 AM »

What do I drive?  I don't!  You don't want me driving; it's worse than my singing and dancing put together!

On the other hand, der Brucer drives a Ford Taurus.  He used to like Oldsmobiles, but he's been converted.

Our...uh, his current Taurus has a convenient feature if we ever get a little lost in the parking lot.  He just presses the button on his key chain, and the trunk opens up.  It's kind of like having the car waving at us and saying "Here I am!"

Boy, does that last paragraph make me feel like I'm having a senior moment!

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2004, 01:37:46 AM »

The Sondheim Concert at Carnegie Hall is a must IMHO.
Happy Birthday Keith.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 01:44:11 AM »

Wouldn't be without my "Follies - In Concert" either.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 01:45:45 AM »

The change of 2 hours time difference due to daylight savings has thrown my posting times quite out of sync with my daily routine. This will be a long few months!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 01:46:53 AM »

DR Jed: I drive a Red (they go faster) Misubishi Lancer (1997).
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2004, 04:40:06 AM »

I don't drive at all unless we go to Minnesota where we rent a car at the airport and then we take whatever the car company from whom we are renting gives us. I haven't had a car since August 25th, 1980, the day I left Minnesota and moved to NYC. Although there are times it would be nice to have an automobile, I don't miss it at all. That's not to say if I won the lottery I mightn't buy us a little fuel efficient, perhaps hybrid auto to use in the city. We could park it in some garage and call to pick it up when we need to use it. But that's another fantasy. Anthony has a car on LI but I have no idea what make or style. I do think it's a Ford (his father is a Ford man) but that's all I know from cars.

BK, since you've known DR Jane and DH (that's Dear Husband - happy birthday by the way DH) Keith since their childhoods, I wonder, are they compiled as passing characters in any way in any of the Kritzer books?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2004, 05:23:02 AM »

DR Ben and I gave up vehicles when we moved to New York, and I only drive when I go back to visit family.  I'm occasionally forced to drive elsewhere, but as I've gotten older, I've sadly lost a lot of my sense of adventure:  at 20, if a friend said "let's drive to Alaska," I'd get a map and do it; today, I prefer to  drive in areas that I'm familiar with, a real Wussburger here!

Dear Friend BK, did you and Mr W discuss the subject of my phone call yesterday?  I'm sorry your neck's acting up.  Have it checked; I might have avoided cervical disc surgery in 1999 if I'd kept tabs on the symptoms.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2004, 05:29:16 AM »

I drive a 1986 Toyota Tercel - eighteen years and still going strong.

DR Ben,

When I visited my friend Patty on the upper west side, I told her I was going to take the subway to my aunt's in Riverdale. Patty said she'd drive me. We then took two buses and a subway to get to her garage in Parkchester.

(I should add that we had fun getting there, and enjoyed a great seafood dinner on City Island.)

Ben

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2004, 05:39:54 AM »

Ah, City Island. Great seafood places there! Yes, even if you have a car in the city, getting to it can be an adventure.

DR Elmore, yes, I think as I've aged, my sense of driving adventure has slipped away also. We go back to MN usually once a year to visit family but I haven't lived there for 24 years and when we have to drive to the suburbs to visit family, I always go the way I know, even though there are new highways and perhaps easier ways to get there. I don't know those ways so we just get in the car and drive "the long way". Oh, well, it gives my brothers and sisters a reason to tease me (not that they need a reason).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2004, 05:59:37 AM »

Mornin', All!

BK Question:  Sweeney Todd is one of my very favorite shows, and even though there are a lot of nits to pick at on this taping, I am very happy that it's finally been preserved on DVD.  But ST had been available before on video.  There is a ton of shows that had been broadcast on TV that I would also love to see on DVD, like Applause and the Japanese broadcasts of Pacific Overtures, The Will Rodgers Follies and 42nd Street.  But one of the things we always hear is that any transfers of these kinds of broadcasts would be held up because of the "rights".  I have just a vauge idea about what these rights entail.  Could you give a brief explaination what they are and what the possible snags could be for the shows I've mentioned?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2004, 06:05:02 AM »

Well, here is a thought-provoking question for ASK BK DAY:
With respect to ALL of the lovely dear readers, I have singled out only the TOP TEN POSTER in order to ASK BK:

What song immediately pops into your head when each of these dear readers is named?

JRand
Tomovoz
Matt H.
Jennifer
Panni
Jane
TCB
td
S Woody White
Michael Shayne

It's early in the morning here, so you have lots of time to think of answers,
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2004, 07:04:44 AM »

Wow it's 10:04am here and I'm the only one here.

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2004, 07:09:55 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol

I get picked on a lot for liking John Stevens.  My sis cannot stand him.  And a friend and fellow reality tv addict emails me every week to make fun of me liking him.

But I still like him.  I thought his voice was perfect for "Mandy".  And even though he is young and very inexperienced (and comes across that way), I still find him totally charming.

I don't think he will win.  Nor do I think he should.  But I really don't want him to go this week.

Fantasia: I like her.  But did not like the gospel version of her song.  I wonder what parading her child like that will do for her.

Jennifer: She is getting better and better every week.

George: I like him, but did not like him this week.

LaToya: I used to love her.  She is a good singer.  But I find her very boring.

Diana: I liked her last night.  Usually she's too cutesy for me.

Jasmine: Glad she got rid of the flower. I thought she looked beautiful and sang better than she has in many weeks.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2004, 07:15:24 AM »

Jed, I drive a 1994 White Toyota Tercel. In order of appearence here a list of all the cars that I have owned beginning with my first car purchased in 1982:

1963 Mercury Comet : Tan
1975 AMC Matador: Mint Green
1984 Toyota Tercel: Topaz
1994 Toyota Tercel: White

I haven't had many cars as you can see, and of them all the Comet was my favorite and the one that I most wish I still had! However the Tercel's lasted the longest.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2004, 07:19:40 AM »

MBarnum - You are about to become a Thousandaire! Post Number 27 put you at 999. I'm slowly working my way there with 894 posts.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2004, 07:20:22 AM »

Oh, H*ll, here's the 29th post to push us one closer to Page 2.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up