Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AT LAST, MY ARM IS COMPLETE AGAIN!  (Read 65859 times)

Ben

Re:AT LAST, MY ARM IS COMPLETE AGAIN!
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2004, 07:20:51 AM »

And here we go to Page 2 w/Number 30.

Shuffle, Ball, Change and end w/a Pas de Bouray (sp)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 07:21:31 AM by Ben »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2004, 07:29:30 AM »

TCB glad you are better now.  I was worried about you.

George, congratulations on your new computer.

Echo likes to dance with me or I should say she use to.  Now that she is older it isn’t good for her to stand up for long.

Charles Pogue I’m looking forward to reading your novel.

Jed GOOD VIBES finding a job!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2004, 07:34:03 AM »

Charles Pogue do you use Microsoft Word (or any professional writing software) and do you use the “auto save” feature?  The latter allows you to save documents to the file/directory of your choice as often as every minute.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2004, 07:34:18 AM »

MBarnum - You are about to become a Thousandaire! Post Number 27 put you at 999. I'm slowly working my way there with 894 posts.

Holy cow! I didn't even notice! Well, here I go then!

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2004, 07:44:22 AM »

Here is my BK question for the day (for all HHWers to answer)...what are some recurring dreams that you have or used to have.

Dreams of being chased by the living dead ala NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Sometimes it would be just me trapped in a house of something with the living dead trying to catch and eat me, other times (more often) there were other people with me being chased around. The dreams were always scary but always interesting too. Don't have that dream anymore, however.

Dreams of being in a play and it is opening night and I don't know my lines. Have only just looked at the script that day and have not had any time to even learn them..no rehearsals no nothing. I still have this dream every now and then. Had this dream just the other night but with a twist...everyone in the cast had had only one rehearsal and no one had their lines memorized yet and we were all in a panic!

Dreams of walking but not getting anywhere. My legs are very heavy and I can't get them to move. Usually this dream would have me at school trying to walk down a corridor or something. Don't really have this dream anymore.

Dreams of finding out that I didn't really graduate from High School and discovering to my horror that I must return to high school. This is my least favorite of all dreams and the most horrifying of all. LOL! Don't remember the last time I had this dream, but it probably has been within the last couple of years.

Ok, your turn.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 07:45:24 AM by MBarnum »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2004, 07:47:08 AM »

Tomovoz - They set the clock back two hours down under?

I think the essential Sondheim DVD is "Original Cast - COMPANY".  While it is nice to have completye shows preserved, this is fascinating and a must for all musical theatre fans, not just fans of Sondheim.

That said, I wish that the complete FOLLIES IN CONCERT was included on that DVD... in addition to all the rehearsal footage.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2004, 07:47:48 AM »

And a BIG happy birthday to DRS (Dear Reader's Spouse) Keith!

Jane you should try to get Keith to post once in awhile. He was so funny when he was posting in your absence some time back.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2004, 07:52:29 AM »

Well, here is a thought-provoking question :

What song immediately pops into your head when each of these dear readers is named?

Jennifer - My Girlfriend Who Lives Up In Canada (from Avenue Q)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2004, 07:55:55 AM »

Happy Cakeday Keith!

With my oh-so-dire financial situation I haven't been able to buy any new music since my WICKED purchase in December.  Woe oh woe is me.   Kazaa has also been wiped from my computer because I can never keep track of whether it's illegal here or not (the news changes daily).  I don't want to get tossed in MP3 prison!

So... I have been trying to listen to as many broadway-like radio internet radio stations as I can to pass the time until I finally have $ and can begin spending it like lightening.

One problem: I still can't get the HHW Broadway show to work on my 'puter.  I have the latest version of Real Player but all it does is open up the intro and pauses halfway through (somewhere around Donald's "Welcome") and then absolutely nothing happens no matter HOW long I wait.

I used to love listening to Donald's show so this bugs me to no end.

My Question to BK: What gives? :)

Yesterday I spent an hour at Réno Dépot which is kind of a Quebec Home Depot-like store with my two sisters.  The eldest of them has decided she wants to become "handy" while she is unemployed (her former employer, an internet company, up and ran last month).

I have decided that when I have my own house or apartment I want lots of red paint.  Red rooms are pretty.

I also discovered quite a lot of ugly wallpaper exists out there.   Neon green toile?  Who would ever use THAT?

Toodles all!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2004, 07:58:44 AM »

DR Noel: I love that song!  When I first got the cd I used to play it over and over. It is so very funny!

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2004, 08:02:42 AM »

RE: Dreams

I had a really awful one last night.  And I woke up very upset (although I was glad it was just a dream).  

I was robbed and in the dream, I can remember which things were taken.  Not a nice dream.

The only really recurring one I have is that a certain person is in my dreams a lot.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2004, 08:04:09 AM »

DR Emily: I don't know why, but I'm not that fond of red rooms.  I guess I find it too bright.  Although the only red rooms I've really seen are on Trading Spaces.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2004, 08:11:29 AM »

Boy, take a couple-day vacation to the coast, come back, and what do I find:

1.  Everyone is avatar-less!!  No pics, no graphics.
2.  Go to post to ask about this, and am informed I'm not signed in--even though the little blurb up above says "Welcome, JMK, you have ZERO messages and NEVER WILL" (or something like that  :D ).
3.  Go to sign in, and the mysterious power-that-is boots me back to the index page (Daily Discussions, Technical, etc.).  Once I manage to sign in (always a pain here for some reason), suddenly we're all avatared (and ava-feathered) again.

So my Ask BK question is:

What's goin' on (ooh, a Marvin Gaye reference).

BTW, the coast was beeyootiful--one second torrential rain, the next, 70 degrees and sunny.

Happy Birthday, Keith.  And Jane, thanks for the insurance info, but we had already checked that out--they have "no existing injury" b.s. (ooh--a BK reference!), too, unfortunately.

Along with Jed, my lovely spouse needs employment vibes.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2004, 08:13:23 AM »

You will never, EVER hear me knock the movie version of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC because it gave us the fantastic new version of "The Glamorous Life" which I absolutely adore.

I foolishly loaned my tape of the Lansbury/Hearn SWEENEY TODD to a director I'd worked for and hoped to work for again. This was several years ago, and I never got it back. So, my joy is boundless at finally getting my hands on this on DVD after too long an absence from it. And wouldn't you know in the years since I've been without it, the only SWEENEY TODD that got shown was that lousy concert version.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2004, 08:15:56 AM »

Happy Birthday, Keith. Can't call him DR since I'm not sure he reads here at all but merely lets Jane tell him about the goings-on here. Still, hope he has a great day.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2004, 08:21:53 AM »

I may have mentioned this before, but I was privileged to see ALNM very shortly after it opened on Broadway (only my Uncles' connections got me a ticket--orchestra!! right in the middle, which, being a wee sprig of a lad at the time, I did not fully appreciate).  That night evidently Ms. Johns had had a little nip before the show and was not paying attention as the plexiglas birches slid in from the wings.  Can't remember which song, but Len Cariou, who was downstage at the time, literally leapt over a couch upstage and pulled Glynis downstage mere seconds before she would have been killed (or at least maimed, or perhaps Mamed) by said plexiglas tree.  I had no clue what was happening until some cognoscenti next to me did the "glug-glug" motion and whispered to his partner, "She's drunk again."   Thus was my introduction to the wonderful world of Broadway.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2004, 08:26:51 AM »

All right, then:

Which of the following Sondheim-related productions would you recommend the proverbial lover of musicals have in their video collection?

FILMS:

West Side Story
Gypsy
, starring Rosalind Russell
Gypsy, starring Bette Midler
A Little Night Music
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Dick Tracy
(hey, he won an Oscar for that song!  It counts!)
The Last of Sheila

STAGE PRODUCTIONS PRESERVED ON FILM (OR TAPE):

Sweeney Todd
Sunday in the Park with George
Into the Woods
Passion
Putting It Together

OTHER PERFOMRANCES:

Bernadette Peters in Concert (a.k.a. "Mostly Sondheim")
Original Cast Album: Company
Sweeney Todd in Concert

Go ahead, get catty if you want to!

All right then:  Essential films: West Side Story, Gypsy (Russell, and if you must, Midler, which I don't care for all that much).  Funny Thing is hit and miss, although I enjoy it (it's missing much of its score), Night Music is dreadful, and Sheila is fun but not a musical.  I abhor Dick Tracy.

Stage productions preserved: Sweeney, Sunday and Into the Woods.  Don't care for Passion (especially as preserved on film) or Putting it Together.

The Company documentary is a must-have.

Ben

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2004, 08:26:53 AM »

Emily, re: your Real Player problem. I know you asked BK but since he has often stated that he is not technologically advanced, I thought I might try some suggestions. Are you a PC person or a Mac person. If you're MAC I don't know if I can offer any suggestions. If you're a PC person, have you tried uninstalling Real and then re-installing it? I know that is a real pain in the tuchus (especially since if you don't have Real on a CD you would probably have to download it again and if you don't have a high speed connection that could take a long time) but it might work. Are you comfortable doing a registry cleaning or a regedit? If not just ignore this but if you are, once you uninstall Real BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY (it's actually called exporting) and then go in and remove all registry entries for Real Player. Then download and reinstall Real and see what happens. If you do the regedit and something begins not operating properly you can always import the backed up registry that you kept before you began the clean up. Are you using Real 10? I downloaded it and it screwed up my system so I took it off. If you're using Real 10 that might be part of the problem. Do the other internet stations you listen to use Real Player? I know that AccuRadio needs Windows Media Player but other stations such as the BBC use the codecs and programming from Real Player to make their streaming work. If you listen to any BBC station you're listening using Real Player technology. Try listening to a BBC program. One that I might recommend features show and film music called Showtime - I should also be on this week with a review although I don't know which of the 6 I taped will be played. It's my every other week contribution to musical theatre reviews. - here is the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/radiowales/shows/showtime.shtml?focuswin

See if you can listen to this show or any of the others at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

If you can get through an entire show on the BBC then I'm not sure where your problem comes from. I do experience slow streams w/Donald's show but nothing like you describe. There are times when it takes maybe two or two and a half minutes for the next selection to play, but generally it starts up after a time (I know it's a hardware issue coming from the site that hosts HHW. It was explained many months ago when this problem first cropped up and I don't remember the specifics).

These aren't really definite answers to your problem but I hope they at least point you in a direction where you can either solve it yourself or perhaps one of your technologically superior friends can decipher what's going on.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 08:29:04 AM by Ben »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2004, 08:28:51 AM »

BK, since you've known DR Jane and DH (that's Dear Husband - happy birthday by the way DH) Keith since their childhoods, I wonder, are they compiled as passing characters in any way in any of the Kritzer books?

Keith isn't, but dear reader Jane is.  The character of Jeanne is partially based on Jane.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2004, 08:31:06 AM »

Dear Friend BK, did you and Mr W discuss the subject of my phone call yesterday?  I'm sorry your neck's acting up.  Have it checked; I might have avoided cervical disc surgery in 1999 if I'd kept tabs on the symptoms.

Yes, we did - it was quite humourous and he adores you.

Emily

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2004, 08:34:27 AM »

MBarnum...

I am indeed a PC person and I have Real Player 10.  The program works properly with all other Real Player shows I have listened to and also with the RP blurbettes on amazon.com

I have had this problem ever since I got my computer back in October.  Back then I assumed it was yet another issue with my ongoing drivers woes but once those were fixed it still doesn't work.  And it's only at this site.

Oh well... I guess I'll just have to be Donald-less for a little while more. :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2004, 08:36:34 AM »

Mornin', All!

BK Question:  Sweeney Todd is one of my very favorite shows, and even though there are a lot of nits to pick at on this taping, I am very happy that it's finally been preserved on DVD.  But ST had been available before on video.  There is a ton of shows that had been broadcast on TV that I would also love to see on DVD, like Applause and the Japanese broadcasts of Pacific Overtures, The Will Rodgers Follies and 42nd Street.  But one of the things we always hear is that any transfers of these kinds of broadcasts would be held up because of the "rights".  I have just a vauge idea about what these rights entail.  Could you give a brief explaination what they are and what the possible snags could be for the shows I've mentioned?

The three shows you mention that were taped for Japanese TV, Pacific Overtures, Will Rogers, and 42nd Street, are owned by the Japanese companies.  So, someone would have to purchase the rights - however, the actors and authors only authorized it for Japanese showings and I'm sure there would have to be a negotiation and a payment of some sort to be shown here.  If I'd been the producer, I wouldn't have made the deal unless it included the ability to show it worldwide at some point after the show had closed - I would have included residual provisions in the contract at the time.  Applause: My guess is that the tape is lost - so many of these things were trashed by the networks that did them - from what I understand, none of the ABC Stage 67 shows exist (including Evening Primrose).  If they did have the tape, I believe they'd also have to renegotiate with the authors, but I may be wrong on that - their contract may have given them the rights to show it in perpetuity.  It's different for each show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2004, 08:41:17 AM »

Well, here is a thought-provoking question for ASK BK DAY:
With respect to ALL of the lovely dear readers, I have singled out only the TOP TEN POSTER in order to ASK BK:

What song immediately pops into your head when each of these dear readers is named?

JRand
Tomovoz
Matt H.
Jennifer
Panni
Jane
TCB
td
S Woody White
Michael Shayne

It's early in the morning here, so you have lots of time to think of answers,

Too hard.  But here are the ones that come to mind:

Jrand: Everything Old is New Again
Tomovoz: We're Off to See the Wizard

Have to ruminate on the others.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2004, 08:42:39 AM »

Here is my BK question for the day (for all HHWers to answer)...what are some recurring dreams that you have or used to have.

All my recurring dreams are spread throughout the three Kritzer books.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2004, 08:44:28 AM »

One problem: I still can't get the HHW Broadway show to work on my 'puter.  I have the latest version of Real Player but all it does is open up the intro and pauses halfway through (somewhere around Donald's "Welcome") and then absolutely nothing happens no matter HOW long I wait.

I used to love listening to Donald's show so this bugs me to no end.

My Question to BK: What gives? :)

I'm not sure what the prob is - maybe a dear reader has the answer.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2004, 08:51:31 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DH KEITH!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2004, 08:52:12 AM »

MBarnum...

I am indeed a PC person and I have Real Player 10.  The program works properly with all other Real Player shows I have listened to and also with the RP blurbettes on amazon.com

I have had this problem ever since I got my computer back in October.  Back then I assumed it was yet another issue with my ongoing drivers woes but once those were fixed it still doesn't work.  And it's only at this site.

Oh well... I guess I'll just have to be Donald-less for a little while more. :(

DR Emily, I think you meant to address that to DR Ben.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2004, 08:57:11 AM »

Mornin', All!

BK Question:  Sweeney Todd is one of my very favorite shows, and even though there are a lot of nits to pick at on this taping, I am very happy that it's finally been preserved on DVD.  But ST had been available before on video.  There is a ton of shows that had been broadcast on TV that I would also love to see on DVD, like Applause and the Japanese broadcasts of Pacific Overtures, The Will Rodgers Follies and 42nd Street....

I also remember watching Ain't Misbehavin' and Pump Boys and Dinettes on TV.  I'd practically kill to have those, as well as Pacific Overtures, on DVD!

Happy Birthday to DRBP (Dear Reader By Proxy) Keith! (and thanks Jane!)

The only recurring dream that I can remember having (and I only dreamt it twice) was that I was talking to my mom and I was naked.  She didn't know that I was naked and I knew that she didn't know, but I tried to stand behind a counter of some sort anyway, out of respect...even though I knew that she didn't know.

As for Jed's car question (and congratulations!), I've owned a 1976 orange Volkswagon Super Beetle (got in 1984), a 1989 Subaru Justy (got it in 1990 w/14,100 miles) and (currently) a 1998 Ford Escort...got it new with only 20 miles on it.  It now has 80,100 miles.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2004, 08:59:27 AM »

NY Post: Monkey Do by Michael Riedel:

On the play Prymate:
"Early preview crashers and Internet gossipmongers are buzzing about a sex scene between a gorilla and a young woman - a scene, one of my spies says, that's "going to make Broadway history." "

:)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04212004/entertainment/19179.htm

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2004, 09:03:17 AM »

I would be very surprised if the tape to APPLAUSE is lost. Yes, short-sighted networks did junk much of their early taped stuff (NBC notoriously with early years of Carson's TONIGHT SHOW), but CBS hasn't been nearly as guilty of this as other networks. If I recall correctly , I remember seeing clips of this in one of their retrospective specials a year or so ago. And I know some private collectors who have copies of it. (I don't, BTW.)

Is it not in the archive of the Museum of Television and Radio?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up