Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STRAIGHT HEAD  (Read 59879 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE STRAIGHT HEAD
« on: April 24, 2004, 12:01:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've learned the notes' true and deep meaning, and now it is time to post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 12:02:30 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:THE STRAIGHT HEAD
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 12:16:49 AM »

Ooo, I loves me some cookies!  My all-time favorites are Oatmeal Scotchies... yummilicious oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips.  Also a no-bake cookie known in my family as Grandma Swope cookies (named for the mother of a longtime family friend).  Can't remember the quantities off the top of my head (nor off the bottom of my head, for that matter)... but you bring a mixture of butter, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder to a boil, then quickly stir in some oatmeal and coconut and then hurry to get it spooned out into good cookie-size dollops before it hardens up.  Quite tasty.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 12:22:04 AM »

I clear the cookies from my computer every few weeks - then I have to remember my passwords again!
Cookies? I know that is how the cookie crumbles and I know Kookie didn't like to lend Connie her comb.
Jo-Ann Cambell sang about a Kookie little Paradise.

There is a language barrier here.

In Oz Cookie = biscuit. I think biscuit means something else in North America. Maybe it means Racehorse. Maybe it means Shirley Temple.

(BTW in OZ we would pronounce Kookie and Cookie the same way. I wonder what they do in the North West - with their pronunciation, not with their cookies).

I can cook too. Tonight I shall cook Anzac biscuits. (April 25 is Anzac Day). I guess it is like Memorial day cookies!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 12:28:26 AM »

In the Northwest, both kookie and cookie are pronounced just like marry, merry, and Mary, of course.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 12:51:00 AM »

Thanks for that Jud/Jed/Jid/Jade/Jowd/Jawd/Jood/Joyd/Jeed/Jad/Jod/
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 01:00:29 AM »

I'll post now as I probably won't have time in the morning. Off early to the Festival of Books with the Esteemed Author. Should be fun.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 04:20:08 AM »

Yes what a wonderful pair to encounter at the Book Festival....DRPANNI and MR BK.  Yes, booth 132 will be the most booth in the whole place!

Have fun....remind everyone to "count your change", sell lots of books, and keep your eyes open for (other) celebrities.

Also DRPANNI, you never know, Amelia Earhart may show up, they never found her you know!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 04:22:57 AM »

Good morning, all!  I hope the BIG EVENT in the West of Wood is a triumph, just a veritable triumph.  And more photos this time, please!

Today's topic, cookies; I feel like Pavlav's dog already.  I remember my grandmother's icebox cookies quite fondly from my early childhood.  She called them icebox cookies because the dough was chilled till it hardened and then my grandmother with a butcher knife sliced the dough into long thin slices, baked them, and served a wonderful spicy, chewy, raisin- and nut-filled concoction that put this little kid into nirvana.  The recipe vanished with her death, around 1961, and I wish I had a copy to share with all of you.

My two faves:  oatmeal raisin and peanut butter

Most disliked:  chocolate chip; loathe them, and they seem to be everyone's favorite but mine.  My mother's sister Jean used to bake tollhouse cookies for me and replace the chocolate chips with candied fruit, and I loved those.

My mother made a mean sugar cookie around Christmas, but her two good pastries were doughnuts and pecan pie, topics for another day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Robin

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 04:44:52 AM »

Also DRPANNI, you never know, Amelia Earhart may show up, they never found her you know!

Miss Earhart won't be heard of again until Captain Kathryn Janeway finds her alive and well, though very far from home, sometime in the 24th century.  

My favorite cookies are peanut butter.  Almost every time I decide to whip up a batch of some other kind of cookies, I usually change my mind, and decide to fix peanut butter cookies instead.  Heck, if I'm gonna go through all the trouble, I may as well make my favorites, right?

Once or twice a year, though, I must bake up a batch of Egg Nog cookies.  Dee-lish!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 04:45:50 AM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2004, 04:59:56 AM »

That's right DRROBIN - how could I have forgotten!

Pecan Sandies.

MR BK do you or DRPANNI have a luggage cart?  You might use that to transport your books....otherwise you may have to borrow one from a friendly co-seller.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 05:04:25 AM »

Ms. Earhart is still flying, but on another plane, if The Flight of the Lawnchair Man is to be believed.  She also sounds like a Katherine Hepburn impersonator, but that may just be a flighty affectation of hers.

A simple variation on the Tollhouse recipe is most popular in our house.  I add a couple of tablespoons of molasses to the regular recipe, which deepens the brown sugar flavor and makes them softer, the way der Brucer likes.

Now that I have a decent kitchen table, I'm going to have to try making rolled cookies.

A hint at colored sugar for decoration: If you're feeling cheap (and who doesn't at times) and don't want to spend the money on the colored crystals, cheat!  Put a few spoons of regular granulated sugar in a small dish, and add food coloring, a few drops at a time, stirring with a fork to blend the color into the sugar evenly.  The colored sugar can be stored in plastic zip bags, and lasts indefinately.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 05:31:42 AM »

From  BK's posting today: Do you know that if Alan Cumming and Joanna Going did a show they’d be Cumming and Going?

But how about...........

Is Joanna Going played Alan Cumming in a movie (or play) about his sex life they can announce that "Joanna is Cumming!"
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 05:36:40 AM »

My fav cookies to eat when I am depressed and thankfully it doesn't happen all that often anymore are Chocolate covered Oreo Cookies!!

My late co-worker Laura would bring in the most amazing chocolate brownies to work. I have to say they were the best I ever had and that includes Alice Toklas' recipe.

But there is nothing like Mother's home made and made from scratch chocolate chip cookies.
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 05:39:48 AM »

Hey good luck at the festival!

Okay cookie and kookie are the same.  

Let me just say: OMG!!

Here "cookie" is like "cook" and "kookie" has a "coo" sound like cool.

I like any cookie that isn't packaged.

But my favorites are Mr. Felix & Mr. Norton (like Mrs. Fields).  They are in all the malls and their cookies are so delicious!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 06:46:53 AM »

Thank you so much, DR MBarnum, for that timely bit of GREAT information. It's the first I had heard of any Deanna Durbin DVD plans, and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I knew they'd include her two biggest childhood hits: THREE SMART GIRLS and 100 MEN AND A GIRL, but I'll finally have my hands on IT STARTED WITH EVE, probably her best adult role and one I didn't already have on videotape. And I'm sure CAN'T HELP SINGING (her only color film) and LADY ON A TRAIN will look great on DVD, better than the videotape copies I have. And FIRST LOVE features my favorite song of hers "The Prince" (which is an English reworking of "Nessum Dorma" from TURANDOT.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 06:48:57 AM »

Cookies? I've yet to meet one I didn't like. My favorites are from my childhood: little round tea cookies with a generous dollop of icing in the center. I could eat my weight in those.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2004, 07:17:25 AM »

Am I lucky or what?  I get to drive to the County of Orange today so I can take my Dear Mother shopping for a toilet.  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that too too?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2004, 07:20:18 AM »

Of course, after said shopping expedition, the Dear Mother and I shall have a nice dinner and then go to the opera.  There's something in this scenario akin to "from the ridiculous to the sublime," but I'm not quite sure how to describe it.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2004, 07:26:42 AM »

DR JAY - you will astonished at the selection of water closets now available!

DRMATTH  - I think FIRST LOVE is my favorite of Deanna's movies, with such a great supporting cast and lovely music!  And Deanna is so funny!  I forgot to ask you, did you like KISS ME, DEADLY?  Did you recognize the BABY JANE house at the end?  Ralph Meeker was a great MIke Hammer.  He was Marlon Brando's replacement in the Broadway STREETCAR and also originated the role of Hal on Broadway in PICNIC.  I always thought he should have had a bigger screen career, but he did okay.  And how about that Maxine Cooper?  Real woo-bait, huh?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2004, 07:49:02 AM »

I love Kiss Me Deadly.

I love cookies.

I'm hoping someone named Shirley comes to the booth.

I'm making ready to leave but shall post until I do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2004, 07:49:05 AM »

If Joanna Going played Alan Cumming in a movie (or play) about his sex life ...

I'm there
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2004, 07:51:33 AM »

I get to drive to the County of Orange today so I can take my Dear Mother shopping for a toilet...
Of course, after said shopping expedition, the Dear Mother and I shall have a nice dinner and then go to the opera.  There's something in this scenario akin to "from the ridiculous to the sublime," but I'm not quite sure how to describe it.

I had a professor in college (and Jay and I attended the same one) who defined "bathos" as "from the sublime to the ridiculous."  In your case, however, the term should be "toiletos"

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2004, 07:55:22 AM »

These days, I'm most fond of oatmeal cookies.  I like 'em better than oatmeal.  In my youth, Nabisco made something with a layer of mint ... can anyone recall the name?

And let it not be said I eschew Jewish food.  (Not that that's easy to say.)  I enjoy a good coconut macaroon if it's done right.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2004, 07:58:48 AM »

It's surprisingly hard to find really excellent cookies - I am partial to Mrs. Fields coconut macadamia, but only when they've just come out of the oven (nevo, spelled backwards).

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2004, 08:00:51 AM »

A quick hello. ...Quick hello! Will report any Earhart sightings. She was also an author, after all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2004, 08:03:44 AM »

Don't forget to keep the home fries burning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2004, 08:04:25 AM »

I used to love Nutter Butters in the seventies when the darling daughter was but a wee sprig of a twig of a tad of a girl.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2004, 08:05:19 AM »

And occasionally I would have an obsession with those Mother's animal cookies, you know, the pink and white ones.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2004, 08:09:40 AM »

Yes, Nutter Butters are easily addictive, so I try to stay away from them.

I really enjoyed KISS ME DEADLY because Meeker was such a tough SOB. He took nothin' from no one. Loved it. I thought I commented on it the night I finished it. Maybe not. I see so much nowadays.

Looking at the alternate ending (which I'm to understand was the theatrical release), Mike was supposed to DIE in the movie at the end? How ridiculous if they had any hopes of a series of Mike Hammer films.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2004, 08:11:19 AM »

I agree with you about FIRST LOVE. Robert Stack was a perfect love interest for her, and they made a gorgeous couple.

I think HIS BUTLER'S SISTER is probably my favorite, but there are several, including FIRST LOVE, that I really find terrific entertainment. Universal is becoming my new heroes with these multi-movie sets (Kettles, A&C, now Durbin) at such CHEAP prices.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 08:13:00 AM by Matt H. »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up