Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MUCH ADO ABOUT SOMETHING  (Read 16004 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re: MUCH ADO ABOUT SOMETHING
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 07:09:56 AM »

TOD:  I'll be watching the rest of the extras on FRAZETTA: PAINTING WITH FIRE, a terrific documentary on artist Frank Frazetta who recently passed away.  And I hope to get to MERCHANT OF VENICE with Henry Goodman, directed by Trevor Nunn, the best version of this play I've ever seen.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 07:20:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: AMERCE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I RESOLVE

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 07:23:55 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I can vouch for Monkey's whereabouts on the nuit is question.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 07:34:02 AM »

I jumped off a moving train this morning.

Hopefully it was not an attempt to relive a scene from the musical version of "Anna Karenina." Oh, that was under a train. My bad. (The chorus kept singing "On a train" so often that I wish I could have jumped, too. But I stayed through the end.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:49 AM »

IF YOU'RE STILL CATCHING UP ON "LOST" BEFORE THIS SUNDAY'S FINALE, THERE MAY OR MAY NOT BE SOME SPOILERS IN THE INTRO TO THIS VIDEO CLIP. OTHERWISE... ENJOY!!!

JACOB FROM "LOST" VISITS JIMMY KIMMEL

AGAIN: IF YOU'RE STILL CATCHING UP ON "LOST" BEFORE THIS SUNDAY'S FINALE, THERE MAY OR MAY NOT BE SOME SPOILERS IN THE INTRO TO THIS VIDEO CLIP. OTHERWISE... ENJOY!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »

Yesterday, I was down at Big Lots and I picked up (for $5) this 4-DVD set, THE UNKNOWN COLLECTION.

It has PBS documentaries on Jimmy Durante, Jonathan Winters, the Marx Brothers & Peter Sellers.

I watched the Durante one, and it's terrific; contains many, many clips from his 1950s TV show with guests like Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Donald O'Connor, Sophie Tucker, etc.  If you love Durante, as I do, you will want to see this one. 
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Well...

Do street musicians count?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 08:02:47 AM »

I'm up, I'm shaved, and shortly I'll shower and then be on my way to let Teddy work his magic.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 08:18:22 AM »

Hopefully it was not an attempt to relive a scene from the musical version of "Anna Karenina." Oh, that was under a train. My bad. (The chorus kept singing "On a train" so often that I wish I could have jumped, too. But I stayed through the end.)

I had a friend who was doing a musical version of Dreiser's AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY or, as the film version is known, A PLACE IN THE SUN. The big number? "In A Rowboat with You."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:24 AM »

I had a friend who was doing a musical version of Dreiser's AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY or, as the film version is known, A PLACE IN THE SUN. The big number? "In A Rowboat with You."

OK, only slightly more tasteful than something like, "Die, die, my darling."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 08:30:58 AM »

Nobody has ever accused me of being smart or observant. I just started playing the revival of "House of Flowers," released on Kritzerland. I've seen that logo for 30 years now, ever since I found a used copy on vinyl priced at the then-too princely sum of $50 (even now that seems a little pricey). Anyway, it's the first time I ever realized the penile image in the logo.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »

I gotta tell you.

John G.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 08:33:08 AM »

― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 08:43:43 AM »

The floors are mopped and the laundry in the dryers. In about 10 minutes I will take out the laundry, sort it, head for the NYPL and make a post office stop along the way.

I've been sorting more books for the Miami University Library, and I need a shower and a nap.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:25:46 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 08:50:40 AM »

DR Elmore, what kind of books are you sending to Miami U?
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 08:58:52 AM »

TOD:

As I am reading BK's autobiography, I am watching some of his TV shows. This weekend should be an episode of LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY and another episode of THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »

I shall now be on my way to Teddy, then the lunch meeting, then delivering books, then picking up mail, then home.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2010, 09:16:35 AM »

Some HHWers may be interested in this DVD release...I know I am!

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/6355D.html

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2010, 09:27:19 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Well...

Do street musicians count?

Only up to four...

(Skah-Boom! Bah!)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:30:02 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 09:33:46 AM »

DR Elmore, what kind of books are you sending to Miami U?

I'm cleaning out and paring down my library. The only things not going are music, books on musical theatre, opera, ballet, all composers, some novels, and others. They've received so far over 100 cartons from me of all my librettos and scripts, play collections, books scene and costume design, novels, a lot of books on folklore, a lot of signed editions from Ethan Mordden, Sondheim, and other writers I've known, artists and art, a ton of published sheet music, scores, my contracts, programs and Playbills, correspondence including all Sondheim letters, photos, all my editorial work and other ephemera, choral arrangements, several shows I've done regionally, compact discs, some videos and DVDs. This round, which is now in 16 cartons. includes all the editorial work on the 1903 WIZARD OF OZ and all my materials, invoices and contract for FINIAN's RAINBOW.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:35:31 AM by elmore3003 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2010, 09:35:10 AM »

DR Jane do you still watch the MENTALIST? (no spoilers).  Last night's season finale was really good. I really did not want it to end!

I had quite the opposite reaction.  After a couple of years and much ado (and all the titles of episodes containing either the word "Red" or "Blood" in them), I thought the episode was predictable, Jane's character continued with the over-the-top annoyance factor, and it seemed a bit of a bore.  I was sorely disappointed.   I was rooting for Red John in that final scene in the old hotel.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »

MEdia Check

iPod:  I found a cast recording I never listened to:  THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD

Tivo:  some of the GOLDDIGGERS movies shown on TCM earlier in the week

DVD:  still have yet to watch NINE (I don't seem to have a lot of enthusiasm to put this one on...)

Because I have Jacques Offenbach standing on a high pedestal as one of the great theatre composers, I wsh that I liked THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD more than I do. Harburg chose Offenbach for two reasons: his outrageeous satires of Helen of Troy and the Orpheus and Eurydice legend and the fact that Offenbach as a dead composer was easier to deal with. The Lysistrata plot line doesn't work badly, but I think the tunes are great, a lot of Harburg's lyrics are good. and the original production with all of its undressed men as Olympian gods would have made it DR MBarnum's favorite musical ever.  The performances may have been charming but a lot of the women's singing may have come from Broadway names but it's worse than you'd hear in a 4th-rate production of one of Offenbach's own shows. Best voice: the wonderful Bruce Yarnell.

I actually like it, but I'm wondering if what we hear on the LP is what was performed in the theatre.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 09:36:31 AM »

MEdia Check

iPod:  I found a cast recording I never listened to:  THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD

Tivo:  some of the GOLDDIGGERS movies shown on TCM earlier in the week

DVD:  still have yet to watch NINE (I don't seem to have a lot of enthusiasm to put this one on...)

Because I have Jacques Offenbach standing on a high pedestal as one of the great theatre composers, I wsh that I liked THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD more than I do. Harburg chose Offenbach for two reasons: his outrageeous satires of Helen of Troy and the Orpheus and Eurydice legend and the fact that Offenbach as a dead composer was easier to deal with. The Lysistrata plot line doesn't work badly, but I think the tunes are great, a lot of Harburg's lyrics are good. and the original production with all of its undressed men as Olympian gods would have made it DR MBarnum's favorite musical ever.  The performances may have been charming but a lot of the women's singing may have come from Broadway names but it's worse than you'd hear in a 4th-rate production of one of Offenbach's own shows. Best voice: the wonderful Bruce Yarnell.

I actually like it, but I'm wondering if what we hear on the LP is what was performed in the theatre.

I believe it is. It certainly conforms to the vocal score rented by Tams-Witmark.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »

Thanks for sharing that clip, Jose, from Jimmy Kimmel.  I don't think there was a spoiler in sight, though.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2010, 10:03:18 AM »

MONKEY'S MOUTHPIECE CRIES "IMPOSSIBLE"
'He doesn't even have a passport!" says Simbulon.

Late last night the attorney representing the American simian suspect in the heist earlier this week of almost five millions dollars worth of art work from the Paris Museum of Modern Art said that his client does not even have a passport, nor can he lift anything weighing more than 2 grams.

Among the paintings taken:

;D

Jane

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2010, 10:04:27 AM »

Very funny, Jack!   :D  Most clever!

Yes, even funnier now that I've seen a photo of the suspect.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05:16 AM »

DR Jane do you still watch the MENTALIST? (no spoilers).  Last night's season finale was really good. I really did not want it to end!

Not yet.  We watched CRAZY HEART instead.  We will probably watch it tonight.  Last weeks episode was also good.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »

Safe traveling for DR Ginny!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »

Some HHWers may be interested in this DVD release...I know I am!

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/6355D.html

Netflix doesn't have it yet.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »

From Vixmom:
This just may be the straw that causes Vixdad to change his citizenship!!

;D
They were cuter in the action link you shared.  I don't understand why they only have one eye.  It kind of makes them creepy.

LOL derBrucer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up