Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SPARKLE AND FIZZ  (Read 71298 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:SPARKLE AND FIZZ
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2004, 06:05:33 PM »

DR Jay, what was your opera du jour yesterday?  I can't think of a single operatic toilet joke to make.  Dammit!

I'm still making my way through today's posts, but when one someone asks me a direct question, a direct answer I must convey!

It was a strange double-bill, comprised of Leoncavallo's Pagliacci and Orff's Carmina Burana, the latter accompanied by a ballet.

Carmina Burina is sung in Latin, by the way (BTW in internet lingo), so I am in keeping with one of Dear BK's requests for our posts today.

Although the production of Pagliacci was interesting--updated to the 1930's or thereabouts--the Canio was very weak.  A Pagliacci with a weak Canio is just not a lot of fun, I have to report.

As for the Carmina Burana, I thought the dancing was OK.  At times it did expand upon the music being sung, but there was a lot of redundancy, I thought, to the choreography, and I could have done without the dance involving a live snake.  The Dear Mother, however, really enjoyed this approach to Orff's unusual work.

Opera Pacific was saving its money on casting with this double-bill.  The Nedda of Pagliacci sang the soprano part in Carmina Burana.   The Silvio sang the baritone part and the Beppe sang the brief, but challengingly high tessitura tenor part.  (He did a terrific job with it, too.)

The chorus plays a major role in both pieces, and it was very good.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2004, 06:06:54 PM »

What's wrong with BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN dvd that was put out?  I have it, but I must not have looked closely!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Robin

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2004, 06:08:43 PM »

I'm getting the Hammer Horror boxset tomorrow - - Christopher Lee!

What Hammer Horror boxset are you refering to, DR TD?  I had no idea one was being issued!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2004, 06:09:47 PM »

Since we're only on Page Three, I'll add a few posts before I head upstairs.

DR Danise: I have not been weighing myself.  But I think my diet and exercise regime is going quite well.  And it will only get better as soon as it gets warm enough so I can bike everyday.

The weather here has been up and down.  I did get to bike a few times last week.  But this weekend has been so cold and so windy.  There were actually ice pellets coming down tonight. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2004, 06:11:53 PM »

Woo and now we're on Page Four.

I must head up and watch the last 20 minutes of Alias (which I taped).  Another good episode.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2004, 06:13:16 PM »

Oh and tomorrow I shall have my most favorite dinner in the world.  Baton Rouge baby back ribs and fries.

No diet for me this weekend (and tomorrow). :)

Jay

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2004, 06:13:37 PM »

In all likelihood, Fiorello! doesn't get done much outside of the New York City area because people don't recognize the name Fiorello LaGuardia.

Talk about coincidences.  Just yesterday, the Dear Mother and I somehow got onto the subject of New York area airports.  We had no trouble remembering that before JFK was JFK, it was Idyllwild.  But what was LaGuardia Airport called before it was called LaGuardia?  Or is LaGuardia Airport a Robert Moses special, by which I mean there was no airport there previously, but private property, which was acquired and then leveled in order to make room for the airport.

Can any of you Dear Readers out there in the dark enlighten me?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2004, 06:14:31 PM »

Danise has your heart stopped racing yet?

The chocolate chip cookie dough you buy at the market (is it Pillsbury?) is much better raw than cooked.  :) I had a regular babysitting job when I was sixteen and was instructed not to eat the cookie dough or to give it to their daughter.  They finally gave up and stopped buying the stuff.  It was my only fault and they loved me. I always washed the dishes for them, at first that was done upstairs in their bathroom since the kitchen was being remolded.  And I sat for free if they got home from work late (they paid great, how could I not).  The daughter was 11 but didn’t like being home at night alone and I just lived across the street.

Seven pounds-wow!  That is how much I gained this year.  One down, and six to go for me

Robin

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2004, 06:17:05 PM »

What's wrong with BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN dvd that was put out?  I have it, but I must not have looked closely!

The image isn't framed correctly, the picture is darned close to being out-of-focus.  

For an example of the first, check out the fadeout after the hermit has put the Monster to bed; the cross in the background, which is supposed to remain through the fadeout is half cut-off...one can only see half of it!  On the laserdisc version of the movie, you can see the whole thing; in fact, I held onto the laserdisc because it was superior to the deeveedee.  

In all fairness, though, Universal did a phenomenal job on the deeveedee extras.  I've been led to believe they've retained the extras on the new boxed sets.  I certainly hope that's true.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2004, 06:17:59 PM »

Talk about coincidences.  Just yesterday, the Dear Mother and I somehow got onto the subject of New York area airports.  We had no trouble remembering that before JFK was JFK, it was Idyllwild.  But what was LaGuardia Airport called before it was called LaGuardia?  Or is LaGuardia Airport a Robert Moses special, by which I mean there was no airport there previously, but private property, which was acquired and then leveled in order to make room for the airport.

Can any of you Dear Readers out there in the dark enlighten me?

I can't enlighten you, Jay, but, this past week, my mother and I were discussing exactly the same thing.  She can't remember there being an airport on the north shore of Queens that wasn't called LaGuardia.  She also pointed out a fellow needn't be dead before they name an airport after him, e.g. Ronald Reagan airport in Washington.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Robin

« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2004, 06:20:29 PM »

I'm really excited about seeing the new Universal Horror deeveedees.  I love these films passionately...even the ones I don't particularly love, like House of Frankenstein, I still enjoy an awful lot.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2004, 06:25:42 PM »

(DR Jay - I checked this out.)

History
First occupied by Gala Amusement Park, LaGuardia Airport was built, in 1929, into a 105-acre private flying field. Ground was broken on September 9, 1937 for a new airport, which was built jointly by the City of New York and the Federal Works Progress Administration. It was dedicated on October 15, 1939 as New York City Municipal Airport. On November 2, 1939, the name was changed to New York Municipal Airport-LaGuardia Field. On December 2, 1939 the airport was opened to commercial traffic.
In 1947, the year the airport was leased to the Port Authority, it was renamed LaGuardia Airport. A new Central Terminal Building was opened in 1964, enlarged in 1967 and again in 1992.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2004, 06:27:20 PM »

There's really little I enjoy more than discovering previously-unknown-to-me musical theatre material.  Donald Feltham's radio show this week has many such treasures, the most lovely of which was that One Wing song, from a show to which Donald has written the book.  Good job, Donald!  I look forward to seeing the whole thing.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2004, 06:33:22 PM »

Jennifer I hope it warms up for you soon.

SWW I enjoyed your story.

Jay

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2004, 06:33:23 PM »

(DR Jay - I checked this out.)

History
First occupied by Gala Amusement Park, LaGuardia Airport was built, in 1929, into a 105-acre private flying field. Ground was broken on September 9, 1937 for a new airport, which was built jointly by the City of New York and the Federal Works Progress Administration. It was dedicated on October 15, 1939 as New York City Municipal Airport. On November 2, 1939, the name was changed to New York Municipal Airport-LaGuardia Field. On December 2, 1939 the airport was opened to commercial traffic.
In 1947, the year the airport was leased to the Port Authority, it was renamed LaGuardia Airport. A new Central Terminal Building was opened in 1964, enlarged in 1967 and again in 1992.

That's awesomely quick and thorough information, Dear Reader Dan-In-Toronto.  Thank you!  Have you ever considered going on Information, Please?

This confirms my suspicion that Robert Moses was involved, as Mr. Moses was the power behind the 1939 New York World's Fair, which was held in Flushing Meadows, adjacent to LaGuardia Airport.

Danise

« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2004, 06:34:35 PM »

Glad to hear your doing so well, Jennifer!  Keep up the good work!  :)  

My firend at work and I go over to the parking garage and walk on our breaks and at lunch.  That might not seem like a lot but it's pretty steep (much better than walking on the flat streets) and it is 8 floors.  

*chuckle*  Yes, Jane, my heart has slowed down but it did give me a fright.

I want to share a little program I just found on the web:

http://www.contactplus.com/products/freestuff/count.htm

You might have to do a copy and paste to get to it.  

It's a count down clock/calandar.  I've wanted one 'cause I think they're neat.  For Example:

As of right now I have:

It is now Sunday 4/25/2004 at 9:34:03 PM
Event: Vacation 1
Scheduled For 5/13/2004  5:00:00 AM
17 days 7 hours 25 minutes 57 seconds or
2 weekends or
18 days or
415 hours (277 waking hours) or
24,925 minutes or
1,495,556 seconds

Until my trip to Utah!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 06:37:57 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2004, 06:46:53 PM »

Short rant coming up.  I would like to know why the markets have to stick barcodes on fruits and vegetables with super duper sticky stuff.  It is so annoying removing them without gouging the food.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2004, 06:49:44 PM »

Danise, are you just a little bit excited about your trip?  ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2004, 06:50:21 PM »

I'm back and I'm tired. Just walked and fed the dog. Going to shower now. I'm sure bk will fill you in on the events of the day.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2004, 06:52:57 PM »

Danise I just noticed the time.  Is 5am the flight time or when you leave the house?  I hate those early morning flights.  They make it very difficult to sleep the night before, but then I expect you will be too excited to sleep anyway.

Jay

« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2004, 06:56:25 PM »

For those of you who lost sleep wondering:

The shopping expedition with the Dear Mother yesterday was successful.

What we learned:

--All toilets look alike.

--One can spend a lot of money on a toilet.  I mean a lot of money.

--All the stores we went to (but one) that stocked toilets only stocked toilets in white.  This is not very helpful when one is trying to replace a 40 year old  toilet--the tank of which cracked--in a shade somewhere between beige and mauve.

--Attempting to find a toilet in a shade somewhere between beige and mauve--so it matches the color of the 40 year old porcelain sink and tub in the same bathroom as the aforementioned cracked toilet--is no easy task.

--As expensive as toilets are in white, they are outrageously more expensive in a color.  

--Buying a toilet in a fashion color means placing a special order, which means waiting weeks for your toilet to come in.  (Which sounds like a cross between "My Ship" and something from Urinetown.)

--Lowes stocks exactly one toilet in a bone color that was close enough.

--The sales person at Lowes (this was at the store in Irvine, California) was knowledgable, pleasant and efficient, which is more than can be said about the help we got at Home Depot.

--Lowes' toilet installation fee is ten dollars cheaper than that of Home Depot.

--Lowes will cart away the old toilet for free while Home Depot will charge an additional ten dollars for the task.

And now you know, too!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 06:59:36 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2004, 06:58:01 PM »

Short rant coming up.  I would like to know why the markets have to stick barcodes on fruits and vegetables with super duper sticky stuff.  It is so annoying removing them without gouging the food.

Bring back brown paper bags on which the greengrocer totals your bill manually using a grease pencil.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2004, 07:02:42 PM »

I've eaten.  It was so hot today and just sitting (with a couple of exceptioins) is really draining in this kind of weather.  Not as many sales as yesterday but did okay.  I also spent a half-hour signing at a different booth on the main level and even though I only sold one book there, I spoke to lots of interesting people and gave out lots of post cards and bookmarks.  A world of difference between that and where we were.   Still, I'm glad I did it.

Jay

« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2004, 07:12:08 PM »

Today I saw a screening of a film created to celebrate the 250th anniversary this year of the founding of King's College, now better known as Columbia University.  The film's creator is Ric Burns, a classmate of mine and fellow alumnus of Dear Reader Noel.  Mr. Burns is probably best known for his multi-part documentary on the city of New York for PBS.  

[Ric should not be confused with his brother Ken, who did the widely lauded Civil War documentary for PBS.  (Though Ric did have a hand in that, too.)]

The film is very well done and brought back a good number of great memories, as a couple of my favorite professors are interviewed in the film.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2004, 07:18:10 PM »

SWW I enjoyed your story.
Thank-you.  It was much easier writing it than living it at the time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2004, 07:19:19 PM »

I'm soooooo tired.  I did eat cookies for lunch, though.  If I can get up the energy to load it, I have a photo of said cookies.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2004, 07:20:52 PM »

Jay LOL and LOL

Bruce, hope you cooled off and are relaxing.  I have been waiting to hear how today went.  Now I can say goodnight.  

Goodnight.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2004, 07:22:58 PM »

Thank-you.  It was much easier writing it than living it at the time.

It usually is.  :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2004, 07:24:23 PM »

--All the stores we went to (but one) that stocked toilets only stocked toilets in white.  This is not very helpful when one is trying to replace a 40 year old  toilet--the tank of which cracked--in a shade somewhere between beige and mauve.
You do realize, DR Jay, that the toilet you are replacing is older than some of our fellow (and femellow) DRs!

We won't go into the "cracked" descriptive.   ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2004, 07:25:29 PM »

I thought I'd pop in to say that procrastinating schoolwork is fun (especially when such a site as this exists with which to procrastinate through.)

I have my sociolinguistics exam tomorrow afternoon at 2 and then my contemporary european politics (with the Christiopher-Fitzgerald-as-Boq lookalike professor) exam on tuesday.  Then I have summer!!!  Huzzah!  Hoo and Ray!

It feels like only yesterday that Swishy, Maya and I were all complaining about having to go BACK to school and now the year is almost over for me.  

How time flies! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up