Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MELON BALLS AND PINEAPPLE CHUNKS  (Read 9311 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MELON BALLS AND PINEAPPLE CHUNKS
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:40:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had the flavor of both melon and pineapple, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently craving some balls and chunks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: MELON BALLS AND PINEAPPLE CHUNKS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLUVIAL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:53:11 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I don't know about a "best" hot dog and I don't think that I've ever had an "exotic" hot dog, but the  only hot dogs that I've had that I haven't liked were either overcooked or had too much mustard on them. :P

Otherwise, hot dogs = :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:39:24 AM »

Whew more thunderstorms and wind and lightning late last night - and more thunderstorms predicted for today....and a high temperature in the mid 90's! 

And that's Mooresville/Greenwood, Indiana, for June 19, 2010.

I appreciate the suggestions for BLITHE SPIRIT.  The cast was using their books - so the pace was quick....there is just SO MUCH PLAY there.  I am watching the television version to see what Coward himself cut and will probably lose some blocks of repetitive dialog here and there.

Yes, it must move quickly.....so we shall see.  So far only one cast member has weighed in on the cuts.....she had some good suggestions, but a line here and there is not the answer.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 04:42:38 AM »

The hot dog is a mighty treat.
For lunch it's what I like to eat.
At least until the day I read
Upon the package, what it said:
This hot dog is made of feet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:43:41 AM »

Lovely photos from MR BK yesterday....food and otherwise.  Nice colors in the sleeping chamber.

Also enjoyed DR GINNY's continuing tree saga.

DR PENNYO was here and was DR DAKOTA CELT....bravo!

Michael

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 05:03:41 AM »

Sometimes a hot dog is just a hot dog.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 05:40:21 AM »

Good morning, all! I had rather unsettling dreams of frightening shadows and ghostly presences and sounds  that terrified and woke me a couple of times. My last dream was a long one about working at Barnes and Noble on a busy Saturday with too few co-workers and lots of books and magazines to be put away. I was rather happy to get out of bed and realize that I had very few actual plans for the day.

At 10 am I shall meet DR edisaurus for breakfast. I think Greg is with her and we're meeting at Popover's, so that's gong to be fun. For this weekend's work, I have one of Joshie's Victor Herbert charts here to proofread, so I will do that today and tomorrow. I've also got more critical notes to pore over and  some work on my WIZARD OF OZ lecture, so that's my weekend.

In my hometown there once was the wonderful Liberty Restaurant, which folded about ten years ago. Long before I ever heard of Skyline or other Chili Dog franchises, the Liberty Restaurant's biggest trade was its wonderful hot dogs and toppings. The restaurant was busy during the day for downtown workers and lunch, but I woul guess the major part of its business was takeout. And, because my parents loved the product, the Liberty became the place for special occasions: company, a good report card, my mother's moments of craziness, whatever. Their chili was wonderful, but their hot dogs - and I still have no idea whether they were cooked in water, beer, Coca Cola, or God alone knows, were the best hot dogs ever. My dismay when I first discovered that the restaurant was now only a bit of Middletown folklore was enormous.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 05:53:40 AM »

I dimly recall the Liberty from my year in Middletown, but can't remember the hotdogs there. I may have been in my longneck lunch phase then, which I have since outgrown.

My favorite hotdogs have little to do with the dog themselves, but with the setting. I love them at baseball games. Trite, I know. But there's something about a dog at Shea Stadium or Yankee Stadium with spicy mustard and those onions that makes the whole experience a little more special. Some good friends, a cold beer and maybe some peanuts, and I'm all set. The big deal at the ballparks in San Antonio is smoked turkey legs, which pack a lot of meat on them but not enough sentiment for me.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 05:59:54 AM »

TOD: My husband is from Chicago, known for their hot dogs. He was lucky enough to find a Chicago hot dog stand here in Phoenix, so we go there once in a while.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 06:05:05 AM »

I guess for an exotic dog, there's the slaw dog in Atlanta, which I love. It's at the Varsity and it arrives covered with, you guessed it, coleslaw. Great combination. I usually try to grab at least one every time I visit.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 06:31:27 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  The storms that DR JRand described rolled through here a couple of hours ago.  DH Richard is back in Oxford all day and DS Rob and I will attend the Miami University Men's Glee Club Alumni concert tonight.  It's reunion weekend at MU, if you hadn't already guessed.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 06:41:21 AM »

Ah, yes, DRs Elmore and John G, The Liberty is history.  Like DR John G, the hot dog that came to mind for me had more to do with the circumstances than the food itself.  A couple of years ago, DH Richard and I took the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan and ate hot dogs and popcorn - the sun was shining and the water was sparkling and we enjoyed every minute of it. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 06:47:55 AM »

TOD: 

My wife makes the greatest hot dogs.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »

She also makes great meatloaf, which is what she's going to make me for Father's Day tomorrow.

:)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »

1963 posts!

That's the year I graduated from college.

;D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 07:12:46 AM »

I would have to go with any hot dog, done with Cincinnati chili, described in BK's notes. -- your basic Cincinnati Coney, dog, mustard, bun onions,  Cincinnati-style chili, shredded cheese  Though there are several variations and brands in Cincy, the difference between them is pretty much a toss-up, all are good. 

Other than that,  I'm not really into unusual or exotic hot dogs...I've seen those fancy dogs on the Food Channel piled with strange oddities that, frankly, look unappetizing to me.   Simplicity if the key, a nice plump hot dog, warm bun, mustard, diced onions, a good pickle relish.  And I don't always need the relish.

Though they are not especially brilliant, I've always enjoyed Dodger Dogs.  But like John G, this has to do with the setting.  A hot dog is de rigeur at a baseball game.  Nothing else will do.  Aside from baseball games, I rarely order a hotdog at a restaurant or deli.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 07:15:23 AM »

Whew more thunderstorms and wind and lightning late last night - and more thunderstorms predicted for today....and a high temperature in the mid 90's! 

And that's Mooresville/Greenwood, Indiana, for June 19, 2010.

I appreciate the suggestions for BLITHE SPIRIT.  The cast was using their books - so the pace was quick....there is just SO MUCH PLAY there.  I am watching the television version to see what Coward himself cut and will probably lose some blocks of repetitive dialog here and there.

Yes, it must move quickly.....so we shall see.  So far only one cast member has weighed in on the cuts.....she had some good suggestions, but a line here and there is not the answer.

JRand, what TV version of BLITHE SPIRIT are you watching.  If the cast just got off books, no wonder your run-through went three hours, if your a week away or something from opening, then I'd worry.

Laura

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 08:11:31 AM »

Goodbye, Jeanne and kittens. We will miss you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFwJkBqHFqw
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 08:33:30 AM »

TOD - Costco has the best hot dog.  I think they might be Hebrew Nationals, but they are yummy, and you can't beat the price!

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »

A hot dog does not make ME lose control.
I like boat races.

Cillaliz

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 09:26:14 AM »

1963 posts!

That's the year I graduated from college.

;D

I was 2 years old in 1963 ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 09:26:58 AM »

I like fried hot dogs

Cillaliz

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »

I really should go to the farmers market, but I'm not in the mood

Cillaliz

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »

I had a great time last night.  This morning I discovered that Gatorade also helps get rid of that morning after headache

Cillaliz

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »

It's a nice day.  I have the windows open to air out the house.  I did a little cleaning this morning before a friend stopped by to bring me some iris and blackberry plants and some lilac bushes.  I have tons of lilacs coming up, but may plant them in another part of the yard

Cillaliz

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »

He also brought me coffee.  What a sweetheart.  He's the young guy who made me the homemade miso and used to work at my favorite coffee shop. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »

I've really got to run some errands.  I just can't seem to get motivated.  Maybe if I just turn off the computer and go!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 09:36:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLUVIAL!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I THINK IT'S GOING TO RAIN TODAY

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »

I'm up, she of the Evil Eye and her sister are cleaning away - we can't do the bed skirt as we all seem to have bad backs at the moment - so I may enlist the aid of my helper on Monday or get some strapping person here to help do it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up