Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUE GRITS  (Read 94558 times)

Jennifer

Re:TRUE GRITS
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2004, 10:56:24 AM »

Are we on Page Three yet?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2004, 10:57:43 AM »

Yup.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2004, 10:57:56 AM »

The next day I asked my mom to pick up the cast album of A Little Night Music at Korvette's.

Ah, Korvette's!  The BEST place to buy records.  They were always so much cheaper there.....  Where did you grow up?  Which Korvette's did you frequent?

From some of your comments, DR D-T-M, sometimes I think that you are DR Jay's and my long lost brother!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2004, 11:00:05 AM »

Wow, BK, it's still hot down there?  I had heard that it was going to be cooling off all down the coast, including LA and San Diego.

We had wonderful morning fog here and it's MUCh nicer today than yesterday.  I slept SOOOOO WELL last night.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2004, 11:04:02 AM »

Grits are very good slathered in butter and liberally dosed with pepper.  The Lovely Wife makes a mean cheese grits.  She usually makes it for our Kentucky Derby Party, but not this year.  She keeps swearing every year never to make the bourbon balls, but the popular demand for them is such that she always gives in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2004, 11:07:41 AM »

Before it was the Hollwood Palace it was the El Capitan.  I snuck in there with my friend a few times - the stage door was always open for some reason, and the theater was dark.  

Loved Ed Sullivan, too.

Yes, the actors who shoot out of town are given living quarters and a per diem for the entire time they're there.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2004, 11:11:32 AM »

I believe they are just following the story of a 16 yr old girl who has to choose which of 5 couples she will give her baby to.  It's not a competition, they are just documenting the process.

Since when does the mother get to pick?  That's what adoption agencies are for.  And if she has to choose between five potential couples, that sure sounds like a competition to me.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2004, 11:13:22 AM »

I walked out of the middle of American Idol last night.  It was ridiculous having these people sing latin/salsa music. It was a test of nothing.  And the band was overwhelming the singers (and my wife kept insisting the back-up singers were singing flat).  I just couldn't bear to watch these kids embarrass themselves trying to do what even many pros would look awkward and embarrassing doing.  Latin music is very specific for specific talent.  It's not for everyone; it is not like pop standards.  It was a bad choice by the producers of the show.  

Charges today by Elton John that he thinks the voting reflects racism in the recent Jennifer Hudson scandal where all three black girls...arguably the best singers in the competition...were in the bottom three.  I think it's more disturbing that arguably the three best singers were in the bottom three rather than that they were black.  Given Ruben Studdard's win last year, it's a bit of a reach to charge racism.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2004, 11:14:12 AM »

Dear Readers I ask you:  Will there ever be another variety show to match Pink Lady and Jeff???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2004, 11:15:51 AM »

Re: the Nick & Jessica variety show getting good ratings.

I love them, and I cannot wait until their Newlywed show starts up here again.  But I did not like that variety show.  It should have been great.  But it wasn't.  I wonder how many people who watched it actually loved it.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2004, 11:25:24 AM »

Grits are very good slathered in butter and liberally dosed with pepper.  

Okay I am officially losing my mind.

I read this to say, "girls are very good slathered in butter."

Oy.

Btw, I don't think I've ever tried grits.  What do they taste like?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2004, 11:28:27 AM »

Dear Readers I ask you:  Will there ever be another variety show to match Pink Lady and Jeff???

There was, to some degree:  The Hudson Brothers variety show.  I believe it was syndicated, and for some reason ran on the NYC CBS station at something like 2AM on Saturday nights (actually Sunday mornings).  I can't recall why, but DR/DB Jay and I caught it one night  (I have no idea why we would have both been up so late at our mother's apartment, but we were), and in so doing caught the American television debut of someone named Elaine Paige.  She sang, amongst other things, a quite sultry version of "I'd Be Surprisingly Good for You," set in a contemporary singles bar.  The rest of the show was inane drivel, as I recall, and was only barely removed from the antics going on over at HR Pufenstuf's place.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2004, 11:30:12 AM »

Since when does the mother get to pick?  That's what adoption agencies are for.  And if she has to choose between five potential couples, that sure sounds like a competition to me.

I am not sure how adoptions work.  But what they are showing on 20/20 I think, is similar to how Monica and Chandler got their baby on Friends.

The mother gets to look at various files, and then meet with prospective parents.

I do not know if this is the norm.  

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2004, 11:33:01 AM »

Work is very slow today. I am very bored today. So I am listening to RAAGA Internet radio which is currently playing the soundtrack to KOI MIL GAYA which is sort of a recent Bollywood remake of E.T. that I think DR JRand53 has seen and trying to look busy.

As a kid I loved The Red Skelton Show, The Carol Burnett Show, and the Ed Sullivan Show. Does Hee Haw count? We watched it a lot! LOL!

I also recall Pink Lady and Jeff and some short lived show starring Starlight Vocal Band (singers of Afternoon Delight)...I think those two shows were likely the downfall of the variety show! LOL!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 11:36:42 AM by MBarnum »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2004, 11:40:07 AM »

I tried watching American Idol last night (basically because the Mariners are playing on the East Coast this week, so the games are on early), but I could not get over the low level of talent on that show.  Granted Latin / Salsa was probably not a great choice for those singers, but that doesn’t explain the pitch problems, rhythm problems, or sustaining note problems that almost all the singers suffered through.  I kept thinking that if these six were the best of the bunch, what were the losers like (and I am not talking about just William Hung)  I have heard far better talent at most theater auditions, let alone on Star Search or Ted Mack’s Original Amateur Hour.  Where are the thousands of talented hopefuls, from all over America, looking for their chance at stardom?  
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2004, 11:40:54 AM »

Nothing wrong with girls slathered in butter.  Perhaps I'll have one for luncheon.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2004, 11:41:48 AM »

elmoore: I wouldn't  be surprised if you were right.

My real name is Sherlock Holmes (a BALD SOPRANO reference)!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2004, 11:42:59 AM »

Re: what DR Charles Pogue said about there being racism on American Idol

I don't see it at all.  A black contestant won last year (when I actually think Clay was better).

Four out of the 7 finalists were black.

I truly believe that America simply thought Jennifer/LaToya/Fantasia were safe.  I really cannot believe it had to do with race.  IF so they would have been voted out already.

Plus those same girls have been in the top two or three many times.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  C'mon in - we're currently discussing girls slathered in butter.

Update:  I just walked into my bedroom expecting the worst, so imagine my surprise to find that ninety percent of the Dead Rodent odor is gone.  Hoo and ray.  I sprayed some more of the industrial strength deodorizer and both windows are open.  I wonder if the fact that it's cooler today has anything to do with it.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2004, 11:44:22 AM »

I don't think Pogue was saying there was racism - I think he was saying that OTHERS said there was racism.  At least I think that's what he was saying.

Now, about them girls slathered in butter...

Charles Pogue

« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2004, 11:45:06 AM »

I expect girls are very good slathered in butter too...though I have reservations about liberally dosing them with pepper.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2004, 11:46:26 AM »

Good news: Kelsey is feeling better.  He still can't walk much, his hips are shot, but he's eating again and responding to the attention that der Brucer and Marty have been giving him.   :)

Meanwhile, Buster is draining a glass of ginger ale that I have sitting on my desk.  (The desk and bed are next to each other, at about the same level.)  I've known that he and Marty both like iced tea, but this love of ginger ale is mainly Buster's thing.  Ah, he's finished.  I poured myself about three inches (with ice) in an old fashioned glass, and he's left me about half and inch.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2004, 11:47:19 AM »

Oh, The Red Skelton Show!  And I did like the Jack Benny Show as well - such funny business.  I love the routine when he took a free piece of cake, came back took the rest of the cake, then the cake cutter, then the tablecloth, then the card table and sign.  

And on some show - they were going to reveal AT LAST the identity of John Beresford Tiption - they turned the wing chair around and it was Jack Benny!  He didn't have to say a word, he only made that face and put his chin in his hand....I am STILL laughing, and it has been 50 years!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!

Thanks for answering my question, MR BK, interestesting.

George which SS album do you mean?  Which songs are on it?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2004, 11:53:02 AM »

Re: What do grits taste like...

Just yesterday, on Paula's Home Cooking (Food Network), Paula Dean was making grits.  She said that they are made from ground corn, and that while they look like cream of wheat they don't taste like that at all.

Gee, corn doesn't taste like wheat!  I never knew that!   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2004, 11:57:01 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  C'mon in, the Dead Rodent smell is gone and we are having too too much fun.  AND, we've got us some girls slathered in butter.

I'm going for a quick luncheon and then I shall return.

Countdown to 40,000 posts - under three hundred to go.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2004, 11:58:45 AM »

George which SS album do you mean?  Which songs are on it?

The album is actually called "Sondheim:  The Stephen Sondheim Album."  HERE is the link to the amazon.com listing.  The edition available only from the dreaded website has an extra (16th) track sung by Emily Skinner.   Here are the other songs:

1. Make the Most of Your Music - Brent Barrett
2. Anyone Can Whistle - Jane Krakowski
3. Everyone Says Don't - Liz Callaway
4. Sorry/Grateful - Guy Haines
5. Another Hundred People - Alice Ripley
6. Broadway Baby - Lea DeLaria
7. It Wasn't Meant to Happen - Michele Pawk
8. Giants in the Sky - Brian d'Arcy James
9. Children Will Listen - Ruthie Henshall
10. Losing My Mind - Dame Edna
11. Moment With You
12. So Many People
13. You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/Not a Day Goes By
14. I'm Still Here - Dorothy Loudon
15. With So Little to Be Sure Of/Who Could Be Blue - Norm Lewis
16. Bonus track:  ?? (I forget this title) - Emily Skinner
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 12:00:00 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2004, 11:59:03 AM »

Jrand -- I imagine that you and I will really have the youngsters at this site scratching their heads.  John Beresford Tipton AND Ted Mack!

“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2004, 12:06:50 PM »

Yes, BK, I was merely reporting that Elton John suggested there might be racism in the vote.  I,like Jennifer, don't believe the erraticness of the voting has anything to do with racism.

But I do agree with TCB about the level of talent this year.  For me, the show is pretty much over...If this is the best talent they could find this year, what does it bode for next year? I think it also can be seen in Simon's remarks.  I think he's getting more critical just to spice up a really, really dull show.  Of course, Randy is getting more critical as well. And actually both of them, despite the audience booing, are dead on in their criticism. But we have to remember the judges picked these people.  Poor John Stephens over people like Scooter Girl and others...It descended into a very mediocre, unexciting, and worse of all, especially for Fox, a DULL show.

Ted Mack's Amateur Hour was far more entertaining.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2004, 12:11:28 PM »

My Father loves grits and tries to force them on me whenever I visit him.  I only like grits when they're a part of hominy, which I love.

Variety shows:  this will date me.  My favorite was The Gary Moore Show, because I was crazy about Carol Burnett and Marian Lorne, and I thought it was consistently high calibre.  Carol Burnett was replaced by Dorothy Loudon, but I never thought she was as funny as Carol.  I liked Ed Sullivan but some of his guests were not so much fun as Gary Moore's, and it was sometimes a long wait for a Broadway moment.

During the 70s, I was in and out of the house so I saw television infrequently, but the Carol Burnett show was always worth watching.  Still is.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2004, 12:15:39 PM »

Number 89 one away from Page 4
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up