Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KEY TO THE NOTES  (Read 86464 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE KEY TO THE NOTES
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2004, 01:19:09 PM »

I didn't see WSS in its original engagement. I saw a reissue in 1967 (I believe), and there was an intermission inserted after the rumble, but there was no special intermission card created for WSS. There was just a generic slide that said "intermission" put up on the screen, and after about ten minutes, the movie started again with no entre'act.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2004, 01:23:43 PM »

Today's Topic of the Day:

A Sondheim Players South Pacific

Nellie:  Bernadette Peters
Emile:  Mandy Patinkin
Bloody Mary:  Danielle Ferland
Joe:  Larry Kert
Liat:  Dean Jones
Luther:  Patti LuPone
Men’s Chorus:  Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers, Jason Alexander, Nathan Lane
Nurse’s Chorus:  Ethel Merman, Rosalind Russell, Angela Lansbury, Tyne Daly, Bette Midler
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2004, 01:30:27 PM »

I don't know how to tell you this: WSS had an intermission in its roadshow engagement.  I saw the film fourteen times in a row (those who've read Kritzer Time know this fact) and my memory is absolute.  

Jrand, the manual you link to has NOTHING about the intermission - only the author's supposition at the top of the page - he's wrong.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2004, 01:31:49 PM »

*Note - The photo to the left hasn't been an accurate representation in this regard for a few months, as I'd gotten rid of the full beard, but still had the moustache and goatee... rather like DR George.  But this newly naked face of mine is just strange!!! :D

I used to sport a full beard when I was in college, and with every role I played the director inevitably told me to shave it all off.  The first few days it seems like you can detect the breeze created by the flapping of a butterfly's wings from miles away.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2004, 01:32:25 PM »

Well, I saw WSS with an intermission, but clicking on the link below provides a UA memo about its presentation that does not include an intermission.

I just looked at the latest edition of the soundtrack CD, which claims to be all the music recorded for WSS, and there's no Entr'Acte.  Maybe I imagined it, maybe it's Alzheimers, maybe I just wanted there to be one.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2004, 01:37:48 PM »

Countdown to 40,000 posts.  I do believe we'll make it this very day.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Are we there yet?[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                 Are we there yet?[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                  Are we there yet?[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                                   Are we there yet?[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                                                    Are we there yet?[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                                                                     Are we there yet?[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2004, 01:38:33 PM »

As long as everyone is arguing about WSS, let's imagine the film cast reuniting for South Pacific:

(Working from the first billed at IMDB)

Natalie Wood as Nellie
Richard Beymer as Emile
Russ Tamblyn as Lt. Cable
Rita Moreno as Bloody Mary
George Chakiris as Luthor
and
Simon Oakland as Liat!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2004, 01:42:56 PM »

A little more seriously, pulling directly from IMDB:

Alternate Versions for
West Side Story (1961)

The Special Limited Edition DVD released by MGM in 2003 restores the original intermission that was included in the original roadshow version but dropped for all subsequent prints, the intermission sequence takes place right after the song 'Maria' and brings the film's total running time to approximately 152 minutes

Huh?  The intermission takes place right after "Maria"?  THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!  That's like putting the intermission in Oklahoma! immediately after "I Cain't Say No"!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 01:45:05 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2004, 01:47:02 PM »

RE: South Pacific:

NELLIE: Marissa Jaret Winokur
EMILE: Matthew Broderick
LT. CABLE: Billy Joel
BLOODY MARY: Judi Dench
LIAT: Bette Midler
LUTHOR: Robert Redford

And, as STEWPOT, our very own Able-bodied seaman, DR Jed!

Or should we say, our Abel-bodied seaman? :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2004, 01:48:51 PM »

As I said, I saw it with an intermission.....I was just supplying some information.

I would guess that contemporary information - including BK's memory - would supersede anything written today.

I NEVER saw a RoadShow movie without an intermission included and my guess is that it had one.

Elmore, I think the nature of the beast precluded an Entracte.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2004, 01:55:17 PM »

Well, the comedy of errors that is this production of Children of Eden for which I'm vocal director hit unbelievable heights today.  I arrived at the high school for our final dress rehearsal to learn that the little $#!% who was playing Abel decided to quit the show TODAY.  This kid had shown up for all of ONE vocal rehearsal, and missed a number of stage rehearsals as well.  Unfortunately, we had only 6 males in the show at it was (and had to go begging for 2 of them), so the director decided not to cut him.  He had no clue what he was doing much of his time on stage, and looked like a jackass... which he apparently realized, and simply decided to screw everyone else over rather than suffer his consequences.

Seeing where this was leading, my mind started racing trying to figure out some sort of solution to this whole debacle without getting roped into filling the role myself.  Well, no great epiphany came, so... I'm now playing Abel in this high school production.  (Really thought I was done with high school theatre when I graduated 6 years ago!)  I, who have never played a young-ish role in my life (due to my 6-foot, 250lb build and booming bass voice), am now supposed to be portraying a 15-year-old, while a scrawny, true 15-year-old is portraying my father. :)  Just beyond ridiculous.

Thankfully, it's a small role (and is not doubled with one of the Act II brothers, as is usually done).  I have some memorizing to get to... opening night curtain is 17 hours away!  (Plenty of time to learn this role, really, but sounds good and dramatic)

Oh, wow, Jed!  It's too bad there's no such thing as "youth makeup"...you know, since they have age makeup and all.  I am expecting pics too!!

Today's Topic of the Day:

A Sondheim Players South Pacific

Nellie:  Bernadette Peters
Emile:  Mandy Patinkin
Bloody Mary:  Danielle Ferland
Joe:  Larry Kert
Liat:  Dean Jones
Luther:  Patti LuPone
Men’s Chorus:  Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers, Jason Alexander, Nathan Lane
Nurse’s Chorus:  Ethel Merman, Rosalind Russell, Angela Lansbury, Tyne Daly, Bette Midler

LMAO!!

South Pacific

Nellie--Sarah Brightman
Emile--John Stamos
Bloody Mary--Lea Salonga
Liat--Linda Eder
Luther--Neil Patrick Harris
Joe Cable--P Diddy

I really don't know from opera, but I like "The Magic Flute" and "La Boheme."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 01:56:16 PM by Maya »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2004, 01:56:13 PM »

Well it seems to me that the WSS intermission must have been up to the individual theatre.  When the intermission was mentioned in KRITZER TIME, I thought that maybe that was wrong as I swore I saw it without an intermission.  I remember being surprised that there was none.  But obviously in some cities there was one.  It was not an uncommon practice for theatres to add intermissions for longer movies even when none was intended.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »

Panni glad your feeling fine.  I think you were just up too early this morning.

I don’t have a favorite opera and I’m not very good at choosing “bad” casts, thought I enjoy reading them.

My favorite ballets are ROMEO AND JULIET & SWAN LAKE.  I enjoy the music, but am not a fan of THE NUTCRACKER

TCB Danise is still here and should see your message.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2004, 01:58:49 PM »

Just read that WICKED got 11 Drama Desk nominiations today, and ASSASSINS got 7.

As with the Outer Critics Circle nominations, both Idina and Kristin received Best Actress nominations, but neither Joel Grey nor Carole Shelley received DD noms though they did get them from the OCC.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2004, 02:20:58 PM »

Good Afternoon!

DR Jane - Regarding the blood test for Lyme disease... Apparently, the new tests are very accurate.  In my case, they never ran them since the meds I was on for the bacterial infections would have skewed the tests results.  However, I had four major symptoms of Lyme disease - including the tell-tale rash, so the diagnosis was "empiric" as my doctor stated.  Thankfully, after a few days, my symptoms leveled out, and the rash turned out to be a reaction to the meds.  Whew!

As for SOUTH PACIFIC casting...

Emile - Scott Baio
Nellie - Erin Moran
Lt. Cable - Henry Winkler
Luther Billis - Donny Most (which might actually work?!?)
Bloody Mary - Marion Ross
Liat - hmmm... whoever played Pinky Tuscadero

-Or Henry Winkler could be Emile opposite Marion Ross' Nellie, with Cable and Liat being played by Mr. Baio and Ms. Moran.

-But what about MR. C.?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2004, 02:22:55 PM »

Assassins.  Quite predictable.  Whether one likes or dislikes the show, what critics found bad ten years ago they are now slathering butter all over.  Some things are no-brainers.

I suppose it's possible that some roadshow theaters didn't have the info, or, as someone elsewhere suggested, maybe it was late in the roadshow run and they'd gone to three showings a day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2004, 02:24:37 PM »

I wasn't being snippy, Jrand - it's just that those guys at sites like that are frequently incorrect.  Heaven knows, the imdb is littered with mistakes of every kind.  And they never correct them.

Countdown to 40,000 posts.  We may just be having our celebration this very evening.  It may even call for an impromptu chat.

Donald has informed me that he is experiencing computer woes and this week's radio show will be delayed one week.

Jed

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2004, 02:34:01 PM »

Oh, wow, Jed!  It's too bad there's no such thing as "youth makeup"...you know, since they have age makeup and all.  I am expecting pics too!!LMAO!!

Last night, our makeup lady, Pat, a good friend of mine for a number of years, said, "Making you look 15 was NOT in my contract!" :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 02:35:06 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2004, 02:38:21 PM »

LOL.....snippy?  Wasn't that an Australian Television series?

I have been watching EARTH vs THE SPIDER on VHS.  Some time between BEGINNGING OF THE END and this picture, Mr Bert I Gordon and his assistant Flora M Gordon certainly improved their Special Effects skills.

Did anyone see EARTH vs THE SPIDER at the theatre?  I remember seeing it on television several times and I remember the coming attraction on television during its original run.....mostly I remember that screaming ninny who had her skirt caught in the door of her Buick!  There are some actual scary scenes in the movie - and Ed Kemmer is a great hero.  MBARNUM favorite the MIA June Kenney and Gene Persson make a cute "teen" couple.

My favorite moment is when Carol's mother - after the death of her husband (Carol's father) - puts on a apron and goes upstairs to cook dinner.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2004, 02:40:06 PM »

Last night, our makeup lady, Pat, a good friend of mine for a number of years, said, "Making you look 15 was NOT in my contract!" :D

Can't they shoot you through a layer of vaseline or linoleum?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2004, 02:45:08 PM »

OH!  DR Jed!

BREAK A LEG!!!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2004, 02:45:23 PM »

To make me look 15, they'd have to shoot through a layer of concrete.

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2004, 02:46:36 PM »

I love Earth Vs. The Spider! Especially that skinny little giant spider leg that tries to scare Sally Fraser and the sceaming little toddler!

And of course the spider's size changes tremendously from scene to scene...but the panic scenes are quite well done, and anything with Miss June Kenney rates a 10+ in my book!

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2004, 02:53:26 PM »

I think "Snippy" was a TV show around the same time as "Slipper" JRand.
Operas: Tried for a few seasons but seing as they are in Opera repertoirs these days - "Sweeney Todd"& "Candide".
Ballet: "Giselle".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2004, 02:55:42 PM »

I love Earth Vs. The Spider! Especially that skinny little giant spider leg that tries to scare Sally Fraser and the sceaming little toddler!

This was a drive-in movie for me, and I still confuse its sequences with TARANTULA, which I also thought was a hoot.

VinTek

• Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2004, 02:57:59 PM »

Making my small contribution toward Post 40K.  As for operas, I've always been fond of La Boheme.
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again
- Marin County newspaper listing for The Wizard of Oz

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2004, 03:07:20 PM »

This was a drive-in movie for me, and I still confuse its sequences with TARANTULA, which I also thought was a hoot.

TARANTUAL = boring and no June Kenney

EARTH VS. SPIDER = fun, excitement, and June Kenney

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2004, 03:07:59 PM »

LOL!  That poor woman...what a task.  In all the roles I've seen you play, I think the youngest probably been...oh, as seabee in SoPac, I think.  But titles roles, probably Higgins was the youngest, and that's midforties at least.  hehehehe...this whole thing just tickles me pink :D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2004, 03:11:37 PM »

Things could be worse, Dear Reader Jed.  The show could have been Annie and the AWOL player could have been the one cast in the titular role.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2004, 03:13:39 PM »

Countdown to 40,000 posts.  We could be there within the hour.  Damn them, damn them all to hell, those who thought we were a flash in the pan or a flash in the bulb or a flash in the garden.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up