Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KEY TO THE NOTES  (Read 86434 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE KEY TO THE NOTES
« on: April 29, 2004, 12:01:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know which key the notes are in, you've unlocked the notes and now you are ready to post until the cows come home.  Countdown to 40,000 posts!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 12:01:30 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:THE KEY TO THE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 01:51:55 AM »

Well, the comedy of errors that is this production of Children of Eden for which I'm vocal director hit unbelievable heights today.  I arrived at the high school for our final dress rehearsal to learn that the little $#!% who was playing Abel decided to quit the show TODAY.  This kid had shown up for all of ONE vocal rehearsal, and missed a number of stage rehearsals as well.  Unfortunately, we had only 6 males in the show at it was (and had to go begging for 2 of them), so the director decided not to cut him.  He had no clue what he was doing much of his time on stage, and looked like a jackass... which he apparently realized, and simply decided to screw everyone else over rather than suffer his consequences.

Seeing where this was leading, my mind started racing trying to figure out some sort of solution to this whole debacle without getting roped into filling the role myself.  Well, no great epiphany came, so... I'm now playing Abel in this high school production.  (Really thought I was done with high school theatre when I graduated 6 years ago!)  I, who have never played a young-ish role in my life (due to my 6-foot, 250lb build and booming bass voice), am now supposed to be portraying a 15-year-old, while a scrawny, true 15-year-old is portraying my father. :)  Just beyond ridiculous.

Thankfully, it's a small role (and is not doubled with one of the Act II brothers, as is usually done).  I have some memorizing to get to... opening night curtain is 17 hours away!  (Plenty of time to learn this role, really, but sounds good and dramatic)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 01:54:49 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 04:14:40 AM »

Now I really want to see the video of the production Jed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 04:38:39 AM »

Mandy, Kiri, Jose and Sarah?
Maybe Justin T and Janet J would be a good start!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 05:09:17 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm quite puzzled over the strange posting count yesteray; when I signed off on the East Coast it was 11 pm, which is 8:00 PST, and we were on page 8!  I was certain I'd get up this morning and find one or two more pages to read through.  So what happened?  Did my Dear Friend BK's gallop off to his reading let the troops wander in the wilderness?  Most unsettling, I fear.

My allergies/cold continue to make me unhappy and uncomfortable, I have to find something new to read, but after the Kritzer saga, what?  Maybe the new mystery about the young Edgar Allen Poe, AN UNPARDONABLE CRIME.  I'll take it with me today and see how I like it

My comments about Kritzer and Copperfield have me wondering, did the USA ever produce a writer of popular fiction as good as Charles Dickens?  He's the author I feel the Kritzer books are closest to, but just as Dickens' field of writing is probably Richardson, Fielding, Bronte, Austen, Thackeray, and current writers like Willkie Collins, Bruce has another century on him, so there's some Ray Bradbury in Kritzer's literary world, but who else?

Worst casting for SOUTH PACIFIC?  I feel it's already been done on tv with the world's oldest Nelie Forbush and on discs with the when-I-sing-pop-music-I-listen-to-Streisand Kiri (I know; I've been there).

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 05:12:19 AM »

DR Jed,

Forgive me, but your latest chronicle had me in stitches.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 05:13:56 AM »

DR Danise, re: tipping. It was covered pretty well yesterday. Just remember as DR Jose said, it's easy enough to figure out a tip for a meal here in NY if you double the tax which will make a tip of slightly more than 17%. If you throw in another  dollar and change you'll be in the 20% range. DR Jose also mentioned the subway for Joe's Pub at the Public. I would recommend that as well unless  you really want to take a cab. Take the Number 6 Train. If you're staying at the Milford Plaza go to the 7th Avenue 42nd Street station and take the shuttle to Grand Central Station. From there take the Number 6 Train DOWNTOWN to Astor Place and you'll be just two blocks from the Public and Joe's Pub. It will only cost you $2 (or if you buy an unlimited ride subway card, it will be even less). If you want to take a cab remember that if you get stuck in traffic your fare will be somewhat higher because the meter adds time if you're just sitting in non-moving traffic. Also there is a 50 cent surcharge on taxi fares after 8pm in the evening. What you might want to do is take the subway to Joe's Pub and then take a cab home. You should be able to get a taxi around the Public Theatre easily enough. As the others mentioned, I always round up when I'm paying my taxi fare. I don't want to figure out change so as DR Elmore mentioned, a $5.50 fare would round up to $6 w/a 90 cent tip and round that up to $7. I usually over-tip in a taxi cause it's a luxury (IMHO) that I allow myself every so often just to get home more quickly when it's late at night.

Hope this helps.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 05:23:13 AM »

South Pacific casting? To start: Barry Humphries/Edna Everage as Luther (There Is Nothing Like A Dame).  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 06:05:45 AM »

And Nathan Lane as Lt. Max Bialystok Cable singing Younger Than Springtime to Elaine Stritch's Liat.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 06:14:23 AM »

Nathan's understudy: DR Jed.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 06:15:04 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 06:16:13 AM »

A crosss-dressing William Hung as Bloody Mary?

BK - Was the "Cinderella" you watched in b&w or color?  Supposedly there are no color copies available.  I also find it interesting that the original Julie Andrews is being televised and released about the same time that New York City Opera is reviving the show.

According to Rhino Handmade, the "LucyMame" soundtrack has completely sold out.  They have released about two dozen limited edition soundtracks over the last few years and to my knowledge this is the only one that has sold out.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 06:18:17 AM »

And Nathan Lane as Lt. Max Bialystok Cable singing Younger Than Springtime to Elaine Stritch's Liat.

I feel supremely lousy this morning, but that made me laugh. (As did the image of 250 lb. Jed and his scrawny 15-year-old pappy.) Two laughs at 6 AM. Not bad.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 07:43:25 AM »

A bad SOUTH PACIFIC:

Nellie: Harvey Fierstein (hey, he did it in HAIRSPRAY)
Emile: Sean Hayes
Joe: the ever reliable Mickey Rooney
Bloody Mary: Kristin Chenoweth
Luther Billis: Brent Barrett
Liat: Rosie O'Donnell
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 07:45:03 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 07:49:44 AM »

DRJED you have put a star in your crown - and the audience will appreciate it more than you know!

Oh my SOUTH PACIFIC -

Nellie - Lucie Arnaz
Emile - Bill Dana
Bloody Mary - Angie Dickinson
Liat - Mary Kate & Asnley (Wed & Sat matinee) Olsen
Lt Cable - Tommy Tune
Luther Billis - Gary Coleman
Men's Chorus - Fab Five from Queer Eye for the Str8 Guy
Nurse's Chorus - Barker's Beauties from The Price is Right
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 07:52:58 AM »

The theme of next week's AMERICAN IDOL:

Big Bands

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 08:13:53 AM »

Well I can combine todays topic with DR Jed's predicament:  in my high school production of South Pacific, I played Emil's son (whose name I have thankfully forgotten)--I'm not quite Jed's size, but close to 6 feet and around 200 lbs, plus even then I was a bit on hirsute side of things, while the guy playing Emil was about 5'6", scrawny as all get out and, worst of all, was, even though he must have been 18, going through his change of voice.  We all used to wonder exactly where each evening his voice would crack--usually it was in Twin Soliloquoys.

Hey, does anyone have a URL for a *decent* review of the Universal Monster Legacy set?  I am seeing such divergent opinions (surprise, surprise), I'd like to see something definitive.  BK, maybe you'd like to tackle this one on the DVD site?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 08:14:13 AM »

I have been watching some of the WB Detective shows that DRMBARNUM has sent me.

Those shows really depended a lot on MUSIC.  There was Marguerite Sierra on SURFSIDE 6 in the Boom Boom Room - she was a pretty good entertainer.  Connie Stevens in HAWAIIAN EYE in the Tiki Room and over at Dino's on 77 SUNSET STRIP the Ortega Trio played some hot jazz.  Most of the music came from the Warner's catalog - even the underscoring - but is interesting to hear.  The Ortega Trio did a mean "Begin the Beguine" on an episode I watched last night....that featured Rhodes Reason, Sherry Jackson, Carol Ohmart, AND Douglas Dick.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 08:17:51 AM »

JR, please remember to tell the extras they need to wear Polynesian makeup #23.  LOL.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 08:20:15 AM »

Hey, I forgot to mention--we had Gabe's last ostepath appointment yesterday and he is "officially healed."  And, I wasn't crazy (or at least, not about this)--our doctor was indeed a former NFL player for the Denver Broncos.  I knew I had recognized his name.  Is that weird or what?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2004, 08:42:37 AM »

Tipping:  I have found that if I leave a note on the first day telling the maid how long I'm planning to stay, plus a tip commensurate with that stay, I get extra mints on my pillow and extra towels in the bathroom, plus other amenities one might get only in luxury suites (I once had a vase of flowers placed on my dresser!!!).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 08:43:18 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2004, 08:45:13 AM »

Last night's "American Idol":  I'm glad they didn't drag the program out.  Instead, for every two minutes of program, we got a 6-minute station break.  Fair trade-off for less inanity, if you ask me.

Of course, there WAS the group Estefan number -- the less about which is said the better!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2004, 09:12:17 AM »

I actually thought Diana led that medley very well. For me, she was the overall best this week of all the contestants, and I was delighted that she was in the upper half of the vote getters.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2004, 09:18:09 AM »

DR Jed: The thought of you in this musical is making me laugh so hard.  I'm sorry to laugh at your misery.  But your story is just too good.  Break a leg.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2004, 09:24:50 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol

Well I was sad to see red-head go.

I was not surprised though with the top 3.  I was pretty sure that after last week, Fantasia and LaToya would be in the top group. And Diana was my favorite this week, so I expected her there as well.

I have two comments.

1. Why did they announce group A one after another?  I thought it was the stupidest thing they've ever done.  The whole excitement of it is having them put alternate contestants in each group.

2.  How on earth are people voting?  Either the power voters are going crazy, or people have no clue who they like.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 09:27:28 AM »

According to Rhino Handmade, the "LucyMame" soundtrack has completely sold out.  They have released about two dozen limited edition soundtracks over the last few years and to my knowledge this is the only one that has sold out.

Perhaps the Lucille Ball estate, aware of the quality of the soundtrack, wisely decided to by up all available copies (which is something my son, Jed, might want to consider for the video version of CHILDREN OF EDEN).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2004, 09:33:30 AM »

Hey, I forgot to mention--we had Gabe's last ostepath appointment yesterday and he is "officially healed."  And, I wasn't crazy (or at least, not about this)--our doctor was indeed a former NFL player for the Denver Broncos.  I knew I had recognized his name.  Is that weird or what?

Well, I knew John Elway wound find his true (or is it Tru) calling sooner or later.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 09:41:33 AM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  Love Elaine Stritch as Liat, perfect casting.  I will get to the Universal Monsters Collection soon, I promise.  Meanwhile, if any other dear readers have watched, please post your thoughts at The DVD Place (there's already a thread for it).

Countdown to 40,000 posts - we might make it today, but not if we continue at this pace.  This pace is slooooooow.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 09:43:32 AM »

Worst cast scenario for South Pacific:

Glenn Close, Harry Connick, Jr., ......

Oh.  Never mind.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 09:48:44 AM »

I've wiped out that TV version - the horror is coming back.  How about an all-Black cast?  Whoopi Goldberg as Nellie, James Earl Jones as Emile, Puff Daddy as Lt. Cable.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2004, 09:48:58 AM »

And one for Mahler.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up