Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KEY TO THE NOTES  (Read 86433 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE KEY TO THE NOTES
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2004, 07:54:54 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....I think that strange credit for APPLAUSE had something to do with a royalty arrangement whereby the copyright owner of the material ALL ABOUT EVE (the movie) 20th Century Fox was getting a royalty and its writer was not because only elements from the original story were used in the play (though embellished) - no character created specifically for the movie was in the play (i.e. Addison DeWitt), and a larger royalty would have had to go to Mankiewicz.

I HATE that they cut out Addison DeWitt.  One of the all-time great villains.  

I do like the score to Applause though, dated as it is.

François de Paris

« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2004, 08:00:30 PM »

For those who care and who can understand French, here is today's show about Sondheim; -- see one of my previous posts! --
Just click on "écouter" to get the show running: it's dedicated to Follies, and Liliane Montevecchi confides she hated doing her song because of the wait to perform that would give her stagefright.
A few times she completely blocked out, not remembering the first words -- New York... -- and thought she'd have a heart-attack -- she says it in English "J'ai failli avoir un heart-attack!".

She even once run of the stage and cried; they had to stop the show, and get her back.....
Aaah, aahhh, aaahhh, Paris!

http://www.radiofrance.fr/chaines/france-culture2/emissions/chemins_musique/index.php?emission_id=72

You'l have to paste everything back on one line!

François de Paris

« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2004, 08:01:46 PM »

François de Paris

« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2004, 08:03:27 PM »

Nevermind; the URL is much longer when I "copy" it....

As such it works!
Yeah!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2004, 08:04:40 PM »

BK as Bloody Mary - now THAT'S comedy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2004, 08:18:23 PM »

BK as Bloody Mary - now THAT'S comedy.

I'd be there in a second!  And if you had a great success, you could take on other Juanita Hall roles like Madame Liang in FLOWER DRUM SONG, and then DR MBarnum would come to the theatre for someone else besides Tom Wopat.
However, I do believe there are many roles I'd love to see you do.

Maybe Guy Haines could be persuaded to do a full album of Kritzer songs?  Since Barnes and Noble only sells the Kritzer books and not the CDs, I don't have the first two collections.  I liked the "Guy and Dolls" idea because of the title and concept, but I could see Guy giving Sinatra and Connick a run for their money on something like "A Wonderful Guy:  Haines does it to Rodgers and Hammerstein"  or "A Guy Like That:  Haines mixes with Bernstein."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2004, 08:24:36 PM »

246 posts today!  This is good.  This is also good night!  Sleep well, all.

I have my fingers crossed, Dear Friend BK!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #247 on: April 29, 2004, 08:40:47 PM »

Good Evening!

WOW!  I go to the show tonight, and I come back to such a celebration!  40,000 posts!!  Partay! Partay! Partay!

-And welcome back François!  Comment çava?

As for how I found HHW... I believe it was a banner link on Sondheim.com...  I'm not sure when I came on here to the "new board", but I know there was a little lag between the "old board" and now...???

In any case, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time on here - and it's always nice coming back after my various hiatuses (sp?) for various reasons.

-And there truly is nothing like H/K Vibes!  Good for anything that ails ya'!

(Hmmm.. "ails" looks so strange when you/I type it out - ???)

Well, the two-show day today really tuckered me out.  Actually, I'm finally realizing just how sick I was the past two weeks.  I really have to watch myself from hour to hour - make sure I eat properly, make sure I rest, make sure I don't push myself too much.  But I know I'm making progress, and now that weather is finally supposed to be truly warming up, that should help with my recuperation.  -And, of course, make sure I'm receptive to all those wonderful H/K Vibes!

So.. I'm off to bed shortly....

Once again, Congratulations on breaking the 40,000 mark!

50,000 - Ready or Not, Here We Come!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #248 on: April 29, 2004, 08:47:30 PM »

I'm a little early for the media check, but I've listening today to the film soundtrack of FLOWER DRUM SONG recently released on CD.

Did someone forget to put in the bass? It sounds very treble-centered to my ears.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #249 on: April 29, 2004, 08:56:03 PM »

I was so glad to get it DRMATTH, I gave them pass on it.  I compared it to the album, and the levels are pretty much the same.  Maybe they didn't have much time or money to deal with it.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2004, 08:59:23 PM »

Yes, I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I'm glad to have it for sure, especially since it looks like we won't be getting the movie on DVD any time soon. My taped-off-AMC (when it was a decent movie channel) letterboxed tape will have to tide me over for now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #251 on: April 29, 2004, 09:18:51 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY 40,000!!![/move]

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #252 on: April 29, 2004, 09:28:49 PM »

Wish I could stay up and post till the bovines return to their abode along with the rest of y'all, but I've had this low-grade headache all day and I need to go to bed.  I just wanted to say congrats to us all and to thank everyone here for being the wonderful folk that you are, and BK for creating the vibes that let us all thrive and groove!  Keep on keepin' on, people!  To 50, 000 and beyond!

BTW (internet lingo!), anyone who is at all interested in All About Eve should read all about "all about eve" by Sam Staggs.  A fun and dishy book that goes into all the details about this movie (and about the creation of Applause, too.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #253 on: April 29, 2004, 09:32:04 PM »

Nine thousand, eight hundred and eighty to go.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #254 on: April 29, 2004, 09:43:18 PM »

I well remember the good old days of The Real A at Sondheim.com.  There was a time when BK and I were the only ones writing columns for that site.  Now they don't have anyone writing columns, just their chat board.

Such is life.  The good old days are not old, they are here at HHW.

And I mean that.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #255 on: April 29, 2004, 10:01:36 PM »

If anyone wants to see pictures of Dame Julie taken at the same book fair DRBK attended, go to

http://www.julieandrews.co.uk/news.htm

and click, if you please, on "latest news"...
Scrolldown and enjoy the many pics at diverse events!

Ain't this site resourceful?
Only at HHHW.com, I tell ya!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2004, 10:08:53 PM »

Well... Just catching some of the "early" reviews of Bombay Dreams on the web...  So far, my favorite quotes are from the USA Today review...

"Lloyd Webber is only Dreams' producer, but he has a fellow spirit in A.R. Rahman, whose music, a syrupy stew of faintly spiced pop clichés, suggests the equivalent of a Big Mac sprinkled with curry powder."

and...

"It's tough to say whose lines are lamer: librettists Meera Syal and Thomas Meehan or lyricist Don Black, whose contributes this doozy, sung by Akaash to his fellow villagers: "I'll come back with china plates for you to eat on/Some Persian rugs for you to wipe your feet on/And a toilet that has a toilet seat on." "

Of course, there's also the headline:

"'Bombay Dreams': A plain old bomb"

DR MBarnum - ???

We shall see what happens...

OK - Now I'm off to <yawn> bed...

Goodnight.  Bonne nuit.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2004, 10:10:06 PM »

Wonder if we'll get to Page 10 on this special day?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2004, 10:40:03 PM »

We won't get to page 10 with WUSSBURGERS, let me tell you that.  

I just watched a motion picture on DVD, one I somehow had missed all these years.  A great film on so many levels with some of the best performances I've ever seen.  How about them eggrolls, Mr. Goldstone.  I'll have a bit to say about it in tomorrow's notes.

Until then, let's kick this partay into gear, shall we?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2004, 10:40:15 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Panni

« Reply #260 on: April 29, 2004, 10:46:19 PM »

Ten?

Panni

« Reply #261 on: April 29, 2004, 10:47:18 PM »

No...  Good thing I didn't do the dance.

Panni

« Reply #262 on: April 29, 2004, 10:49:40 PM »

My back is killing me (the LAPD should really know about this) - so I'm going to take a break from the desk. Will be back in a bit.

Panni

« Reply #263 on: April 29, 2004, 10:52:11 PM »

According to my calculations -- only 7 more after this to Page 10 - so we'll definitely get there.

Tomovoz

« Reply #264 on: April 29, 2004, 11:06:35 PM »

If your calculations are correct there are only six more now. Must go check out my recent "media" playlist to post in a couple of hours. I have just been shopping and came home with "It's A Mad Mad Mad World". I don't think I have seen it. My memories tell me I saw "The Great Race" and not this or "Those Magnificnent Men..."
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #265 on: April 29, 2004, 11:15:23 PM »

Well, given those three films, I've never really cared for IaM4W.  Just not my horserace.

When the other two films came out, I was more impressed with Those Magnificent Men... but it hasn't aged well.  The pacing is dreadfully slow.  On the other hand, The Great Race hasn't lost any of it's luster.  If anything, it is shinier now than it was originally.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2004, 11:19:18 PM »

Der Brucer has all sorts of plans for what he wants me to concoct in the kitchen.  Tonight, we returned to the Crab Barn for their lobster special.  He's insisting that we collect lobster shells, so I can try my hand at making lobster bisque.  That means having to eat lobster, of course.  

It would help if I had a recipe for bisque.  But that's a picky little detail.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2004, 11:19:58 PM »

So close and yet so far.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2004, 11:20:13 PM »

Or should that be so far and yet so close?

Panni

« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2004, 11:21:52 PM »

So far and yet so close...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up