Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST OF APRIL  (Read 89830 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LAST OF APRIL
« on: April 30, 2004, 12:00:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've noted the notes, the notes have noted you and we are all in agreement that we must post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 12:08:19 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LAST OF APRIL
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 12:02:47 AM »

And we can continue the fershluganah frenzy right now.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 12:05:17 AM »

So where's the fershluganah frenzy?

Jed

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 12:07:04 AM »

The frenzy was busy reading the new notes, of course!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 12:10:42 AM »

I agree - GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT is a superb movie. Question: Is there any film of Gregory Peck's in which he was less than wonderful? When I was a kid I thought THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO was THE most romantic film ever! I really wanted to share a tent with Gregory Peck.

Panni

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 12:12:40 AM »

Soon I need to retire and read. Have a waiting stack of scripts, magazines, books -- perhaps even sleep at some point.

Jed

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 12:13:42 AM »

Media check...

DVD: empty
VCR: tape of last night's The West Wing, along with tonight's CSI and Without a Trace
CD: Children of Eden (for a bit of lyric review this morning), She Loves Me, Sunday in the Park with George

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 12:20:15 AM »

Currently in the DVD stack:

Master and Commander, which we did not see in the theaters.

Big Fish, which we did.

And Titanic, which we also did, but didn't get around to getting the DVD until now.

Titanic is ultimately a chick flick.  That's why teenage girls kept seeing it over and over and over and over.  But it works as a chick flick.

Big Fish is moderate Tim Burton.  Some people don't do Burton well.  I do, about half the time, when he isn't filming stuff like Mars Attacks.  How could he have made a film titled Mars Attacks and not have Kenneth Mars in the film, attacking things?  I can understand why the people who don't care for Burton don't care for Big Fish, but it tickled my whimsey.

Master and Commander is a film der Brucer wanted to see.  I'm pretty sure that's because of his years in the Navy, and not because the title thrills him.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 12:22:18 AM »

CD - Stephane Grappelli Plays Jerome Kern
DVD - zip
VCR - Get Your Teddy Ready (Lamb Chop's Play Along) - a bit of nostalgia - the lovely daughter is on it and I watched the credit sequence the other day to see her as a little kid.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 12:22:49 AM »

Media check...
...Children of Eden (for a bit of lyric review this morning)...Sunday in the Park with George
"It's hot up here.
My fig leaf's prone to falling off."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 12:24:11 AM »

Off I go. Good-night all and congratulations on the 40,000, Page 11 and over 300 posts. A stellar day!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 12:26:10 AM »

Currently in the DVD stack:
And Titanic, which we also did, but didn't get around to getting the DVD until now.

Titanic is ultimately a chick flick.  That's why teenage girls kept seeing it over and over and over and over.  But it works as a chick flick.

You got that right!  My niece (who just turned 20 last week) PAID to see "Titanic" in the movie theater 21 times! :o And she paid for me to take her (she doesn't drive) 4 times.  Of course, she only went to matinees, but still...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura II

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 12:29:31 AM »

In my media players--nothing, but I want to put on my DVD of My Girl--too lazy/tired to do so, though.

Sunday in the Park with George is running through my head thanks to Jed. I don't say that because the fact that he's listening to it triggered the songs in my mind. I say it because, if it weren't for him, I wouldn't have been exposed to the show and the score at all. Yay for Jed and his recent kindness! Oh, now, that implies that he's only been kind recently. That's not what I mean at all, although I definitely *did* see his post about most people here on HHW being like aunts, uncles, and cousins, except for a few women that he won't view in that way in case he has a chance to meet them. To that, I say, "Ugh, such a guy!" :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 12:30:41 AM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 12:29:47 AM »

Congratulations to all (on 40,000+) and to all a good night!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 12:35:24 AM »

To that, I say, "Ugh, such a guy!" :)

Try as I might to fight it... guilty as charged! :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 12:35:53 AM by Jed »

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 12:37:35 AM »

DVD player: Still watching "Six Feet Uner" series one.
CDs: 1. Amanda McBroom "Dreaming"
         2. Barbara Cook "Live From London"
         3. The Songs of John Bucchino "Grateful".
RECORD PLAYER
              Walter Brennan "Mama Sang A Song" LP
                                         "Old Rivers" 45 rpm

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 12:42:04 AM »

Tomovoz: I think it might be safe to assume that you might just be the only human being on the planet listening to a Walter Brennan album

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 12:50:34 AM »

Walter Brennan has a song on the album "Houdini" - it is about a "Big Fish". It's preferable to the movie!

I have had three requests to record "Old Rivers" this week. Strange but true!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2004, 12:51:37 AM »

This is a link between the Cd's mentioned! Not to Walter Brennan but to each other.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004, 04:04:19 AM »

Good morning, all!  Such a day yesterday!  Since I signed on to HHW, Dear Friend BK, like Henry V, has been rallying the troops to get over the 135 (?) hump, and I awake this morning to see over 300 posts.  Wow!  Such a day.

So, TOD:

CD:  Judy Collins 3 & 4, new recording of Saint-Saens'  CARNIVAL OF THE ANIMALS and other chamber pieces, Streisand's STONEY END, Don MacLean; I'm having a real nostalgia blitz, possibly a result of the Vietnam - sorry, Iraq - conflict?
VCR:  This week's SOPRANOS
DVD:  My friend Cathie and I are on an opera craze:  I've got Yvonne Kenney's MERRY WIDOW, Renee Fleming's RUSALKA (Eurotrash and infuriating), Handel's JULIUS CAESAR to get through
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2004, 04:58:28 AM »

Oh, my. I go away at 4pm yesterday (NY time) and don't log on again until this morning and I find 311 posts. I just finished reading them. What a party I missed. Oh, well. I'm still here (a Follies reference or a Sondheim reference or is that the same thing???).

I'm not listening to it right now but since the dates and one of the stars of the upcoming revival of Pacific Overtures was just announced (B.D. Wong will be playing the Reciter) when I come back to the office from lunch I will bring said CD with me and listen again to this brilliant and amazing show (as always IMHO - in my humble opinion).

Since Channel 21 (the Long Island PBS Station) has begun another fundraiser there was no Twos Company last night so we have nothing in the VCR.

Right now at the office I'm listening to La Cage and Michael Feinstein-Isn't It Romantic

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2004, 05:59:09 AM »

Good morning all!

Does anybody else have any comments about BIG FISH?  I really want to see it (and LOVE ACTUALLY).  

In my VCR was last night's 2 hour season finale of Tru Calling.  Very good.  Very sad.  They had promo'd it as havint "a shocking twist".  Comments like that always make me curious.  I won't say it was shocking, or unexpected (my dad & brother-in-law are obsessed with the show and had already figured out the plot twist), but it was a very good finale.

Anybody know if the show is picked up for next year?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2004, 06:12:00 AM »

Wow!  The non-Wussburgers certainly outdid themselves last night with the 300+ posts!  Absolutely amazing and on a Thursday night, no less!  I can't seem to stop using exclamation points!

Me media check:

DVD:  Currently, there is nothing in the tray.  But sometime this weekend I'll put in either Big Fish or start on the Universal Monsters set.  I want to watch these in chronological order, so I'll be starting with either Dracula or Frankenstein once I figure out which was released first.  I hope these are sucessful in sales so that we get the Mummy movies, too.

VCR:  Just a blank tape, I think.

CD (home):  The OCR of The Pajama Game.

CD (work):  I am just about to plop in the new Loretta Lynne CD.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2004, 06:17:08 AM »

Seriously weird these days. Good morning America. 11.15pm here and I am off to bed.
Just watched "It's a Mad Mad World" - slow start but still quite an amusing movie if you can put yourself back in a 60's mind set. "Rat Race" owes a lot to it I guess.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 06:17:45 AM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2004, 06:19:38 AM »

5 guests and 5 users (4 if Tom actually does hit the hay - hey did the hay ever hit you, stop hitting!!!) and 40,202 messages (counting this one). At this rate we will hit 50,000 in no time and then what a party will ensue. I sound like John Kerry - thrice, ensue, so sue me, sue me, what can you do me, I love you (HHW, that is).

Panni

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2004, 06:34:18 AM »

Good morning. Great partay last night! Off for a walk before the heat hits. (Or the hit heats.)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2004, 06:47:44 AM »

CD/Work: Rosemary Clooney "Show Tunes"
CD/Car: SCARLET PIMPERNEL 1.0 (for some reason this show is a big guilty pleasure of mine)
VCR: Last Night's FRIENDS and WILL&GRACE (Or, more appropriately WILL &NO GRACE)
DVD: Empty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2004, 06:51:11 AM »

5 guests and 5 users (4 if Tom actually does hit the hay - hey did the hay ever hit you, stop hitting!!!) and 40,202 messages (counting this one). At this rate we will hit 50,000 in no time and then what a party will ensue. I sound like John Kerry - thrice, ensue, so sue me, sue me, what can you do me, I love you (HHW, that is).

We could probably approximate when the 50,000 mark will occur.  We would need to check the stats of each current user and see what their posts-per-day average is and calculate from there.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2004, 06:53:23 AM »

CD - Some classic Rodgers & Hart with the original casts
from the 20s to the 40s; also FINIAN'S RAINBOW which I see tomorrow (and yes, BK, I read that the Bromo Seltzer scene has been totally eliminated)

DVD - So much new (with BELLEVILLE and the Marx Brothers out Tuesday) but I'm watching the recently released DVD of 12 "I Married Joan" episodes

VHS - SHOW BOAT from the 30s with Irene Dunne et. al.

Though not officially announced, Encores! is allegedly doing ANYONE CAN WHISTLE next season.

I am not a big Bollywood fan, and therefore have no desire to see BOMBAY DREAMS.  I was not at all surprised to see how bad the reviews were, and I loved the one that says the BOMB in the title is the best description of it.

BK, I totally agree with both of your reviews today.  Did you realize that you were watching it on Celeste's 85th birthday?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2004, 07:33:58 AM »

WEL - does the IMJ episodes include the one with the moosehead?  Or the one with some of the funniest physical comedy I ever saw Joan do:  she gets a mannequin leg stuck on her arm and walks around with it between her legs.  As one critic of the show said, though, each IMJ episode had as much story as six episodes of anything else!

DVD - The Red Shoes
VCR - WB Shows including 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6, Hawaiian Eye thanks to MBARNUM
CD - The Sondheim Album
Record Player - Marjorie Morningstar Soundtrack

TOVOZ - used to be you could always get a laugh by ending a list with Walter Brennan's song title:

Who was at the party?  Jed, Laura, BK, MBarnum, Panni, that mule, Old Rivers, and me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up