Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TRA LA, TRA LA, THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY  (Read 78171 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TRA LA, TRA LA, THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2004, 08:16:21 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2004, 08:26:17 AM »

Wonder what the most valuable DVD is at the moment?

I'm guessing LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS that has the original ending. Any others that folks know for a fact are in short supply and being searched for by fans?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2004, 08:31:46 AM »

I got to NYC about 5 minutes after Follies closed, and have been depressed about it ever since.  So that would be my choice.

I had tickets to the original She Loves Me. But it closed, without any real notice, before I got to see it. I was getting my refund as they carted out the sets - very sad. Years later I saw the revival with Sally Mayes as Ilona. It was a sweet production, but lacking in real magic. I did get to see Barbara Cook twice in Toronto. She sang several songs from She Loves Me, and that was some consolation. But I know what you mean about feeling depressed, JMK.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2004, 08:35:23 AM »

Re:  Little Shop.  As with all these "rare" DVDs, etc., that get listed with great regularity on eBay, it's a crapshoot on how much they'll go for.  I got my Little Shop on eBay several years ago for a mere $25.00, more or less what I would have paid for it in a store.  But I have seen them go regularly for upwards of $100.  I am continually amazed by the lack of logic on eBay--I have listed incredibly rare items that fail to get a bid, and watched as readily available items are fought over in bidding wars that get the ultimate sale price to stratospheric levels.  I guess that's part of the fun.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

William E. Lurie

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2004, 08:36:03 AM »

So many shows that would have been on my list five or six years ago have been done by Encores!, Musicals in Mufti or Musicals Tonight (everything from KELLY to 70 GIRLS 70 to BLOOMER GIRL) that the list has been narrowed down.  ANYONE CAN WHISTLE is (allegedly) being done by Encores! next season.  I guess I'd say one that I'd still love to see is WHOOP UP!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2004, 08:42:37 AM »

I have been to Moscow;

It's very gay.

Well anyway

On the first of May!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2004, 08:45:10 AM »

Despite several tries, I could not get to page 2 of today's column, Dear BK.  The Unseemly Button seems to be in a very unseemly mood today.

Could you (or a Dear Reader) kindly relay its gist, including the topic of the day?  Humble thanks.

Michael

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2004, 08:46:46 AM »

I remember driving to NYC from Montreal. We left just before midnight May 11, 1983 and arrived around 8am May 12, 1983. I had planned to see Dance A Little Closer. Which became Close a Little Faster. It opened and closed on May 11th. Missed it by 12 hours!!!
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2004, 08:47:23 AM »

clear you cache and try it.  is anyone else having a prob?

Michael

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2004, 08:52:14 AM »

I also would to have liked to seen a Doll's Life as A Doll's House is  a favorite play of mine. There was some beautiful music in yhe show. I understand it was reworked and they dropped what was in my opinion the best song in the show. Nora's "11 o'clock number (5 o'clock on matinees) Can You Hear Me Now?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 09:22:12 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2004, 09:15:34 AM »

DR Jay,

Check your e-mail (but hopefully you've resolved the today's notes prob).

Jay

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2004, 09:23:53 AM »

Very strange.  I cleared my cache.  No luck.  No new e-mail waiting for me, either.  

I have to run right now, but will check back when I return this afternoon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2004, 09:39:56 AM »

DR JAY - TOD is the movie, play, and musical you haven't seen that you would most like to...see.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2004, 09:43:48 AM »

GOOD MORNING-WOODY and DER BRUCER et al

Mosey over to BroadwayWorld.com and see and hear a song from the planned Musical of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN performed by Marc Shaiman called FIFTY CHECKS. This was at a benefit for Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman at a Bound Brook,New Jersey Benefit.

Woody and Der Brucer I know you were there!!
That's the benefit we went to, and that's the song!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2004, 09:47:13 AM »

BK, I am dealing with your recorded legacy right now--I'm doing a reader's theater presentation of Bells Are Ringing, with Adair Chappell (who sang Judy in Starcrossed) starring and directing.  Adair is in love (with a man, double oh--oh, never mind) with your Faith Prince recording, which of course has new arrangements which do not match the published score.  So guess who gets to recreate them?   ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2004, 10:02:36 AM »

Good Morning!

I would love to see a fully, over-the-top, budget is no concern production of Follies.  -Well, I would have loved to seen the original.  But since I would have only been about four or five years old at the time... Hmmm...

Strangely enough, I've never seen a Jerry Herman show on stage.  I've had the opportunity to see some community theatre productions in the past, but... And I wasn't keen on seeing Carol Channing in her various and sundried Hello, Dolly! tours.  One of the guys in Eden just got cast in the La Cage revival, so, maybe I'll see that.  However, I would love to see Mack & Mabel - happy and/or sad ending.

OK - Well, I puttered around the apartment this morning, and now I need to get ready to head in for the matinee.  -Something tells me I'll be taking advantage of that Equity cot between shows again today.

Laters...

Congratulations, New Daddy Mark Bakalor!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 10:04:19 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2004, 10:03:58 AM »

Der Brucer and I have seen Anyone Can Whistle, in Los Angeles.  Not in a spectacular, first class production, but it's not a first class show.  Still, it was enjoyable.

I would have loved to see the original production of Follies.  On the other hand, we saw the London rewrite, which not everyone can claim.  I'd also love to see a good live production of A Little Night Music, although we have the New York City Opera (or was it the Met) production on tape somewhere.  Pacific Overtures we saw in London, a matinee the same day as Follies in fact.  Company I saw in college, with a young Bob Westenberg in the lead.  Merrily We Roll Along was another college production, original script, when I was living in Fullerton.  Come to think of it, the only Sondheim I haven't seen in some form are Saturday Night, Do I Hear a Waltz, and Assassins, and the last we'll be seeing in June.

I really would like to see a good production of Lady in the Dark, but feminists today would be screaming about the ending, I'm sure.

I remember seeing Porgy and Bess on television when I was wee/spring/twig.  Don't know how the Gershwin people let that screening slip by.

Set the way-back machine to 1936, Sherman, and load everybody in, because we're going to London to see Noel Coward and Gertrude Lawrence in Tonight at 8:30, all three nights worth!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2004, 10:08:02 AM »

BK-

ANYONE CAN WHISTLE..I saw every performance in New York. I don't know if it was 7 or 9, The Show worked for me.

JMK

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2004, 10:12:36 AM »

Who was the wag who said if everyone who claims to have seen Anyone Can Whistle actually had, it would have run forever?  :)

Emily

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2004, 10:13:45 AM »

Congratulations Mark! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

VinTek

• Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2004, 10:35:38 AM »

The net is still acting a little odd and I still get some pop ups.

Danise, get Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy.  Both do a good job of detecting spyware and eliminating random pop-ups (as opposed to those that are strictly associated with a site you're visiting) and both are free.  Post back if you need more information.
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again
- Marin County newspaper listing for The Wizard of Oz

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2004, 10:58:07 AM »

Wonder what the most valuable DVD is at the moment?

I'm guessing LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS that has the original ending. Any others that folks know for a fact are in short supply and being searched for by fans?

I have this! :D

Re:  Little Shop.  As with all these "rare" DVDs, etc., that get listed with great regularity on eBay, it's a crapshoot on how much they'll go for.  I got my Little Shop on eBay several years ago for a mere $25.00, more or less what I would have paid for it in a store.  But I have seen them go regularly for upwards of $100.  I am continually amazed by the lack of logic on eBay--I have listed incredibly rare items that fail to get a bid, and watched as readily available items are fought over in bidding wars that get the ultimate sale price to stratospheric levels.  I guess that's part of the fun.

Several years ago, within a week of each other, two copies Betty Buckley's first CD (on Rizzoli, not the reissue) sold for $304 and $305!  (I bought it new for probably $13.)  I've never seen the vinyl album go for more than $25.  (However, I paid more than $25 for my "special edition" DVD of Little Shop of Horrors. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2004, 11:00:36 AM »

As for today’s official Topic of the Day:  “What plays, musicals and movies that you’ve never seen are you most dying to see?”  I’ve never seen Something’s Afoot.  I’ve heard that it’s pretty darned funny.

Specific performances of shows that I’d love to see:  any (every?) original production of every Sondheim show (duh)...although a friend of mine has a videotape of the original Merrily We Roll Along!
the Japanese production of Pacific Overtures, performed in Japanese
the opening night performance of the original Show Boat
the original production of A Chorus Line
Mack and Mabel with Bernadette and Robert

I can’t think of any movies that I’m dying to see.  Maybe later in the day.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2004, 11:18:03 AM »

Tomovoz I’m sure glad you figured out I meant Danise’s computer and not Danise.  I guess it was my comment about the pop-ups that did it.  Sorry, I didn’t explain that better, but of course I knew what I was talking about.

Elmore, I think it was you who mentioned a Chinese restaurant in NY with good bean curd.  Not that it was actually a vegetarian restaurant.  If I can get to NY in October to see my nieces, and also meet you and the rest of the NY HWW gang, I doubt Keith will be with me.

Mark Bakalor CONGRATULATIONS!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2004, 11:31:51 AM »

JRand-great first post dance :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2004, 11:58:31 AM »

LOL Thanks, Jane!

JMK I love Bells Are Ringing!  And of course Mr BK's CD!  In fact, I'm going back....back....to the Bonjour Tristesse Brassiere Company.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2004, 12:22:06 PM »

Now, waiddasecond here!   :o

Der Brucer and I were at the Bound Brook benefit, where Marc Shaiman was performing to help raise funds for the Brook Arts Center.

Craig Brockman was clearly also at the benefit; how else could he have got the pics and the concert details to publish over at BroadwayWorld.com?  

And everyone was given name tags as they entered the reception hall, so Der Brucer was tagged with his name, and I was tagged with mine.

And Brockman couldn't even be bothered to come over and say hello?  

I mean, it's one thing that our esteemed BK didn't recognize us the first time we met, because he didn't know who we were and we didn't know who he was.

But der B and I were wearing nametags this time!

That does it, from now on whenever I go someplace I'm going to wear a neon sign, just to make SURE people know who I am!

::)

Robin

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2004, 12:27:06 PM »

Who was the wag who said if everyone who claims to have seen Anyone Can Whistle actually had, it would have run forever?

Me.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

George

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2004, 12:35:05 PM »

Congratulations to Mr. Mark (the father) Bakalor!

I subscribe to the Sondheim list-serve newsgroup and he posted a URL to a website that he created which has pictures of his baby.  Does anyone who is also on the list-serve know the site?  I'm at work and I don't remember it.  But then, would it be inappropriate for someone other than Mr. Mark (the father) Bakalor to post the site URL?  Is this too public a place for that?  Just asking.  They are really cute pictures, though!

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2004, 12:36:39 PM »

Up at my buddy Mark's house in Wilsonville. Just finished watching The Lucille Ball Roast that DR JRand53 sent me. It was hilarious! That Totie Fields just cracks me up!

Shortly I will go to Tigard to my brother Jeff's house for my mom's surprise 75th birthday partay!

Topic of the day:

Like JRand53 I would most like to see Allison Hayes' HIGH POWERED RIFLE. I would also desire to see her film COUNTERPLOT, a film that seems to remain hidden from public view.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up