Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AUDACIOUS  (Read 10651 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: AUDACIOUS
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 07:27:23 AM »

I remember seeing PSYCHO for the first time at Seattle's Paramount Theater.

I think I still have scars from my dates' fingernails digging into my arm. 
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 07:33:56 AM »

TOD:

How far do you want to go back?

SUNRISE
CITIZEN KANE
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
THE GODFATHER
JAWS
STAR WARS
TITANIC
THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy

*I'm really not a fan of these films, but they did change cinema.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 07:35:39 AM »

Of course, I still say that the best movie to come out of Hollywood during the last 25 years is L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 07:42:29 AM »

! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR WOODY  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 07:44:42 AM »

TOD:  There was a time when I thought that NASHVILLE was the film that was going to change movies.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 07:45:57 AM »

Happy Birthday to SWW!

Thom

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 07:48:35 AM »

Happy Birthday, Woody.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept very late, around 10am, debating for the 15 minutes before that if I wanted to stay in bed the rest of the day, the rest of my life, or get up. I'm not sure if this lethargy/apathy means I'm coming down with something, still in depression, or simply regenerating after the big round of work last week.

I assumed it was the last, got out of bed, bathed, and dressed.  I'm having some breakfast and, after that. I need to go to the NYPL, and check some info on Historic Newspapersa Online, and record what I learn. When I get back, there should be an Office Depot order via UPS waiting for me.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday Wishes & Greetings to DR S Woody White !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 07:57:41 AM »

Of course, I still say that the best movie to come out of Hollywood during the last 25 years is L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

I concur.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »

TOD:

SUNRISE
CITIZEN KANE
THE GODFATHER
JAWS
STAR WARS
TITANIC

A very interesting list, of which I find over half not audacious in the way I consider a ground-breaking work to be - I'm thinking especially of Lord of the Rings trilogy, which, while I thought were okay, did nothing new, really, save for some good CGI characters.

Also, I don't find anything audacious about LA Confidential, although I do like the film.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »

NASHVILLE was audacious, wasn't it?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »

Oh....BONNIE & CLYDE.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:30 AM »

I'm up - I splurged last night and had a piece of chocolate mousse cake, but it didn't sit in my stomach well, so no more of THAT stuff late at night.  Hence, I've really been up since about six-thirty, just in bed.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »

OK, we're going back to the cardiologist's office this afternoon to have the nurse check this wrist.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 08:06:32 AM »

The fellow who did the earlier CD issue of Billy Barnes' L.A. has spoken up on that castrecl list, saying he was "surprised" to hear of our issue, and that HIS issue is readily available (yeah).  You know, somehow I don't think Mr. Barnes had it in mind that Mr. Cunard had an in perpetuity license, and since Mr. Barnes complained to me that he'd never received a penny from Mr. Cunard (and frankly he didn't even remember that a CD had BEEN released - only an LP reissue), he was most anxious for me to do it.  Mr. Cunard then goes on to say that he doubts we cleaned up the sound at all since he has the album master (WHY he has tapes belonging to Mr. Barnes is another story - his CD came out in 1996).  The bottom line, of course, is that I state clearly that we did clean up the sound as much as possible given the limitations of the original recording - I don't know how much clearer I could make it.  And I had Mr. Cunard's CD from which to master - all he did was do a straight digital transfer of Billy's tape - therefore there would have been no difference between Billy's tape and Mr. Cunard's CD - we, of course, did as much EQ work as we could within the limitations stated.  I could have had Billy get the tape back, but when I thought about it I thought, why bother?

Mr. Cunard's AEI label has not done a CD in years - he is effectively out of the business - he also said that his issue was also a limited edition of 1000 - really?  I must have missed that on the packaging.  And then there's the packaging - AEI's issue's packaging is, to put it kindly, amateur.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 08:17:52 AM »

Happy Birthday, S. Woody White!

I don't know much about films that changed cinema as such (The Lovely Wife[tm] is the cinema historian in the family), but movies that completely blew me away with their thematic or technical audacity include Life is Beautiful and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (the first time I wept with absolute joy after seeing a film)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »

TOD:

SUNRISE
CITIZEN KANE
THE GODFATHER
JAWS
STAR WARS
TITANIC

A very interesting list, of which I find over half not audacious in the way I consider a ground-breaking work to be - I'm thinking especially of Lord of the Rings trilogy, which, while I thought were okay, did nothing new, really, save for some good CGI characters.

Also, I don't find anything audacious about LA Confidential, although I do like the film.

Perhaps we need a clearer definition of what you mean by "audacious"?

I tend to agree with you on LOTR, but this trilogy (and the other pictures listed) did have a profound effect on how subsequent movies were made and/or marketed.   

I would also agree with other posters that both NASHVILLE and BONNIE AND CLYDE were "ground-breaking," as was PSYCHO.  Also EASY RIDER.

And, then there's PULP FICTION, which played with "3-act structure".

Audacious or not, L.A. CONFIDENTIAL is still one of the great ones.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »

Looks like the other CD is only available as MP3 files on Amazon.com

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »

BK,

Yesterday, you said that, based on the low Billy Barnes sales, you decided not to release 2 other albums.

Please share with us the names of those albums, so that if some of us are passionate about them, we can try to change your mind.

::)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »

Happy Birthday, S. Woody!  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 08:44:09 AM »

May I submit my theory that "Tom Jones" was an audacious triumph, especially for 1963.

It was funny, bawdy, shocking and tore down the doors for more "permissiveness" in mainstream film making.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »

Also, "Midnight Cowboy" rather blew the roof off "permissiveness" in a most audacious way, given the subject matter and its resultant awards, including Oscar.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »

Hi Woody, HAVE A HAPPY DAY!

Jane

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »

OK, we're going back to the cardiologist's office this afternoon to have the nurse check this wrist.

GOOD!  VIBES ALL IS WELL!!!

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »

Thanks, DR Jane!  I'm not overly concerned, but don't want to take any chances.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »

For me, audacious means that a film did something that no other film had done to that time and did it in a ground-breaking way that changed cinema or became oft-imitated by others.  Bonnie and Clyde is an excellent example as is 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

I also didn't mention in my notes, but I don't think anyone has seen the original Psycho since its first release because I believe the film had some brief edits made either for the 1965 or, more likely, 1969 reissue (the first time the film was rated by the MPAA).  There is a German site that has screencaps of these edited shots and I remember all of them (including more stabbing swipes in the Balsam murder - I remember counting them in the movie theater, and there is only one in the film now - which is NOT the way it was).  What this means is that I don't think any home video transfer, including this blu-ray, has been off the camera negative.  And I think the reason for that is that Universal would have to re-submit the film to the MPAA to attain a rating based on the original cut's extra footage - none of that would raise an eyebrow, but they'd have to do it, nonetheless, and I simply think they think people don't know, which is probably true.

Laura

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday, DR Woody!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »

How about STAGECOACH and WHITE HEAT (for its violence and the mother/son relationship)?

Jane

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »

Thanks, DR Jane!  I'm not overly concerned, but don't want to take any chances.

Bye for now!

I'm not an alarmist either, however under the circumstances it is best to be cautious.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2010, 09:06:11 AM »

Here's a link to the German site with the screencaps showing the deleted shots - Universal apparently aired in Germany what they called a "pre-censor" version - but I don't think that's accurate - I think they showed the original that was shown in the US and THEN edited for reissue, probably for the ratings board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up