Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CINCO DE MUSTARD  (Read 95828 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:CINCO DE MUSTARD
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2004, 02:22:09 PM »

Gee, I don't lead many standing ovations...have seen a LOT of them as DRROBIN says, because we are happy to see anything.

I lot of times I have felt soem individuals have deserved special consideration in the curtain call including Thomas James O'Leary in PHANTOM here in Indy a few years ago, the cast of LES MIZ who just worked so hard - I like that show, and a touring company of EVITA almost ten years ago that also worked very hard and did a great job.

Locally we get a few SO's at the barn theatre and Megan got several for her one-woman LUCY, deservedly so - they are more common place than they used to be - but I know as a performer, it's still exciting to see from the stage.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2004, 02:35:29 PM »

My films never show up on cable anymore because no one knows where to license them.  It's very convoluted, although I might try doing something about Nudie on the cable, where it was once a staple.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2004, 02:35:53 PM »

I am filled to the brim with the authentic foods of Meheeco.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2004, 02:36:16 PM »

Sometimes if I'm surfing and happen across Ellen I will watch for a while. The same with Oprah. I don't watch (or tape since I work during the day and sleep at night)  any of the others. Though I do really enjoy The Daily Show when I see it. It's funny and intelligent and John Stewart has the right amount of attitude for the presentation.

I love Ellen, but for some reason, I never got into watching her show the way I obsessively watched Rosie's.  However, I love The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.  Maybe it's because he's so damed cute! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2004, 02:36:29 PM »

Looks like we're going to try to keep The DVD Place going albeit with a name change.  I'll have more info shortly.

Jed

« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2004, 02:39:31 PM »

Standing ovations - Absolutely ridiculous how every performance gets them now.  As I've said before, I am frequently "the jerk who won't stand up," but I have absolutely no problem with it.  Glare at me all you want, I'm just being honest about my view of what I saw/heard.  Certainly, there are times I'll join in, but only when I find the performance worthy.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2004, 02:40:52 PM »

I am a great fan of The Daily Show... along with SportsCenter, it's what I miss most about cable.

Jed

« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2004, 02:42:49 PM »

Mmmm... all this talk of authentic foods of Meheeco has me hungry.  I think I shall be fixing some for myself this evening... perhaps something in the pork fajita category.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2004, 02:42:55 PM »

Last night's "American Idol":

LaToya -- Classy, elegant, and a stylist in her own right. She has a classic voice and her performance in "Big Band" was extraordinary, IMO.  She, too, could be the best, yet, "American Idol."  I'm damned if I can choose between them.  (I could NOT vote for LaToya last night.  I tried her line for an hour and 45 minutes and it was consistently busy).

I was blown away by LaToya, and I text messaged my vote.  Hey, it's only 10 cents!

Oooooooh! Got me!  Yes!  Indeedy!  Bacharach!!!

You have a delicate touch, Maya.  You should go into the diplomatic corps!

*giggles*

Quote from: Dan-in-Toronto

Happy Cinco de Mayo Maya

[quote

Hehe, thanks, Dan, you too!  I TOTALLY want some Mexican food right now.

Re Ken Mandelbaum, having seen both shows (actually all 3, Wicked, Caroline and Wonderful Town), I'm not so sure that it's a race just between Murphy and Pinkins.  I think Idina has a chance. Pinkins does an excellent job and her 11 O'clock number is quite wonderful but the show, for me, does not come together as a whole, thrilling piece worthy of a Tony. There are some wonderful, exciting pieces within the show (I enjoyed the humanizing of the appliances), and some good, solid performances but I just feel like it never gels into a complete whole evening. I wanted to like it so much. I think Pinkins is a great talent and I love the work of Kushner and Tesori but I'm just not attracted to this show. I've been thinking about it for a while now (I have to write a review of the show and condense it into 90 seconds, yikes!) and it's so hard to put my feelings about the show into understandable words. Suffice it to say, getting back to Mandlebaum, I don't think Pinkins will win. She will be nominated, absolutely, but I think the race is more between Menzel and Murphy. Chenowith is absolutely delightful. I adore her. She is charming and funny and has a gorgeous voice, (here's the but you're waiting for) but, she has a bag of tricks which she performs with amazing talent. I loved her performance in Wicked but as I watched, I thought, I've seen that before or I've heard that before. That's why I think it's between Miss Murphy and Miss Menzel. Menzel's Defying Gravity number is GREAT. I feel, after seeing all three performances that Menzel should win. I don't know if she will, but I think she should.

I feel like I'm rambling again so I will close out and get back to work.

I hope Donna Murphy wins!!!!!  I think it's between her and Idina personally--I don't think Tonya Pinkins has endeared herself to voters by the huge salary demands.  And while Kristin was phenomenal (I actually preferred her to Idina), the latter had a much showier role.  Though any of them could certainly take it!

My films never show up on cable anymore because no one knows where to license them.  It's very convoluted, although I might try doing something about Nudie on the cable, where it was once a staple.

You should definitely try for that, BK!  

Oh...and I forgot to mention before...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HOLLY LYNN!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 02:44:20 PM by Maya »

Jed

« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2004, 02:45:12 PM »

Goodness, I've become a mini-frenzy.  I've let our dear birthday boy George get far too far ahead of me in post numbers and must do some catching up! :D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »

Dan-in-TO - bk needs proof that not only crazy people (me) take walks in that wonderful huge cemetery in TO where Teresa Stratas' father, Glenn Gould, and other notables are buried. Near Bayview? Can't recall.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2004, 02:58:50 PM »

Dan-in-TO - bk needs proof that not only crazy people (me) take walks in that wonderful huge cemetery in TO where Teresa Stratas' father, Glenn Gould, and other notables are buried. Near Bayview? Can't recall.

Glenn Gould was the father of Teresa Stratas?  I never knew that.

;)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Robin

« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2004, 03:03:40 PM »

It's very convoluted, although I might try doing something about Nudie on the cable, where it was once a staple.

That's where I saw Nudie Musical.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2004, 03:04:20 PM »

Yes, her real name is Teresa Gould.  She married Humphrey Stratas and the rest is history.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2004, 03:26:27 PM »

What is this, our first Cinco de Mustard lull of the day?  No lulls, baby, what would our cousins from Meheeco think?

Panni

« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2004, 03:32:11 PM »

1) Panni, you were the one who said granny has not had made any effort of a relationship with your daughter for ten years.  Isn't that about half your daughter's life?  It seems to be if she still expects a birthday call from you to cheer her up, then there's a whole guilt/power game being played there I don't want to even get into.  It has nothing to do with being noble, good, proper, or karma.  Why feel obligated to "cheer" up a woman whose only real connection to you at this point is through your daughter whom she's apparently ignored for half the girl's life?  I don't get either the expectations or obligations of that from either side.

Pogue - And then we can put the topic to rest... You've made a more dramatic story of this than is the case. Understandable as that's what you (and I) fo for a living, but the fact is that I said in my initial post - and now wish I had not brought up the whole thing - that grandma had not visited with my daughter in over ten years, NOT that she'd made no effort at some kind of relationship. That part of the story comes from you. I can understand how you might infer that, but I certainly never said it. Grandma calls Rachel on holidays, special occasions, sends her presents for birthdays, Christmas, sometimes calls her just to chat, etc.. -- but she has made no effort to physically see her. That's what my initial vent was about. I even went back to check it just now - and that's what I said.
Furthermore, Grandma doesn't "expect" a call from me, nor do I feel obligated to call - that's something I simply choose to do. (As a matter of fact, I've just discovered that she's in Florida and I have no number for her there, so no call this year.) And none of this is because I'm "noble" --  "noble" is an adjective I would not ever think to place in front of my name. Nor is it because I'm being guilt tripped. That's not a game in which I would chose to take part. Anyway, the woman is not Jewish - even if she did try to guilt trip - which she doesn't - she'd be a hopeless amateur.
I hope all is clear now and the subject is exhausted. I certainly am.

Good luck with the writing - hope it turns out beautifully.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 03:36:19 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2004, 03:54:57 PM »

SWW - Sorry you didn't get the job! And don't get me started on Disney or we'll be here a LONG time.

Jay - As bk said, Teresa is Glenn's child. His love child, actually. He and Maria Callas.... One passionate night of high C's on the high seas. And the rest is history.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 03:56:26 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2004, 03:55:48 PM »

Dan-in-TO - Yes, I saw the ad and it spooked me. It thought it WAS Jack Cassidy.

Panni

« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2004, 04:05:12 PM »

Found the name of the cemetery where I used to take walks... Mount Pleasant Cemetery. As I looked at a Google list of some of the notables buried there, I found a few names of people I knew who were still alive when I was living in Toronto. Life goes on (a PALS reference!)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 04:22:21 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2004, 04:06:40 PM »

A posting frenzy of one. The foods of Meheeco are giving me super posting powers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2004, 04:08:35 PM »

More hot pies, more hot pies!  And one for Mahler.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2004, 04:08:35 PM »

DR Panni,

It's Mount Pleasant Cemetery, resting place of department store founders T. Eaton and R. Simpson; insulin discoverers Banting and Best; and Mary Pickford's family. I once rode my bike through the grounds and stopped at the Eaton Mausoleum. Squinting through the bars of a little window, I saw the most exquisite Persian carpet (with bird crap all over it). But not only the rich and famous are resting at Mount Pleasant. There's a section with little "condos" (seemingly favored by Chinese-Canadians). And a friend of mine from a prominent family arranged to have his late super buried there.

Panni

« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2004, 04:10:59 PM »

bk - Good that the DVD Place lives! What will you call it? I vote for Zoltan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2004, 04:13:01 PM »

We're limited by what domain names are available, which aren't all that many.  I've come up with about eight choices, and am waiting to hear what the consensus is.

Panni

« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2004, 04:16:36 PM »

It's Mount Pleasant Cemetery, resting place of department store founders T. Eaton and R. Simpson; insulin discoverers Banting and Best; and Mary Pickford's family.

And I found my old friend Charles Israel's name on the list, fairly recently added. A wonderful writer (THE MARK).  A scribe has snuck in with the department store heirs and the old Prime Ministers! He and Gould must be hanging out together.

bk - See! Dan rides his bike in there - so my walking there is not so nutty, is it now?

Panni

« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2004, 04:21:11 PM »

We're limited by what domain names are available, which aren't all that many.  I've come up with about eight choices, and am waiting to hear what the consensus is.

Just take my advice: Zoltan. As in Zoltan Karpathy. I can hear it now..."Let's check out Zoltan to see what Kimmel has to say about..."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2004, 04:27:02 PM »

So, eager not to miss a precious second of 24, I flipped on the TV a tad early, and they had clips of singers doing standards (and Crazy Little Thing Called Love, which isn't a standard by any measure) -- and several had pitch problems!  How is this possible?

One can only conclude that the producers of that program limit thier contest to folks they are certain will crack under pressure.  None of the 23 performers in our show in April missed a note.  What explains the near-misses I witnessed at 8:55 last night?

The theme of the show was "Big Band", but it was not restricted to "standards" as some wish to imply.  And the singers are "amateurs" and not professionals.

I'm sure they're all eager to venture into a world where no one is allowed to have a pitch problem...and apparently NEVER sings a wrong note during a performance.

I can't understand it, though -- it happens in professional theater more often than one would think...at least, it's happened in shows I've seen, and all of them came from, or went to, Broadway with casts intact.  

« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 05:34:01 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2004, 04:27:09 PM »

bk - See! Dan rides his bike in there - so my walking there is not so nutty, is it now?

The Hollywood Forever Cemetery off Santa Monica Boulevard makes for interesting walking, too.  Many of L.A.'s important families (the Chandlers and the Otises, for example, and I forget his first name Griffith, who shot his wife in the eye and gave the land to the city that is now Griffith Park) are in there, as are quite a few well-known folks from the entertainment industry.

You can wander in there on your own, or they give tours periodically.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 04:29:39 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2004, 04:43:38 PM »

Thank you Sandra and Jack and Matt H. and Noel and Robin for the birthday wishes!

Now how many more before 1000?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »

Two!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up