Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUPMOBILE  (Read 14251 times)

KevinH

Re: THE HUPMOBILE
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »

Watching America's Got Talent.  I saw Jackie Evancho for the first time last night.   I hope she does win.   I thought it was interesting that Sarah Brightman said that she hope she preserves her voice.  Maybe she's too young to be singing such demanding songs? 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »

Poor Debbie Allen! I thought she was a wonderful Anita in the early 1980s revival of WEST SIDE STORY and I enjoyed her performance as Charity in SWEET CHARITY, but being a talented performer doesn't mean you've got the talent to create for others. She really does suck as a director/choreographer. I can still remember the horror that was CARRIE: THE MUSICAL  all too clearly. DR Jose, you never have anything bad to say so I was floored!

Also, DR Jose! safe travel vibes today!

DR elmore - Well... I'll just put it this way:

-4 hour audition call.
-I arrived on time. She moseyed in eventually.
-40 singers were called. All of them had appointments.
-She knew the first singer. So that audition started off with 20 minutes of "sistah talk", and then, "Oh, I know you can sing chile! I'll just have them call you back later."
-Since we were now running late right for some "unknown reason", she decided to take a break to regroup so that she could figure out how to proceed with the rest of the afternoon.
-After a 20 minute break... She decided to call all of the singers back in to see how they "moved".  -Note: This was for a "stand behind music stands and sing" concert presentation.
-She had them move - which included some stuff on the floor. Note: none of the singers were told to "come prepared to move".
-She did not want any music during the movement portion.
-After 20 minutes of "interpretative" movement, she sent all of the singers back into the hallway. Again, remember, these singers had appointments, so, consequently, some of them were showing up "late", even when they weren't.
-Then she took a break since she was supposedly was expecting to get a call from "Denzel" and/or "Oprah".
-I finally played the piano for the first time about two hours after the audition call was originally scheduled to start.
-And then when another "old friend" walked into the room, there was another 10 minutes of "sistah talk"...
-And not once did she acknowledge me or say "Thank You" at the end of the day.

And so and so forth.  So, since she not only wasted my time that day, well...  Alas, I worked in close "proximity" to her for a few years after that.  I was not a part of those projects, but the complaints from everyone involved in those projects were in a very similar vein. Alas, it looks like nothing has changed.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »

*DR elmore - It takes a lot for someone to get on my bad side. Somehow, over the course of four hours, she did.  I could have dealt with her being dismissive to just me, but her total lack of respect for everyone else in the room is what did it.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »

I was just reading about TWIST - I thought it was a dance musical about the twist.....it seems to be Dickens' OLIVER TWIST set in 1928 New Orleans.....by the author of THE WIZ........

Well, the official opening is tonight, so... You bet I'll be scouring the Interwebs after midnight to check out some of the "official" reviews.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »

Nap time - performance tonight.

DR JRand - Congrats on the review! I hope you're feeling better, got a good nap and continue to Break Legs tonight!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »

I see that PROMISES PROMISES is closing in early January.

As is the revival of West Side Story.

-And Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert - The Musical went ahead and snatched up The Palace. They'll be starting previews February 28, and opening March 20, 2011.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »

I'm waiting to hear from the record producer about directions to the Academy at 155th Street.

You take the 1 train to 157th Street, and walk down two blocks. It's on the west side of Broadway. You can't miss it.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2010, 07:06:11 PM »

DR elmore - And while you're up there, you may want to check out El Caporal Fried Chicken. That's some damn good greasy and salty friend chicken! Just look for the gun-toting chicken on the sign.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »

DR JOSE - was your reaction to TWIST pretty much how the rest of the audience felt?

I guess about a third of the audience felt the way I felt.  The remaining two-thirds were "friends of the show". -And I'd say the house was only about 70% full last night.  I sat in the balcony, and only the first three rows had people in them. The sides of the orchestra were empty too.

*I will say that the Dance Arrangements by Arturo Sandoval(!!!) and the Orchestrations by Harold Wheeler(!) were pretty good.  Alas, their contributions were not a part of the flow of the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »

I'm waiting to hear from the record producer about directions to the Academy at 155th Street.

You take the 1 train to 157th Street, and walk down two blocks. It's on the west side of Broadway. You can't miss it.

I've been to the Academy. My Hanukka chart for the milken Archive was recorded there. I'm waiting to send directions to sixteen singers and one cellist as to which door to use and other instructions from the producer. She's not responded to any of my inquries since Sept 12 and it's working my last nerve.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »

Poor Debbie Allen! I thought she was a wonderful Anita in the early 1980s revival of WEST SIDE STORY and I enjoyed her performance as Charity in SWEET CHARITY, but being a talented performer doesn't mean you've got the talent to create for others. She really does suck as a director/choreographer. I can still remember the horror that was CARRIE: THE MUSICAL  all too clearly. DR Jose, you never have anything bad to say so I was floored!

Also, DR Jose! safe travel vibes today!

DR elmore - Well... I'll just put it this way:

-4 hour audition call.
-I arrived on time. She moseyed in eventually.
-40 singers were called. All of them had appointments.
-She knew the first singer. So that audition started off with 20 minutes of "sistah talk", and then, "Oh, I know you can sing chile! I'll just have them call you back later."
-Since we were now running late right for some "unknown reason", she decided to take a break to regroup so that she could figure out how to proceed with the rest of the afternoon.
-After a 20 minute break... She decided to call all of the singers back in to see how they "moved".  -Note: This was for a "stand behind music stands and sing" concert presentation.
-She had them move - which included some stuff on the floor. Note: none of the singers were told to "come prepared to move".
-She did not want any music during the movement portion.
-After 20 minutes of "interpretative" movement, she sent all of the singers back into the hallway. Again, remember, these singers had appointments, so, consequently, some of them were showing up "late", even when they weren't.
-Then she took a break since she was supposedly was expecting to get a call from "Denzel" and/or "Oprah".
-I finally played the piano for the first time about two hours after the audition call was originally scheduled to start.
-And then when another "old friend" walked into the room, there was another 10 minutes of "sistah talk"...
-And not once did she acknowledge me or say "Thank You" at the end of the day.

And so and so forth.  So, since she not only wasted my time that day, well...  Alas, I worked in close "proximity" to her for a few years after that.  I was not a part of those projects, but the complaints from everyone involved in those projects were in a very similar vein. Alas, it looks like nothing has changed.

You've got Ms Allen and I have Ms Clark. I've never met Ms Allen and now I have no urge to ever meet her.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »

Sleeping late is good for you.

Agreed.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »

You've got Ms Allen and I have Ms Clark. I've never met Ms Allen and now I have no urge to ever meet her.

Well... You also have Ms. Ebersole too. At least. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:07 PM »

I have met neither Ms. Allen nor Ms. Clark.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »

Well... You also have Ms. Ebersole too. At least. ;)

As long as it's all about her, she's charming. Otherwise, she's like Godzilla looking for Tokyo.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »

I have met neither Ms. Allen nor Ms. Clark.

Lucky you!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »

I'm as restless as a willow in a wind storm.

I'm getting really antsy about this recording commencing.

Ginny

« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2010, 07:38:29 PM »

Well, travel gear is out and ready for packing and clothes are somewhat sorted.  Think I'll quit for the night and read before I go to sleep - 'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2010, 08:02:29 PM »

And the newest "Top Chef" is...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »

I see that PROMISES PROMISES is closing in early January.

As is the revival of West Side Story.

-And Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert - The Musical went ahead and snatched up The Palace. They'll be starting previews February 28, and opening March 20, 2011.

So, Priscilla will be on Broadway at last....of course, that's not the Priscilla I dreamed about being on Broadway when I was a kid ..  ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »

I tried to give OUTLAW a chance....oh puhlese......

I like Jimmy Smits, but I won't be watching this anymore. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »

I tried to give OUTLAW a chance....oh puhlese......

I like Jimmy Smits, but I won't be watching this anymore. 

I watched one of the extended sneak-peeks of this one.. I agree... Oh, Puhlease!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »

And the winner of "America's Got Talent" is...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »

I very much enoyed  the PF clip BK thanks for posting it - I wll have to show it to vixter in the AM
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »

I am now caught up but after a 15 hour, no breaks no meals da I 'm too tired to post -  VIBES for all
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »

I am now caught up but after a 15 hour, no breaks no meals da I 'm too tired to post -  VIBES for all

DR vixmom - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pack some snacks for yourself tomorrow NOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »

And now I'm watching the first episode of "Top Chef - Desserts"...

And, yes, I'm getting hungry. Again. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »

DR vixmom - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pack some snacks for yourself tomorrow NOW!

WHAT HE SAID!!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »

In other news...

My niece and goddaughter, Emily, started pre-school the other day. Here she is on her first day of pre-school:

:) :) :) :) :)
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2010, 09:04:55 PM »

She's a really cutie, DR Jose.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up