Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUPMOBILE  (Read 14296 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HUPMOBILE
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were like a Hupmobile Touring car, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently driving around in a HupMOObile.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE HUPMOBILE
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:26:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: KENSPECKLE!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:26:07 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:18:29 AM »

I had so much fun doing my book trailer on iMovie a few weeks ago that I decided to do something else with the program.

This is a song that my son, David, and I did several years ago, the lyrics of which became the Preamble of my previous, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD, book.

It's just a scratch recording, but you will, hopefully, enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-YXBFLvjQ
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:38:03 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And my flight back to NYC leaves in just a little over four hours.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:43:55 AM »

And that's really about it for now from me. I need to re-organize my luggage, and then get ready to head back to ATL to go through their always long security line. So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:10:19 AM »

I like to keep my luggage organized in alphabetical order...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »

For DR Jane - Dana Delaney's new show BODY OF PROOF is going to be on Friday's at 9pm on ABC.  I'm not 100% sure when it starts. But I think the start date might be To be Determined.

Laura

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 06:43:42 AM »

I know someone who owns a Hupmobile.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 06:51:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: KENSPECKLE!

SPOO-ANOTHER REPEAT

And The Song Of The Day Is:   I'M THE GREATEST STAR

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 06:58:17 AM »

Of course we've heard of Hupmobiles: who doesn't know the immortal (sometimes revised) lyric from "Well Did You Evah?" - "Mrs. Smith, in her new Hup/ crossed the bridge while the bridge was up." (naturally, anyone not familiar with the song should immediately check out High Society and De-Lovely

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 07:05:32 AM »

Good Wednesday morning!
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 07:08:24 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept in till 8:15 and this has to stop: beginning tomorrow my life gets crazy. I did have two dreams I sort of recall: in one I was living in a penthouse apartment whose elevatir and hallway looked like the 9th floor offices at City Center and I was trying to get my roommate to listen to instructions about the apartment so I could go away for something. There were lots of phone calls and the young lady who was my roommate was preoccupied with them, In the second dream I was working at Goodspeed and talking to producer Michael Price, wh's been a good friend to me since my early Drama Book Shop days.

Poor Debbie Allen! I thought she was a wonderful Anita in the early 1980s revival of WEST SIDE STORY and I enjoyed her performance as Charity in SWEET CHARITY, but being a talented performer doesn't mean you've got the talent to create for others. She really does suck as a director/choreographer. I can still remember the horror that was CARRIE: THE MUSICAL  all too clearly. DR Jose, you never have anything bad to say so I was floored!

Also, DR Jose! safe travel vibes today!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have more recording functions today: schedules and maps/information for singers about getting to the Academy, getting into the Academy, etc.

I also got three work offers this morning and I have to fral with them and box up these cartons headed for Ohio.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:10:30 AM »

Of course we've heard of Hupmobiles: who doesn't know the immortal (sometimes revised) lyric from "Well Did You Evah?" - "Mrs. Smith, in her new Hup/ crossed the bridge while the bridge was up." (naturally, anyone not familiar with the song should immediately check out High Society and De-Lovely

Did you know, DR Elan, that the song "Well, Did You Evah!" with a few naughtier lyrics was first performed by Betty Grable and [film director] Charles Walters (Mr Porter's lover in the 30s) in DUBARRY WAS ALADY?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 07:16:17 AM »

BK-

Ask Day.

My College Education was at Carnegie Tech(Mellon) as a Drama Major(Dramat).

My Question-

Perfection.IMHO,is over-rated in the Performing Arts'

I firmly believe in Live Performances where the the Performer is working A "High Wire" Act. The Excitement comes from the chance of imperfections and the impefections make it exciting. That's why I like it Live..in any format-Theatre,Opera,Concerts,Cabaret Performances etc.Live Performances on TV(in the old days)where thrilling to me.Movies are great but they are pieced
together and reshot and edited to strive for Perfection.

I feel the same way about Recordings. Too Much Technical stuff {Hocus-Pocus)going on.

How Do You (and Other DR's) Feel About This Subject

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 07:19:24 AM »

Nice song, DR DRUXY....love the photos as well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 07:19:48 AM »

DR ELMORE - very exciting news about your work.....a theatre piece!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 07:20:32 AM »

DR JOSE - was your reaction to TWIST pretty much how the rest of the audience felt?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 07:20:58 AM »

Happy Belated Anniversary to DR CP and MRS CP.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:11 AM »

BK-

Ask Day.

My Question-

I firmly believe in Live Performances where the the Performer is working A "High Wire" Act. The Excitement comes from the chance of imperfections and the impefections make it exciting. That's why I like it Live..in any format-Theatre,Opera,Concerts,Cabaret Performances etc.Live Performances on TV(in the old days)where thrilling to me.Movies are great but they are pieced

I feel the same way about Recordings. Too Much Technical stuff {Hocus-Pocus)going on.

Thanks to the wonders of technology, we've been able to hear the likes of Marlon Brando, Lucille Ball (as "Mame") and Renee Zellwegger sing. Did we need any of these?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:42 AM »

My question for ASK BK DAY - was THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG filmed on the Disney lot - do they have a sound stage or sound stages there....or do they rent facilities.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 07:24:12 AM »

I am feeling a little better today.....I got some cough suppressants so that THE SHOW CAN GO ON tonight.

Yes, there is a possibility of a BEAUTY AND THE BEAST tour that put the KIBOSH on our planned production.....so our musicals have been changed to:

THE MUSIC MAN - to replace A GRAND NIGHT FOR SINGING, which I couldn't make anyone understand was a real show that our audiences would love....

CAMELOT - to replace BEAUTY AND THE BEAST....oh well.

The good part about it is, now there is NO show next year I am interested in directing....so I can take the summer off unless I want to be in something.

John G.

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »

Did you know, DR Elan, that the song "Well, Did You Evah!" with a few naughtier lyrics was first performed by Betty Grable and [film director] Charles Walters (Mr Porter's lover in the 30s) in DUBARRY WAS ALADY?
A much better score than critics have given it credit for being. I love "When Love Beckoned," "Do I Love You?" and "Katie Went to Haiti" as much as "Friendship." Would love a complete score one of these days, but not with the Encores! stars, Robert Morse and Faith Prince. Debbie Gravitte would be more my choice.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Elan

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 07:28:53 AM »

I might have known it at some point, but certainly didn't have it off the top of my head. My knowledge of Porter (as well as much pre- R&H music from the American Songbook) is woefully incomplete, and someday I'll organize my copious spare time to filling in the gaps.

John G.

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 07:31:42 AM »

I might have known it at some point, but certainly didn't have it off the top of my head. My knowledge of Porter (as well as much pre- R&H music from the American Songbook) is woefully incomplete, and someday I'll organize my copious spare time to filling in the gaps.
Expect to have plenty of fun.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 07:40:22 AM »

BK-

Ask Day.

My Question-

Some movies are a high wire act, my first being one of them :)  And even though we work really hard on the recordings, what I strive for is to make it SOUND like it's live and happening spontaneously - I've pieced together vocals from several takes very carefully only to have the singer tell me how they remember doing it in one take - the trick is to do this stuff well so that it is invisible.

Live is live and is always dangerous and therefore unpredictable - but not so much anymore, with B'way sound systems, notes pre-recorded for actors, lip-synching or sweetening in musicals.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 07:40:42 AM »

I'm up, in case anyone hadn't noticed.

Elan

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 07:41:39 AM »

BK-

Ask Day.

My Question-

I certainly prefer seeing a live performer giving an all-out-if-imperfect performance to a phoned-in-but-technically-polished one. I saw Bernadette Peters in Gypsy when she was pushing through a bad cough, and her "Rose's Turn" was nothing short of stupendous. Similarly, seeing Donna McKechnie perform "Music and the Mirror" as an exhausted encore to her cabaret show was one of the highlights of my life (I think my arm still bears the marks where Judy [a lifelong Chorus Line groupie] grabbed me as she started). I wouldn't want those versions of the songs on an audio recording, though. Generally, I'd like my recordings to be more perfect (classic case of this is the legendary Elaine Stritch sequence in the Company documentary. Any of the "bad" versions of "Ladies Who Lunch" would have gotten a standing O in the theater, and I don't mean the contemporary "I paid a fortune for this ticket so I'm standing"-type standing O either).

I can't recall any theatrical recordings that struck me as being too over-produced, but there are a number of talented pop vocalists whose voices got so distorted in the studio that no trace of their unique qualities remain (one off the top of my head: Cyndi Lauper, who really had a very wonderful and flexible voice, but had all the life sucked out of it in the studio).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 07:51:43 AM »

A much better score than critics have given it credit for being. I love "When Love Beckoned," "Do I Love You?" and "Katie Went to Haiti" as much as "Friendship." Would love a complete score one of these days, but not with the Encores! stars, Robert Morse and Faith Prince. Debbie Gravitte would be more my choice.

Some day you will have to check the lists I sent you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 08:08:49 AM »

I always like "Madame I Like Your Crepes Suzettes" - especially as done by Red Skelton in the movie....and Danny Kaye on an old LP I bought at a yard sale.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up