Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERFECTLY PERFECT DAY  (Read 8216 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re: THE PERFECTLY PERFECT DAY
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2010, 07:58:55 AM »

First National Tour - Les Miserables - 1990 in SF
First Broadway Show - Cats - 1999

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2010, 07:59:05 AM »

Happy 62nd wedding anniversary to the parents of DR JRand!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2010, 07:59:12 AM »

Let's Have Lunch dance here for Page 3

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2010, 07:59:35 AM »

DR Matthew - congratulations on your added responsibility for SB!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRABJOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THE JABBERWOCKY

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2010, 08:09:49 AM »

TOD - first professional show was the Forrest Tucker/Joan Weldon tour of The Music Man at the Riviera in Detroit.  I saw one more show at the Riviera, Florence Henderson in The Sound of Music before it was replaced by the Fisher Theatre.  First show I saw there was The Unsinkable Molly Brown, with BK's pal Karen Morrow in the title role and Harve (be still, my heart) Presnell as Johnny.

First show on Broadway was the original cast of Cabaret, in the summer of 1967.  My mother worked at National Bank of Detroit with someone whose brother had a connection to Lotte Lenya and we had her house seats, 4th row center orchestra.  Afterwards, we waited at the stage door and met 4 of the 5 principles and I still have the program book with their autographs.  There's a second Joel Grey signature on it from when Richard and I met him outside Cincinnati's Music Hall almost 20 years later.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:26:38 AM by Ginny »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »

TOD:  Like Elmore, my first brush with Boradway was at the Schubert Theatre in Cincinnati where all the major road shows came in.  I think the first thing I ever saw there was OLIVER, we went as a class in either eighth or ninth grade when studying Dickens.  Davey Jones was playing the Artful Dodger and, I'm not sure, but I think Georgia Brown was playing Nancy.  Can't remember who was Fagin and I'm not digging out the programme to find out.

Another time we saw a tour of BAREFOOT IN THE PARK with Margaret O'Brien in the lead.  What I remember of the show was she had a terrible head cold, but valiantly croaked through the performance anyway.  I think the first show that I paid for and went on my own (my date and I...)was HOSTILE WITNESS starring Ray Milland touring in his Broadway hit.  Character actor Melville Cooper was also in the show, playing the judge.

I saw many things at the Schubert in the late sixties/early seventies before it closed...GINGERBREAD LADY with Nancy Kelly; ROSENCRANTZ & GUILDENSTERN with Brian Murray; MAN OF LA MANCHA with Keith Andes, 1776, and HADRIAN THE 7TH with Hume Cronin giving one of the best and most memorable performances I've ever seen.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »

TOD

BANJO EYES with Eddie Cantor

Music by Vernon Duke. The Most famous song that came from that show was NOT A CARE IN THE WORLD

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2010, 09:02:59 AM »

TOD:

First Broadway tour:

CHICAGO starring Tom Wopat

First Broadway shows:

AVENUE Q starring a lot of muppets and CURTAINS starring David Hyde Pierce (I don't recall which was first as I saw them both during the same weeks visit to NYC)

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2010, 09:04:25 AM »

Glad that the book reading and the HHW get-to-gather were both fun! Looking forward to more pictures. Glad monkey was in attendance! Shouldn' there be a snap of him with each HHWer?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »

TOD:  Like Elmore, my first brush with Boradway was at the Schubert Theatre in Cincinnati where all the major road shows came in.  I think the first thing I ever saw there was OLIVER, we went as a class in either eighth or ninth grade when studying Dickens.  Davey Jones was playing the Artful Dodger and, I'm not sure, but I think Georgia Brown was playing Nancy.  Can't remember who was Fagin and I'm not digging out the programme to find out.

DR Charles Pogue,you most likely saw OLIVER! on its way to Broadway so I would guess you saw everyone on the OBC. The Fagin would be Clive Revill.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »

Glad everything went so wonderfully for you yestrday!

Hopefull we all have a great day today as well!
I like boat races.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2010, 09:30:56 AM »

It's official, I'm both stage directing and musical directing Sunset Blvd 

And really, that's all I have to say now.  If I stop posting for longer than a week, someone please check to see that I haven't fallen in a swimming pool.

Congrats & ;D

Jane

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »

DR Jrand, happy 62nd anniversary to your parents!!! :)

Jane

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »

Last night I had a most splendid time at Movie Night.  Some friends show movies outside on a screen on the outside of their garage. The sound isn't very good, but it was still great fun.  Last night's feature was Napolean Dynamite.  It was pretty cold out but they havd a raging fire in the fireplace on the patio and we had movie popcorn, munchies, movie candy, beer, wine and Ouzo.  Ouzo is great with Good and Plenty.... It was a small crowd last night, there were only 9 of us, 10 if you count the guy who came to socialize but left before the movie started.  We laughed and laughed....roasted marshmallows and were very silly. 
Sounds wonderful.

Sure does. :)

Jane

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2010, 09:36:47 AM »

I enjoyed reading the details and seeing the photos from last night.  I got an extra kick out of the photo with Monkey and especially liked the one with the Vixter & Bruce.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »

DR Jrand, happy 62nd anniversary to your parents!!! :)

Ditto, DR JRand60! I still don't know how I missed that bit of information! I will blame it on my Fed Ex problem.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2010, 10:14:56 AM »

Stopped in the office to check the mail.  Nothing interesting.  I could stay and work, but think I better do laundry instead....

It's raining so I may not go to the outdoor sculpture walk.  It's by a house build by Richard Neutra and I've never seen the house, so I may go out there just to take a look.   I've been invited there for various things in the past but never made it.  Tonight is a birthday party for a friend...it's an early thing so hopefully it won't go too late. 

Charles Pogue

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »

DR Charles Pogue,you most likely saw OLIVER! on its way to Broadway so I would guess you saw everyone on the OBC. The Fagin would be Clive Revill.

Really?  I'm pretty sure it was a National tour after it had already played Broadway.  Wasn't it imported to Broadway AFTER it's success in London.  Would they really have had a pre-Broadway tour of it?  But now I'm curious so I guess I'll have to dig out the programme.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »

It was delightful meeting Kevin last night _ 
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2010, 11:44:02 AM »

happy 62nd anniversary to JRand's folks

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »

congratulations to Matthew,,,

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »

So I dug out the programme for OLIVER!  Robin Ramsay played Fagin; Judy Bruce played Nancy...but Davey Jones (billed David Jones) did play The Artful Dodger.  I realized a also spelled Shubert incorrectly.  Also found the programme for the Guare/MacDermot TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA  that played the Shubert and starred Larry Kert and Jill O'Hara.

vixmom

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

i am so tried ai keep falling a sleep = whichis a shame on trhis beautifully beautiful day

vixmom

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »

or should I say perfectly perfect?

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »

Here we are with Bishop Chad, whose consecration ceremony we attended a week ago:

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »

And here's Richard admiring Astronaut Alan Shepard's Corvette:

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »

Me with Astronaut Snoopy:

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »

At dinner with our friends Fernando and Christa:

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »

Really?  I'm pretty sure it was a National tour after it had already played Broadway.  Wasn't it imported to Broadway AFTER it's success in London.  Would they really have had a pre-Broadway tour of it?  But now I'm curious so I guess I'll have to dig out the programme.

David Merrick opened OLIVER! in California and the show played its tryout heading east to Broadway.  I believe the OBC recording was made in LA. You saw the national tour, which probably began during OLIVER!'s second year on Broadway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up