Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ANYTHING BUT NOTHING  (Read 64646 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ANYTHING BUT NOTHING
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2004, 02:22:26 PM »

I took a walk a while ago and ended up at our little art fair nearby, which occurs four times a year.  Very boring, but I ran into my Russian massuesse who I haven't seen in quite some time.  I also looked in at the booth of the artist Stan Cline.  Mr. Cline does mostly scenes of old LA, much like the covers of the Kritzer books.  I went in and said hey to the two ladies manning the booth and told them the paintings were like the covers of the books.  We chatted, and it turns out that one of the ladies went to Hamilton High three years after I did, and the other, Mrs. Cline, went when I did.  She told me we dated, but I have no memory of such a thing, and also, I tend to doubt it because she's a year older than me and she told me on one of our dates I taught her how to stick shift.  Unless that's a metaphor, it waren't me because I didn't know how to stick shift until I was twenty-one.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2004, 02:22:29 PM »

Perhaps, for Mother's Day, we should all play The Mamas and the Papas records, in memory of Mama Cass.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2004, 02:24:41 PM »

...Unless that's a metaphor, it waren't me because I didn't know how to stick shift until I was twenty-one.
As a metaphor, it's a nice one, even if it does make you sound like a late bloomer.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2004, 02:32:06 PM »

So, if it is a metaphor, then you did date her???

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2004, 02:49:53 PM »

Maybe it was Bruce Himmel that she dated.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2004, 02:52:34 PM »

The best of vibes to Mike Shayne's dad.
It is Mothers Day here in OZ so I shall be missing from the computer. "Do The Right Thing" time. (a Spike Lee reference).

Went to see Melbourne Theatre company's production of "Urinetown" last night. Entertaining theatre but I think I had more fun at "Bat Boy" (more intimate theatre). It took a while for the show to get going and for the audience to go along with the flow (sorry).. The Second act was certainly better than the first. I had not listened to the cast album for ages (a thanks again to WEL for the opportunity) but at least I knew what to expect from the show. Best received number (particularly from the youngsters in the audience) was "Run Freedom Run". The show seems to be selling tickets - it is part of the Melbourne Theatre Company's "season" and only runs for a month. It certainly is already more successful here than the poorly received "The Full Monty". Australian productions so often take the "insurance" method of casting TV performers in major roles for productions - it so often does not help the show itslef but I guess it gets the Moms & Dads to go and there is more publicity.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2004, 02:55:57 PM »

BK dated her... metaphorically!!

Thinking of you and your dad, Dear Reader Michael Shayne!

I am convinced you all will be thrilled to know that Mothers' Day here in France is JUNE 6 this year!
Don't you love the way our modern world wants us to spend money on certain days?!

Personally, I don't need Mothers' Day to give my mother presents....

Yes, Maya, you're darn pretty as the Lady In Red and in any colo(u)r... matter of fact! Thanks for sharing the pics....

Terrible weather here in Paris; gusty winds and rain! Blah! It's supposed to be Spring!
Well, at least it's May 8...and if we remember -- and we have to remember!! -- May 8, 1945... it IS quite a date!

And... there's nothing like a ... date! Or... fig!

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2004, 02:56:07 PM »

Media check:
Last DVD watched was "Star"
Cds: Rodgers & Hammerstein Overtures -Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
        Anya (OBC)
        Connie Francis sings Italian Favourites & More Italian Favourites.
          Whoops! Make that favorites!!

No Walter Brennan records this week!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2004, 02:57:50 PM »

URINETOWN... pisses me off!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2004, 03:02:41 PM »

I've spent the past two hours in stunned awe listening to the latest FSM CD soundtrack limited release -- Alex North's magnificent "The Shoes of the Fisherman."

The CD presents the entire score chronologically, and it's unbelievably beautiful, chill-inducing and awesome.

It's brought me to tears a number of times....only real fans of film music can quite understand that, I fear, but it's the real thing.  This is quite simply one of the great -- all-time great -- soundtrack releases.

I've yet to listen to Bronislau Kaper's "The Swan" -- for the first time in stereo.  But I've got it ready once I'm settled down from the euphoria that only Alex North can induce in quite a special way.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2004, 03:04:14 PM »

Maybe it was Bruce Himmel that she dated.

I heard -- or, possibly, misheard -- that it was one of the Hummels.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

François de Paris

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2004, 03:12:39 PM »

I don't understand why some of those film soundtracks , like the FSM series, are on limited edition, hence SO expensive and play the game of eBay speculators....

Even low income people may want to buy those soundtracks....

Oh I get it! I'll ask for one for Fathers' Day....
Now, I need to be a father!.....

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2004, 03:17:59 PM »

"El Cid"
All I remember about the film was Sophia Loren walking along the castle battlements wondering why she was even in the movie and the Oscar nominated theme song by sung by Billy Storm.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2004, 03:20:11 PM »

Yes, Sophia thought she was playing Dulcinea at the time!

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2004, 03:22:58 PM »

So when is Father's Day in France? It is the second Sunday in September here but not so in the UK.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2004, 03:26:07 PM »

Yes, Sophia thought she was playing Dulcinea at the time!
Appreciative laugh from Colin!
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »

OMG! -- Oh, mon dieu! in French!

Have you read the news? :o

The Walt Disney Company is blocking its Miramax division from distributing a new film with Julie Andrews that harshly criticizes Michael Eisner, executives at both Disney and Miramax said Tuesday.

I never knew I would live to see that!
Just terrible! ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2004, 03:31:20 PM »

And now a giggle from me François!
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2004, 03:31:49 PM »

June 20th is father's Day here in France!

Wish I were the owner of a tie shop.... 8)

François de Paris

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2004, 03:41:58 PM »

A visit to Walt Disney World might get you a free ride to ... the hospital!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-05-05-disney-ride-illness_x.htm

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2004, 03:44:21 PM »

Bonjour, (François de)Paris -- (Voila! A Sondheim reference!!)

Small labels like FSM have revolutionized the archival film music industry (and I don't mean archival in any way that is negative about sound quality).

Major labels won't press fewer than 5,000 CDs of any title, and prefer many more than that.  Soundtracks, on the other hand, don't traditionally sell more than a couple of thousand except for that rarity like "The Passion" or "Titanic" or anything by John Williams (well, almost anything).  

A number of people -- including our very own Nick Redman, FSM's Lukas Kendall, Varese Sarabande's Robert Townson, and yes, even Bruce Kimmel (!!) -- knocked down many barriers by issuing limited editions of film scores and original cast albums by cutting special deals with the owners of the music and, in the case of film scores, the American Federation of Musicians union which normally requires compensation equivalent to performance pay for every member of the orchestra hired to perform a certain score.  That means the musicians got paid twice for the music and that was okay as long as a large label was footing the bill, but the small labels couldn't pay these fees routinely ($50,000 to $100,000 are figures I've seen just for union fees).  A breakthrough was achieved when the union agreed to take a significantly lesser fee (nominal, possibly, rather than substantial) if the scores were released in limited numbers (primarily aimed at a core group of collectors).  We seem to have achieved a happy medium with the $19.95 single-CD and $24.95 double-CD of older film scores, stereo or mono, clean sound or archival (in the sense that the sound has degradation).

While it is true some titles have sold out when they reach a broader market (like "The Omega Man" and, for some reason, "Lucy 'Mame'"!), most have not, yet the labels are still able to release music on a regular basis.

I wasn't aware that $19.95 was all that much compared to European prices.  I know some of my British friends find the FSM prices lower than what they find of regular titles in stores.  I guess that's their penance for not adopting the Euro.

As for eBay, anything is game there.  I know that recent sell-outs like "The Robe" and "Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century-Fox" have been fetching big bucks, but if the sellers want to make even more, they should hold out for a year after a title is announced as sold out.  

For instance, I have two mint copies of "Lucy 'Mame'" I'm holding back for just such a time when the whole world wants it and wants it bad!!!  :)    

But, then, the time for action may have passed and everyone who ever wanted one may now have one.

If that's the case, some lucky people are going to have a special Christmas present one year!!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 03:47:14 PM by RLP »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2004, 03:46:36 PM »

The FSM titles are limited editions because they are expensive to license and it's the only way they can break even and maybe even make a few crumbs.  Very few of them have sold out.  The Varese club stuff is a bit different - they've reduced the number of pressed discs, sometimes to 1000 copies - those always sell out specifically because of the eBay speculators.  The recent Goldsmith box is a case in point - 1500 copies, sold out in two weeks because many people were buying multiple copies.  Now, a day doe not go by without at least four copies up on eBay.  A few have done well with them - two recent copies for 300 bucks (original price 125 or something), but two others went barely over the 125.  I was told that one "dealer" (or eBay speculator) bought thirty copies - you do the math.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2004, 03:47:46 PM »

Actually, I'm surprised Lukas hasn't upped the price, given that the new standard list price from major labels is now 19.95.

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2004, 03:49:58 PM »

Best wishes and vibes to DR Michael Shayne and father. Hope all is well very soon!

A belated welcome back to Francios! I keep forgetting to say howdy and glad to see you back posting!

Did you get that Jacques Bergerac book yet? I do hope it is released to the English speaking world!!

Getting ready to watch Abbott and Costell (and Dick Foran) in IN THE NAVY.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2004, 03:52:30 PM »

LOL TOMOVOZ....Sophia and Charlton make a great couple although it certainly took Technirama 70 to get both their noses in the same shot.

RLP - I have the SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN LP - and I agree it's terrific!  I have only seen the movie on television,  but I liked it.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2004, 03:53:32 PM »

That said, Varese has announced it has fewer than 500 copies remaining of John Williams' "The Fury", a 2-CD set that features the original score plus the re-recorded score that was featured on the "soundtrack LP".  They are quite different, yet very appealing.  One really should have both versions for a display of Williams at the top of his game...writing a score for the film and then reorchestrating it and conducting it again for an album release.  

And I'll say this here, as I've said it in other forums:  The Varese Club "Love is A Many-Splendored Thing" soundtrack is one of the glories of recorded film music, and it's in true stereo.

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2004, 03:57:05 PM »

The problem with such CDs on this side of the world is that with the exchange rate and postage cost it will cost as much as $40A for a CD. No wonder I appreciate the HHW family so much. Your DVD's seem so inexpensive - it often costs more in postage than it does for the item. The Box sets of A & C sound wonderful BUT then I realise the postage makes it much much more expensive. DVDs often will not get an Australian release (need to be on PAL for OZ - despite the fact that multizone systems are common) as the market is way too small.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2004, 04:10:41 PM »

Thanks for the greetings Dear Reader Barnum!
No, I did not get the Bergerac book; I don't care enough for the man... I cared more for one of his wifes; Ginger!

The book might be adapted in English. After all, he might be remenbered more in the States then here in France, I would assume, strangely as it seems.

Thanks for the in-depth infos regarding the limited cd editions....
Prices of Imports here almost double up, even though I order through Amazon.com and save some.

Wait till I win the Lottery and then....I'll help BK to go back into cd producing, I tell you!

td

• td
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2004, 04:11:14 PM »

MDEIA CHECK(I am trying BK):

DVD --
THE MUMMY RETURNS, not as good as the first one, but enjoyable.  But dammit, if they are going to use Bendon in films, they must remember the first rule:  NO SHIRT!

DR TCB!  I just finished watching, well mostly listening, to MUMMY RETURNS!  Well, I'll take Brendan shirtless, but, damn the script to hell and back!  I lost a lot of interest in the film in theaters when Rick's *tattoo* was revealed and was quite frustrated at the screenwriter for even attempting to wedge that information into the script!  Just when I had regained interest,  Mr. Vosloo bathing in the Blue Nile, we got to a pyramid, someone conveniently died and then the horrendous CGI-creature supposing to be The Rock as The Scorpion King!  Any way, the film sounds and looks great on dvd!

DR Matt - did you watch the DTS JURASSIC PARK? ? ?   Awesome.

Right now I have an awesome-sounding dvd in the player: a Fox Animation Production of TITAN A.E. - has anyone seen it ? ? ?

Last night, I watched THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN - Hazel Court was simply divoon.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2004, 04:24:53 PM »

Back from The Normal Heart, which was thoroughly engrossing.

I've not seen Boy From Oz...  While I understand Peter Allen was a dynamic performer on stage, the catalogue of songs he left behind besmirches him as a second-rate songwriter.  There's one cast album I won't be buying.  But I'm certainly curious to see Hugh Jackman's portrayal.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up