Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANYTHING BUT NOTHING  (Read 64652 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:ANYTHING BUT NOTHING
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2004, 10:26:42 PM »

I, too, have the Volume 2 "Ma and Pa Kettle" set and am looking forward to a really enjoyable Sunday morning at the movies!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2004, 10:50:33 PM »

It's like a ghost town around here, but we've had some cherce postings today.  I just finished Enter the Dragon and now I want to go do some Bruce Lee moves.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2004, 11:01:07 PM »

Good Evening!

Whew!  These two show days really do seem long... and they really do take it out of me... whatever "it" is.  -However, it's been kind of strange this week - everyone in the cast was kind of tired all week, and everyone just thought this week was already a long week come Wednesday, so...  I guess when you're eight weeks into a run that's what happens.  In any case, very good shows today.

-Oh, and I finally met Michael Lavine (for those of you familiar with him) during and after the evening show.  He came to see some of his friends and clients in the show.

DR Maya - That "Dear Writer" song is truly one perplexing piece of music, and I've always wondered how exactly it was supposed to fit in the show - at least in the theme of show.  I guess as comic relief.  That being said...  I know most of that cast as friends, and I saw the show a few weeks ago.  Some very touching moments... and some truly heart-breaking moments.  I've always loved Sherri Edelen, and her rendition of "Anytime" had me sobbing when I saw it.  -And, actually, when Mr. Finn came to see the show, he apparently was crazy about her.

-And now that you've seen Elegies you can come see Children of Eden.  (Psst... I can probably walk you in... Come to a matinee... Ssshhh....)  ;)

Oh, I need to make an addendum to my media check... Between shows, I felt like spending some money - ??? - so I picked up a copy of Diana Krall's new CD, "The Girl In the Other Room", a sampler of EMI Classics' new "Great Artists of the Century" series (2 discs for only $4.00!), and the new Bill Charlap Trio recording, "Somewhere: The Songs of Leonard Bernstein".

I have the Charlap on right now.... Beautiful playing as always.  And very "smart" and "funny" when called for.  Heck, he even does a jazz version of "Glitter and Be Gay"!!  This disc will undoubtedly get lots of play - just like his other two discs.

Oh, and I also picked up Bounce - mainly because I know most of the guys and gals in the orchestra.  -And it's so cool that they were able to record the album at the NPR studios here in DC.  -Actually, the bass, french horn player and reed player for Eden were/are in the orchestra for Bounce.  Ohh... minor celebrities!!   ;)  -And since none of them had seen the disc yet, they got a chance to check the spelling of their names in the booklet.  ;D

OH!  After tonight's show, we had a "bake-off" of sorts.  Two cast members were talking about how good their versions of tiramisu were, so...  Voting was done by way of "bowl".  Cook A's tiramisu was dished out in Red bowls; Cook B's tiramisu was dished out Blue bowls.  So, once you were done with both bowls, you threw out the one you were not going to vote for, and you placed the bowl you liked on the kitchen counter.  Very scientific, huh?  Well, the Blue Bowls won by a small margin.

-Both versions had their +'s and -'s... well, heck, it was tiramisu, so there weren't too many -'s.  I preferred the taste of the Red bowl, but the Blue bowl had the better - and more traditional - texture.  The Red Bowl was more like a zuppa inglese.  -And I also detected a hint of citrus in the marscapone... But I digress...

I am truly grooving to this disc of Bernstein tunes a la jazz!

Well, I still need to write out my Mother's Day cards for my Mom and my two sisters-in-law...  OUCH!  and it's already 2:00AM here on the east coast!  I need to get to bed.... SOON!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2004, 11:02:14 PM »

Just got back from the theatuh.
Sitting next to me was a woman with her 8-year-old daughter. They won the tickets in a draw. I asked the little girl if she liked going to plays. She said yes. I asked her what was her favorite play that she had seen. This stumped her. The mother helpfully said it was the last one they had seen. Anne of Green Gables. "The musical version?" I asked. "No," the mother said, "It wasn't a musical. It was just a play with lots of songs in it."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 11:03:33 PM by Panni »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »

DR TCB:  The FSM limited edition soundtrack to "The Swan" is from the 1956 film starring Grace Kelly, Alec Guinness and Louis Jourdan.  It was Kelly's last film.

DR RLP:  Please forgive my feeble attempt at humor.  In fact, I am very familiar with the film THE SWAN.  I have always adored Louis Jourdan.  One of my favorite films of the 50s was the remake of BIRD OF PARADISE with Mr. Jourdan, Jeff Chandler, and Debra Paget.  It might not have been art, but I certainly knew, even then, what I liked at the movies!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2004, 11:46:46 PM »

RLP - I have the VHS of HELEN OF TROY and watch it from time to time.  Nice score and visuals.  Story does get a bit muddled, but that's to be expected I guess.  

BIRD OF PARADISE DRTCB - don't jump into the volcano!  And Maurice Schwartz as the Island PooBah is just TOO MUCH!!!

Thanks MRBK - I didn't remember that you and/or Benjamin saw CREATURE in 3D....

LOL DRPANNI....a play with a lot of songs.....this is what we have to work with....it's like all the Broadway "soundtracks" people listen to.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up