Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BACKWARDS NOTES  (Read 9613 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE BACKWARDS NOTES
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2010, 09:18:21 AM »

Pwoject Wunway:

Semi-SPOILAGE

Weighing in on this season after a few weeks, I'm trusting that folks here still watch it.  This has been the year of "The Near-Assassination and Persecution of Michael Costello by the Inmates of the Project Runway Competition at the Parsons School of Design in New York as Performed by a Few Inmates, Most Notably Ivy Higa and April Johnston."

I am now the de facto President of the Alameda County "I Hate Ivy H" Committee.  If she were spotted walking down the sidewalk and I could get to her, I'd verbally bitch-slap her until hell wouldn't have her.

After weeks of being tormented by designers "no longer in competition", Michael C. not only remains a viable contestant but he has won the respect and (somewhat) grudging admiration of "most" of the remaining designers.  Only April, whose attitude is unfathomable given that she sent an adult diaper down the runway in the first challenge, remains a holdout and is vitriolic when the subject arises.  Her contempt was spawned by Ivy H -- a Parsons "graduate" who believed herself the most accomplished practitioner of design arts on the show.  It is she about whom Michael Kors declared -- after yet another "dismal" design -- "She's not a designer...she's a 'seamstress'".  Ivy remains clueless about why she is no longer on the show...and remains unconvinced that Michael C. "earned" either of his two runway challenge wins.  Michael C is "self-taught".  He's been sewing since he was 5.  He doesn't "do" patterns and doesn't have "designer" terminology tripping lightly off his tongue (Ivy was fond of making designer-esque pronouncements about applications she would be "introducing" into her design, from week to week.  None of which, by the way, ever got noticed or earned compliments from the judges).

What was revealed in the last episode is that the designers would be doing a look to add to Heidi Klum's "New Balance Amazon.com line".  Several of the existing designs were sent out so the contestants could see what they needed to complement with their own offerings.  Her entire line is muted beiges, browns and greys, with blacks and whites used sparingly.  As Mondo Guerra lamented, "There's no color in it."

Heidi made an early assessment of what was being done and wasnt pleased with several of the designers' early outfits..  After that, Tim announced they'd all be doing "two more looks".  Back to "Mood" they went to correct earlier misgivings and to get more fabric.  Happily (?), Heidi had provided bolts of a grey fabric that she had in excess in one of her warehouses.   Tim also told them they would get "help."

And there it was:  All the demons who had earned their early departure and deserved future anonymity returned...and to a one, they were all "after" Michael C.  Ivy H led the charge insulting/berating and accusing him of cheating.  Somehow, had Michael not "cheated" and "undermined" (that last term is Ivy's speciality, by the way), "more deserving" designers (meaning "her") would still be in the compeition.   Funny, though...it wasn't Michael C. up on the runway as one of the two choices when Ivy was eliminated.

No...the truth was out.  Ivy H., in the eighth week competition,  had discovered some double-sided tape in the "women's" restroom and concluded that Michael C. had obviously been the one to use it for his design for the Jackie Kennedy "look".  She told all the other designers at that time, and as they had all been "down" on Michael C. and criticized him at every turn before, this incident justified, in their minds, that he was not to be endured. For the Jackie Kennedy challenge, he had done an open-sided, but very well-fitted, blue cocktail dress.  Ivy H believe that only Michael would have needed this tape to prevent his model's boob's from popping out the sides.  As Michael pointed out, however, his model used special "pads" that prevented such a disaster.

Tim gathered everyone and said the allegation had been made and that a review of all tapes, including workroom, fittings, makeup and runway, had been made...and that NO EVIDENCE of any kind existed to indicate Michael or his model had done anything illegal or untoward.  The judges, Tim asserted, would most definitely have noted such subterfuge had it been perpetrated.  The judges have complimented his work and, in deliberations, have been openly supportive of his skills...especially given his lack of training.  Tim Gunn also praises him in front of the others. 

He also reminded everyone that it had been weeks and weeks since this challenge and that the time for accusations would have been "then" and not "weeks later." 

The judges are well aware of the "mindset" that has prevailed among the contestants since day one.  Gretchen has been a ringleader in being "judgmental" about the talents of others, but Ivy H has been venomous.  Gretchen has openly challenged the judges' decisions/taste levels in awarding Michael C. two wins on the runway.  The thing that sticks in their craws, IMO, is that Michael C. has no formal training, yet somehow makes up to five different looks before he settles on "one".  They spend all their time slaving over the "one" design they initially sketch out and pattern...and then have difficulties fitting.  Michael C. works fast and is very flexible and it's something the others cannot abide for whatever reason.  Michael C. has a fan/friend in Mondo Guerra...who does not sketch...he does it all in his head.  He's also won three consecutive challenges and is the frontrunner to take it all, IMO.  Likely to move forward to Fashion Week as contestants are Gretchen, Mondo and Andy South, whose work has been "hit-and miss" all season.  It's either really good or it's hideous.  Michael C. is not the best...or even one of  the three best... designers.  But he's very good.  April is also very, very good...and is an outside contender for the final three.

The Heidi challenge was won by Andy...and all three of his looks will be available in the collection on Amazon.com (they were going to choose just one, but Heidi loved them all).

By the way, it was Christopher (who every week said he hoped he wouldn't be eliminated because he hadn't yet shown what he could do) who was chosen to be evicted.  The judges simply felt he'd never made an impression on them and that his looks in this challenge were probably his worst...poorly styled and executed.  And who had been his helper?  The incredible Ivy H, of course, who styled all his designs.

It's never dull!!!

End SPOILAGE

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:15:27 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 09:18:52 AM »

Page Three.

That is all.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2010, 09:23:18 AM »

Question for BK:  What do you think of this open investment plan for the upcoming GODSPELL B'way revival?  Do you think you might put in $1000?

No.  Not.  Won't. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »

My question for BK:  With all the interviews, readings, and press your autobio is getting are you noticing a considerable uptick in sales from your previous books...and has it helped the sales of your other books as well as the autobio?

I certainly hope so!

I don't think it's helped the other books, but yes, this book's sales go up every time one of these things hits.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »

My question for ASK BK day.....what is your favorite Ronald Stein score?  And your favorite Les Baxter score?

SADISMO is most entertaining, to be sure.

Ron Stein - Dementia 13 or whatever it's called. 
Les Baxter - Master of the World.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  I did sleep for a little over eight hours, so that's good.

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »

DR cillaliz, Little Ricky has got me very much wanting a kitten, which I cannot do, so you need to post more photos of him.

I'll take some more photos tonight, or maybe even this noon.    I did have some very good news, he is negative for feline leukemia.  So, we don't have to worry about that.   I've decided to quit worrying about the athlete's elbow (sounds better than rignworm) which I'm beginning to believe it really is.  If I get it I get it.   I'll keep him isolated and try to keep the girls away from him, but beyond that, I'm not going to worry anymore, just deal with it.   

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And my mind if still processing "Kraft".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »

DR elmore - RE: The music for your bass - Get them scanned. Save them as a PDF to a disc or stick-drive. Email him the PDFs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »

~~~~~VIBES~~TO~~ALL~~ALL~~WHO~~NEED~~THEM~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2010, 09:46:08 AM »

I'm sort of annoyed with NBC. I have been watching the Event on Saturday nights and it was scheduled for this saturday. Then yesterday they cancelled the new show The Outlaw (is that the name?) and are running the last 4 episodes on saturdays. So they are taking off The Event. If they had done this before the show aired on Monday I could have recorded it on Monday. I guess I will have to watch it online instead.

As the hashtag on Twitter goes: #firstworldproblems
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2010, 09:47:27 AM »

OK, time to go home for lunch.  I need to change clothes, spend time with Ricky, change clothes spend time with the girls....get something to eat and come back to work. Whew!

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »

I'm not surprised The Outlaw is cancelled, it was really bad

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2010, 09:49:22 AM »

And I really like Jimmy Smits, but may the show stunk

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2010, 09:51:35 AM »

Last night was the first run through of Act One for Sunset Blvd and to use one of my favorite quotes from "Arthur" - it didn't suck.  In fact, it has potential.  Of course "Let's Have Lunch" was a disaster as know one knows their entrances, I'm getting a little frustrated with that.  I'm trying to figure out a way to make it easier for them.  But there are big holes where people forget where they are.   That's my biggest concern at the moment.

More later...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2010, 10:18:34 AM »

Re:  last week's Project Runway.

Favorite moment:  the brilliant editing of Ivy bitching that karma was going to bite Michael C., followed immediately by the needle on her sewing machine breaking and hitting her in the eye.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »

Today's paper said people who regularly get 5.5-6 hours of sleep a night live longer.  So I guess I'm immortal.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »

DR ELMORE - the Dream O Matic 6000 says that your dream is about your feelings of being stabbed in the back and hindered for doing your job well, and that knowing more than others makes you a target.

DR td - your dream shows lack of confidence in your doctors or perhaps feelings that they are treating only a portion of your symptoms, also a change is in order for your life, though you are not sure what it is.

Please deposit $35 in my PayPal account.

Wow! DR JRand60, that's an amazing analysis. I have to say that while your analysis was something I'd never reach (I aways fear it's a premonition), there is much truth to your comments on several of my jobs.

And don't dress as a policeman for Halloween.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »

DR EDISAURUS I am sure you will have a big audience....and do well onstage!

Thank you JRand, but seriously...my brain and tongue freeze and I can hardly form a coherent sentence. And it's too early to start drinking! :-)

So any and all vibes for travel and eloquence would be greatly appreciated!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »

One of my favorite things to do is speaking in public...NOT! Hope I don't puke! I really hate it and have a lifelong fear of it.
I'm sure you will do fine. The hardest part is the five minutes before it starts. Then just run on the adrenaline. And the mental image of the audience wearing nothing but Sarah Palin tattoos.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »

I must catch up on yesterday, which turned out to be an odd day.

I must also thank people for the anniversary wishes, before my tardiness in doing that becomes a running gag.

FJL

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2010, 10:49:22 AM »

Ron P - to quote Gittel in SEESAW - "well said, well said"

Edisaurus

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »

One of my favorite things to do is speaking in public...NOT! Hope I don't puke! I really hate it and have a lifelong fear of it.
I'm sure you will do fine. The hardest part is the five minutes before it starts. Then just run on the adrenaline. And the mental image of the audience wearing nothing but Sarah Palin tattoos.

Actually, that would be sort of frightening! I will just imagine they are an audience of DR's and then I might feel safer.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2010, 11:05:12 AM »

Off to the airport while my DH holds down the fort. The cat I give pills to is all over me; he must know he's safe for today---he won't expect Greg will do the deed!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2010, 11:09:39 AM »

Re:  last week's Project Runway.

Favorite moment:  the brilliant editing of Ivy bitching that karma was going to bite Michael C., followed immediately by the needle on her sewing machine breaking and hitting her in the eye.  ;)

Yes, that was a HIGHLY ENJOYABLE moment.

The previous week's previews were edited in such a way that gave me the impression someone had thrown something at her.  That was followed by a scene NOT in the last episode in which Tim was telling someone off camera that he or she was no longer associated with the show!  Perhaps we'll get a clue tomorrow night.

I'd love to have a freeze-frame of Ivy with her head turned and her face all screwed up....and under it the caption "You shouldn't talk about 'karma'...you'll put your eye out"!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2010, 11:10:15 AM »

One thing I found yesterday in storage was a program from some new musicals thing in NY from, I don't know twelve years ago or something - it had an original by someone named Skip Kennon, and also an original with music and lyrics by someone named Fred Landau - so I guess I saw a Fred Landau musical all those years ago. Who knew?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »

Ron P - to quote Gittel in SEESAW - "well said, well said"

'kew!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »

Had a nice visit with Jon Burlingame, and I guess I'll think about jogging, maybe eating a light meal so my stomach isn't growling later, and then doing some errands and whatnot.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »

Received a few more e-mails from people not coming this evening. 

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2010, 11:39:43 AM »

Had a nice visit with Jon Burlingame, and I guess I'll think about jogging, maybe eating a light meal so my stomach isn't growling later, and then doing some errands and whatnot.

Was any mention made of a publication date for "The Newmans of Hollywood"?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up