Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTHER'S DAY  (Read 84847 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MOTHER'S DAY
« on: May 09, 2004, 12:02:12 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've mothered the notes, the notes have mothered you and now you are ready to have a Mother's Day posting frenzy.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 12:01:55 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:MOTHER'S DAY
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 12:19:01 AM »

I'm off to bed with a script. (Romantic.) Have three more to read for judging.
Unless my doggie serves me Mother's Day breakfast in bed, it ain't gonna happen. Who knows? Maybe he'll make me a kibble scramble.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 12:19:21 AM »

I have just returned from a ceremony where a number of our immigrants officially became Australian citizens. Once recipient of citizenship was Colin's Brother-in-law Sean, who emigrated with his family from Wales over 30 years ago. It was interesting to see that there were few people of European descent amonst the 2000 new Australians citizens - this a truly multi-cultural society.
Included in the ceremony were that song embraced by Australians as an unofficial anthem - "I Still Call Australia Home"(Written of course by a second rate successful composer) and Bruce Woodley's (of the Seekers) marvellous "I Am Australian".They were so warmly received by the participants in the ceremony and their guests - people find these songs to be far more emotive than our National Anthem. They are songs that touch the heart - what more success could a songwriter wish?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 12:23:47 AM »

It is 103 years today since the first Australian Parliament sat and today's ceremony was held in the same building.
The ceremony also included a tribute to Mothers.
Happy Mother's Day to all those DRs who are Moms (Mums). - Another one of the 366 days this year that I miss my own Mother.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 01:39:27 AM »

Yes it is the Mother of all Days...Mother's Day.  ;D

Did any other DR's imagine that one celebrity or another was his/her long lost mother when you were growing up?

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 01:43:28 AM »

From yesterday...
S. Woody, you do know that Mr. Don Bluth has a fictionalized version of himself in Krtizer Time do you not?  Oh, that's right - you haven't read it yet.  Oops (spoo, spelled backwards).

Heck, I have read the book and I didn't know that.

Had our final performance of Children of Eden tonight.  Went fairly well, great audience.  Nice to be done with it, but I have to admit that the show has grown on me in the last two weeks (after a few months of really not being fond of it).  And definitely gonna miss a few of the kids in the cast.  Went out afterwards with the choreographer (and her boyfriend) and the assistant director (and her husband) for drinks.  Good times had by all.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 02:07:39 AM »

Congratulations on getting through to the otherside of Eden, DR Jed. Unlike Steinbeck, I guess you will be heading somewhere West Of Eden before long.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 02:13:34 AM »

JRand: I just hoped for anyone really wealthy to be my real parents. The truth was a little disappointing. I was certainly a lot luckier having the ones that brought me up. (and not in terms of $). Great question.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 02:39:05 AM »

Sitting on a book, indeed.  You know full well, Mr. BK, that I am quite tall enough and have no need to sit on a book to make myself taller.

Besides, it's not my copy of the book, it's der Brucer's.  Somebody made that painfully clear when he signed it for der Brucer and der Brucer alone.  Snit!  (Backwards, that's !tinS)

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 03:36:42 AM »

Do you ever sleep, SWoody? :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 05:57:26 AM »

Happy Mother's Day to all the DRs who are mothers.

DR Panni, I hope you still have a wonderful Mother's Day if though your DD is not with you.

My gosh, I fell asleep so early last night, but feel so tired.  I hate when that happens.  I think I fell asleep at 8pm.  Yet a host of things woke me up (quite a few times) after midnight. I HATE THAT!

Danise

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 06:59:19 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]   :)   Happy Mothers Day!   :) [/move]

JRand, that is a really pretty Moms day banner.  I really like it.  As for your question, no, I can't say I ever thought that.  I had many make believe celebrity friends but that was it.

Panni, did you get any doggie kisses this morning?  Bear is giving me the "Let's go for walk!" look as I type this.

Tom, I know how you feel only I miss my Dad on Fathers day.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 07:09:25 AM »

I forgot to mention yesterday that I, too, saw CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON in 3-D. Not in its original release, of course, when I was a mere babe but during the 1982-83 revival of interest in 3-D. THough most of the new movies made in 3-D during those years were lousy (though the 3-D looked GREAT in something awful like FRIDAY THE 13th 3-D), several theaters around here starting booking the old 3-D movies from 1953-54, and that's when I saw HOUSE OF WAX, CREATURE, and DIAL 'M' FOR MURDER, and GORILLA AT LARGE in 3-D. I BEGGED the manager of one theater to book KISS ME KATE, but he said there would be no audience for a musical in 3-D. I argued with him that the 3-D would sell it, but he wouldn't do it.

Glad to read someone else likes GO WEST and THE BIG STORE. The first time I ever saw GO WEST was on a double bill at a revival theater with A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. Honestly, I liked GO WEST better. Not being an opera fan and getting very antsy with too much Kitty Carlisle and Allan Jones and not enough of the Marx Bros., OPERA has never been one of my favorites despite some wonderful gags involving them.

Of course, we're all waiting anxiously for Universal's Marx Bros. box this fall with their first five gems. I have all of those on earlier releases, but it would be nice to get cleaned up, restored prints and soundtracks with those and also any extras that they want to throw in.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 08:05:58 AM »

for all of the mothers out there. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 08:41:55 AM »

Lovely Mother's Day greetings!

Danise - Yes, I got doggie kisses this morning. I have a feeling they were more "Give me breakfast and take me for a walk" kisses. But I'm not one to look a gift kiss in the mouth, so to speak.

JR - Good question. I used to fantasize that I was the "real" daughter of Richard Burton -- and that he and Elizabeth Taylor took me in and made me part of their rather interesting lives.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2004, 08:42:57 AM »

Good morning, all!  And Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers in our lives!

I spent the evening at VAN HELSING with my 14-year-old goddaughter who thought it was the coolest, but I, unfortunately, thought it was the lowest on so many levels:  the opening sequences with the mill and its refernces to the original Universal Frankenstein films was quite an intelligent opening, which I thought boded well, and the sequence at the Vatican was such a goof on James Bond gadgetry that it still looked promising, even if the Jekyll-Hyde sequence in between was an incdication of how low the film could go (lower, I fear).  After that, the film died in a  tooo-long (2+ hours) swamp of CGI effects, really awful monster makeup (what was on Igor's face and why did Frankenstein's monster look like the Pillsbury doughboy after plastic surgery?), and very little character development:  Martin Kemp's wolfman never had a character.  I also felt there was too little regard for the collective mythology of the monsters:  werewolves come and go as men whenever the full moon is clouded, it looks like daylight to me when the strange bird-bat-vampire ladies attack the village, what are the good of garlic and crucifixes against these CGI effects?

As far as plot, there was some resemblance to A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN, without the intentional humor, but the Frankenstein monster is still required by Dracula for evil use, there's some wolfman interference, and a lot of comic violence; after all the throwing about of people and falls, I'd just once like to see an "action" film where the fighters bleed, wear braces, casts and trusses or even die after a violent sequence.  The director-writer dedicates this film to his father; if I were his father, I'd be embarassed by my son's lack of taste, humor, and storytelling abilities.

DR RLP, I loved HELEN OF TROY as a child, and I blame it for stirring such an interest in mythology that I got a degree in Latin.  The two risible lines you mention are from two different takes on the Trojan War, and I suspect the writers felt a need to incorporate them.  They never bothered me, nor did I consider them laughable; for the record, the  line about  a face launching 1000 ships is from Marlowe's DOCTOR FAUSTUS (Faustus upon seeing a vision of Helen) and the Greeks bearing gifts line is from the AENEID of Virgil, where an actual, nonpoetic translation of the line is "I fear the Greeks even when they're bringing gifts."  In the AENEID, it's spoken by Laocoon the priest of Neptune just before he and his sons are kiled by serpents for advising the Trojans to keep the horse out of the city.

Is there Live Chat tonight at 9:00?  I may be E&T because of a visiting friend from Cincinnati.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004, 08:59:19 AM »

DR MattH, I didn't know that the early Marx Bros. were coming out on DVD again! Very good news..those are the Marx Bros. that I love!!

Fred Meyer's (a regional department store) is having a buy one get one free sale on their MGM DVDs today...I must go and see if there is anything I need/want!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 09:19:58 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Well, I slept in today... and I meant really slept in, so...

"I'm late, I'm late...."

*Not that kind of "late" DR TCB!! ;)

I actually have a good Mother's Days story, but it would take a little time to type out, so I shall do so later today once I get back to Richmond tonight.  -Sorry for the teaser.

-OH!  It's just MBarnum and myself in here right now.  Oohhh!!..... :D  :-*

Ah, well...

OK... Time for me to putter around getting ready for the matinee... and I'll be puttering really fast... so...

And a very Happy Mother's Day to all!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2004, 09:39:58 AM »

Der Brucer's latest obsession, with bird feeders, continues.  He has now hung a new feeder outside his window, I think for finches or some such twittery thing.  Earlier, he was putting up a new holder for corn cobs, so that the squirrels can have their own feasting.  What he didn't realize was that, while he was on one side of the big pine tree outside his window, the squirrels were watching his every move from around the other side.

We've been getting Cardinals, Blue Jays, Grackles, a Woodpecker or two (no relation), and about a half dozen squirrels.

All of which may explain why he hasn't been reading books of late.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2004, 09:40:43 AM »

Sleep?

:o

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 09:51:34 AM »

Chat is tomorrow night.

S. Woody, I have a distinct memory of being asked specifically to sign the book specifically to der Brucer.  If THAT is the problem, send it back and I'll sign it again.  Obviously, I would have signed it to both of you unless I thought I'd been told to do otherwise.  SHAME!

And yes, Jed, Don Bluth and his brother Fred (now Toby) are in the book, fictionalized, with different names (same initials).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 09:59:37 AM »

Well, in that case it's der Brucer's fault for not being specific.  Can't trust that fellow to get anything right.   ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004, 10:01:26 AM »

It's a very dull day.  Even the birds are bored.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2004, 10:02:29 AM »

I do hope you know that that is the ONLY way I wouldn't have signed it to both of you.  So, read the damn thing already.  And, if you like, send it back and I'll add you to the sig.  SHAME.

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was Mother's Day or something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2004, 10:09:02 AM »

Surely this is the place to be for Mother's Day.  After all, we have lovely mothers on this site, and they feel lonesome and unloved because we are not having a partay atmosphere.  Let's have a partay atmosphere so our mothers don't feel unloved.  Let us have merriment and mirth and laughter and legs.  

Panni

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2004, 10:29:58 AM »

After all, we have lovely mothers on this site, and they feel lonesome and unloved because we are not having a partay atmosphere.  
If I may speak for all the lovely mothers on this site (of both sexes) -- we are not a pathetic bunch who are feeling lonesome and unloved :'(
on this our day of days.
As a matter of fact, we are collectively dancing on tables with roses in our lovely mouths.

Back me up on this all you lovely mothers (of both sexes) out there.
(Not that we're opposed to a partay HERE as well....)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 10:35:17 AM »

The mothers of this site have been abandoned by too many errant and truant mothers.  That is unseemly and they will pay, oh, yes, they will pay (1.00 plux all applicable taxes).

td

• td
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 10:35:50 AM »

Well, I am around, if only briefly.
I got a call from work  - if they get busy, they're gonna call me in.  How doctor-like - I'm on call!
So I hurredly got the foodstuffs together for Mother's Day Dinner - even if I'm gone, the steaks are marinating (Coke, Worcestshire, Frank's Red Hot - a mere smidge, and garlic cloves) ready for the grill, the baked spuds are ready to go into the oven, the fresh vegetables are ready to be steamed and the fruit cups are filled with pineapple chuncks, watermelon chunks and cantelope chunks. Dinner is at five, even if i get called to work, I should be back no later than six.

Interesting post, DR Panni.  Now, I often thought about being a reincarnation of a famous person, but, never fantasized about being anyone's offspring.  Valentino, yes, I was his reincarnation!  Isidor Straus, I'm him reincarnated, too.  Some lovely lass from 18th Century France who went from the farm to the palace of the king, yeah, that's me, too.
Of course, the latter is cause for concern, not only gender-wise, but, strange as it may seem, several friends as well as several acquaintances have told me that when they have a dream about me, they see an auburn haired lass wearing a richly brocaded, green velvet gown with a string of pearls around her ivory neck!   I've seen a girl who looks like that in my dreams, but, she's always a contemporary Frenchwoman - once she was a militant - who is leading me through The Louvre.  She has never entered my dreamstate as a personage from a different century, though.

Now, does anyone else have any reincarnation tales?

I'm also reading a wonderful book (Attention DRs Pogue and Panni) about the area that I live in.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/059530155X/qid=1084123930/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1__i1_xgl14/104-1206240-8195138?v=glance&s=books

The miner's strikes have been personalized, the author is the daughter of one of the miners, newspaper clippings dot the chapters and a murder takes place in the cemetary of the church that I belong to. . .It isn't KRITZERLAND, but it is a remarkable story which will someday make a fascinating film.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2004, 10:41:56 AM »

It's Mother's Day, that's what I'M talkin' about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2004, 10:42:07 AM »

And one for Mahler.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up