Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RATHER NICE DAY  (Read 10504 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re: THE RATHER NICE DAY
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2010, 11:04:46 PM »

Hi everyone - as usual, I'm alive.  Have been very E&T - but I'll try and catch up tomorrow.  The show is taking all of my energies at the moment, so much drama off stage that I could write a book.  But like Elmore, I'm saving it for the memoirs.  We had our orchestra read through today, and it was great.  Some holes in the orchestration that need fixing, but nothing worth losing sleep over.  They sound great and could follow my 5's and 7's without a problem. 

more tomorrow...

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2010, 11:05:07 PM »

Page 8 "CAR CHASE" dance.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2010, 11:58:40 PM »

So, I have been errant and truant for the last couple of days...with good reason!  Last night, my sister and I went to Seattle and attended the two different sets that The Manhattan Transfer performed at Dimitriou's Jazz Alley!  We left Olympia at about 4:15 and got there a little before 6:00 p.m.  The first set didn't start until 7:30, so we went to our seats at the bar and had a great view of the stage.  The stools weren't very comfortable, but they were worth the view.  The Manhattan Transfer have been together for almost 40 years and they've still got it.  They sounded wonderful...and I was paying attention. ;) The first set was about an hour and 20 minutes and the second set, which didn't start until 10:00 p.m., was about an hour and a half. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »

After the first set, we were seated at a table much closer to the stage, but off to the side...and still a great view.  We had dinner just before the second show started.  For dinner, my sister had "Jumbo Wild Mushroom Ravioli tossed with sautéed shitake and oyster mushrooms in a rich Marsala sauce" and I had "Jazz Alley Ceasar Entree - hearts of romaine chilled and tossed in a traditional Caesar dressing with roasted croutons and grated Parmesan."  My sister really liked the ravioli, but my salad was just a Caesar salad.  It did, however, have a lot of chicken, so that was good.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »

The second show was just as good as the first.  There were only three or four songs shared between sets, so it's really like having a first act, dinner, then a second act.  This is the third time that I've seen them at Jazz Alley and if when they come back, I'll go again!

George

« Reply #215 on: October 24, 2010, 12:03:33 AM »

DR Jose, what a sweet, adorable photo..of both of you!

Ditto! :D

George

« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2010, 12:04:10 AM »

Well, I got up way too early today and judged the wine competition. They wanted us there by 8:15 and they had us out the door by 12:30. It was really well-organized and everything went quickly. I judged 48 wines, which is light for a competition -- and really welcome. Because they had so many judges, it meant that my nose didn't get tired. There was no palate fatigue, no great struggle to discern some subtle characteristic.

There was only one bad part: Almost every single wine was atrocious. Not just bad, but aggressively bad.

At least you know what's supposed to be good.  I drink the "good stuff" and it's still seems bad to me. :P

(FYI...I don't drink at all. ;))

George

« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2010, 12:05:10 AM »

I'll have more to say about Olivia's paintings in the notes.  But here's an example of one of my favorites:

That's a very nice painting, BK! 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up