Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BREAKFAST CLUB  (Read 76590 times)

Ben

Re:THE BREAKFAST CLUB
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2004, 10:17:49 AM »

I'm not sure why some people think Caroline should win. DR Jose, I'm of the same opinion. You said "I thought it was more interesting than good" There were some very good things about the show, Anika Noni Rose being the main thing. But there is just something about it that doesn't work for me. An excellent 11oclock number by Pinkins and some other good pieces of work don't make a Tony award winning show IMHO (in my humble opinion). Having seen all 4 musicals nominated, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Avenue Q to win Best Musical but I don't think it's going to happen. Oh, well. In less than a month, all will be revealed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 10:20:20 AM by Ben »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2004, 10:18:18 AM »

Now I am really confused!  Who got the nominated for the Tony Award?  Richard Carlson or Hugh Marlowe?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2004, 10:19:27 AM »

Wasn't it Christopher Marlowe :-)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2004, 10:31:27 AM »

Wasn't it Christopher Marlowe :-)

Best revival?
[/b] ???
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2004, 10:37:27 AM »

I just heard that the Kristen/Patti (poorly received) CANDIDE has been taped for PBS.  I was not about to pay the inflated prices they were charging, so I'll see it then and see if it as mediocre as I've heard.

I listened to (and recorded) this broadcast, and I enjoyed it.  Of course, it's entirely possible that my standards are too low, but I enjoyed it.  But then I really like Kristin and love Patti.  So there you are.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2004, 10:39:12 AM »

I hope all you West-coasters enjoyed breakfast.

AS for TOD, never been much for the Marx Brothers.  So I shall remain silent.

Ben

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2004, 10:39:21 AM »

From TCB

"Now I am really confused!  Who got the nominated for the Tony Award?  Richard Carlson or Hugh Marlowe?"

Not sure if you're serious TCB. If so, neither one got a nomination. I think JRand and MBarnum were speaking in jest.

If you're not serious, then pardon my intrusion into your post ;-)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2004, 10:48:02 AM »

I should never read the posts before I have my second cup of coffee.  When I read Ben's Tony Nominees List, I thought it said that Tony Perkins was nominated as Best Leading Actress in a Musical, for Caroline, or Change.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 10:49:23 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2004, 10:50:05 AM »

Jay, I read the column last night...but I've had no sleep, you expect me to remember details?  I always read the column...even if I don't post.  And, Yes, BK, after pancakes and sleep, I may knock off chunk of a certain manuscript I've got on my nightstand.
Oh dear, how messy, papers all knocked onto the floor like that...

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2004, 10:50:58 AM »

It could give new meaning to why Caroline had to change.
“One thing’s universal,

William E. Lurie

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2004, 11:08:28 AM »

George---
Much of what the critics disliked about the CANDIDE concert was the visuals and the book changes which added topical jokes.  Also Patti's diction problems were mentioned (something that used to be a such a  problem  that it was noted in "Forbidden Broadway" but that hasn't occured since her prior to her one-woman show).  The music was generally admired.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2004, 11:16:08 AM »

Re: Tony Best Musical Showcases:

The trend in recent years has been to use a number that gives everyone in the cast a chance to be on stage.  So my best hunches would be the following:

"One Day in the Emerald City" from Wicked, as it utilizes the entire cast.  This will probably lead off the show, because it takes Menzel a while to get out of her makeup (I've heard she practically has to steam it off).

Avenue Q will probably use "It Sucks to Be Me," as it uses most everyone in the cast.  Katie Monster doesn't have the same make-up problems as Idina.

The Boy From Oz will of course showcase Jackman, and will probably have the mid-show spot, to keep the show from getting too dull.  Any number that boasts lots of chorus will work.

This leaves Caroline, or Change.  I'm not familiar with the score (has it been recorded yet?), but this is the one case where I can see the selected number featuring the star, Pinkins.  Who will then be standing in the wings as the "Best Actress" award is given...to someone else.  And the camera will linger on her a second or two too long, just to make everyone uncomfortable.

We might also get Revival featured numbers.  But again, I would lay odds on numbers featuring chorus.  That way, we'll get lots of confusing cuts away from whoever is singing at the moment, in favor of shots from cameras close to stage level, looking up at the now unrecognizable performers.  And there will be no performance from Big River, for the obvious closure reason.

Whoever is directing the show is probably glad I Am My Own Wife isn't a musical, since it's also a one-man show.  How can they train the camera on the wrong person when there's no other person to shoot?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2004, 11:17:55 AM »

I'm not a Marx Bros. fan.  Say La Vie.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2004, 11:46:14 AM »

I wonder if they will do a song from BIG RIVER since it closed so long ago. It would be so interesting to see it done with the signing. They may just use some taped excerpts like they did with JUAN DARIAN.

But I suspect we'll see live excerpts from ASSASSINS, WONDERFUL TOWN, and FIDDLER.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2004, 12:14:05 PM »

DR Matt, they won't be doing a number from Big River. If it was nominated but it's closed, it won't get air time according to the powers that be.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2004, 12:32:55 PM »

Woody---
CAROLINE has been recorded but (except for a 20 minute selection for Tony voters) not yet released.  I think it's due in mid-July.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2004, 12:34:06 PM »

Where in tarnation is everyone?
“One thing’s universal,

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2004, 12:36:04 PM »

Where in tarnation is everyone?

At Du-Par's, I suspect.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2004, 01:03:36 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I AM CLEAN!!!!!

YIPPEE!!!

WHOOPEE!!!

WHEW!!!!

(BIG sigh of relief!!!)

Plus, my doc didn't even charge me for the visit today!!!

So...

As for the sense that Caroline, or Charge should win...  I just get the impression from a lot of people, that since it's such an "important" piece... that it deals with such serious subject matter... that it presents such a personal portrait of someone... that it is a "difficult" piece... even that Frank Rich devoted lots of ink to it...  And this "praise" even spills over into Tonya Pinkins' chances for snagging the Tony for her performance.  I just dunno.  I'm not a Tony voter, so maybe my impressions are truly those of an outsider.  We shall see...

As for the number from Avenue Q - The writers have been writing custom material for various presentations (tour groups, etc.)... They could have lots of fun.  Maybe they could do some of the more "adult" numbers, and just have the offending words "bleeped" out, or changed to other like-sounding, but not offensive words.  -And maybe they'll feature Stephanie D'Abruzzo doing a snippet of "It's A Fine Fine Line" - which broke my heart in the theatre.

DR SWW - I just saw the promo for the new 2-hour block of "Good Eats" on Wednesday nights on FoodTV!  YUMMY!!

Hmmm... I'm meeting a friend for dinner at 5:00.... So, the question is "To cocktail, or not to cocktail?" ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2004, 01:10:37 PM »

I have returned from DuPar's.  A fine time was had by all.  There were seven of us in attendance.  I shall let Dear BK fill you in with the details.  And the evidential photographs.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »

I was about to say...how LONG does it take to eat?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2004, 01:21:12 PM »

This is DuPar's we're talking about.  How long it takes to eat is in line with how long the waitresses have been working there.

Lacking historical monuments, Los Angeles relies on it's long term wait staff.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2004, 01:21:34 PM »

Back from a long and sparkling breakfast with Jane and her beloved Keith, the Pogues, Panni and Jay.  It was simply too too.  The Pogues poo-pood the pancakes, but I insisted they have a bite of mine, and after said bite they were hooked, I tell you, hooked.  Here is Panni, Jane, Keith and Jay.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2004, 01:21:49 PM »

'Twas the pleasure of the company that extended the duration of our repast, Dear Reader JRand53.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2004, 01:22:22 PM »

Here are the Pogues, reading their menus.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2004, 01:23:14 PM »

Here are all that is left of the BK pancakes - shared by bk, pogues, and panni.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2004, 01:24:06 PM »

Panni, who rarely eats enough, leaves over half of her lovely English Muffin.  Need proof?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2004, 01:24:51 PM »

Jane's leftover pancakes - with boysenberry syrup.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2004, 01:25:59 PM »

Finally, a group photo outside the restaurant:

bk, jay, panni, pogue, jane and keith

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2004, 01:28:31 PM »

I love the pictures of the leftovers. And the pictures of the people are nice, too.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up