Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BREAKFAST CLUB  (Read 76580 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:THE BREAKFAST CLUB
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2004, 01:29:58 PM »

But where's the picture of the waitress?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2004, 01:41:58 PM »

We had a waiter so I didn't take one.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2004, 01:45:22 PM »

Finally, a group photo outside the restaurant:

bk, jay, panni, pogue, jane and keith

What a fab photo!  Very festive.  I'm jealous!  DR Jane is a brunette; I expected a blond because of her web photo!  She and Keith are indeed a handsome couple.

Everyone looks very contented, and I know how Du-Par's can do that for you, but I also know that DR Jay is right about the pleasant company.  For a moment I thought the Pogues' photo was Guy Haines  and a date.  Didn't you invite him?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2004, 01:49:15 PM »

Do you want to know why I have merciless sport with these self-proclaimed "reviewers" at DVD sites?  Read this http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196905review of Monster - I mean, do these people have even a modicum of writing skills and if not why are they "reviewing" DVDs for what purports to be an important DVD site?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2004, 01:53:02 PM »

Breakfast was fun. Except I somehow got jam or syrup in my purse (which was on the floor). Other than that, lots of laughs. Great to meet DRs Jane and Keith. I expected them to look seventeen and be in bathing suits. They still look pretty young, though - but no bathing suits. Next time it will have to be a pool party.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2004, 01:57:09 PM »

I don't think CAROLINE has a chance of winning.  The show is only on Broadway because the Times is in love with Tony Kushner and gave it a good review at Joe Papp's so they figured that it would do good on Broadway but the other papers who disliked it downtown still disliked it after the move.  And it won't tour so there goes the out-of-town voters.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2004, 01:57:22 PM »

How much fun is that?

It's like being there, without the jam in my purse.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2004, 02:01:13 PM »

MR BK I can only hope English is a second language for that reviewer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2004, 02:02:01 PM »

Dear reader Jenny sends her best and will be back as soon as she rids herself of the virus currently on her home computer.  Said virus causes photos of naked Russian children to present themselves willy-nilly and also nilly-willy.  Now, here conundrum is this: She can't get online to rid herself of the worm - is there a way to do it offline if someone posts the cure and I send it to her via e-mail?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2004, 02:13:09 PM »

DR Jose, one mustn't forget about the Tony voters who live outside NYC and are in charge of national tours of shows. Their numbers are larger than the "in the know" NYCers and are generally given as the reason THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE won Best Musical over URINETOWN and THE LION KING over RAGTIME. They felt those shows would have a healthier life on the road if they had the Best Musical Tony as a prize to herald their achievements.

I'm not saying it always works this way - obviously PASSION won over BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, but there were other forces at play that year.

I honestly think AVENUE Q has a better shot at beating WICKED than CAROLINE.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 02:13:53 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2004, 02:16:21 PM »

Why don't you bore a hole in yourself and let the sap run out?  ;D

You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I bet he was glad to get rid of it. ::)

Don't look now, but there's one man too many in this room, and I think it's you.  :-*

(As a card carrying Writers Guild member, I feel obligated to point out that these cherce lines were not made up on the spot by the brothers Marx (or Engels). Obscure scribes like S.J. Perelman contributed to the mirth.)

VinTek

• Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2004, 02:16:33 PM »

BK,

Won't DR Jenny have to get online if you send her a fix via e-mail?  It sounds like she has a browser hijacker rather than a virus or worm on her computer (if these photos are showing up in Internet Explorer).  There is a free program called Ad-Aware that she can install that should fix the problem.  You can get it at http://www.lavasoftusa.com .  Another good program is Spybot Search and Destroy.  It is also free and can be found at download.com .  Get me more info about how the virus (if it is a virus) behaves, and we'll see if we can't get her fixed up in short order.

BTW, sorry I couldn't make it to breakfast, but I was with you all in spirit.
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again
- Marin County newspaper listing for The Wizard of Oz

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2004, 02:18:10 PM »

I'm not a Marx Bros. fan.  Say La Vie.

I'm not much of a fan, either.

Also, "La Vie."  There, I said it.  Now what?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2004, 02:20:30 PM »

VinTek - I was about to suggest the same software....it got rid of a worm that I had that I couldn't get rid of any other way.  And I think Mr BK also uses Ad Aware.

True DRPANNI....so true.  And a Kauffman said once at the back of the house during a stage performance of one of his shows for the Brothers Marx:  "Oh My God....wait a second....I think I just heard something I wrote."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2004, 02:28:34 PM »

I'll recommend adaware.  She can get e-mail online at school, but her conundrum is that she can't get online at home.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2004, 02:31:45 PM »

Dear reader Jenny sends her best and will be back as soon as she rids herself of the virus currently on her home computer.  Said virus causes photos of naked Russian children to present themselves willy-nilly and also nilly-willy.  Now, here conundrum is this: She can't get online to rid herself of the worm - is there a way to do it offline if someone posts the cure and I send it to her via e-mail?

I must have one of those Rumsfeld viruses.  I keep getting naked pictures of Iraqi detainees popping up on my screen.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2004, 02:55:08 PM »

Do you want to know why I have merciless sport with these self-proclaimed "reviewers" at DVD sites?  Read this http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196905review of Monster - I mean, do these people have even a modicum of writing skills and if not why are they "reviewing" DVDs for what purports to be an important DVD site?

I don't normally read the reviews there, but since you offered a link, I clicked and read. You're right; it's wretched writing puffed up in an attempt to resemble someone more learned than the writer obviously is. It's very frustrating to read this kind of composition which subsequently goes on to get kudos from follow-up readers on the site! Argh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2004, 02:58:20 PM »

Oh, my droogs, I am now the proud owner of Billie on DVD, starring our very own Miss Patty Duke.

The "reviews" on that site are all like that, with the exception of the fellow who mostly reviews the classics - he's just boring, but not a total idiot.  The others are all barely out of their teens, but you'd think they'd have at least an inkling of how to construct a sentence or a thought, and even if they didn't, you'd think they'd at least proof the drivel they write.  And yes, then all the other idiots come on and say "Great review".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2004, 03:02:45 PM »

Viewing, viewing, viewing (that is three viewings) - Everyone is viewing.  Some are renewing the viewing, whilst some are doing the viewing.  Is anyone rueing the viewing?  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 03:03:02 PM by bk »

Michael

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2004, 03:08:52 PM »

Someone last week was asking about the differences between the two LP releases of Coco. I had to wait until I got home to look it up.

On the first issue: The Overture fades directly into the first song (But That's They Way You Are)

On the second issue: There is a short pause between.

On the first issue:   The Money Rings Out Like Freedom has a long dance section.

On the second issue: The dance section has been cut

On the first issue: The monologue preceding the song Gabrielle has a silent background

On the second issue: The monlogue is underscored using the music of Coco.

On the first issue: Orbach's, Bloomingdales, Best and Saks is missing a very short segment of dance music.

On the second issue: The short segment has been reinstated, but the long dance segment on the first issue has been cut.

The second issue was also remixed.

To tell which LP release you have. Look at the label. The first issue you will see that each song is numbered and they are uniformed. They look like this.

On the second issue/remix the numbers are staggered. Like this

An interesting side bar.  Jack Dabdoub dubbed the voice of the actor playing the Grand Duke Alexandrovitch . He was played by Bob Avian
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2004, 03:11:02 PM »

Great pictures from The Breakfast Club.  Charles, were you ever one of the regulars on Home Improvement?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2004, 03:17:11 PM »

Not sure if you're serious TCB. If so, neither one got a nomination. I think JRand and MBarnum were speaking in jest.

If you're not serious, then pardon my intrusion into your post ;-)

I certainly hope not, Ben.  I believe both gentlemen passed away several years ago.
“One thing’s universal,

Robin

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2004, 03:21:34 PM »

I love it when deeveedee reviewers write about "edge enhancement".  What the hell is "edge enhancement" supposed to be, anyway?  

Good God, that Monster reviewer really has his head up his nether regions, doesn't he?  I think his edges need enhancing.  

I just finished watching the new deeveedee of Dracula Has Risen from the Grave.  I wonder whether or not "edge enhancement" could've detracted from my enjoyment of the movie?  

The Significant Other and myself will be watching the Disney version of Tarzan later tonight.  I wonder if his edges will be enhanced?
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »

Loved the pictures of the breakfast get together! Someday we really must have an HHW get together for our northwest denizens.

I think we should do it this summer in Portland...what say you TCB, Jed, JMK, Jane, Ann and anyone else in the vicinity who I am forgetting!

BILLIE...JRand53 sent me a copie of that a few years back. I don't know what I really though of it. It was strangly entertaining and yet I don't know if I liked it or not. Very odd indeed.

George

« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2004, 03:24:59 PM »

Someone last week was asking about the differences between the two LP releases of Coco. I had to wait until I got home to look it up....

Actually Michael, I had asked about the differences between the album and the CD release.  I didn't know that there were two album releases.  I'll have to check which one I have and compare it with the CD.  Anyway, thanks for the info!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2004, 03:25:16 PM »

The Billie DVD is full frame, but since the director is not very good (Don Weis) and basically a TV sort of guy, I'm sure it will be fine.

Edge enhancement - someone would have to come to my house and point it out to me.  Every time they post screenshots showing the supposed horrifying edge enhancement, I simply don't see it.  These dweebs all went to the same "school" - all they know is "solid blacks" "gray scale" "edge enhancement" "debris" (I mean they ALL use the exact same terminology!) and other such bushwa.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2004, 03:26:14 PM »

I'm looking forward to Billie since it has hullabaloo type dancing, and it even has Miss Donna McKechnie amongst its chorines.

George

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2004, 03:26:56 PM »

Loved the pictures of the breakfast get together! Someday we really must have an HHW get together for our northwest denizens.

I think we should do it this summer in Portland...what say you TCB, Jed, JMK, Jane, Ann and anyone else in the vicinity who I am forgetting!

Me!  I remember last year, several people talking about meeting sometime this spring in Portland.  Summer should be fine, also.  I'm certainly up for it!

Robin

« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2004, 03:31:32 PM »

I think a HHW get-together would be great, but as far as I know, I'm the only one in about a 400-mile radius.

So sad to be all alone in the world.

Robin

« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2004, 03:35:26 PM »

By the way, Sorry, Wrong Number with Miss Stanwyck was quite a dull affair, save for the last few minutes.   There were flashbacks within flashbacks, for Pete's sake!  I enjoyed seeing Mister Lancaster, but then, I always enjoy seeing him.  

I wonder if edge enhancement marred my enjoyment of the film.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up