Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: A SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID SHOW  (Read 11334 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re: A SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID SHOW
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's raining in New York City.

*Hope you brought your umbrellas DR edisaurus.

Umbrellas and raincoats, yes!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »

Sorry to read that David Cassidy got arrested for DUI.

That was on the news ticker at NBC. Always amazes me that we overlook earthquakes and floods in other countries for crap like this.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »

And speaking of "Jews and Baseball", I won't be able to join the HHW Gang tomorrow night at The Quad for the 6:30 screening, but I should be at the 4:40 screening, so maybe I'll be able to get some Hello's and Hugs on the way out/in.

We'll be there to hug you! And I love the page 4 dance!
 :D

Edisaurus

« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »

Edi, I saw the photos of you and Mamasaurus from Bonnie's link on FB,  You both look FABULOUS!

Thank you, Cillaliz! We had a great time that night!

Edisaurus

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »

TOD: My one and only Harry Nilsson, especially singing "What'll I Do"?  Melt...

And Der Bingle, of course...

Edisaurus

« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »

We had some good eating today...croissants and macarons at the (former) Madeline's. (Mom thought macarons were "too sweet". Whaaa??) Naz though the almosd crossants at our French bakery in Marietta were better. (He's right!) But they haven't had the Petrossian ones, yet. Maybe tomorrow!

Lunch was soup dumpings and turnip shortbreak at Joe's Shanghai in Chinatown. I tried to talk them into the braised pork shoulder but they wanted more "American" fare and got sesame chicken. Not so good...very tough.

Dinner was at the Edison before the show, and I picked up some local beer (McSorley's)...much more pleasant that going to the actual bar.

Edisaurus

« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2010, 09:58:31 PM »

We "hopped off" at Chinatown, Ground Zero, (got to see the plans for the memorial...looks like it will be wonderful) Battery Park (missed the last ferry) and then looped back around ob the GRay Line to Times Square where I got them settled in and then hit the TKTS booth. And yes, the seller warned me about Ms. C not being in the show. We got great seats, too.

Edisaurus

« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »

I'm getting too tired for a frenzy...didn't sleep well last night...beer...night all! See some of you anon...can't wait!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »

Oh, I'm not sure if any DRs were watching - I wasn't - but NBC has cancelled "Undercovers".

I just watched it last night.  I'm not surprised that it's cancelled.  It was just okay...nice eye candy, though. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2010, 10:30:30 PM »

I am a Facebook neophyte--can some of you tell me if you got the invitation to BK's "event" in Portland?  Thanks.

I saw two different notices and responded to both. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2010, 10:35:58 PM »

After last week's show, I need to stay up and watch PRIVATE PRACTICE tonight.

The previews look chilling. 

I'm watching it right now. :-X

FJL

« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »

Another day of very little getting done.

George

« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »

I bought my baseball ticket

Hooray!!!

And I bought a little something to send to George! :-)

Cool!  I can't wait to get it! :D

George

« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »

And today, I received a lovely little package from Jane!  Thank you, Jane! :-*

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »

Good Evening!

I went to see "A Quiet Place" at City Opera tonight. I have very vague memories of seeing the revised-original production at The Kennedy Center back in 1984, as I sat in the StateKoch Theater tonight, those memories became even more vague - at least in regards to the physical production.  Musically speaking, I remembered quite a bit, and with "Trouble in Tahiti" interpolated into the second act, I was on very familiar ground for a while.

26 years later, Bernstein's score still awes and puzzles me at the same time.  This was Bernstein's only full-length opera, and it had quite a rocky gestational period.  Is it perfect? No. But at the same time, it does feel complete, even with the purposely indeterminate ending.

I thought the physical production was a bit too sparse, and that the lighting was a bit too harsh, but it all worked with the director's concept. -And I'd have to say that the somewhat "psychological" staging just muddled the already cerebral plot.  But I give credit to New York City Opera for finally bringing "A Quiet Place" to New York City, and for taking the risk to present it.  -Especially since it's coupled this fall with Strauss' "Intermezzo".*
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2010, 11:08:51 PM »

*And since I was already booked to see "Intermezzo", that is why I am not able to attend the 6:30 screening of "Jews and Baseball".  Sadly, unless the partay goes late, I probably won't be able to make the post-screening festivities either. :(  But, again, hopefully, I'll be able to see some DRs on my way out of The Quad.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »

DR edisaurus - Sounds like you and your mom and Naz had a very good and full day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »

The Broadway station on XM had the revival cast of Sweet Charity on tonight, which I've never heard before.  Loved the orchestrations, thought Applegate was OK, but was obviously trying to channel Verdon.  Didn't like O'Hare, at least in his affected voice.  When he belted, he was great.  But where oh where did "A Good Impression" come from?  Was it a Coleman/Fields trunk song?

DR JMK - Yes, "A Good Impression" was pulled from Cy Coleman's "trunk" before he died. Apparently, it was written for the original production of Sweet Charity, but cut early on.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2010, 11:18:14 PM »

We've just locked down our one and only LACCTAA event, but it's a doozie - a panel of the busiest directors of LA musical theater - Lewis Wilkenfeld (the artistic director of Cabrillo Music Theater), Steve Glaudini (the artistic director of Musical Theater West), Daniel Henning (the artistic director of the Blank Theater), Michael Michetti (director of many Reprise shows and straight plays at A Noise Within, as well as tons of waiver theater musicals), and Calvin Remsberg (lots of musicals around town - and best known as Beadle Bamford in Sweeney Todd).  I'd say that's a pretty stellar panel.

Let's just hope that they all don't get even busier, and then have to cancel and send their assistant directors in their place.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2010, 11:23:15 PM »

Back from the Gardenia - we had a ton of fun before the show, and the singer was perky, but the act, originally directed by Barry Kleinbort and MD'd by Chris Denny (here Shelly Markham) was very strange and kind of a textbook example of everything I don't like about cabaret and that I strive to stay away from.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2010, 11:24:01 PM »

And speaking of the opera... I have to be back at Lincoln Center in eight hours to attend the final dress rehearsal of Mozart's Cosi fan tutte - which features BariHunk, Nathan Gunn and some other wonderful singers.  My friend, Bradley, is making his Met debut with this production as an assistant conductor to William Christie, and he was able to snag a rehearsal pass for me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »

Back from the Gardenia - we had a ton of fun before the show, and the singer was perky, but the act, originally directed by Barry Kleinbort and MD'd by Chris Denny (here Shelly Markham) was very strange and kind of a textbook example of everything I don't like about cabaret and that I strive to stay away from.

OH! So I guess the show would not be what you'd call a "guilty pleasure", huh? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2010, 11:37:19 PM »

Oy.. OK...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2010, 11:42:41 PM »

Good night, Jose.  I need to get to bed, too, so I'm off.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »

Sunset Blvd invited preview was well received.  It's coming together.  It's nice when a dream becomes a reality. 

Good night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »

OH! So I guess the show would not be what you'd call a "guilty pleasure", huh? ;)

You saw the act?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up