Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OF THINGS POETIC  (Read 33007 times)

Tomovoz

Re:OF THINGS POETIC
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2004, 05:56:40 PM »

I didn't see "The Visitors" but it too sounds like an unpleasant film. A long time since I saw "Straw Dogs" but I do remember not enjoying the film nor having sympathy for the husband or the wife trapped by their own naivity. 30+ years later my appreciation and views may have changed considerably. I just don't think I will revist the film again anyway.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2004, 06:00:33 PM »

Sandra/aka Swedish Chef.... "Graduation vibes" seem a little silly... but it can't hurt."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2004, 06:04:19 PM »

PAGE FIVE! I won't dance, don't ask me...  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2004, 06:56:29 PM »

In our discussion of documentaries yesterday, I forgot to mention MOON OVER BROADWAY another Pennebaker film.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2004, 07:24:06 PM »

There is an Icelandic movie playing up at the Hollywood theater in Portland called SEAGULL'S LAUGHTER. Has anyone seen it? It sounds very good and I am contemplating going to it Sunday evening (by myself of course as my buddies wouldn't think of seeing something with subtitles! Shees!)  :(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2004, 07:29:07 PM »

Hello, all!  Just got back from seeing TROY with my goddaughter Charlotte.  It's long, it's got several good performances, and it plays fast and loose with the various legends of the Trojan War (no 10 years here, maybe 10 weeks!), but I still enjoyed it, perhaps not as much as the Robert Wise version from the 1950s.  I really enjoyed Eric Bana, Peter O'Toole, Sean Bean, and Brad Pitt, but I missed several essential characters like Cassandra, Hecuba, other princes of Troy (Priam had 50 children!) like Troilus and Aeneas, who pops up at the end as a nobody who suddenly has greatness thrust upon him.  

Briseis' character, the love of Achilles, is a combo of the ILIAD's Briseis and the Trojan princess in one of the Troy legends, set up as a peace marriage between her and Achilles, and Patroclus is not more than a friend as Shakespeare made clear in TROILUS AND CRESSIDA.  I thought the director and writer - although I'll never know what he originally intended - made a bit about the parallels between Iraq and Troy but totally ignored the horror of the aftermath, from Cassandra's death as a concubine of Agamemnon or the great emotional upheaval of Euripides' TROJAN WOMEN.  Someday, although I doubt any budget could stand it, I wish we'd get a better overview of the Trojan War from the judgment of Paris through the disbursement of the Greeks afterwards, maybe including the 10 years' wandering of Odysseus.  Dramatically, I think the best plays about the war are TROILUS AND CRESSIDA (Fry, lechery!) and TROJAN WOMEN.

I also missed the sacrifice of Iphigenia at Aulis, lured there by a supposed marriage to Achilles and killed by her screwed-up father to promote a war (I could see George W doing that!), and I missed some humor, which is very abundant in the ILIAD, especially when Hera seduces Zeus so the Greeks can get some wins in while Achilles sulks.

Sword and sandal beefcake fans will love the bare chests, and Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom have some rather revealing moments as well.  However, the women don't!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2004, 07:31:09 PM »

I was on my way, then decided I just couldn't sit through it again so soon after seeing it.  So, here I be.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2004, 07:41:35 PM »

Oh, I meant to include a sonnet I wrote last year during some introspection, entitled FROGS AND PRINCES

She kissed him and her frog became the handsomest of princes;
The story says it ended in the tenderest of clinches.
Well, good for her!  I wish I had her luck when I was aiming
To find my prince; instead I kissed a million frogs all claiming
Their blood was blue and they were meant to be my royal lover,
And I believed them all since I'm a fairytale  pushover.

But none were princes, sad to say, I wanted princely beauty
(Our shallow time dictates pursuit of glamor is our duty)
And so I passed up several frogs that could have been my new love
Pursuing handsome princes that I hoped would be my true love.
Their pedigrees were excellent, likewise their style and diction
But selfish and conceited, not at all like those in fiction!

I hope one day I find true love, I'll see him and I'll know him;
As for princes and the dogs they daye, well that's another poem!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 07:42:29 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2004, 08:00:12 PM »

Dear Reader TCB,

Same thing happened yesterday on my side when i checked the site all night long; it was Dear Reader SWW's picture which was replaced by a Red Cross... I mean a red X!

Any meaning to that?
Your computer doesn't like dog pictures?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2004, 08:05:09 PM »

In our discussion of documentaries yesterday, I forgot to mention MOON OVER BROADWAY another Pennebaker film.
I mentioned it for you.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2004, 08:05:36 PM »

Well I didn't do any dvd watching just a lot ot tv channel hopping. What crap is out there. I missed the day when there was five networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, CBC & CTV)and NET. Porgrams were usually better
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2004, 08:06:58 PM »

...I really enjoyed Eric Bana, Peter O'Toole, Sean Bean, and Brad Pitt, but I missed several essential characters like Cassandra, Hecuba, other princes of Troy (Priam had 50 children!)
And a very tired wife or two.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2004, 08:13:19 PM »

And a very tired wife or two.

Or three or four!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2004, 08:14:56 PM »

Why in the world do you want to go to New Zambia??? :o

Is there a new Ziemba already?  Because the old one is, you know, still very good.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2004, 08:18:14 PM »

Tonight was the "Good Taste" fundraiser for the Rehoboth Art League.  25 bucks a ticket, walk around town to various restaurants and sample appetizers and look at art by local artists.

It would have worked better if all the restaurants had actually shown some art, because some didn't.  It would have worked better if some of the restaurants had tried to showcase what their kitchens can do, because some didn't.

There was one artist, working in "mixed media compositions" (what some of us would call collage, but that reeks of glued paper and he was using wood, gold leaf, painted sections from old theater sets, stuff like that instead) whose work was interesting.  By way of coincidence, one thematic trick he likes to use is to compose a five inch square of various materials, and then write a haiku around the square.

Too bad we can't afford anything just now, because we'd add his work to our walls in an instant.

That his work was being displayed in the restaurant that best served it's appetizers, a Japanese restaurant specializing in sushi called Abstractions, was another coincidence.  Most of the restaurants simply set out a buffet; this place had a couple of waiters circulating around with trays of maki and such, a much more elegant way of getting guests to sample the food.

(And people told us there would never be anything to do when we moved, and that we'd be bored to tears.  Shows what they knew.)

François de Paris

« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2004, 08:20:19 PM »

I have to confide that to you!

It's 5:20 am here and I have 3 guests from the UK, completely loaded!, who ask me, after saying "good evening!! (well, the drinks don't help, I know!) where can they find a place to eat!

At 5:20 am!!
We're no palace here, with room service at all times!
I should have sent them to the Ritz!

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2004, 08:21:56 PM »

Playing around with photos day. Next up is some art work for Mike Shayne.  The South Isalnd Of NZ - Lake Tekapo.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2004, 08:23:49 PM »

Old dog Kelsey is getting more active daily.  He's been having trouble with his back legs, but somehow made it from der Brucer's room across the hall (with slippery hardwood floors) to my room, to explore and say hi.  He's also made it all the way down the hall to the dining room, trying to find der Brucer (who is usually in his office when this happens).  That's quite a trek for the old fellow!

And I've got another job interview lined up for Monday.  The timing on this is running really tight, because I'd like to get some on-the-job training in before Memorial Day arrives and the season hits.

François de Paris

« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2004, 08:24:58 PM »

You know, Dear Reader Noel, I thought hard to find something that could apply to Miss Zembia when I posted earlier but could not come up with anything...

Well done! You succeeded!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2004, 08:27:11 PM »

It's 5:20 am here and I have 3 guests from the UK, completely loaded!, who ask me, after saying "good evening!! (well, the drinks don't help, I know!) where can they find a place to eat!

At 5:20 am!!
We're no palace here, with room service at all times!
What a time to realize that Paris doesn't have all-night diners!   :-\

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2004, 08:28:34 PM »

For Mike Shayne:
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2004, 08:28:34 PM »

Sorry, Dear Reader S Woody White!

My computer is cat friendly only! ;)

... and it can't play music any longer either!
Pooh! :P

Except for the cd player that i used for the Waltz programme I had ealier!
Leroy Anderson's Waltzing Cat!

François de Paris

« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2004, 08:29:32 PM »

Btw -- born to waltz?!? -- Where is Dear Reader Jane?

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2004, 08:30:41 PM »

We have posted at identical times François. Wow!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2004, 08:31:24 PM »

I think DR Jane is still in the land of California.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2004, 08:38:04 PM »

I could not sit through STRAW DOGS in screenings close together.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2004, 08:47:45 PM »

I have been movie watching all day. WYATT EARP on laserdisc (to see if I wanted to upgrade). I COULD GO ON SINGING (to check out the laserdisc transfer - kind of oversaturated and smeary but it is the entire Panavision frame on the laser), SPY KIDS 3-D, and FULL METAL JACKET.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2004, 08:49:41 PM »

SPY KIDS 3-D is the best 3-D technology utilized for the home theater that I've seen. I actually enjoyed it.

François de Paris

« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2004, 08:49:42 PM »

I don't know about you, but I getting real tired and sick of seeing pictures of Miss Lynndie England in papers, Foreign AND French, day after day!

Sick!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2004, 08:53:54 PM »

DR Danise not only gets to see Michael Ball in concert but gets to meet MBarnum at Borders. Some people have all the luck.

I just want to know what-the-Hell MBarnum is doing in Salt Lake City?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up