Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THANKS FOR THE RECIPES  (Read 15321 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: THANKS FOR THE RECIPES
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 06:45:56 AM »

Recipes...recipes...

Well, there's my Holiday Garlic Dip.

4 8oz. blocks of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (Neufchatel will do)
4 bulbs of garlic

In a large mixing bowl, cream the cream cheese with a hand mixer until softened.  Peel and press the 4 bulbs of garlic until someone asks if you're crazy.  Add the pressed garlic to the cream cheese and thouroughly mix.  Separate mixture into two serving bowls.  Garnish with chopped chives. Serve with chips and caution.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:53 AM »

Page Two Garlic Festival Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 06:49:02 AM »

You calling me a "wench", DR Dan (the Man)?!?! ;)

Thank You.

"Pretty wench"!

;)
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 06:55:30 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's sunny and cold here in SW Ohio and I'm waiting for a call back from the doctor's office about last week's blood tests.  No problem, just want to make sure about one of my prescriptions before I call in this month's refills.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »

DR Ben - take it easy on your first day back.  Say HI to anyone who's left there that I may know (the only one I can think of is Kief...)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »

DR Jose - thank you so much for the tip about straining yogurt with a coffee filter!  I'm about to try that, but have a couple of questions:  Refrigerate while waiting?  Wait for how long? 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 07:01:16 AM »

I have an appointment with my doctor at 3:30, so I am happy. I can plan the remainder of my week now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 07:02:14 AM »

Good Morning! I'm up and have walked 20 minutes on the treadmill in my shape up sneakers.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 07:02:31 AM »

Time now to get ready and take the girls to the vet. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »

I like the cook book idea. I have more I can post, just not right at this moment.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 07:03:50 AM »

I didn't get my homework done over the holiday, so I really have to work once I get to the office today.   I'm ready to get back

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 07:05:52 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 07:06:13 AM »

Congrats on being well enough to go back to work, Ben.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 07:07:29 AM »

Here's a favorite recipe from the past year:

Zucchini Cobbler

Filling:
8 tablespoons butter (see note)
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 bunch green onions, whites and half of the green tops chopped
10 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
4 or 5 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
Parmesan or other dry cheese, grated, to taste

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup ice-cold water
Parmesan cheese or other dry cheese, for garnish

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and stir in the garlic. Do not let it brown. Add zucchini and coat with butter. Let it warm through. Add green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper. Place in a casserole dish. Stir in basil. Top with Parmesan cheese, to taste.

To make the crust: Blend flour, cornmeal and salt. Add butter and work together with fingers or a pastry cutter until it’s like meal. Add the water and quickly form into a dough. Roll out on a floured surface into the shape needed to cover the cobbler. It should be no more than 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle cheese.

Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is done.

Note: I am a butter fanatic and think it is key to the filling of any cobbler. If you want less, you can cut it in half, but the filling won’t be quite as rich. You can also make this dish in smaller ramekins for single servings; but they will cook faster, so adjust your oven time.

Makes 4-6 main course servings or 12-14 side dish servings.

― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 07:38:53 AM »

Page Two Garlic Festival Dance:

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't maxi-pads supposed to be worn inside of your clothing?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 07:41:59 AM »

I'm devastated by the news of Pete Postlethwaite.  He played Brother Gilbert in my film DRAGONHEART.  He was a great pal on location and a great ally against a crude and insensitive director (as Pete once put it: "Just figure out where to put the camera, mate; we'll do the thinking.")  He was a funny and intelligent man, an immense talent, and I'll cherish our long nights in our local Slovakian bistro and our long conversations about art and life.  I raise a Pivo (Slovakian for beer) to you, Pete.  Thanks for keeping me sane in Slovakia.

John G.

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 08:06:54 AM »

I don't know that I knew you had written "Dragonheart," Charles Pogue. I loved that movie when I saw in the theaters on its original. I know it was the first time I remember seeing Pete P. And Richardson was wonderful to watch. It's time to see it again.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 08:23:07 AM »

DR Jose - thank you so much for the tip about straining yogurt with a coffee filter!  I'm about to try that, but have a couple of questions:  Refrigerate while waiting?  Wait for how long? 

Technically(?), it should be safe on the counter, however, it's probably safest to place it in the fridge. -And cover it loosely with plastic wrap.  As for how long, depending on the amount, it should only take a few hours, if that. Some recipes specify to "drain to desired consistency". It all depends what you're going to mix into it afterwards.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »

And...

I've cut my hair, and I think I'm going to go ahead and pack up my computer now just so that I can have that done. And then I can spend the next 90 minutes wondering what else I should put in or take out of my luggage. ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »

Thanks, DR Jose!  I'm straining plain yogurt for us to use on baked potatoes for tonight's dinner.

Sounds like you're ready for your new adventure - have a great time!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »

JohnG, might I recommend nosing around the main page of haineshisway.com (where the notes reside).  There you will find a link to what we called our Unseemly Interview section, where you will find many wonderful interviews, including an in-depth one with Pogue (elmore is there, too). My hope is we will begin doing them again this year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »

I went back to bed at three, was asleep by four, so I guess I've had six hours of sleep.

John G.

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »

JohnG, might I recommend nosing around the main page of haineshisway.com (where the notes reside).  There you will find a link to what we called our Unseemly Interview section, where you will find many wonderful interviews, including an in-depth one with Pogue (elmore is there, too). My hope is we will begin doing them again this year.
Thank you. That sounds a lot better and more interesting than the lecture I'm now reading for one of my classes. I'm on page four of six and I still don't know what it's about, other than the author does not know how to use an apostrophe.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »

How sad about Anne Francis, although not unexpected...I knew she had been very ill over this last year.

I met her several years back at one of the Ray Court's Hollywood shows. She was very fun, and very funny...she was having a great time and was seated at a table with the guy who played Superboy on tV back in the 1980s, Gerard Christopher. The two of them were having a blast.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »

These recipes are making me hungry.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 09:49:38 AM »

Good day one and all..

It appears I have a bit of freetime and I an drop in.

I went to work today and was greeted by campus security, my supervisor and several others and stated taht they were terminiating for standing up for myself.  Uncollegiality was also mentioned. I had no knowledge of thisat all

In a way I am relieved because the primary cause of the bullying and attacks have been removed, however I do need to find a job. I still plan on investigating the discriminiation complaint at this time.

If any one is aware of jobs up here let me know I could use the vibes.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:51:23 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 09:51:58 AM »

DR DakotaCelt that is terrible. Someone else is bullying you and you get terminated. That is crazy. I would definitely look into that because it cannot be right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »

Good day one and all..

It appears I have a bit of freetime and I an drop in.

I went to work today and was greeted by campus security, my supervisor and several others and stated taht they were terminiating for standing up for myself.  Uncollegiality was also mentioned. I had no knowledge of thisat all

In a way I am relieved because the primary cause of the bullying and attacks have been removed, however I do need to find a job. I still plan on investigating the discriminiation complaint at this time.

If any one is aware of jobs up here let me know I could use the vibes.

This is terrible! I am so sorry to hear this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Employment Vibes for our DR Dakotacelt! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »

DR Dakota Celt, I agree with DR Jenn--you need to contact a lawyer about this!

Oops!  I didn't read your post all the way through.

Don't let them get away with this!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:59:33 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »

* * * * *  Vibes for DR Dakota Celt  * * * * *
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up