Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STRANGE AND ODDLY LACKADAISICAL FRIDAY  (Read 9340 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE STRANGE AND ODDLY LACKADAISICAL FRIDAY
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »

Sometime around six this morning I woke up.  Sherlock snuggled into my arms & just as I was about to drift back to sleep he began snoring.  We stayed snuggled like that for close to forty minutes, with me wide awake.  There is no sleep for me with a snoring dog. ;D

Jane

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

Page two dance...

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »

Went to my first exercise class since before the holidays. It was a joke. A really bad joke. And now my body will ache for days. Perhaps until the next exercise class.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »

Off to see if I can get 50 pages read in Du Bois' "Souls of Black Folks." Class work begins.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »

Off to see if I can get 50 pages read in Du Bois' "Souls of Black Folks." Class work begins.

Somewhat tangentially related, I just watched my review copy of THE GREAT DEBATERS last night.  I was unexpectedly deeply, deeply moved.  I highly recommend this film to everyone.  Extremely touching and very well done.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »

And may I say that THE GREAT DEBATERS was able to at least partially remove the bad taste in my mouth (as well as my ears and eyes) that remained after SAW:  THE FINAL CHAPTER.

I've been having fun reading the booklets that come with AS YOU REMEMBER THEM.  I had completely forgotten that Sid Ramin wrote MUSIC TO WATCH GIRLS BY, to promote Diet Pepsi when it first came out.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »

Having a busy day, though not all that much fun.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »

Um, page two?  And not very far on page two at that?  This will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »

I'm back and must now write some pages.  Got stuff shipped, and I picked up two count them two packages.

Jane

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »

Somewhat tangentially related, I just watched my review copy of THE GREAT DEBATERS last night.  I was unexpectedly deeply, deeply moved.  I highly recommend this film to everyone.  Extremely touching and very well done.

We gave it four stars on NetFlix.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »

I used ot have a Laura Ashley dress... 

Another big name was Jessica McClintock

Guess Jeans were huge and yes I still have a pair!  They are a lovely shade of pink!

I also have a denim jacket from the 80s

http://www.liketotally80s.com/80s-dresses.html

Funny how some of the patterns are ccoming back. I have a number os soap opera clips and stills of clothes from the 1980s if you need soem more.

I used to have a dress that was similar to this one:

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »

I hope Adriana teases her hair...

Mall Hair was HUGE back then
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 02:38:13 PM »

Days used a lot of Laura Ashley back in th e1980s as did Santa Barbara

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »

Granny boots were big also in the 1980s

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

DH is taking me out to dinner and a movie.

We are going to see The King's Speech. It has finally opened here. I am looking forward to it.

I am curious to know if the Queen had any reaction to the movie being done about her father.

John G.

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »

Well, I managed to read 60 pages (only 60 to go) and get in a good nap. Now, time to start thinking about dinner.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »

And only on page two?
― Voltaire

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »

Other things that were big taht I recall are lip gloss especially Bonnie bell

Teen age girls carrying large purses and cans of Aqua net.

I was in my teens during that decade

Oh yes.. Spandex and leggings

It was not unusual to wear shrot leggings under a denim skirt, a torn tshirt and a jean jacket

polka dots were huge

Oddly, some of the shirts right now are a throwback to the 1980s

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »

also Jelly shoes were big

skimmers and ballet type slippers were huge among some and also pumps aka 3-4 inch heels in a WIDE range of colours exept white. At least in the area I lived in the kids thought the white shoes meant you were wearing your grandmother's shoes

Keds sneakers

Zubaz . and sadly they are back.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »

If you can get your hands on old copies of Seventeen magazine, it was a huge magazine with teen girls back in the 80s
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:52:59 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »

The preppy look was big in the early 1980s

and the scary part is that it is coming bacck

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »

Peasant blouses with a flowing skirt and boots were big also.

Prairie blouses with the lege of mutton sleeve were huge also

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »

Looking at the context of fashion..... Valleygirl is not too bad. Story is bad and the music is hit and miss but does have a lot of cultural inforamtion as does Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles

Jane

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:15 PM »

I used ot have a Laura Ashley dress... 

Another big name was Jessica McClintock

Guess Jeans were huge and yes I still have a pair!  They are a lovely shade of pink!

I have one McClintock sun dress which I took to Maui.  The eyeglass frame I just changed out after five years was also a McClintock.

I have one Laura Ashley sundress & three corduroy dresses, two similar in style with long straight sleeves, not fabric, to the one you pictured.

I'm not sure if any of my Guess jeans are from the eighties.

Jane

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »

Granny boots were big also in the 1980s

I have a pair of high cut purple Granny boots from 1970(?)  I never wear them.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »

DH is taking me out to dinner and a movie.

We are going to see The King's Speech. It has finally opened here. I am looking forward to it.

I am curious to know if the Queen had any reaction to the movie being done about her father.

Have a nice time.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »

Ihave a hard time finding dresses that fit properly because I am terribly short waisted

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »

Thank you Jane!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »

Ihave a hard time finding dresses that fit properly because I am terribly short waisted
One of my problems with Laura Ashley was the dresses tended to be high waisted & more fitted on the top.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »

Peasant blouses with a flowing skirt and boots were big also.

Prairie blouses with the lege of mutton sleeve were huge also

Makes me think of the mid to late seventies. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up