Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES  (Read 35029 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2004, 07:24:21 AM »

Good Morning!

-I can hear the "evil eyes" making their way down the hallway... "knock-knock-knock.... knock-knock-knock".  And I'm glad I did hear them since I forgot to set my alarm, and since I have rehearsal in a few hours... There's a good chance I would have been scrambling like made if I had not heard the "knock-knock-knock"... In any case....

Sandwiches... So many choices... So many favorites...  Open-face tuna salad with melted swiss on a bagel or rye... French dip (and, yes, a Philippe is indeed dee-lish!)...  a "hot sailor" which has pastrami and some other meats on it (can't remember which ones right now - supposedly the sandwich was invented in Richmond) slathered in good brown mustard...  a grilled pimento cheese...  Italian roast pork on ciabatta...  fried egg, tomato and mayo on white bread with a few grinds of black pepper (of course, only with in season tomatoes)...  herbed turkey breast with spinach and provolone...  a rueben/reuben (I've seen it spelled both ways (usually with extra sauerkraut!)...  grilled cheddar on rye with bacon and tomato (the snack bar at the beach my family would go to when I was younger served these - sooo good)...  meatloaf with sliced carrots, raisins (yes, raisins), lettuce and french dressing on whole wheat...  gyros with extra tzatziki... and on and on and on and on (ah, a Maltby & Shire reference)...

I've come to like the sandwiches from the Pot Belly chain - basically very simple - and their giardiniera is not too bad.  I also like most of the concoctions they come up with at Cosi.

At home, I usually just put whatever deli meats I have on hand on a piece of bread, cheese maybe... mayo, mustard...  And sometimes, a good ole PB&J just can't be beat - especially with a tall glass of really cold milk.

Side dishes: Onion rings, mashed sweet potatoes, creamed spinach, fried mushrooms, greek-style potato salad (mainly dressed with olive oil and lemon juice), german potato salad (love the bacon dressing), traditional american potato salad (in all it's variations), three bean salad, french fries (with black pepper on them - and sometimes dipped in a mixture of ketchup, mustard and mayo), cole slaw, pineapple cole slaw, glazed carrots, etc., etc., etc...

OK - Time to get ready for rehearsal...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2004, 07:25:33 AM »

You guys are making me so hungry!

I love smoked meat sandwiches.  I love Subway's grilled chicken sandwiches.  

Does souvlaki in a pita count as a sandwich?

Favorite side dish would have to be fries.  I LOVE FRIES!

I do like sandwiches a lot.  But try to stay away from them (Atkins).  

Ben

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2004, 07:29:05 AM »

Here is a link to a POL article about Mr. Randall

According to the article he died May 18 in his sleep yesterday evening at NYU Medical Center due to complications from a prolonged illness, a spokesman said.  He was 84 years old.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86217.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 07:30:22 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2004, 07:34:06 AM »

Page Two Dance!

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2004, 07:40:03 AM »

That is so sad about Tony Randall.  And the others too (although I'm more familiar with him).

Btw, speaking of gas prices, they have gone through the roof here.  I think they are at 99.9 cents a litre.  There was an article today saying that last May the price was 69.9.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2004, 07:45:44 AM »

Thanks WEL and Ben for the news and link about Tony Randall.   He certainly had a long a varied career.  I will always remember him on the Hollywood Squares, sitting in his square wearing sunglasses and being a jerk....it was his style.

Open face tuna salad sandwiches....why oh why did DRJOSE have to mention those?

And another side dish I always order, macaroni and cheese!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2004, 07:55:06 AM »

My favorite at-home sandwich is a simple peanut butter (crunchy only please) and jelly sandwich, usually apricot jam or blueberry preserves. As a kid it was grape jelly.

I don't eat sandwiches much at restaurants, although if I do order one it will usually be a turkey club sandwich.

Ben

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2004, 07:59:09 AM »

« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 07:59:47 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2004, 08:00:45 AM »

What exactly is a french dip sandwich?

Oh and I've never tried a Philly cheesesteak sandwich.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2004, 08:18:10 AM »

Jennifer.....order one for lunch.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2004, 08:18:31 AM »

Jacques Tati is a French dip.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2004, 08:24:30 AM »

Oh and I've never tried a Philly cheesesteak sandwich.

The only way to try a Philly cheesesteak is to head for Pat's or Geno's in South Philly.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2004, 08:35:16 AM »

Jennifer.....order one for lunch.

Which one? ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2004, 08:35:49 AM »

I'm thinking back, but I don't believe I ever saw Tony Randall on stage. I enjoyed him in many, many films, of course, my two favorites being PILLOW TALK and THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO.

Sad to lose another favorite from years past.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2004, 08:48:21 AM »

Good morning. Obviously a nerve (or stomach) has been hit with the TOD! I forgot to include in my side dishes, potato salad, Hungarian cucumber salad and onion rings (but usually just picking from someone else's plate - can't eat too many or I get totally filled up).

I salute the life of Tony Randall. At first I wrote "Sad about T.R's death." Then I though about it... He had a long, interesting life, a great career, and even got to have babies as an old man. And he died in his sleep! Nothing "sad" about that. Good for you, Tony!

(Just read Matt H's post and am Modifying to add this -- Yes, it is sad to lose another favorite. That's not the kind of sadness I was writing about, of course.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 08:52:53 AM by Panni »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2004, 09:05:05 AM »

Good morning. Obviously a nerve (or stomach) has been hit with the TOD! I forgot to include in my side dishes, potato salad, Hungarian cucumber salad and onion rings (but usually just picking from someone else's plate - can't eat too many or I get totally filled up).

DR Panni, you don't like grilled Panini sandwiches?

I salute the life of Tony Randall. At first I wrote "Sad about T.R's death." Then I though about it... He had a long, interesting life, a great career, and even got to have babies as an old man. And he died in his sleep! Nothing "sad" about that. Good for you, Tony!

(Just read Matt H's post and am Modifying to add this -- Yes, it is sad to lose another favorite. That's not the kind of sadness I was writing about, of course.)

I know what you mean.  Sometimes when someone like Randall dies, you can't help step back and look at his life as a whole and say, "Well done!"

I also want to applaud Randall for his efforts in attempting to form an American repretory theatre through the National Actors Theatre.  True, they didn't always present the best work but it was a step in the right direction.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2004, 09:12:13 AM »

Yes, all three of the people who died and who were listed here (June Taylor, Anna Lee and Tony Randall) were all over eighty-five years of age.  That's a nice long life for all of them.

I'm salivating even at this hour, reading your sandwich posts.  Perhaps we ought to come up with a special haineshisway.com sandwich and side dish - what would it be?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2004, 09:12:16 AM »

The other day DRCharles Pogue wrote about HOMICIDAL....I watched the DVD last night and it's a nifty little movie.

What was so frightening to you about the movie CP?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2004, 09:16:56 AM »

I'm heading out for an Italian veal sandwich topped with sweet peppers, hot peppers, mushrooms and tomato sauce - $4.99 at San Remo Bakery.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2004, 09:32:03 AM »

French fries are probably my favorite side dish.  

PANNI I did a quick search for postcards on EBAY and the market doesn't seem extremely high except for unusual cards.  Since they are small and easy to store (maybe a shoebox) you might do well to save them.  In fact, I have written entire stories about a photo on a postcard, and they can be great for meditation.

There are also the Griffin and Sabine books by Nick Bantock.  The stories are told entirely through beautifully illustrated postcards and letters.  I have the first three books.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2004, 09:47:37 AM »

DR George: I have those books also. I love the idea.  But they really are not straightforward.  And you leave the series feeling utterly confused. :(

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2004, 09:49:07 AM »

Favorite sandwiches. Now there's a topic I know a little something about. My mom and I have been known to drive two hours to Wickenberg, Arizona for a sandwich at the Pony Espresso. Well, I go for the sandwich. She goes to shut me up because I've been whining about this sandwich.

As for side dishes, I sometimes like to incorporate them into my sandwich. Like putting french fries on a Happy Meal hamburger because if you order it without meat all you get on it is a pickle slice and some of those dehydrated rehydrated onions.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2004, 10:10:32 AM »

I'm salivating even at this hour, reading your sandwich posts.  Perhaps we ought to come up with a special haineshisway.com sandwich and side dish - what would it be?

Well, probably lots of ham and lots of bologna topped with corn relish (but no groaning).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2004, 10:10:58 AM »

I'm a fan of the Reuben.
In my youth, I was a corned beef fan, but now, I'm more likely to order pastrami.  I think it's a craving for fat.

Food chains - Subway et al. - seem genetically unable to make tasty food.  And now, to lunch.  (Then rehearsal.  Then a performance with The Chainsaw Boys at the Belt)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2004, 10:16:20 AM »

I am now craving smoked meat.  And I actually just had some on Sunday night.

Food topics are very bad.  Cause they make me so hungry! :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2004, 10:42:20 AM »

I like the Subway club every now and then.  You just have to make sure they put enough vinegar on it (with the oil) as that's the only thing that give it flavor.  There's a coffee shop on Beverly Blvd. called Jan's that used to (and probably still does) have something called a Half-Reuben (no saurkraut) which was quite delicious.  I also like a good barbecued beef sandwich as long as the restaurant has great barbecue sauce (Valley Ranch in Van Nuys is great).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2004, 10:42:44 AM »

The best Philly steak sandwiches in the world come from this little shop in Passaic, New Jersey.  The shop is an old converted railroad car, and it is parked right at the entrance to town just after you cross the bridge over the Passaic River.  One of their Philly steaks with a large Birch Bear and you are set to go.

On the other side of the country, I like most all sandwiches – Club, Reuben, PB & J, French Dip, Patty Melt, etc., etc., etc (an R & H reference).  Best sides are either a good potato (my sister’s) or a good macaroni (mine) salad.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2004, 10:43:08 AM »

Jewish corned beef on Jewish rye with Guilden's mustard.  Jewish deli-style potato salad and a half-sour pickle on the side.

More mainstream alternative:

Egg salad on sourdough toast with lettuce and tomato.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2004, 10:44:15 AM »

Welcome to our newest registered user, Kathy.  Come play wiz us.  We're talkin' about sandwiches.

I also like a good chicken salad sandwich, although I've very picky about my chicken salad.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2004, 10:44:38 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Whose favorite sandwich was bratwurst on rye.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up