Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TALE OF THE ALLERGIES  (Read 11077 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TALE OF THE ALLERGIES
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:06:21 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had allergies, and now it is time for you to post until the allergic cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE TALE OF THE ALLERGIES
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: DAEDAL!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:00:45 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:15:25 AM »

Good morning, all! The mysterious neighbor above me was walking heavily about the apartment between 3 and 4 am this morning. I'm not sure anyone's really living there; I think it and the apartment above my neighbor are being used for office space. There are several reasons:
  1. I've seen no signs of any moving vans
  2. There's very little sound coming from the apartment above me, only occasional footsteps at odd hours of the day and, lately, night.

Today, I am off to City Center for WHERE'S CHARLEY? work. Joshie and I can plan what we need to do, address score issues, and dig in.  He's found a room in an apartment not too far from where he lives in Astoria, so he's happy.

TOD:
  DVD: The Netflix items are calling me and now I want to watch THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE again
  CD: lots of unreleased McGlinn recordings, Guy Haines, Liz Callaway, Jacques Offenbach
  VCR: possible gifts for HHW friends

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:16:20 AM »

Friday??
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:16:40 AM »

Off to work.  Oh well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:13 AM »

Only for people interested in SPIDEY.  For a while, the critics have been giving high-minded reasons for reviewing SPIDEY early, but now the truth is out per Adam feldman, head of the NY Drama Critics:  it's ONLY about the papers trying to keep their share of the readership.  If SPIDEY talk bores you, obviously, pass this post by.

Subject: Critics Gone Wild follow-up: Real reason for critics invading Spider-Man, per Drama Critic Pres.

The AP seems to have coined a term "CRITICS GONE WILD."  Way below is Adam Feldman's explanation on All That Chat for the mass uninvited invasion of Spider-Man.  This e-mail is all only my opinion, as a concerned hopeful theater writer, not in any way a legal opinion.

So it seems the invasion by the critics was just about the papers' own business concerns, and had nothing to do with concerns over ticket-buyers.

To me, it feels like people buoying their own (combined-billion-dollar) newspaper businesses by essentially IMHO "violating" the talents and investment involved in a $65-million New York-based business, and it sounds like a matter for the Public Advocate - does anyone else agree?.  It strikes me that ANY SHOW AT ALL, BIG OR SMALL  that catches the fancy of the press could be subject  to being an exception now that SPIDER-MAN is a precedent.   As you know, Jeremy Gerard of Bloomberg  has already applied this principle last month to $20-ticket shows at the Public's under the Radar, which he was asked not to review.

What's to keep this from stopping a show that could be great (that is, that people here happen to like) dead in its tracks if the papers decide as a group that they need to review before it's ready to sell papers?

From Adam Feldman, head of the Drama Critics Circle, posted on All That Chat
-----------------
"Posted by:   ADFeldman 11:13 pm EST 02/10/11
Dear BklynBoy --
Sympathetic as I am with the larger point you're making -- I really do wish Spider-Man well, and look forward to seeing it in March -- I can honestly tell you that there simply wasn't any collusion among critics to bring the show down. Deciding or being pressured by highers-up to run a review at a certain time (in order not to be scooped by rivals) is quite different from conferring with your colleagues about the content of that review. I am as convinced that the latter did not happen as I am convinced that the former did.
Best,
Adam"

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:56 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is:  COLOR AND LIGHT

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:01:44 AM »

DR FJL, I have no care if SPIDERMAN fails or succeeds. I know that I have no wish to see it, but it doesn't mean I wish it ill. I do care about the fact that it seems to be in previews forever, that little work appears to be done to fix it in the time it's taken, and that the producers continue to charge full prices for a preview performance (if fools are willing to pay that price, then so be it). Do you want it to run in previews for, let's say, a year, and then have them say, it's fixed! This show is going to be the next BEATLEMANIA and run forever without opening.  It seems to me, if the producers were smart, they'd have replaced the director and writers by now.

As to the rviewers, if the show had opened in New Haven, it would have been reviewed there and in every other city where it played preview performances. The producers could decide to keep it running and fix or to close. Why should a preview opening in New York be any different?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 06:07:45 AM »

Daedal, daedal, dee!
Two ladies!
Daedal, daedal, dee!
Two ladies!
Daedal, daedal, dee!
And I'm the only man, yah!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 06:28:30 AM »

I've got tickets for "Jews and Baseball" for Sunday in very own hometown.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:40:19 AM »

Time to pack up for City Center. I'm dragging down my full scores, published vocal score, published song sheets, and a book to read on the bus.

I wish everyone a good day!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:46:24 AM »

IMHO, SPIDER-MAN is getting the treatment it deserves.  From everything I've been hearing (from informed and intelligent sources--not just what I read on All That Chat)  next to nothing has been done with tinkering the show since its first preview with the exception of adding an actual ending.  (And, of course, safety measures have been added on an as-needed basis.)   The producers claims of fowl over the early reviews because the show is still a work in progress is bullshit because it's been frozen since the beginning--the creators have demonstrated no inclination to change anything.

In any event, for now the show is critic-proof.  It's been running neck and neck with WICKED as far as weekly box office goes.  And I don't believe the audience is flooded by those who are attracted by the notoriety--there are not *that* many All That Chat posters there every evening.  The show is already a hit and will play sell-out for at least a year or two.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:48:08 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »

Have you ever noticed that Greer Garson manages to kill off Walter Pidgeon in every movie they've made together?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 07:04:17 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  For some reason, I keep thinking today is Saturday.  It's not, but it IS the 24th birthday of my DFDiL (Dear Future Daughter-in-Law) Mary Linda.  Rob, of course, is going to visit her.  Fortunately, he has his own car now and the weather looks clear for the weekend.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 07:17:35 AM »

I was very pleased with the article in today's Austin American-Statesman:

http://www.statesman.com/life/
You can dream…or you can do.

KevinH

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »

Greetings from LA!

First, thanks to all for the good wishes and travel vibes!
I arrived at around noon yesterday and met my friend Robin at "LA Live, " where the Staples Center , Nokia Center, Convention Center , etc are all located.  Ellen DeGeneres's show was doing a remote broadcast while here show was being taped in the studio.  She had asked that people dress up at their favorite musical performer for the chance to win tickets to the Grammy Awards.  

There were a couple of Lady Gagas, Michael Jackson, and Adam Lambert.  The rest of the crowd was told to act enthusiastically because we'd all be on TV and that the camera had "a wide lens," but I really don't think we'll be seen.

But there were lots of prizes for the people who got little pieces of paper with numbers on them.  Robin won a tiny camcorder that fits in your ear and I won a phone! It's an HTC Surround.  The only problem is that it's marked AT&T on the box and I have verizon.   So I'm not sure if I can use it without switching to AT&T.  Anybody know?  DR Jose?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 07:19:42 AM »

TOD:

Nothing new to watch, but I am expecting some stuff to review.  Hopefully, they will arrive today or tomorrow.
You can dream…or you can do.

KevinH

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 07:22:15 AM »

I must say that downtown LA has changed quite a bit since I was last here in 2006 (I've been to Hollywood, etc , since then, but not this part of town).  

The weather is great!  I think it was in the high 60's =low 70's yesterday and should be in the mid seventies today and tomorrow.  And to think I had to brush snow off my car before I left for the airport yesterday.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 07:32:39 AM »

DR KevinH - have a great time in LA!  Did you wave when you flew over Ohio?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

KevinH

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »

The day before I left home I received a DVD I had ordered from someone on ioffer.com.   It was a Boston Pops show from 1990.  I had searched for DVDs with a certain singer (B Barrett, who else?).  DR elmore, I'm sure you're familiar with the show.  It featured John McGlinn as the conductor using the original arrangements of classic Broadway songs.  Kitty Carlisle Hart was the gracious hostess.  It opened with a very young Jason Graae and Rebecca Luker singing Tea for Two.  Judy Kaye, Davis Gaines, Kim Criswell and Chris Groenwald (not sure of the spelling) were all in it.  They're all terrific!  The show ends with a great rendition of All the Things You Are, but the highlight for me was Brent's "Our Love is Here to Stay."  At the end he goes for the high note and sounds great!

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »

Ah, me, I've just learned that my aunt fell and is now in our local ER.  One of her sons lives out of state and the other out of the country, so guess who's going to keep her company?

Laura

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 07:36:46 AM »

Sigh. You are a good person, Ginny. Take a small blanket for her. She'll be freezing.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »

Great to hear from you, Kevin! Have a great time in LA!

Laura

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »

That was a very nice article, Druxy.

KevinH

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »

DR KevinH - have a great time in LA!  Did you wave when you flew over Ohio?

I would have, DR Ginny, but I was too distracted by a family of five who were spread out over three rows.  Dad was in the middle seat in front of my row.  Mom and 3 yr old boy were in the row with me ( I had the aisle seat) and the two older kids were behind us.  

While waiting to take off the 3 yr old kept shouting "Mommy, the plane's not going!"  He quieted down after 10 minutes or so, but during the flight he jumped over the seat to join his brother and sister and later to his father.   The kids switched seats.  The mother turned to me after about 4 hours into the 6 hour flight and said "I need a break.  I'm going to switch with my husband.  You probably need a break too--why don't you switch with that lady?"  

KevinH

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 07:49:25 AM »

Sorry about your aunt, DR Ginny.

KevinH

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »

Great to hear from you, Kevin! Have a great time in LA!

Thanks, DR Laura!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 07:52:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it was nice to be able to sleep in past 8:00 today. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 07:53:32 AM »

Happy Birthday, to DR Ginny's DFDIL Mary Linda!!!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up