Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MY HEART BELONGS TO LESLIE  (Read 35595 times)

MBarnum

Re:MY HEART BELONGS TO LESLIE
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2004, 07:39:38 AM »

Thanks for your view on Bombay Dream's Jason and Ben. Being such a fan of Bollywood I am very curious about this show. I listened to bits of the soundtrack on Amazon last night and most of what I heard I liked (of course it was very short snippets).

I did find out that SHAKALAKA BABY is from the film NAYAK. I have the soundtrack to that film, which is very good.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »

BOOKWORM-

298,270 and then in flames!

Jason

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2004, 07:46:47 AM »

I forgot to answer the topic of the day:

CD: PETE 'N KEELY (probably one of my most favorite new CDs in a long time), BELLS ARE RINGING (OBC), Marcy & Zina's Cabaret Sampler Disc 1 and THE SCREAMS OF KITTY GENOVESE.

VCR: It's broken, but if it were working, I'd still be watching the hours and hours of TLC that Jose taped for me.

DVD: Noises Off! which was just recently released...thank God...

BK: I know it's not Ask BK Day, but I'm going to forget protocol and ask anyway. Since I mentioned PETE 'N KEELY...I absolutely LOVE the National Tour Medley--I think it's a brilliant example of medley writing. However, I was reading the printed script published by Samuel French and noticed that they use different songs in the medley for certain states and cities than those that are used on the recording. When did those songs change--during the run of the show? At the recording session? Were you even aware that there was a different version of the Medley or is the first you're hearing of it? I'm completely enthralled by the show and would love to hear anything you might have to say about recording it...

Jason

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2004, 07:54:12 AM »

I hope Mr. Raines wins. He went to my Alma Mater--Oklahoma City University. I see him quite often at the Met and he's never been anything but kind.

They're filming scenes for the newest PINK PANTHER movie in our building today. They were here yesterday and people in the office said they saw Steve Martin in the main lobby when they came in.

Speaking of PINK PANTHER and OCU alums, Ms. Kristin Chenoweth is supposedly taking a supporting role in the movie. I believe her scenes are to be shot in Paris.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2004, 08:11:23 AM »

I can sympathize with trying to find the lowest price possible on these things. Once I see an announcement of an upcoming DVD release that I want, I start scouring the internet looking for the best deal. I was just brought up to be frugal and old habits die hard.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2004, 08:25:03 AM »

I just got my hours for the first week on my new job.  Six days, thirty-five hours total.  Not bad for part time.  But that's going to be a lot of time spent on training, and the three-day weekend is going to hit.

Thanks to everyone's comments on my posts from yesterday.  I wasn't thinking of being "brave" or anything like that.  I just took the opportunity to get some things off my chest that have been sitting there for a while.  Again, thanks to BK for giving us this forum.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2004, 08:57:03 AM »

SWW – Maybe I missed the announcement, but where are you going to be working?  When is your first day?  Will you be working days or evenings?  Enquiring minds want to know….

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2004, 09:13:32 AM »

DRMATTH -  I am the same way.  And I figure just by shopping around I save enough that every 5th or 6th DVD is practically FREE!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2004, 09:14:06 AM »

Media Watch:

CD (Work):  Laurie Beechman/Time Between the Time
CD (Car):  Nancy LaMott/Listen to My Heart
DVD:  CAMP  (Sorry, DR Jed, I went to Stagedoor Manor, so it's not so "yuk" for me!)
VCR: Empty, I believe, unless the final FRIENDS is still in there.....

And, if I can chime in on a subject from a couple of days ago:  Chunky peanut butter rules, with one exception:  Plain matzah, with smooth peanut butter and strawberry preserves, which, DR Jane, is one of my favorite post-Passover treats!  In a way, mine is the perfect household in which to do this, as DP (Dear Partner) John abhores chunky peanut butter, but loves smooth, so there is usually a jar of each in the house....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2004, 09:16:23 AM »

DR SWW:  First, congrats and break a leg with the new job!  Second, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your post(s) last night.  As someone who, for a few years, was fairly well immersed and then disillusioned with the Recovery program scene, I'm glad to hear that someone else has found another way to work through their addictions and issues.  While I still believe that 12-step programs are absolutely wonderful ways for people who are reaching out for help and beginning their recovery, I also know that it's not the only path to follow.  So, trite as it may be, I would like to say thanks for sharing.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2004, 09:19:39 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, sort of... I'm just a little bit out of it right now... Still groggy... Around 8:45 this morning - which is early for me - I heard this weird sound in the hallway - a kind of swooping noise followed by an announcement.  It was very faint from inside my apartment.... So, after putting on some flip-flops, I headed out into the hallway and heard the announcement - still on the soft side - and saw the flashing lights.  I headed down the stairs - thankfully, I'm only on the third floor... And as soon as I got down there the desk clerks were telling everyone it was a false alarm, so... There were fire trucks outside, and firemen were in the lobby - and they were trying to turn off the alarm.  So...

-I will say I did get a little worried when I realized - and when I heard the firemen talking about it - that the alarm system only went off on one side of the building (my side).  Hmmm...  And also that the alarm was so soft from inside my apartment.  If I wasn't already sort of half-awake, I probably would not have heard it at all.

Ah, well...

Topic of the day:
I haven't listened to anything this week, but I did get a couple of new CDs this week - well, they're new to me! ;)
Janis  Siegel's - "Friday Night Special" and "I Wish You Love"
Cheryl Bentyne's "Talk of the Town"
Bette Midler "Sings the Rosemary Clooney Songbook"
And for good measure, Dvorak's Piano Concerto (with Pierre-Laurent Aimard as the soloist) and The Golden Spinning Wheel.
*Gotta love those special, big discount, no shipping and handling sales from BMG!!

Well, it's 11:35am here on the East Coast, and I should have been at the White House by now... Alas, since the fire alarm incident started me off on the wrong foot this morning...  Ah, well...  I've been before, so...  At least I was a good boy, and I called the company manager to say I wouldn't be attending the tour.

DR SWW - So, what kind of employee discount do you get? ;)

RE: Bombay Dreams - As was mentioned in some of the reviews, they "Americanized" some of the songs - took out some of the more complex rhythms and harmonic patterns.  A friend of mine who loved the London recording and production was a bit disappointed when he saw the show over here last week.  He said it had more of an "authentic flavor" rather than being "authentic".  After thinking about it, he put the "blame" on the expanded orchestration - in London they only used something like nine players - and LOTS of samples - which is very typical of Bollywood soundtracks.  Since they're now using 17 players (? - sorry for the non-exact number counts, but I know I'm in the ballpark), some of the "sampling" is now being played, and, in some cases, in his opinion, some of it sounds "too big".  Of course, since it's now a "Broadway Musical", that could have something to do with it.. Again, just his opinion... But I think he brought up some valid points.

As for Bombay Dream's box office... The marketing department really did blitz the tour group markets.  A tour operator I know received some pretty flashy materials.  It would be interesting to find out just how much of the current business if from the NYC environs and how many are "tourists" at this point.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2004, 09:23:11 AM »

NEW YORK, NEW YORK VIBES for DR DANISE!!!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2004, 09:47:03 AM »

RE: Bombay Dreams - As was mentioned in some of the reviews, they "Americanized" some of the songs - took out some of the more complex rhythms and harmonic patterns.  A friend of mine who loved the London recording and production was a bit disappointed when he saw the show over here last week.  He said it had more of an "authentic flavor" rather than being "authentic".  After thinking about it, he put the "blame" on the expanded orchestration - in London they only used something like nine players - and LOTS of samples - which is very typical of Bollywood soundtracks.  Since they're now using 17 players (? - sorry for the non-exact number counts, but I know I'm in the ballpark), some of the "sampling" is now being played, and, in some cases, in his opinion, some of it sounds "too big".  Of course, since it's now a "Broadway Musical", that could have something to do with it.. Again, just his opinion... But I think he brought up some valid points.

And IF that point is valid. and that may be a big if . . . the dear readers might be interested in knowing why they're now using around 17 players...

The musician union forced them to.  In London, there's no similar situation, of certain houses required to pay a minimum number of musicians.  Assuming the IF, Bombay Dreams is a show meant to be heard with fewer instrumentalists and a lot of samplers.  That can't happen here in New York, due to a union contract, and the show's less likely to make money.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jason

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2004, 09:58:04 AM »

I didn't think the show sounded too big...it just sounded different, and I'm not sure why. I don't think it had much to do with over-orchestration. I think it had more to do with simplification for the American ear, rhythmically and melodically. A lot of the descants were thinned out and the rhythms seemed to be more pedantic than syncopated. At least four of the orchestra players were percussionists--two of them were perched on platforms on either side of the proscenium--but I couldn't count the rest as most of the pit is covered by the stage (I'm assuming to keep the water under control during "Shakalaka Baby").

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2004, 10:01:11 AM »

DR Noel - As for Ricky Ian Gordon, Jason Robert Brown, Michael John LaChiusa and Adam Guettel - or the "anointed" as you like to call them... None of them have had any real new work so far this century - well, maybe JRB's Last Five Years and AG's Light in the Piazza, and MJLaC's Marie Christine...

-Signature Theatre is finally doing Michael John LaChiusa's The Highest Yellow - based on van Gogh's life - next season.  Of course, it was originally announced about four or five years ago... they even had a set model already!  But...  -I have to wonder how many of the "21st Century" musicals truly started in the 21st Century.... In any case...

And if I may continue to expound on this topic for just a few more sentences...  I think the one thing these "anointed" have had in common is "luck".  Good luck, plain and simple.  It just took one - or two - of the "right" people listening to their music at the "right" time - when they were in the "right" mindset.  Or it could have been the result of a chance meeting at a bar, restaurant, party, subway ride, audition hall, grocery aisle, etc.

Oh, and they probably have good agents plugging away for them too.

Yes, we may get tired of hearing from the "same people" all the time when it comes to the sound of the "new Broadway", but at least it is something new.  Whether we like their music/shows or not.  Frankly, LaChiusa's music bewilders me at times.  JRB (as the "kids" call him) can get very "motivic" and "hookish" for me.  Adam Guettel's harmonic language sounds strained to me at times.  And Ricky Ian Gordon seems to be "trying very hard" to be "serious" (Dream True, anyone?).  BUT there are things I find I like in all of their music.  And there are things I don't like in all of their music.

And we musn't forget the recent contributions of Ahrens & Flaherty, Andrew Lippa, Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx (Avenue Q), Marc Shaiman,...

Even the "great composers" had their "lesser" moments - Beethoven, Mozart, Debussy... Porter, Loesser... Bernstein, Sondheim (as the recent discussions of Bounce seem to prove).

And among cabaret devotees, the names of Bucchino, Goldrich & Heisler, Carnelia, Freidman, Lunden & Perlman, etc. are very much heralded and esteemed.  *And I've even played a Noel Katz tune here and there at a cabaret and an in audition.

It really just comes down to luck.  That may seem like a cop out, but I don't really think it is.  And, unfortunately, in today's entertainment business - and I mean business - everything from a hairdo to an unintentionally funny off-hand remark can make or break a career - or even create one.  And I believe this not only applies to movies, TV and "pop music", but also to theatre and music theatre.

For myself - Do you have any idea how hard it is to break into a "pit" in NYC and/or on tour?  Players stay with shows for as long as they can.  And when they want to bring in someone new, it's not really someone "new" - it's someone they already know.  In some cases, it's literally a case of waiting for someone to move onto another show, retire and/or die.  -Just like getting a rent control apartment!  ::)  It's not for a lack of trying on my account - and not for a lack of some nice "connections" I've had the fortune to make over the years... There is just simply no room in the inn... well, in the pit.  I've lost count of the number of times I've heard, "I wish I could bring you on the team, but..." over the years.

Yes, I get very frustrated at times when some "lesser talents" - and sometimes even some self-admitted lesser talents(!) - happen to land a show I was hoping to get.  And, yes, I get frustrated when I find myself working "under" someone who doesn't know the show as well as I do.  But I can't let all that frustration get in my way.  I enjoy playing piano when it comes down to it.  I enjoy making music.  I enjoy what I do... Emphasis on enJOY.  If I happen to bring "baggage" into an audition room, people will notice the "baggage".  (And if an actor brings "baggage" into the audition room, most definitely will the "baggage" be noticed.)

Thankfully, I've established a nice career in the DC area and in some other markets.  And work is work.  And, thankfully, most of the time it has been good work, with good people, with good material.  Worthwhile material.  And a lot of those times, that material has been written by some lesser and unknown composers.  And we find ourselves asking, "Why wasn't this piece more successful?"  "Why didn't this writer get more recognition?"  The answer... ???

-I haven't had a "day job" in over six years - that truly is "lucky"!

Actors - with whom you work daily - have to deal with the ""IT" factor" - whatever "IT" is - ?!?!?!

Ever been to a classical piano competition?  Something as "simple" as repertoire choice - to an "ugly" dress - can mean the difference between a Gold and Silver.

And I've always wondered if Stephen Sondhem had not met Jamie Hammerstein...?

What if Comden had not met Green?

What if Rodgers had not met Hart?

What if George Gershwin's parents had not splurged on a piano?

What if Jason Robert Brown hadn't gotten divorced? ;)

What if Michael John LaChiusa and Andrew Lippa had not seen a copy of "The Wild Party" on the bookstore shelf?  -Well, that can be a loaded question for some people here. ;)

What if...?

-Yes, I'm starting to wax philosophical here - and long-winded - but the close is coming up soon...

Luck.  In the big picture sense of the word.  As I heard Lynn Redgrave say in a speech once, "Make Your Own Luck."  So much truth in that statement.  And Happiness.

-and I think I'll leave it at that for now...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2004, 10:07:57 AM »

Official TOD

DVD Player:  X-Men 2

CD car:  Annie Get Your Gun (Peters / Wopat)

CD work:  The Musical of Musicals (OO-BC)

CD home: Fever Tree (thanks again Tomovoz)

VCR:  Still watching myself (God, I love me!).  This time in Hello, Dolly!

Unofficial TOD

Was Sweeney Todd the last great Sondheim show to date?   Probably for me, it was my last favorite Sondheim show.  I never did care for Sunday in the Park with George, even though I love Bernadette and Mandy.  I like Into the Woods, but the first act seems to go on forever and the second act has far too many loose ends to tie up for its own good.  Merrily is good, but not great; and Passion, for me, is passionless.  I have yet to hear any of the music from Bounce so I will withhold judgment on that one.  
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2004, 10:14:38 AM »

And IF that point is valid. and that may be a big if . . . the dear readers might be interested in knowing why they're now using around 17 players...

The musician union forced them to.  In London, there's no similar situation, of certain houses required to pay a minimum number of musicians.  Assuming the IF, Bombay Dreams is a show meant to be heard with fewer instrumentalists and a lot of samplers.  That can't happen here in New York, due to a union contract, and the show's less likely to make money.

As DR Jason just pointed out...  The whole show - from the book, to the music to the lyrics - were overhauled for the Broadway/American production.  The producers knew that the niche market for this show is not as large over here on this side of the pond.  There are some very American jokes in the show, very American references... well, maybe "broad" is a better adjective than "American".

And, heck, with more musicians in the pit, they could have made the music even MORE complicated.

-And as for the union...  Well, the unionS...  If the IATSE (stagehands) guys had not joined the AFM last spring, the strike most likely would have gone on longer than it did.  Yes, you can quibble about the amount of musicians a theatre maybe required to hire...  But does anyone quibble with the fact that it takes a union stagehand - from a particular department - to put down a piece of spike tape?  Does anyone quibble when I can't even move a stand light cord in the pit since the electric's guys are in charge of that - even if they set it up incorrectly?  And don't get me started on IATSE overtime...  -Has there ever really been a strike caused by contract negotiations with IATSE?  Hmm... OK, I'm going to get into trouble soon, so...

-However, I've lived on both sides of the coin, and, right now, I'm a member of one side, so...

-And with the AEA contracts coming up for negotiations soon.... It will undoubtedly be very interesting.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2004, 10:15:36 AM »

Shakalaka Jose!

FYI: A new Dippin' Dots has just opened in New York City. It's on the corner of 54th & 9th Ave. Try the banana split flavor...it's fabulous!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2004, 10:21:20 AM »

MBarnum: I hadn't viewed the two Lansing videos when I wrote the notes, but I've seen them now and they're mind-blowing.  Unbelievably mind-blowing.  Especially her singing the title song from The Silencers by Elmer Bernstein.  

Re Bounce: Glad to hear all opinions.  Believe me, I always go into listening to any CD with an open mind - and believe me I WANT to like what I hear - nothing makes me happier than liking a new score.

Jason, I didn't know they'd changed anything for the medley.  I do remember that there was some question at the time of the recording about what their rights were to some of the songs, and I think at that time they may still have been in negotiations on some of them.  I have a distant memory that we almost didn't record it, but then they cleared the stuff for the recording, if I'm remembering correctly.  I suppose one could find out by checking to see if the mechanicals have been paid on those songs.  But, that's probably why they had to change some - probably couldn't come to terms for the stock and amateur rights.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2004, 10:23:12 AM »

Shakalaka Jose!

FYI: A new Dippin' Dots has just opened in New York City. It's on the corner of 54th & 9th Ave. Try the banana split flavor...it's fabulous!

Hmmmm... Dippin' Dots!!!

*Some of the movie theatres in Richmond have Dippin' Dot's machines in their lobbies.  Very cool - and convenient.  -And no pesky pimply-faced teenager who probably didn't wash his/her hands to deal with.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2004, 10:24:39 AM »

Topic o' the day:

I have gradually been making my way through the complete set of Mahler's symphonies (conducted by Leonard Bernstein) that I recently purchased.  Only Number 9 remains, and it is cued up and ready to go in my CD player.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2004, 10:26:16 AM »

MBarnum: I hadn't viewed the two Lansing videos when I wrote the notes, but I've seen them now and they're mind-blowing.  Unbelievably mind-blowing.  Especially her singing the title song from The Silencers by Elmer Bernstein.  

LOL! And Joi's attire...or lack of....you wouldn't know she was a good Mormon girl! LOL! Good ole Joi...I just adore her! It is a good thing those musical numbers weren't in 3-D, though!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2004, 10:29:18 AM »

Anyone going to see COMPANY with Judith Light, Sharon Lawrence, and Deborah Gibson at the Freud in Santa Monica?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2004, 10:32:57 AM »

Ah yes Joi is caught....caught....CAUGHT in the Web of Love!  Words can't describe it.  And exactly how many costume changes can one actress have in a video.....Silencers, anyone?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2004, 10:37:27 AM »

Well we've survived another round of broken bones--this time my younger son Zach who fell face first and broke his nose.  For several days he looked like he had survived 12 rounds with Marciano--bruised nose and two black eyes.  Poor little guy.  Evidently they don't have a "cure" for broken noses--the doctor looked up his nostrils and that was it!!

Re:  Bookworm.  Wow, if I had known you guys were into wordgames, I would have mentioned it eons ago.  I've loved it forever.  There are a ton of similar games on the MSN Game Zone site.  My kids especially love the Bee one where instead of flames, a la Bookworm, the honey is leaking out of the honeycomb.

And in my continuing unrelenting battle to understand eBay (non)logic, the item I thought would go for over $1,000 sold (to me!! Yay!) for $178.00.  Go know.

I am also trading heated emails with a fraudulent eBay seller who offered a CD rom of FF pics, several of which I own the copyright to.  Unfortunately for her, she also utilized several of FF's nephew's personal photos, and he is an attorney with the famous Farmer temper, so her goose is, as they say, cooked.

I have a nascent blog (which links right here to Haineshisway) at:

http://journals.aol.com/jmkauffman/JMKsblog/

for those who may care to visit and post pithy comments.

And in my media check, I'm currently listening to the totally delicious Brasilian guitarist Toninho Horta (BK, since you like Akkerman so much, you should check out Toninho's work, which is truly luscious).  And in my DVD player is one of the new Disney tins, all of which were on sale up here for $19.99!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 10:45:08 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2004, 10:40:50 AM »

JMK, the link doesn't work (at least for me). When I click I get an AOL error page saying they can't find the requested page.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2004, 10:41:18 AM »

Anyone going to see COMPANY with Judith Light, Sharon Lawrence, and Deborah Gibson at the Freud in Santa Monica?

That would be moi.  I go tomorrow evening.  According to today's L.A. Times, they have a 24-piece orchestra (!), which should be rather nice.

By the way (BTW in internet lingo), the Freud (pronounced "frood") is on the UCLA campus in Westwood (not Santa Monica.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2004, 10:46:52 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, Ben.  I guess it is "case sensitive"; I've fixed the link above.  Why case should be sensitive is anyone's guess.  Maybe case is a nutcase.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

William E. Lurie

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2004, 11:05:13 AM »

Elmore---
Check out Ken Mandelbaum's column on  Broadway.Com today for a nice review of FINE AND DANDY.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2004, 11:07:56 AM »

Topic o' the day:

I have gradually been making my way through the complete set of Mahler's symphonies (conducted by Leonard Bernstein) that I recently purchased.  Only Number 9 remains, and it is cued up and ready to go in my CD player.

So, then, you only have one for Mahler?
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up