Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Karma  (Read 17099 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado

Okay.  We asked it a thousand times on the main board, but I can follow instructions and now pose the question here:

Whassup with the "Karma" thing and what does it mean?

Ditto on the gold stars.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

RonPulliam

Re:Karma
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 05:56:08 PM »

You said a mouthful, Jay.

And while we're at it, it doesn't seem that the questions you asked qualify as techical problems or glitches...they're just questions about stuff we see on the other board.

Are we going to be forced to seesaw between the two boards for every question that comes up about what we're seeing or when we want to ask someone how he or she did something?

It's way too much effort for my tired mind this evening.

Hope you get a reply.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 06:21:50 PM »

So what was the answer?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 06:33:11 PM »

Patience is a virtue...
...Walk in the sunshine...

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 06:39:56 PM »

And while we're at it, it doesn't seem that the questions you asked qualify as techical problems or glitches...they're just questions about stuff we see on the other board.

Are we going to be forced to seesaw between the two boards for every question that comes up about what we're seeing or when we want to ask someone how he or she did something?

Asking questions about the workings of the forum is exactly what this board is for, in addition to needing solutions to specific technical problems.  

In addition to the help files, this is the board members go to for information regarding questions they have about how this all works. If various random questions are asked and answered in other boards it becomes more difficult both for users to find the answers as well as for those of us with the answers to keep track of what has been asked and answered.

I never suggested you come here just to ask another member how something was done. However, when it comes to specific questions about features, problems, etc. regarding the forum itself, this is the place for that discussion.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 06:49:36 PM »

The Karma feature offers community members an ability to very simply 'applaud' or 'boo' fellow community members. Some will applaud fellow users if they have something particularly funny, were helpful, were feeling down, etc. On the other hand, if someone is becoming a nuisance, members can, in a relatively light hearted manner, boo that user.

Each member has a total karma level that rises and falls by +1 or -1 based on the rest of the community.  Members cannot modify other's Karma until they have contributed at least 25 posts to the community.  In addition, members must wait 3 days between altering each community member. If you applaud me Monday you can't applaud me again until Thursday.

Membership Levels:
There are seven different levels of community membership. Each of these levels is signified by the number of stars next to their name in posts.

When a member first registers they are a "Newbie" and show one star. When a user has contributed at least 50 posts to the forums they are then "Full Members" with two stars. The same progression continues with more than 250 posts and 500 posts.

Forum administrators and moderators are signified by their different star ratings, as well. The number of posts required and the naming of each membership level can change. This is simply the default for now.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 06:55:18 PM by Mr. Mark Bakalor »

MBarnum

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 09:19:57 PM »

Thanks Mark,
That should be a fun feature! This place is full of fun features!

:D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2003, 10:11:40 PM »

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to showing some gratitude for the humor and good vibes from many of the Hainsies and Kimlets!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 08:51:11 AM »

Since I reached 26 posts - once you reach the magic number - EVERYONE ELSE'S post show [Applaud] [Boo] under the word Karma.
By clicking on one or the other - within the boundaries as discussed by Mr Mark Bakalor - you give a point or take away a point.

I gave DR MBarnum an [applaud] and he now has a Karma score of 1!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 06:45:06 PM »

Question.  I get that I can modify as many people's karma as I want, right?  But is the only way to do this, by looking at the posts from today. Is there a list somewhere that I can just check off?

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 06:48:02 PM »

Nope. You modify karma within a give user's posting. It doesn't have to be a posting made today, though. It can have been made yesterday or last year (assuming we had the board in place last year).

The karma feature really isn't intended to be used like you've referenced above. It's really a minor feature that allows users to modify another member's karma on a whim.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 06:51:14 PM »

Okay I think I misunderstood. I thought I could only do the karma thing right now. Are you saying that I can modify any person's today, tomorrow, or the next day?  I thought it was everytime a person got 25 posts they could do it.

Are you saying that once you reach 25 posts then you will always have the ability to add karma?

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 06:57:11 PM »

Er, yeah. Unless your post count dips below 25 again (or for some reason some of your forum privileges are disabled) you can give karma at any time, other than the 72 hour rule per specific member.
Pages: [1]   Go Up